'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Today in Conference Reallignment  (Read 16270 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: Today in Conference Reallignment
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2016, 08:39:56 AM »
We complain about how our conference schedule has lost a lot of marquis games. I can't imagine what UConn fans say about theirs.

In women's basketball, UConn is typically beating other conference members by forty points.  Can't sustain a top program with that big of a lack of quality competition.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2016, 08:57:06 AM »
I saw this Twitter exchange posted on another board.

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
Ok so now I can share my ACC info

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
ESPN not launching ACCN. Going to offer ACC an extra $30m per year on contract to give each school a $2m bump.

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
ESPN also going to make members of ACC sign a new GOR in order to get the $

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
Several ACC schools expected to not agree with this. ESPN trying to avert B10 gutting ACC.

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
This will be ESPNs last ditch effort to keep ACC intact.

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
FSU,UVA,UNC, Duke, Clemson, and GT are all going to be opposed of GOR

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
ACC will not get their extra $$ if GOR not signed by all. 

MH3 ‏@MH3 · 48m48 minutes ago
Just to clarify: ACC GOR would not be an extension of the current GOR but a new GOR entirely with no backdoor clause hinging on ACCN launch

The current ESPN contract always stated that of no network was launched then the deal and GOR would be reworked within a certain time period

MH3 ‏@MH3 · 49m49 minutes ago
And the time is up

ESPN is already losing $$ on current ACC deal and would be losing more by giving more $$

Back when ACC was making $14m per school and it looked like FSU and Clemson were leaving ESPN threw more $& at ACC

MH3 ‏@MH3 · 47m47 minutes ago
Then the cord cutting started in earnest and profits began to plummet and cuts were made

MH3 ‏@MH3 · 47m47 minutes ago
Now ESPN has backed itself in a corner and it is cheaper to thrown$30m per year at ACC than to lose way more trying to launch a network

MH3 ‏@MH3 · 46m46 minutes ago
B12N is only feasible to ESPN because it would use the existing LHN infrastructure and LHN already has carriage in heart of B12

Brad Weiss ‏@UConnPittDad · 48m48 minutes ago
@MH3 is UCONN is squarly in the mix?

MH3‏@MH3
@UConnPittDad yes. Very much so. Vital market for a conference network to obtain.

MH3 ‏@MH3 · 45m45 minutes ago
ESPN was in a position where it was going to have to pay the old BigEast a big payday to keep the rights because the ratings were there

MH3 ‏@MH3 · 44m44 minutes ago
Instead they used ACC to destroy BE and now it is looking like it is the ACC's time to take the fall

‏@ · 44m44 minutes ago
ESPN gets most of what they want with B12 and SEC

And buys some of what they want from B10.

And then they have some of the PAC for the games no one outside of California gives a damn about.

I haven't heard anything about a back door clause hinging on the ACC Network being launched. If its true, it would be very interesting. He is right about one thing, an ACC network would not do well. I could see ESPN not wanting to spend the money on that.

If the ACC blows up, it will make realignment very interesting. It might open the possibility of Notre Dame coming back to us. But it could also hurt the Big East. If the ACC tries to replace teams with basketball only members, we might see a school or two defect. Georgetown wanted that back when the C7 first broke off. Don't know if things have changed since then.

All that being said, until I see some more reputable sources picking up on this. I'm not expecting anything anytime soon. But the realignment carousel will spin again. Just got to make sure the Big East are takers and not taken when that day comes.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2016, 08:59:32 AM »
We complain about how our conference schedule has lost a lot of marquis games. I can't imagine what UConn fans say about theirs.

I am sure the team itself would prefer that we didn't have any Marquis games.  The uniforms are really uncomfortable.

Have some patience, FFS.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2016, 09:07:54 AM »
I think what matters most for MU is we are part of a conference of like minded institutions that has a primary focus on basketball, has stability and also is an attractive platform for the rest of our athletic offerings.

Over time the NCAA units will pile up for everyone in the league which should allow all the teams in the league to continue have the ability to improve their programs, if they so choose.

When the TV contract comes up for renewal there will be multiple bidders and I am confident the Big East will do fine.

