[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[June 15, 2024, 04:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Lovell releases new statement re: McAdams  (Read 45088 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Lovell releases new statement re: McAdams
« Reply #125 on: March 31, 2016, 12:35:01 PM »

This is what you wrote:

"Lovell craves the spotlight and focuses on the flash. Schissel brings the gravitas of an accomplished scholar to the role of senior executive. I much prefer the latter over the former."

You were clearly implying it.  If Lovell is an accomplished scholar, why would you bring up that attribute to describe Schissel in a paragraph clearly setting out to contrast the two?

Here is my suggestion:

"While both are accomplished scholars, Lovell craves the spotlight and focuses on the flash, whereas Schissel leads in a much more reserved role away from the limelight. I much prefer the latter over the former."

You're welcome.

I am an excellent writer and stand by my phrasing: "Lovell craves the spotlight and focuses on the flash. Schissel brings the gravitas of an accomplished scholar to the role of senior executive. I much prefer the latter over the former."

Mike Lovell does things that Mark Schissel never would. These two men have different perspectives on how they wish to present themselves. I prefer Schissel's understated dignity.

From your reply I have to wonder what grade you got in logic...I got an A from Fr Davitt.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #126 on: March 31, 2016, 12:46:42 PM »
I can see how you got here, but having seen Lovell speak at an alumni event, I would disagree - seems very humble. 

He does have a lot of big ideas and seems to find it very important to support and foster the mission of MU.  Based on what he said a couple years ago its the over-riding reason he chose MU rather than going on the public university path he was on. 

I agree that Wild had plenty of controversy in his tenure and I believe public 'messaging' of those controversies was one thing people criticized MU over. 

At the end of the day Lovell is choosing to take a stand here...let's see how it goes.

Liquor

My comment is removed from the whole McAdams mess.

This is an observation on style. I hope Lovell does a fine job at Marquette. But he has a different style than what I would otherwise want in the leader of a university.

I have seen how a President putting himself above the institution can impact the university negatively. There is a reason Lawrence Summers is doing cameos in movies today. Marquette doesn't have the same margin for error as Harvard - and Marquette is still hurting from the Pilarz fiasco.

Frankly, I prefer the more understated approach to university leadership. There is a marked difference between Mark Schissel or Drew Gilpin Faust and Mike Lovell. With the former it is all about the institution. With the latter there is more of the individual in the messaging. I think we all know how a cult of personality can turn out.

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #127 on: March 31, 2016, 12:53:58 PM »
I am an excellent writer and stand by my phrasing: "Lovell craves the spotlight and focuses on the flash. Schissel brings the gravitas of an accomplished scholar to the role of senior executive. I much prefer the latter over the former."

Mike Lovell does things that Mark Schissel never would. These two men have different perspectives on how they wish to present themselves. I prefer Schissel's understated dignity.

From your reply I have to wonder what grade you got in logic...I got an A from Fr Davitt.

As someone who writes and edits for a living, I think your written communication skills in this instance were far below "excellent."

Try harder next time and hopefully you will improve! 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #129 on: March 31, 2016, 01:04:17 PM »

As someone who writes and edits for a living, I think your written communication skills in this instance were far below "excellent."

Try harder next time and hopefully you will improve!

While I may know a lot about flow dynamics and chemical kinetics I also write and speak for a living. My communications skills are superb.

Let me know if you need help with some edits!

Death on call

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #130 on: March 31, 2016, 01:06:35 PM »
So when Lovell gets the university's endowment up to heights never seen with new dorms, athletic facilities and classroom building are we still gonna be bitching about taking a stand about a professor that was clearly out of line?

Lovell has done more in 2 years then Pilarz would have done in about 20, Wild too. Also who gives a damn that he isn't a priest or taken a vow of poverty. Have you seen the new jes res with their 3 million dollar wine cellar?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #131 on: March 31, 2016, 01:10:25 PM »
So when Lovell gets the university's endowment up to heights never seen with new dorms, athletic facilities and classroom building are we still gonna be bitching about taking a stand about a professor that was clearly out of line?

Lovell has done more in 2 years then Pilarz would have done in about 20, Wild too. Also who gives a damn that he isn't a priest or taken a vow of poverty. Have you seen the new jes res with their 3 million dollar wine cellar?

Lovell hasn't even come close to what Wild accomplished at Marquette.  And Lovell would readily admit that.  If Lovell has a career that comes even close to Wild's, he would be considered TREMENDOUSLY successful.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #132 on: March 31, 2016, 01:12:01 PM »

Lovell hasn't even come close to what Wild accomplished at Marquette.  And Lovell would readily admit that.  If Lovell has a career that comes even close to Wild's, he would be considered TREMENDOUSLY successful.

