[Today at 04:14:05 PM]

Incoming freshmen by BCHoopster
[Today at 04:07:40 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 02:48:09 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 08:27:08 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Butler did it.  (Read 10148 times)

tower912

• All American
The Butler did it.
« on: March 05, 2016, 03:41:37 PM »
1.   That is what a senior led team is supposed to look like.
2.   That is what a home crowd is supposed to look like.
3.   That is what home officiating is supposed to look like.
4.    Wojo should have gotten T'd in the first half when it still mattered. 
5.   Serious lack of defensive intensity today by Marquette.   
6.   Sandy, it was too little, too late, but it was good to see a shot go in for you, young man.
7.   I don't like to see 1-man teams, but everybody else was standing around.   
8.   A bookend to the Iowa game.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
Re: The Butler did it.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 03:43:48 PM »
3.   That is what home officiating is supposed to look like.
6.   Sandy, it was too little, too late, but it was good to see a shot go in for you, young man.

Those three officials should not be allowed within a mile of a D1 basketball game again.  They were absolutely one of the worst crews in recent memory. 

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 03:45:29 PM »

Would not blame HE wanting to leave after this fiasco. If he did not show up we might have scored only 50 points.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 03:46:07 PM »
What in the world was up w/ Cheatham today?  Wow, he was some kind of bad.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 03:46:24 PM »

Agree with these but don't think #6 was worth mentioning. Garbage time play is meaningless.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 03:47:33 PM »
Yeah, but he hadn't made anything in ages.    At this point for Sandy, I will take garbage time hoops. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 03:48:59 PM »
Yeah, but he hadn't made anything in ages.    At this point for Sandy, I will take garbage time hoops.

Sometimes you just need to see the ball go in the basket a few times.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2016, 03:51:58 PM »
This game was aggrivating as heck. The season on the line, all of the experience we have and we end up playing like we did against Iowa. Only worse because Butler isn't Iowa.

I'll get over it but I'm disgusted. We saw how good our team could be against Georgetown and then see this pile of excrement. We have a long, long way to go to be good again.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 03:52:04 PM »
Agree with these but don't think #6 was worth mentioning. Garbage time play is meaningless.

It's not like he was talking Sandy up and saying he was "back to form".

Just mentioned it's nice to see a guy whose been so lost make a few shots.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 03:53:18 PM »
This game was aggrivating as heck. The season on the line, all of the experience we have and we end up playing like we did against Iowa. Only worse because Butler isn't Iowa.

I'll get over it but I'm disgusted. We saw how good our team could be against Georgetown and then see this pile of excrement. We have a long, long way to go to be good again.

In all fairness, we have to win as many games to make the tournament now as we did before this game.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2016, 03:53:58 PM »

Actually with how Iowa has regressed to mean the teams are pretty similar.

Veteran squads that can score on anyone when they click. But also prone to self destruct.

I'd put Martin, Dunham and Jones up against Uthoff, Jok and whoever you want to call their 3rd best player.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

nyg

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2016, 03:55:36 PM »
Cheatham was scoreless, but only one turnover

Cohen had a great four minute stretch, but by then Butler up 30 and didn't give a crap.  Been brutal in BE play, maybe it gets him going just abit confidence wise, he can really use it. 

Duane and his free throws, always short.

Fischer and his foul issues, wow.  Last game, no trouble and he scores 23 in 34 minutes.  Dread next year when he gets number 2 in first five minutes and only one on bench is Heldt.  Maybe something coaches can work with him in off season.

Time to move on to NYC, need a win or two for NIT bid. 

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2016, 03:58:49 PM »

Cohen had a great four minute stretch, but by then Butler up 30 and didn't give a crap.  Been brutal in BE play, maybe it gets him going just abit confidence wise, he can really use it. 

Fischer and his foul issues, wow.  Last game, no trouble and he scores 23 in 34 minutes.  Dread next year when he gets number 2 in first five minutes and only one on bench is Heldt.  Maybe something coaches can work with him in off season.

Fisher had the stupidest foul in the first half literally shoving the Butler dude out of bounds under the basket in front of the ref. amazing.

SuddenSam

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2016, 04:00:07 PM »
The young boys steamrolled in so many ways, much to blame on ourselves.  No good D, no good refs, no good Luke, no good shooting, no good FT's to at least give us something in first half.  Finishing the yr. like we started.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2016, 04:00:42 PM »

He hasn't been brutal, he's been absent - for whatever reason, he's lost his offensive aggressiveness and any scoring mentality.   He's been mysteriously at two- three shot attempts per game in conference.  It was good to see him make plays and shots, garbage time or not.  He needs to build on this now.  He's an important player in their rebuilding.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2016, 04:01:52 PM »
Fisher had the stupidest foul in the first half literally shoving the Butler dude out of bounds under the basket in front of the ref. amazing.

Definitely so, and it was with Butler forcing and missing a three with the shot clock expiring, making it even more stunning what he did there.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2016, 04:06:18 PM »

That was a really nice flop.  That type of contact happens every play under the basket. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2016, 04:07:18 PM »
He hasn't been brutal, he's been absent - for whatever reason, he's lost his offensive aggressiveness and any scoring mentality.   He's been mysteriously at two- three shot attempts per game in conference.  It was good to see him make plays and shots, garbage time or not.  He needs to build on this now. He's an important player in their rebuilding.

Yeah I'm not so sure about that. 

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2016, 04:07:47 PM »
That was a really nice flop.  That type of contact happens every play under the basket.

The Butler guy sold it yes, but it was still a foul and a really dumb play by Fischer.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2016, 04:11:15 PM »

Yeah I'm not so sure about that.
+1. IMO, there will be off season options for all parties involved.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2016, 04:12:10 PM »
Well I don't mean he will leave.  I mean I just don't know how "important" he will be. 

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2016, 04:15:16 PM »
Well I don't mean he will leave.  I mean I just don't know how "important" he will be. 

He has a big decision for himself.  We are pretty deep next year at his spot and I haven't seen that Sandy can play big.

brandx

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2016, 04:20:04 PM »
Those three officials should not be allowed within a mile of a D1 basketball game again.  They were absolutely one of the worst crews in recent memory.

I've seen a lot of complaining this year about the refs. This time it is warranted.

Not as far as affecting the outcome - obviously, since MU made no effort to try to win - but it was far and away the worst I've seen this year in any conference.

Of course I am only talking about the 1st half. For the 2nd half, I put out the same efforts as MU today and turned the game off.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2016, 04:22:45 PM »
  • Butler was a buzzsaw today. We play our best and they still would have beat us by 10.
  • Don't get why we don't mix in zone more. Luke goes out, Henry looks exhausted, and we're still in man. Fine if man is the base D, but you need to occasionally protect your players.
  • I'd love to know what would have happened without Hank today. No one else really rose to the occasion, would they have without him?
  • Hope this doesn't kill confidence. Need at least one at MSG to be assured of a postseason invite.
  • I hope our kids look like Butler's guys did today when they are juniors and seniors.
  • The refs didn't decide the game, but they also didn't make it easy on us. Very uneven game. Understandable why Wojo looked frustrated...again.
  • St John's, Xavier, Seton Hall, Villanova. Let's do this.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2016, 04:33:46 PM »
  • Lost all four factors, worst defensive efficiency of the season
  • Hank was All Big East today, the rest of team was All SWAC
  • Had no jump in our step
  • Wojo should have popped his buttons earlier

feedback