Marquette is in the best position it could possibly be by being in the Big East.  We do not have a football program so we are not going to be in the Power 5 conferences. Our Big East conference is much stronger and has more upside than the A-10 or the American. One notable development is all of the Big East schools are doing very well in recruiting. The kids are excited about playing in our league and like the campus environment that our schools offer.

FIFY  Some allowance needed to be made for DePaul.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2016, 09:20:25 AM »
Agree with your point generally, but Pitt is also AAU.

Unfortunately for Pitt, they do nothing for the Big Ten regarding expansion of the base for the Big Ten network.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2016, 10:01:10 AM »
In women's basketball, UConn is typically beating other conference members by forty points.  Can't sustain a top program with that big of a lack of quality competition.

UConn's women's basketball team beats everybody by 40 points.  Their bench is the number 2 team in the country.  Their current 66 game winning streak all have been double digits wins.  Their senior class is 142-5, their junior class is 107-1.  They are unwatchable as none of their games are competitive.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2016, 10:05:18 AM »
UConn's women's basketball team beats everybody by 40 points.  Their bench is the number 2 team in the country.  Their current 66 game winning streak all have been double digits wins.  Their senior class is 142-5, their junior class is 107-1.  They are unwatchable as none of their games are competitive.

And that is against non-conference foes (top teams in the country).  Truly amazing streak and not sure that the conference matters one bit.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2016, 10:09:07 AM »
I haven't heard anything about a back door clause hinging on the ACC Network being launched. If its true, it would be very interesting. He is right about one thing, an ACC network would not do well. I could see ESPN not wanting to spend the money on that.

If the ACC blows up, it will make realignment very interesting. It might open the possibility of Notre Dame coming back to us. But it could also hurt the Big East. If the ACC tries to replace teams with basketball only members, we might see a school or two defect. Georgetown wanted that back when the C7 first broke off. Don't know if things have changed since then.

All that being said, until I see some more reputable sources picking up on this. I'm not expecting anything anytime soon. But the realignment carousel will spin again. Just got to make sure the Big East are takers and not taken when that day comes.

I'm not so sure about this.  If Duke and UNC bolt for the B10 (and UVA and GTech, to boot), I think the Big East is probably a better conference than that gutted version of the ACC.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2016, 10:14:09 AM »
I am sure the team itself would prefer that we didn't have any Marquis games.  The uniforms are really uncomfortable.

Somebody had to say it.  Well done.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2016, 10:18:04 AM »
Somebody had to say it.  Well done.

A reflection of my (lack of) erudition I guess, but this is what came to my mind when I read his post

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2016, 10:20:40 AM »
I'm not so sure about this.  If Duke and UNC bolt for the B10 (and UVA and GTech, to boot), I think the Big East is probably a better conference than that gutted version of the ACC.

Better, or at least a wash. 

I could understand why GTown might prefer the current ACC to the current BE.  But if the ACC loses some of its best basketball members to the B10, there would be far less reason to go.  The basketball teams by conference would be fairly close - UL, Cuse, maybe NC State at the top of the ACC.  Nova, X, hopefully MU back at the top of the BE.  Maybe this still gives a nod to the ACC...but then you have to add the inherent instability of being a hoops-only school in a conference with mostly football schools.

I think GTown would appreciate the BE a bit more if the ACC falls apart.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2016, 10:22:16 AM »
A buddy of mine has confirmed that Georgia Tech has sent Andy Samberg's cousin to meet with B10 reps about coming to Georgia Tech

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/98nNpzE6gIs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/98nNpzE6gIs</a>

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2016, 10:23:04 AM »
There are only going to be four schools that the Big 10 would likely accept from the ACC: Virginia, Duke, UNC, and Georgia Tech. Those are the only schools in the ACC that are AAU as well which is a big deal. Nebraska is the only school that isn't AAU in the Big 10 and when they lost that rating just after joining the Big 10 they were almost kicked out.

There is no way a Florida State or Miami is going to fit into the Big 10. The Big 10 just wants to access the south, they don't have to go all the way into Florida for that.

Good point. I was thinking the Big 10's main reasons for expansion would be 1) to challenge the SEC for football supremacy; and 2) to broaden the conference footprint and audience. But I think you're right about the importance of 3) academic standards.

Maybe I've got the priority all wrong. Nebraska, Rutgers and Maryland didn't exactly add new football powerhouses to the Big Ten.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2016, 10:28:44 AM »

Maybe I've got the priority all wrong. Nebraska, Rutgers and Maryland didn't exactly add new football powerhouses to the Big Ten.

