[Today at 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[Today at 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Lovell releases new statement re: McAdams  (Read 45080 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Lovell releases new statement re: McAdams
« Reply #225 on: April 01, 2016, 05:16:45 PM »
why let McAdams be the only one controlling the narrative?

Marquette already weighed in.

Does one enter into a dialogue with the religious freak who knocks on one's door?

Besides, tweeting out is hardly "controlling the narrative"

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #226 on: April 01, 2016, 08:04:54 PM »
Concur.

This has nothing to do with the merits of McAdams vs the University.

Lovell issued the University position and that should have been the end of it for Marquette. Instead, he not only reacted to McAdams but did so on social media. Just a terrible decision and one beneath a university president. 

Maybe 20 years ago. Times have changed.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 08:34:39 PM by The Sultan of Sunshine »

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #227 on: April 01, 2016, 08:38:10 PM »
Maybe 20 years ago. Times have changed. Try to keep up.
This is beyond laughable.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #228 on: April 01, 2016, 08:43:51 PM »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #229 on: April 01, 2016, 09:39:13 PM »

The student was not cut off in front of class.  The entire incident occurred after class.

http://mu-warrior.blogspot.com/2014/11/marquette-philosophy-instructor-gay.html

But he was.  The student tried to talk about same sex marriage and the instructor cut him off, said he was not to talk about it.    THEN, after class the student went to talk to the instructor. 

The whole point of him going to her was because she discredited his opinion in class, causing him embarrassment and humiliation, and he voiced that opinion to her after class.  She made the comment (recorded) that some opinions are not appropriate....despite the fact they are exactly the opinions of the Catholic church.  She cut him off in class and discredited him.

After class....."Regardless of why I'm against gay marriage, it's still wrong for the teacher of a class to completely discredit one person's opinion when they may have different opinions." Abbate responded by saying: "There are some opinions that are not appropriate, that are harmful -- such as racist opinions, sexist opinions and quite honestly, do you know if anyone in the class is homosexual?"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #230 on: April 02, 2016, 12:29:33 AM »

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #231 on: April 02, 2016, 04:27:35 AM »
He's laughing at you, man

No kidding. PRN laughing at me is like a badge of honor.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #232 on: April 02, 2016, 10:09:27 AM »
I'm deeply disappointed that Lovell is taking to Twitter and crapty Medium/Tumblr blogs to bully this professor. It's unbecoming of Marquette and the office of President of the University.

It would have been so easy to keep his mouth shut after the press release. Instead he's airing dirty laundry on the internet like a teenage girl.

Really disappointing.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #233 on: April 02, 2016, 11:15:12 AM »
I'm deeply disappointed that Lovell is taking to Twitter and crapty Medium/Tumblr blogs to bully this professor. It's unbecoming of Marquette and the office of President of the University.

It would have been so easy to keep his mouth shut after the press release. Instead he's airing dirty laundry on the internet like a teenage girl.

Really disappointing.

Ironic considering the professor we're talking about and how we got here in the first place.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #234 on: April 02, 2016, 12:29:01 PM »
Ironic considering the professor we're talking about and how we got here in the first place.

How is it ironic?  Are we comparing a blog with limited readership to the official twitter and tumblr accounts and the viewership tied to the second largest Jesuit university in the United States as equal?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #235 on: April 02, 2016, 12:30:50 PM »
How is it ironic?  Are we comparing a blog with limited readership to the official twitter and tumblr accounts and the viewership tied to the second largest Jesuit university in the United States as equal?

LOL.

Now McAdams is a victim who was bullied.

Man the conservative victimization machine is in full gear I see. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #236 on: April 02, 2016, 01:01:45 PM »
Don't be obtuse.
McAdams has been airing his dirty laundry on the internet "like a teenage girl" for years.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #237 on: April 02, 2016, 02:08:05 PM »
Don't be obtuse.
McAdams has been airing his dirty laundry on the internet "like a teenage girl" for years.

So that justifies Lovell doing the same???

Now that is obtuse!

Death on call

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #238 on: April 02, 2016, 02:35:12 PM »
So that justifies Lovell doing the same???

Who said that?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #239 on: April 02, 2016, 03:34:38 PM »

LOL.

Now McAdams is a victim who was bullied.

Man the conservative victimization machine is in full gear I see.

Where am I claiming that?  In fact, where is anyone claiming that?  All I see is people not thrilled the Lovell lowered himself to going this route as a poor reflection on his position in the university. 

Maybe I'm missing the other part you are talking about.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #240 on: April 02, 2016, 03:35:46 PM »
Don't be obtuse.

Hmm, I seem to mention that he has a blog and has been posting on it.  Where did I ever say he hasn't taken shots at MU, many of them richly deserved?  I don't think I ever have, so that makes me obtuse?  Or does that make you seeking something that isn't there....again?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #241 on: April 02, 2016, 03:35:59 PM »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #242 on: April 02, 2016, 03:55:55 PM »
Who said that?

