Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Allstate echoes  (Read 20755 times)

bradley center bat

• All American
Re: Allstate echoes
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2016, 10:55:11 AM »

4.  The Marquette alum next to me,"I'veheard this Ellenson guy is pretty good, but I don't know anything else about the team."

You should invite him to watch the team. Most games are on national tv.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2016, 10:58:13 AM »
Finally looked at the box score -- 16 assists on 26 made baskets is nice to see.  And the assists were pretty much spread around the team.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2016, 11:21:27 AM »

The BE must be ripping their hair out over DePaul.  At least St. Johns is trying.

I wonder if they could, the BEast would trade DePaul for Loyola
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2016, 11:28:15 AM »
Duane starting to alternate heavy-usage games and very low-usage games. It's interesting.

Finally looked at the box score -- 16 assists on 26 made baskets is nice to see.  And the assists were pretty much spread around the team.

That's 61.5%, which is essentially our season average. The assists to FGM numbers aren't something I get excited about.

MU's #30 in the nation with regard to this stat.. but it doesn't correlate to a good offense. (MU, for example, is #201 in offensive efficiency.) It's more of a descriptive stat -- indicative of style and personnel.

Duke's got a sub-50% assist-to-FGM rate.. but an incredibly efficient offense.

However, I will say I'm impressed with some of JjJ's passes.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2016, 11:38:31 AM »
Duane starting to alternate heavy-usage games and very low-usage games. It's interesting.

That's 61.5%, which is essentially our season average. The assists to FGM numbers aren't something I get excited about.

MU's #30 in the nation with regard to this stat.. but it doesn't correlate to a good offense. (MU, for example, is #201 in offensive efficiency.) It's more of a descriptive stat -- indicative of style and personnel.

Where do you get 201 in offensive efficiency? I see Kenpom has the adjusted offense at 172.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2016, 11:40:55 AM »

Yeah like any chick with THAT body went to Marquette.

Hey Sultan.  Chick looked that good then and still does.  Only difference is blonde hair.  Now me on the other hand.......

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2016, 11:52:45 AM »
Where do you get 201 in offensive efficiency? I see Kenpom has the adjusted offense at 172.

Since you're already there, you can find 201 at kenpom.com.

By design, his adjusted offense is for PROJECTION PURPOSES, although it does incorporate actual results. Again, by design, the kenpom model is limited in flexibility and a user should make further adjustments for projection purposes.

Nonetheless, the topic at hand was A/FGM, an actual results-based stats.. so I'd prefer to use an unadjusted stat when talking about correlation.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2016, 11:53:18 AM »
Hey Sultan.  Chick looked that good then and still does.  Only difference is blonde hair.  Now me on the other hand.......

Wonder if Chick and her fellow chicklets says this about the MU Male Scoopers when they see this guy in this tee?  "Yeah like any blaze with THAT body went to Marquette?"

I mean my diet of Real Chili, double hops, curds and the wheel of sausage sampler has left me svelte-like I know.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2016, 11:56:17 AM »

Good answer.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2016, 12:00:17 PM »
Since you're already there, you can find 201 at kenpom.com.

By design, his adjusted offense is for PROJECTION PURPOSES, although it does incorporate actual results. Again, by design, the kenpom model is limited in flexibility and a user should make further adjustments for projection purposes.

Nonetheless, the topic at hand was A/FGM, an actual results-based stats.. so I'd prefer to use an unadjusted stat when talking about correlation.

Got it, thanks

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2016, 12:51:01 PM »
Hey Sultan.  Chick looked that good then and still does. 

This post is decidedly incomplete without pics.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2016, 01:20:46 PM »

Well played.   :)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2016, 03:49:24 PM »

He had those two one-handed bullets off high dribbles that were flat out beautiful

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2016, 09:12:07 AM »
With all the what we need at the 4 talk, I think the perfect MU player were he available now is Jon Harris. Dude was yoked, could get in there and fight for rebounds and make the other team work on defense, and I believe he was the first "sheriff" in Homer parlance. Guy wasn't really a scorer and his free throws were atrocious but his energy, rebounding, and toughness next year would help take this talent into the tournament next year.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2016, 09:56:07 AM »

This post is decidedly incomplete without pics.

