Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Question on Henry's announcement  (Read 98171 times)

Windyplayer

• All American
Re: Question on Henry's announcement
« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2016, 11:59:04 AM »
Doubt it matters one way or the other. Maybe to Markus it would matter but I doubt it would to Henry.
Agreed. Henry would have went to Kentucky or Michigan State if his primary interest was being a part of stone cold lock tourney team during his recruitment. However, now that he's proven himself worthy of the NBA, he may want a tourney run before be bolts.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2016, 12:05:05 PM »
What's an elona gay?

think he meant Ebola Gay

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2016, 12:10:32 PM »
Agreed. Henry would have went to Kentucky or Michigan State if his primary interest was being a part of stone cold lock tourney team during his recruitment. However, now that he's proven himself worthy of the NBA, he may want a tourney run before be bolts.

Perhaps. But I would think the threat of injury—and another year of critics/scouts poking holes in his game—would drive him to leave now. Also, this is an all-time weak draft. Next year, he might not be a sure-fire lottery pick.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2016, 12:13:41 PM »
I would say that when you're in pretty much every first round mock draft out there, you don't need to test the waters.  But as those who evaluate these things for sports media start focusing heavily on the draft, you are starting to hear comments on things that might drop Henry's draft stock from lottery to lower lottery or later in the first round - lack of lateral quickness, 3 pointers not falling, etc.  IMO If he goes, he is in no danger of falling out of the first round.  The decision is his and his alone.

There has recently been a little more media discussion about the salary cap increase coming next year -- that this draft could be the last chance for teams to lock in high quality draftees at "bargain" prices for three to five years. Next year will likely bring a new, higher rookie scale and possibly a quicker path for rookies to the big $$.  I know we've had a lot of debates on here about taking the money now and being in line for the big $$ quicker v. waiting for the new bargaining agreement, and I'm not convinced it will play a role in Henry's decision.  Just noting that the new articles about the difference between this year's draftees and next year's are making it more clear that the teams are more advantaged with this year's rookie scale, and the draftees may be better off under the new agreement.

Hmm, another good reason to come back next season?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2016, 12:30:39 PM »

You have yet to say he gowne to any of the rumors that have been posted in the past day. Therefore I can only assume:

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2016, 03:09:49 PM »
Henry is back.  Rarely post, but I have a very very good source.

If your source isn't named H. Ellenson or Henry E., it's pretty much worthless.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #107 on: March 18, 2016, 03:10:35 PM »
Guess Dan Feldman didn't read John Ellenson's response tweets.  This is how rumors get started.  8-)
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2016, 04:26:56 PM »
What's the opposite of Hiroshima?

It's still Hiroshima, except the bomb is landing on our opponents.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 04:34:13 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

brandx

« Reply #109 on: March 18, 2016, 04:28:57 PM »
think he meant Ebola Gay

Yup.

That's about as close as Elona Gay

History is a lost art :-\

CubillanSandwich

• Walk-On
« Reply #110 on: March 18, 2016, 08:26:44 PM »

Fair enough.  Have a great night. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #111 on: March 18, 2016, 08:27:52 PM »

I'd also accept a source of W. Ellenson or Wally E.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #112 on: March 19, 2016, 12:25:14 PM »

I must say - I like this dudes confidence.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #113 on: March 19, 2016, 01:02:32 PM »
I must say - I like this dudes confidence username.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #114 on: March 21, 2016, 11:29:00 AM »

You still feeling confident?

onepost

• All American
« Reply #115 on: March 21, 2016, 11:55:15 AM »
This has hints of "mom's cousin's friend's....." but bare with me.

Kinda echoes the SI draft ranking discussion.  One of my good friends from MU met up with a girl we both knew from MU who is now working at SI.  She told him "the people in the know" at SI are hearing Henry doesn't think he's ready yet to really contribute and wants to come back for 1 year.  Take it for what it's worth, but he's as realist as it gets on #mubb and sounded optimistic for the first time regarding Henry back.