Quote from: Pakuni on Today at 11:01:45 AM

Don't be obtuse.

Not trying to pick at a scab but you justified Lovell's tweeting against McAdams in the context of McAdams doing the same for years.

I don't agree with what McAdams and I am glad Marquette finally made a final statement on the matter.

I think that Lovell diminished himself and his position as our President by tweeting out against McAdams after having closed the matter officially.

Death on call

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #243 on: April 03, 2016, 11:15:35 AM »
Quote from: Pakuni on Today at 11:01:45 AM

Don't be obtuse.

Not trying to pick at a scab but you justified Lovell's tweeting against McAdams in the context of McAdams doing the same for years.

I don't agree with what McAdams and I am glad Marquette finally made a final statement on the matter.

I think that Lovell diminished himself and his position as our President by tweeting out against McAdams after having closed the matter officially.

That's not what I did. It's an assumption you made, and you know what they say about assumptions.

I think Lovell is foolish to engage in some sort of social media feud with anyone, including McAdams. But I find it ironic that some of those criticizing Lovell are the same people who've defended the same behavior (and worse) from McAdams.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #244 on: April 03, 2016, 11:26:49 AM »
That's not what I did. It's an assumption you made, and you know what they say about assumptions.

I think Lovell is foolish to engage in some sort of social media feud with anyone, including McAdams. But I find it ironic that some of those criticizing Lovell are the same people who've defended the same behavior (and worse) from McAdams.

Lovell is the president of a university.

Having a blog is a lot different than an official social media account like Twitter in terms of reach, etc.

I'm sorry this is too nuanced for you.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #245 on: April 03, 2016, 11:35:36 AM »
Lovell is the president of a university.

Having a blog is a lot different than an official social media account like Twitter in terms of reach, etc.

I'm sorry this is too nuanced for you.

Got it. So the appropriateness of airing dirty laundry on the internet like a teenage girl is dependent upon the size of one's audience.
That's a mighty principled stance and not at all inconsistent.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #246 on: April 03, 2016, 11:43:41 AM »
Got it. So the appropriateness of airing dirty laundry on the internet like a teenage girl is dependent upon the size of one's audience.
That's a mighty principled stance and not at all inconsistent.

Nope, clearly you still don't get it.

Again....Lovell = President of the university.   Official Twitter account of university vs some professors blog.

Try...again.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #247 on: April 03, 2016, 01:49:42 PM »

I am not making an assumption. You crafted a syllogism that is flawed.

McAdams can do whatever he wishes on a personal blog. That is his right.

A GE Cap employee can do whatever he wishes on a personal blog. That is his right. And by policy GE Cap should not and will not take an adverse personnel action for what he does in his free time so long as it does not cause the enterprise harm or if the communication betrays an NDA.

McAdams or Mr GE Cap doing the same on a Marquette or GE messaging platform falls within the scrutiny of the employer.

Lovell is not tweeting as Mike Lovell - husband, father, son, and baseball fan. He is tweeting as the President of a national university. 

I don't like what McAdams did but he has that right. Marquette believes it has the right to punish him for it but that is a matter for the courts to decide.

I don't like what Mike Lovell is doing because he is not doing it as a private citizen but as the President of Marquette University. And in that capacity he is speaking for me.

There is a huge difference between the actions of McAdams and Lovell.

Death on call

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #248 on: April 03, 2016, 07:04:55 PM »
I am not making an assumption. You crafted a syllogism that is flawed.

McAdams can do whatever he wishes on a personal blog. That is his right.

A GE Cap employee can do whatever he wishes on a personal blog. That is his right. And by policy GE Cap should not and will not take an adverse personnel action for what he does in his free time so long as it does not cause the enterprise harm or if the communication betrays an NDA.

McAdams or Mr GE Cap doing the same on a Marquette or GE messaging platform falls within the scrutiny of the employer.

Lovell is not tweeting as Mike Lovell - husband, father, son, and baseball fan. He is tweeting as the President of a national university. 

I don't like what McAdams did but he has that right. Marquette believes it has the right to punish him for it but that is a matter for the courts to decide.

I don't like what Mike Lovell is doing because he is not doing it as a private citizen but as the President of Marquette University. And in that capacity he is speaking for me.

wait, one more time, only slow down ;D

if i could find a picture for them, i'd post it
don't...don't don't don't don't

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #249 on: April 03, 2016, 08:09:11 PM »

Right.  Lovell's was awesome.  McAdams' was foolish.

Maybe someday you will judge your Marquette diploma worthy of wiping your ass again.  Excuse me for not caring when that day occurs.

feedback