#9 - Though shalt not covet thy fellow Scooper's wife.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2016, 10:19:45 AM »
#9 - Though shalt not covet thy fellow Scooper's wife.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

I don't covet her.  (No offense to her.  I'm sure she is quite the catch.) 

I just require proof.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2016, 11:06:12 AM »

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

I don't covet her.  (No offense to her.  I'm sure she is quite the catch.) 

I just require proof.

Trust but verify eh?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2016, 11:26:10 AM »
On a basketball related note, MU did a nice job hedging in the high pick and rolls.   Luke and Henry came out and turned the PG away from the basket and then recovered well.   Looked like Otule.   Granted, it was against the back up PG's from DePaul, so it is difficult to tell if it shows an improvement on defense.   The true test comes on Wednesday.   And then on Saturday.   And repeat. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2016, 03:46:13 PM »
On a basketball related note, MU did a nice job hedging in the high pick and rolls.   Luke and Henry came out and turned the PG away from the basket and then recovered well.   Looked like Otule.   Granted, it was against the back up PG's from DePaul, so it is difficult to tell if it shows an improvement on defense.   The true test comes on Wednesday.   And then on Saturday.   And repeat.

I understand this----but I just hate to see OTule/now Fischer get a foul hedging on a screen 25' from the hoop.  They both found/find themselves in enough foul trouble as it is, when they pick up that cheap foul......and it is Luke's 2nd with 8 minutes to go in the first half and he comes out, I wonder was it worth it?  Similar feeling on the 30+ screens that Luke sets on the offensive end...........one of those will get called.....again 25' from the hoop.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2016, 08:31:30 AM »
Side note, how bad is attendance there normally?

DePaul averaged an announced crowd of 6,238 last season (2014-15), good enough for last in the Big East.

Creighton 17,048
Marquette 13,657
Xavier 9,998
Villanova 9,639
Georgetown 9,630
Providence 8,614
Seton Hall 7,587
St. John's 7,463
Butler 7,373
DePaul 6,238

Butts-in-seats is a different story. According to Crain's Chicago Business, DePaul drew a turnstile count of 32,977 fans last season....total (2,198 per game average). http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20150302/BLOGS04/150229828/depaul-hoops-attendance-up-but-way-below-mcpier-projections

The Marquette game in 2014-15 drew 4,579 fans on New Year's Eve. Even that modest turnstile count was enough to raise DePaul's average turnstile count by 170 people.

This year, it's not much different (numbers are announced attendance, not turnstile count):
Western Michigan (McGrath-Phillips Arena) 4,001
Chicago State 5,215
Arkansas-Little Rock (McGrath-Phillips Arena) 1,740
Northwestern 6,351
George Washington 5,289
--------CONFERENCE SEASON----------
Georgetown 5,873
Butler 5,427
Creighton 5,534
Xavier 6,958
Providence 5,114
Villanova 6,393
Marquette 8,524

DePaul's 2015-16 announced average attendance through 12 games is 4,825. The Marquette game was their highest-drawing game of the year to date, and raised their average announced attendance by 337 people.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

MU82

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2016, 09:13:26 AM »
DePaul averaged an announced crowd of 6,238 last season (2014-15), good enough for last in the Big East.

Creighton 17,048
Marquette 13,657
Xavier 9,998
Villanova 9,639
Georgetown 9,630
Providence 8,614
Seton Hall 7,587
St. John's 7,463
Butler 7,373
DePaul 6,238

Butts-in-seats is a different story. According to Crain's Chicago Business, DePaul drew a turnstile count of 32,977 fans last season....total (2,198 per game average). http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20150302/BLOGS04/150229828/depaul-hoops-attendance-up-but-way-below-mcpier-projections

The Marquette game in 2014-15 drew 4,579 fans on New Year's Eve. Even that modest turnstile count was enough to raise DePaul's average turnstile count by 170 people.