On this we agree. Wholeheartedly, in fact.

Death on call

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #133 on: March 31, 2016, 03:09:08 PM »

Recency error. Lovell, while I think will accomplish a lot of good, has not even begun to approach the heights Father Wild did. I think he gets there but we're talking years from now.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #134 on: March 31, 2016, 03:14:11 PM »
Recency error. Lovell, while I think will accomplish a lot of good, has not even begun to approach the heights Father Wild did. I think he gets there but we're talking years from now.

I hate to think where Marquette would be were it not for Bob Wild.

After DiUlio MU could have ended up in a very different place. Was Bob Wild perfect? Of course not. But he was the right man, in the right place, at the right time. Imagine if DiUlio had been succeeded by Pilarz... Good Lord...

Death on call

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #135 on: March 31, 2016, 03:22:16 PM »
I hate to think where Marquette would be were it not for Bob Wild.

After DiUlio MU could have ended up in a very different place. Was Bob Wild perfect? Of course not. But he was the right man, in the right place, at the right time. Imagine if DiUlio had been succeeded by Pilarz... Good Lord...

Well we wouldn't be having this conversation because I wouldn't have gone to Marquette.....so I guess it's one of the things Wild got wrong  ;)
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #136 on: March 31, 2016, 03:24:13 PM »
Well we wouldn't be having this conversation because I wouldn't have gone to Marquette.....so I guess it's one of the things Wild got wrong  ;)

Damn Bob Wild!

Death on call

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #137 on: March 31, 2016, 07:07:45 PM »
Yea...if you guys don't think the student was harmed at all, go look at Lovell's twitter account with the attached link. Cmon man, that's just awful. McAdams really hurt the students career and personal life.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #138 on: March 31, 2016, 07:11:53 PM »
Also, the worst part is some of these people blindly follow McAdams like some of you here. They don't even know what the girl looks like (asking for a picture) and are still pursuing making her life a living hell.

What if this happened to your daughter. You'd be pretty pissed off and want an apology too, so no more with the BS excuses.

We live in such a divided, angry and selfish country, I'm just tired of it man, just honestly so tired. It's so hard to stay mad anymore, it's just exhausting.because I will bet you any damn amount of money, if that is your daughter you want that man fired. Guaranteed.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #139 on: March 31, 2016, 07:42:44 PM »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #140 on: March 31, 2016, 10:18:58 PM »
Lovell's little twitter outburst tonight was embarrassing.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #141 on: March 31, 2016, 10:41:07 PM »
I agree with his decision and I applaud Mike's willingness to speak out. Despite the fact that he was a mentor of mine 35 years ago, John has devolved to someone who is no longer a person for others.  Done. Out.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #142 on: March 31, 2016, 10:45:20 PM »
John has devolved to someone who is no longer a person for others.

Not the case. And I have first-hand experience with how accommodating and caring of a prof he is.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #143 on: March 31, 2016, 10:46:53 PM »
Lovell's little twitter outburst tonight was embarrassing.

Your daughter. Now keep telling me what mcadams did was right.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #144 on: March 31, 2016, 10:48:25 PM »
Your daughter. Now keep telling me what mcadams did was right.

Two separate issues. It is possible to think he handled it poorly, and also think the punishment was excessive.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 10:50:19 PM by MUfan12 »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #145 on: March 31, 2016, 10:51:53 PM »
When we look at effects I have to ask: What did Lovell hope to accomplish with this message? The university handed down its decision. McAdams chose to reply.

But what was gained by Lovell's message? Did he think he could alter McAdams' position or intended course of action?

Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor. A more learned leader would have known that nothing more needed to be said and that nothing good could have come from this communication.

Mike Lovell lessened himself tonight.

Death on call

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #146 on: March 31, 2016, 10:53:27 PM »
Two separate issues. It is possible to think he handled it poorly, and also think the punishment was excessive.

All I'm saying is if what he did lead to the abuse this student is getting, intended or not, he should get fired. If that was my sister, he would have gotten a well deserved throat punch from me.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #147 on: March 31, 2016, 10:54:29 PM »
All I'm saying is if what he did lead to the abuse this student is getting, intended or not, he should get fired. If that was my sister, he would have gotten a well deserved throat punch from me.

*led

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #148 on: March 31, 2016, 10:57:19 PM »
Not the case. And I have first-hand experience with how accommodating and caring of a prof he is.

Me too 12. Dare I say decades before you were even born.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #149 on: March 31, 2016, 10:59:20 PM »
Me too 12. Dare I say decades before you were even born.

Sure, but your post said he's no longer that person. What I was saying is I have recent experience with him that speaks to the opposite.

feedback