True.  But to be fair, Nebraska seemed to be coming back to prominence just before joining the B10.  In its last two seasons before joining, they finished ranked #14 and #20 in the AP.  Not anywhere near the peak of their success, but not bad either.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2016, 10:31:02 AM »
True.  But to be fair, Nebraska seemed to be coming back to prominence just before joining the B10.  In its last two seasons before joining, they finished ranked #14 and #20 in the AP.  Not anywhere near the peak of their success, but not bad either.

Nebraska is a big college football brand that draws eyeballs to the BTN.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2016, 10:33:09 AM »
Good point. I was thinking the Big 10's main reasons for expansion would be 1) to challenge the SEC for football supremacy; and 2) to broaden the conference footprint and audience. But I think you're right about the importance of 3) academic standards.

Money is the first, second and third reasons why the Big Ten expanded.  They brought in a national football brand in Nebraska, and two public universities in the two largest metropolitan areas on the east coast.  Access for the Big Ten network, which is just printing money for the conference right now.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2016, 10:46:42 AM »
Better, or at least a wash. 

I could understand why GTown might prefer the current ACC to the current BE.  But if the ACC loses some of its best basketball members to the B10, there would be far less reason to go.  The basketball teams by conference would be fairly close - UL, Cuse, maybe NC State at the top of the ACC.  Nova, X, hopefully MU back at the top of the BE.  Maybe this still gives a nod to the ACC...but then you have to add the inherent instability of being a hoops-only school in a conference with mostly football schools.

I think GTown would appreciate the BE a bit more if the ACC falls apart.

And if a few leave for the Big10 who's to say others won't follow to leave for the SEC or Big XII (with a new TV Network)?

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2016, 10:57:47 AM »
Do you think Notre Dame sees its affiliation with the ACC as a success?

It's pretty clear they've valued football independence over all else, and wanted no part of the C7 (and/or vice-versa). Perhaps the ACC is the only major conference willing to put up with ND being an "almost but not exactly" full member. Seems kind of like the kind of "arrangement" an unfaithful husband might have with his wife. Neither gets the benefit of a true commitment, but it has the appearance of stability and it's better than the alternative.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2016, 11:05:29 AM »
Do you think Notre Dame sees its affiliation with the ACC as a success?

It's pretty clear they've valued football independence over all else, and wanted no part of the C7 (and/or vice-versa). Perhaps the ACC is the only major conference willing to put up with ND being an "almost but not exactly" full member. Seems kind of like the kind of "arrangement" an unfaithful husband might have with his wife. Neither gets the benefit of a true commitment, but it has the appearance of stability and it's better than the alternative.

Oh I think Notre Dame is thrilled with their membership.  As you mention, they didn't have to give up football independence, yet they reap the benefits of conference bowl tie ins.  And they get the benefit of aligning their other sports with a pretty good conference. 

The Big Ten or SEC would never allow them to join as a partial member.  The Big 12 might but the conference doesn't really fit their profile.  The Pac 12 is too geographically distant. 

That being said, would ND prefer the BE versus a gutted ACC?  Not sure.  The football bowl tie ins are important.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2016, 11:17:47 AM »

Oh I think Notre Dame is thrilled with their membership.  As you mention, they didn't have to give up football independence, yet they reap the benefits of conference bowl tie ins.  And they get the benefit of aligning their other sports with a pretty good conference. 

That being said, would ND prefer the BE versus a gutted ACC?  Not sure.  The football bowl tie ins are important.

Hit the nail on the head. The main reason ND is in the ACC is the bowl tie ins. With the current structure of the CFP if ND didn't make that they would be playing in mid December bowl games since almost every other game has conference tie ins. While the average fan may think playing in a December 31st Bowl Game is no difference, it means millions of dollars to a school like ND, who doesn't have to split that money wit conference members.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2016, 12:20:03 PM »
This is accurate. Under Bo Pelini Nebraska averaged a 9-4 season.  Also Nebraska has a very committed fan base, so away games at places like Northwestern etc. are sellouts.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2016, 12:32:17 PM »

Marquette has a pretty good history with Marquis games, at least Marquis Estill.

feedback