This year, it's not much different (numbers are announced attendance, not turnstile count):
Western Michigan (McGrath-Phillips Arena) 4,001
Chicago State 5,215
Arkansas-Little Rock (McGrath-Phillips Arena) 1,740
Northwestern 6,351
George Washington 5,289
--------CONFERENCE SEASON----------
Georgetown 5,873
Butler 5,427
Creighton 5,534
Xavier 6,958
Providence 5,114
Villanova 6,393
Marquette 8,524

DePaul's 2015-16 announced average attendance through 12 games is 4,825. The Marquette game was their highest-drawing game of the year to date, and raised their average announced attendance by 337 people.

Wow, interesting stuff.

This one especially stood out to me: Northwestern 6,351.

That's another Chicago-area program with precious little support. I remember a few Scoopers claiming this would be the year Northwestern would finally "break through." Funny. Even the Cubs get to the playoffs every so often!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2016, 09:21:39 AM »
Wow, interesting stuff.

That's another Chicago-area program with precious little support. I remember a few Scoopers claiming this would be the year Northwestern would finally "break through." Funny. Even the Cubs get to the playoffs every so often!

Win and they will come, like with most any team. Also Welsh-Ryan only holds about 8k, so even the sellouts aren't raising the average that much.

Do think Collins gets them to the dance before he's done there, though.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2016, 09:28:31 AM »
Win and they will come, like with most any team. Also Welsh-Ryan only holds about 8k, so even the sellouts aren't raising the average that much.

Do think Collins gets them to the dance before he's done there, though.

My point is that if Northwestern fans -- both of them -- really wanted to come out and see a game and not be limited to the number of people Welsh-Ryan holds, they could have gone to the Horizon and watched their heroes take on an opponent they likely would defeat (and did actually defeat).

Instead, they mostly said, "meh."

I have no reason to believe Collins will be any more successful than Carmody, O'Neill, Foster or Falk.

Carmody actually put together consecutive 20-win seasons as well as Northwestern's only .500 BT season since the late-60s, but he still never really got close to getting into the tournament.

Hey, it's kind of cool in its own way that Northwestern is the only power-conference team NEVER to have gotten to the NCAAs. Cool and amazing, given the expansion of the tournament.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2016, 09:29:32 AM »
Wow, interesting stuff.

I actually read an article on a Northwestern blog that proposed the idea of a "Chicago Five" modeled on Philadelphia's Big Five. The author seemed unaware of the fact that the Big Five works because all five teams in the Big Five (Villanova, Penn, St. Joe's, LaSalle, and Temple) are actually good. They make frequent trips to the NCAA.

In contrast, the "Chicago Five" proposal was offered as a way to help juice the attendance problems of:
Northwestern (never made NCAA)
DePaul (2 NCAA berths since 1993, none since 2004)
Loyola (1 NCAA berth since 1969, none since 1985)
UIC (3 NCAA berths in 35 years, none since 2004, zero NCAA wins)
and Chicago State (Never made NCAA).

In short, the Big Five works because of the programs, not for the programs.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2016, 10:15:09 AM »
I actually read an article on a Northwestern blog that proposed the idea of a "Chicago Five" modeled on Philadelphia's Big Five. The author seemed unaware of the fact that the Big Five works because all five teams in the Big Five (Villanova, Penn, St. Joe's, LaSalle, and Temple) are actually good. They make frequent trips to the NCAA.

In contrast, the "Chicago Five" proposal was offered as a way to help juice the attendance problems of:
Northwestern (never made NCAA)
DePaul (2 NCAA berths since 1993, none since 2004)
Loyola (1 NCAA berth since 1969, none since 1985)
UIC (3 NCAA berths in 35 years, none since 2004, zero NCAA wins)
and Chicago State (Never made NCAA).

In short, the Big Five works because of the programs, not for the programs.

Reading about a "Chicago Five" made me think "well it must be a poor-man's version of the Philly Big Five"

But wowzers.  After seeing the actual "Chicago Five" list, I see that it's not a poor-man's version of the Philly Big Five, it's a I-have-shingles-and-my-wife-just-left-me-for-my-best-friend-hey-can-you-spare-ninety-cents-so-that-I-can-catch-the-bus-home version of the Philly Big Five.