[Today at 03:17:33 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Lovell releases new statement re: McAdams  (Read 44130 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Lovell releases new statement re: McAdams
« on: March 24, 2016, 12:24:45 PM »
So, a decision has been made, but it doesn't say exactly what that decision is ... though I'm guessing bad news for McAdams.

https://news.marquette.edu/message-from-president-michael-r-lovell-to-the-marquette-community-march-24-2016/
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 12:37:05 PM by Pakuni »

GGGG

• All American
Re: Lovell releases new statement re: McAdams
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 12:33:04 PM »
Strategically released during spring break on the day before Good Friday.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 01:21:31 PM »
" I can assure you that my decision has been guided by Marquette University’s values and is solely based on Professor McAdams’ actions, and not political or ideological views expressed in his blog."

That says to me that he's been fired.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 01:30:38 PM »
Let's bring on the lawsuit.  Depositions of professors should be fun.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 01:57:11 PM »
I hope McAdams fries Marquette.

Death on call

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 02:13:25 PM »
I hope McAdams fries Marquette.

Oh stop, you're better than that Keefe. She was a students and that's honestly the long and short of the argument. I don't like Marquette for a lot of things but this is actually one thing I'm very proud of the university for doing.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 02:18:47 PM »
Let's bring on the lawsuit.  Depositions of professors should be fun.

I'll be fascinated to see how the lawsuit plays out.

MUfan12

• All American

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 05:22:46 PM »

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 06:54:55 PM »
Seems like the kind of reasonable compromise sure to upset both sides.

I'm glad Marquette finally went with the smart response over the knee-jerk politically-correct one.  I'm guessing McAdams will still sue, but his case just got a lot weaker.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 07:37:12 PM »
So he wasn't fired.  MU backs down \ compromises.    I like the compromise, more importantly I like that he sticks around.  It was absurd. 

Everyone likes to define winners and losers here.   I feel McAdams wins for sure.  It will be interesting to see if he is stubborn about it.  I'd take it and scream victory.

For MU, good compromise...they have less egg on their face here in my opinion.  Pragmatic, common sense.  I wouldn't say they come out losers on this, but not winners....instead, maybe even a bit compassionate.

I'd also be curious to hear what some of the students and professors that pushed so hard for him to be fired have to say.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 08:11:21 PM »
Oh stop, you're better than that Keefe. She was a students and that's honestly the long and short of the argument. I don't like Marquette for a lot of things but this is actually one thing I'm very proud of the university for doing.

The compromise is the best possible end game.

My issue is not about the specifics of the McAdams case but the process and precedent it would set.

Forget about the TA/Student question and judge this on the strategic import. That is the issue.

A great man named houwarrior once wrote, "I disapprove of what Chico says but I defend to the death his right to say it!"

I think a French philosopher picked up on that and used it in Paris.

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2016, 08:29:45 AM »
I'm glad Marquette finally went with the smart response over the knee-jerk politically-correct one.  I'm guessing McAdams will still sue, but his case just got a lot weaker.

This whole issue had nothing to do with "political correctness."  So tired of people using that as some sort of debate-ending crutch.

It had to do with his actions toward a student.  I'm not going to rehash that debate because it has been done to death.  Marquette followed its procedures and this is where it lead.  My guess is that McAdams will sue, and they might come to some sort of an agreement and that's fine.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2016, 09:32:59 AM »
Everyone likes to define winners and losers here.   I feel McAdams wins for sure.  It will be interesting to see if he is stubborn about it.  I'd take it and scream victory.

No real winners in this situation.

The loser is the graduate student who was publicly bullied by a tenured faculty member who should know better.

McAdams is lucky. If he still has the gall to not issue an apology (which he is required to do or face termination), and then sue MU over this compromise, I will have lost any remaining shred of respect for him as a human being.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 09:36:23 AM by Coleman »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2016, 09:51:04 AM »
"While the university's announcement said that the punishment imposed on McAdams was the recommendation of a faculty panel, the lawyer for McAdams said that the faculty panel never recommended a required apology. (A spokesman for Marquette declined to answer questions on whether the apology was in fact imposed by President Michael Lovell and was not based on a faculty panel's report.)"

Just follow the damn procedure.  Lovell is being stupid here.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2016, 09:52:39 AM »
So the punishment is fair without the apology?  If the compromise/punishment is ok why would an acknowledgement of what he is being punished for take it from a don't sue to a litigious situation? 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2016, 09:58:42 AM »
So the punishment is fair without the apology?  If the compromise/punishment is ok why would an acknowledgement of what he is being punished for take it from a don't sue to a litigious situation? 

Because the punishment was determined within the bounds of the procedures that Marquette has established.  Adding on a meaningless, and obviously forced apology serves no real purpose other than giving him an avenue to sue.  It simply isn't necessary.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2016, 10:04:04 AM »
Because the punishment was determined within the bounds of the procedures that Marquette has established.  Adding on a meaningless, and obviously forced apology serves no real purpose other than giving him an avenue to sue.  It simply isn't necessary.

Got it.  I just read it as Lovell staying true to what he stated from the beginning that this was about fostering a faculty environment true to the MU values.  Maybe this is his way to ensure that all his employees understand he is serious. 

I didn't realize this triggers what you say - but - maybe that is his point and he is willing to go the distance to ensure his message is clear to all.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2016, 10:07:02 AM »

+1

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2016, 10:14:09 AM »
Got it.  I just read it as Lovell staying true to what he stated from the beginning that this was about fostering a faculty environment true to the MU values.  Maybe this is his way to ensure that all his employees understand he is serious. 

I didn't realize this triggers what you say - but - maybe that is his point and he is willing to go the distance to ensure his message is clear to all.

Maybe.  And maybe he has the authority to add on provisions like this.  But I just think its time for MU to move on.  They made their point, they got their pound of flesh...

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2016, 10:15:15 AM »

Maybe.  And maybe he has the authority to add on provisions like this.  But I just think its time for MU to move on.  They made their point, they got their pound of flesh...

Agree -- you could turn it around too and ask what a persons true motivations are if he will sue over an apology to some grad student.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2016, 10:15:19 AM »

This whole issue had nothing to do with "political correctness."  So tired of people using that as some sort of debate-ending crutch.

It had to do with his actions toward a student.  I'm not going to rehash that debate because it has been done to death.  Marquette followed its procedures and this is where it lead.  My guess is that McAdams will sue, and they might come to some sort of an agreement and that's fine.

Perhaps I don't understand the dual status of teacher and student and how that negates authority and concomitant responsibility. I come from a world where chain of command and authority are unambiguous and absolute. If you have the authority you also carry the responsibility.

People say she was a student but, in fact, the issue at hand occurred when she was serving in her capacity as an instructor. And it specifically involved her interaction as the instructor of a student.

McAdams was not commenting on her classroom performance as a student but, rather, how she used her authority as an instructor.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2016, 10:16:35 AM »
No real winners in this situation.

The loser is the graduate student who was publicly bullied by a tenured faculty member who should know better.

McAdams is lucky. If he still has the gall to not issue an apology (which he is required to do or face termination), and then sue MU over this compromise, I will have lost any remaining shred of respect for him as a human being.

What about the undergraduate student who was bullied publicly by this instructor? A person given authority must accept the attendant responsibility.

Death on call

feedback