I've had a growing sense of optimism with Henry for about a month now so I'll admittedly grasp at any 1-more-year straws.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #116 on: March 21, 2016, 12:06:01 PM »
Kinda echoes the SI draft ranking discussion.  One of my good friends from MU met up with a girl we both knew from MU who is now working at SI.  She told him "the people in the know" at SI are hearing Henry doesn't think he's ready yet to really contribute and wants to come back for 1 year.

Who are the people in the know at SI? I haven't really followed their mock draft coverage

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #117 on: March 21, 2016, 12:59:19 PM »
While trying to remain optimistic, I still feel that Henry will declare in the coming weeks.  If he stays, it would be an unbelievable momentum builder into next year, not to mention keeping so much of the team intact for next year.  While I do think his decision will be harder than most will admit, money almost always wins. 

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #118 on: March 21, 2016, 01:16:21 PM »
Just a random question that probably doesn't have an easy answer...I am asking generally but this certainly applies to Henry

Is it better to enter the NBA as a highly rated 1 and done prospect who is at 80% potential and have a decent, but not spectacular rookie year?

OR

Stay an extra year, improve, and enter at 90% of your potential and have a bigger impact in your rookie year?

Which is better for financial and long-term career prospects? You are giving up one year's salary up front but if it means you get drafter higher (bigger rookie contract) than you would have, and make a bigger impact right away your next contract will be significantly better.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #119 on: March 21, 2016, 01:19:58 PM »
While trying to remain optimistic, I still feel that Henry will declare in the coming weeks.  If he stays, it would be an unbelievable momentum builder into next year, not to mention keeping so much of the team intact for next year.  While I do think his decision will be harder than most will admit, money almost always wins.

As much as the money almost wins argument is very true, and I've been there with money. There are some people that realize memories and experiences are worth more. This kid will make his millions and will be an NBA player. He knows that, his family knows that. If I knew I was going to make my millions (baring a freak event) I would do what makes me happiest. And maybe for him it's another year with his buddies before its business and agents and chicks that want him for his money and bar fights with Larry Sanders at 720 on Milwaukee st.

That being said, I would be surprised if he stayed. But hey, I wish I had focused more on memories than money when I was a wee bit younger.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #120 on: March 21, 2016, 01:21:41 PM »

Which is better for financial and long-term career prospects? You are giving up one year's salary up front but if it means you get drafter higher (bigger rookie contract) than you would have, and make a bigger impact right away your next contract will be significantly better.

I think it depends how much higher you go the next year.  If you move from the #12 pick to #3, you might be better off waiting.  If you move from #5 to #3, you're probably better off taking a slightly smaller contract and investing the money.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #121 on: March 21, 2016, 01:27:49 PM »

Kinda echoes the SI draft ranking discussion.  One of my good friends from MU met up with a girl we both knew from MU who is now working at SI.  She told him "the people in the know" at SI are hearing Henry doesn't think he's ready yet to really contribute and wants to come back for 1 year.  Take it for what it's worth, but he's as realist as it gets on #mubb and sounded optimistic for the first time regarding Henry back.

I've had a growing sense of optimism with Henry for about a month now so I'll admittedly grasp at any 1-more-year straws.

My friends in the talent scouting industry have heard the opposite.  Specifically they've been 2 wording it with "he gone." It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 02:57:30 PM by JakeBarnes »
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #122 on: March 21, 2016, 01:45:51 PM »

I'm biting hard on this.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #123 on: March 21, 2016, 04:37:06 PM »
My friends in the talent scouting industry have heard the opposite.  Specifically they've been 2 wording it with "he gone." It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Darn it, JakeBarnes. That's not what we want to hear :)

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #124 on: March 21, 2016, 07:05:19 PM »
I just hope he does not sign with an agent. He can get a good idea where he will be drafted and then if it is not what he was thinking he can comeback. However, it would screw with Wojo's spring recruiting.

feedback