collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2016 NHL playoff thread  (Read 10579 times)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Re: 2016 NHL playoff thread
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2016, 04:34:23 PM »
Separate topic but is there anyone else that dislikes the current NHL playoff set up?  Hawks finish tied for 3rd in points in the conference yet have to face the team with the 2nd most points in the Blues (who also would have a reason to dislike the set up, current series lead aside).   

This opinion is not in response to the Hawks being down 3 - 1.  I've disliked it since its inception.  Aside from the top two seeds for winning your division, I think the rest of the playoffs should be seeded by conference based on total points.     

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2016, 05:20:14 PM »
Separate topic but is there anyone else that dislikes the current NHL playoff set up?  Hawks finish tied for 3rd in points in the conference yet have to face the team with the 2nd most points in the Blues (who also would have a reason to dislike the set up, current series lead aside).   

This opinion is not in response to the Hawks being down 3 - 1.  I've disliked it since its inception.  Aside from the top two seeds for winning your division, I think the rest of the playoffs should be seeded by conference based on total points.     

I agree. Honestly who even needs divisions? Just have 2 conferences, play your entire conference equally. Seed the teams straight up 1-8.

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2016, 02:44:24 PM »
Gutty win last night.  Out-skated for all but two minutes of the overtime periods and yet they survive.  After seeing Elliott whine to the officials about non-existent interference on Kane's winner, I hope he is rattled and absolutely porous tomorrow night.

The other thing that made me happy was Pat Foley calling out (on the local broadcast) the stupidity of these 8:30 weeknight starts.  Hopefully someone in the front office is listening.  It was bad enough staying up past midnight for triple overtime games in the last few years -- now the first OT ends at 12:30.

Edit:  Just saw on the Tribune's page that NBCSN cut him off.  Figures.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/rosenblog/ct-pat-foley-late-start-rant-20160422-column.html
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 02:46:37 PM by mikekinsellaMVP »

brandx

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2016, 02:46:20 PM »
Gutty win last night.  Out-skated for all but two minutes of the overtime periods and yet they survive.  After seeing Elliott whine to the officials about non-existent interference on Kane's winner, I hope he is rattled and absolutely porous tomorrow night.

The other thing that made me happy was Pat Foley calling out (on the local broadcast) the stupidity of these 8:30 weeknight starts.  Hopefully someone in the front office is listening.  It was bad enough staying up past midnight for triple overtime games in the last few years -- now the first OT ends at 12:30.

TV. It puts money in their pockets.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2016, 06:39:30 AM »
If the NHL wants NBC's money, it will acquiesce to whatever start times NBC wants.

It does ... and it will.

Which makes the NHL like pretty much every other sports entity, as TV is the tail that walks the dog and has been for many years now.

As for the Hawks, very good win. Nice goal by Kane. The U.C. should be rockin' tonight.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2016, 09:13:01 AM »
Hockey Monkey!

Back to the Xcel tomorrow after Mikko comes through in OT.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2016, 09:58:54 AM »
Milbury's response to Foley was great.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/mike-milbury-trashes-blackhawks--pat-foley-for--late-start--rant--video-064416289.html

End of the day, this is about exposure, TV money, etc.  Mr. Foley should understand that.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2016, 12:30:16 PM »
Milbury's response to Foley was great.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/mike-milbury-trashes-blackhawks--pat-foley-for--late-start--rant--video-064416289.html

End of the day, this is about exposure, TV money, etc.  Mr. Foley should understand that.

Milbury is a chucklehead who was a terrible GM and is a terrible commentator.  It was an arrogant patronizing backhand to anyone who dares question his employer.

And its not an 8PM start, puck drop with the 830 start is usually about 845, so almost an hour later.  Pat Foley also has allegiance to the Hawks and their fans, not the big money cats up at NBC, so what does he care.  Its terrible for most fans watching the game.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2016, 01:23:59 PM »
Milbury is a chucklehead who was a terrible GM and is a terrible commentator.  It was an arrogant patronizing backhand to anyone who dares question his employer.

And its not an 8PM start, puck drop with the 830 start is usually about 845, so almost an hour later.  Pat Foley also has allegiance to the Hawks and their fans, not the big money cats up at NBC, so what does he care.  Its terrible for most fans watching the game.

Those of us on the west coast, disagree.  Blackhawks President also disagrees.  This is the playoffs, not a game against Calgary on a Thursday night in January.  The games start later, to appease a national audience. 

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2016, 01:33:23 PM »
Chicos, any thoughts on the Sharks/Kings series since you're out in that direction? I'm used to the Sharks being a regular season team and obviously they had struggled to exercise their Kings demon until last night. But  from what I saw in this series (granted, only 5 games) they seem like they are more built for playoff hockey.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2016, 04:30:03 PM »
Those of us on the west coast, disagree.  Blackhawks President also disagrees.  This is the playoffs, not a game against Calgary on a Thursday night in January.  The games start later, to appease a national audience.

McDonough is not going to complain to Bettman, that makes no sense. So I throw that out. And again, Pat Foley is Hawks affiliated, thus he's hear the opinions of fans and players of that organization. That's what he's addressing, not people in LA. I'd also imagine he's going to hear a more accurate opinion from players than
Bettman.

And I bet if you asked a hockey fan on the east coast, they'd rather flip between 2 games than stay up till 130AM to watch. But again, given your professional background, I understand your bias.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2016, 04:37:51 PM »
Chicos, any thoughts on the Sharks/Kings series since you're out in that direction? I'm used to the Sharks being a regular season team and obviously they had struggled to exercise their Kings demon until last night. But  from what I saw in this series (granted, only 5 games) they seem like they are more built for playoff hockey.

My son is the Kings fan, I'm the Ducks fan.  Sharks looked good.  They have the #3 power play in the league, and they received good goal keeping during the series.  I was surprised they took the Kings that easily.  Praying my Ducks can get it today, because we have been undisciplined and outplayed for much of this series, need to get on top of the Preds today.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2016, 04:43:22 PM »
McDonough is not going to complain to Bettman, that makes no sense. So I throw that out. And again, Pat Foley is Hawks affiliated, thus he's hear the opinions of fans and players of that organization. That's what he's addressing, not people in LA. I'd also imagine he's going to hear a more accurate opinion from players than
Bettman.

And I bet if you asked a hockey fan on the east coast, they'd rather flip between 2 games than stay up till 130AM to watch. But again, given your professional background, I understand your bias.

I'm not disputing your opinion or his, but I don't think they are rational.  This is playoff hockey and with that comes realities.  Just like MLB has to go through the same thing, or the NBA.   Foley should remember for much of his career the Blackhawks sucked balls and he would have been thrilled just to be on tv in the playoffs.  I think that was part of Milbury's response, this isn't rocket science.  Foley can hate on it all he wants.  So can the players, they have a league to sell, fans to nuture and try to get into the fold.   Foley is thinking like a regionalist, not a nationalist.  This is a big country with a lot of time zones. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2016, 09:59:43 PM »
No pressure Monday, St. Louis.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2016, 10:08:33 PM »
You want OUR Stanley Cup?  Better bring your A game.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2016, 10:21:36 PM »
I'm not disputing your opinion or his, but I don't think they are rational.  This is playoff hockey and with that comes realities.  Just like MLB has to go through the same thing, or the NBA.   Foley should remember for much of his career the Blackhawks sucked balls and he would have been thrilled just to be on tv in the playoffs.  I think that was part of Milbury's response, this isn't rocket science.  Foley can hate on it all he wants.  So can the players, they have a league to sell, fans to nuture and try to get into the fold.   Foley is thinking like a regionalist, not a nationalist.  This is a big country with a lot of time zones.

I can say with near certainty, Foley's comments were directly from Hawks brass, McDonough was just making nice for the league to see publicly, but I have zero doubt Rocky had no problem with those comments. Also, the Hawks have been pretty good most of Foley's career. Those 80's and early 90's teams consistently made the playoffs and went deep (including '92 Finals).

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2016, 10:38:20 PM »
St. Louis doing St. Louis things.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2016, 12:08:45 AM »
can't  wait for the 7th game. Hawks just seem to dig deep when they are challenged.
how do they keep adding horses when losing guys to free agency every year

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2016, 07:27:44 AM »
that crowd was incredible.  my bro-in-law was at the game and his ears are still shot this a.m.  the hawks, even when they went down 3-1, were not going to disappoint
don't...don't don't don't don't

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2016, 09:34:48 AM »
I'm not going to predict anything but if the Hawks make a deep playoff run (or even win the Cup), last night's second period will be an important inflection point.  Playoff hockey at it finest.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2016, 10:40:04 AM »
I can say with near certainty, Foley's comments were directly from Hawks brass, McDonough was just making nice for the league to see publicly, but I have zero doubt Rocky had no problem with those comments. Also, the Hawks have been pretty good most of Foley's career. Those 80's and early 90's teams consistently made the playoffs and went deep (including '92 Finals).

I was talking about the 90's through ought years where they missed the playoffs 9 of 10 years, the one year they made it lost in the first round. 

As for the comments, maybe McDonough was making nice, but if he was principled and it mattered that much, he should have said "Gary, we get it, but we're not happy about it".  That isn't what he said. 

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2016, 11:19:02 AM »
I was talking about the 90's through ought years where they missed the playoffs 9 of 10 years, the one year they made it lost in the first round. 

As for the comments, maybe McDonough was making nice, but if he was principled and it mattered that much, he should have said "Gary, we get it, but we're not happy about it".  That isn't what he said.

Love Pat Foley and absolutely hate Milbury, but I agree that the start times are a necessary evil that us CDT folks have to just deal with.
Foley knew he was on the national broadcast and was out of line to bitch on air (which, by the way, is all McDonough supposedly said to Bettman). Milbury proved to be the sniveling toadie that he is by towing the NBC line.
I was more upset with Roenick -- he needs to stick up for his guy, not fist bump the Milsbury Doughboy.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2016, 08:14:07 PM »
Not a good start

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2016, 09:04:37 PM »
Not a good start

The intensity of the 2nd is bananas

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2016, 11:05:05 PM »
That sucked. I'm not even mad, just disappointed, I think the worst part is that Brouwer got the GWG. Oh well, go Bolts, go Islanders.