collapse

* Recent Posts

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 06:36:07 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 06:25:35 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Super bowl thread  (Read 14068 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Super bowl thread
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2016, 10:48:50 AM »
He didn't want an opposing team's sign in his home stadium so he tore it down. It had nothing to do with the sign not being about him. If a Packer player did that, GB fans would think it was awesome. Rodgers wouldn't do it though because he's far too image-conscious.

Honestly, I feel like you simply don't like Cam so you're trying to find reasons to justify it.

Okay he tore a sign down because it was an opposing team's sign. That doesn't make it any better. That's a punk move and I'd call it a punk move if it were $cam, Rodgers, Manning, Haha Clinton Dix, Josh Sitton, anyone. It's a flat out punk move.

I actually liked $cam for most of his time in college. Then I realized he was a punk (not a criminal like the guys 82 mentions, there's a difference between a punk and a criminal).
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2016, 10:57:26 AM »
Okay he tore a sign down because it was an opposing team's sign. That doesn't make it any better. That's a punk move and I'd call it a punk move if it were $cam, Rodgers, Manning, Haha Clinton Dix, Josh Sitton, anyone. It's a flat out punk move.

I actually liked $cam for most of his time in college. Then I realized he was a punk (not a criminal like the guys 82 mentions, there's a difference between a punk and a criminal).

So, do you not like Clay Matthews? He's a world class punk.

Rodgers is an overly-sensitive, aloof douche who cares strongly about his personal statistics. Is that better than being a punk?

I just want to see where you draw the line  ;)

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2016, 10:58:13 AM »
I don't have any problem with his press conference. It's who he is, has been and likely will be.

The real issue is not going for that fumble. He backed away from it! Down 1 score late in the super bowl? Fight for that ball.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2016, 11:11:07 AM »
Looking at the actual language in the NFL rules on complete/incomplete is confusing.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised because everyone knows that the NFL can't get it straight on what is a catch or not - this isn't a new problem.  Part of the problem in this case is that there seem to be two rules that could apply because Cotchery lost control of the ball twice and then regained control twice with the ball arguably touching the ground in between.

Rule 8; Section 1 ("Forward Pass"); Article 3 ("Completed or Intercepted Pass"); Item 1 ("Player Going to the Ground"):  "...If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball until after his initial contact with the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone.  If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete.  If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.

This rule makes it seem like a catch.  Cotchery had control; then he lost control of the ball but regained control as he rolled over prior to the ball touching the ground (it never did touch the ground after he rolled over - there was conclusive footage of that).  But this isn't the specific rule for when the ball touches the ground.  That comes later.  This is the rule for if the player hits the ground and loses control, it's still a catch if the ball never hits the ground.

Rule 8; Section 1 ("Forward Pass"); Article 3 ("Completed or Intercepted Pass"); Item 4 ("Ball Touches the Ground"):  If the ball touches the ground after the player secures control of it, it is a catch, provided the player continues to maintain control.

I think this rule leads to a different conclusion.  Cotchery initially bobbled and then gained control.  When he hit the ground, the ball touched the ground and he lost control and bobbled it as he was rolling over.  Under this rule, that makes it seem like it is not a catch because he did not continue to maintain control after it touched the ground.  I'm not sure that the fact that he regained control before it hit the ground again saves the catch.  I assume -- and that's all it is, my assumption -- that this was the basis of the call.

I still thought it was going to be overturned, but I think a lot of the confusion is from focusing on the every end of the play (that he didn't let it hit the ground "again") and not the first part of the play (when the ball did appear to hit the ground -- or at least it was not conclusive).
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2016, 11:15:24 AM »
So, do you not like Clay Matthews? He's a world class punk.

Rodgers is an overly-sensitive, aloof douche who cares strongly about his personal statistics. Is that better than being a punk?

I just want to see where you draw the line  ;)

Clay Matthews is a punk?  For what?  He's a pretty boy, but I'm not sure that being a pretty boy  makes somebody a "world class punk."

Yes, caring about personal statistics is better than being a punk lol.  I can accept a quarterback being willing to take a sack over throwing a pick more than I can accept a quarterback telling a heckler he's going to "smack the sh!t" out of him or tearing down a sign a fan made lol.  Guess that makes me a fanboy of Rodgers's :o
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 11:19:07 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2016, 11:19:07 AM »
Clay Matthews is a punk?  For what?  He's a pretty boy, but I'm not sure that being a pretty boy  makes somebody a "world class punk."

Yes, caring about personal statistics is better than being a punk lol.  I can accept a quarterback being willing to take a sack over throwing a pick more than I can accept a quarterback telling a heckler he's going to "smack the sh!t" out of him or tearing down a sign a fan made lol.  Guess that makes me a fanboy of Rodgers's :o

Thanks. This answers my question.

Packers = Good
Non-Packers who are talented = Bad

Got it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2016, 11:19:57 AM »
Thanks. This answers my question.

Packers = Good
Non-Packers who are talented = Bad

Got it.

Lolololol.  So good.

Your turn.  What makes Clay Matthews a "world class punk?"

Taking a sack = as bad as telling a heckler you'll smack the sh!t out of them or ripping down personal property?

Got it.

Talk about an apples to oranges comparison.  Holy cow lol.

I think Letroy Guillon's a POS.  I think Andrew Quarless is hilariously an idiot for shooting a gun and trying to hide behind a palm tree.

Uh oh, there goes your theory!   :o

When a Packer does something stupid beyond *GASP!* taking a sack or *GASP* telling Collin Kaepernik he "ain't no Russell Wilson, bro" I might have a problem with it.  But spraying a little water in your hair doesn't make you a punk, sorry.  Has nothing to do with the team you're on.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 11:28:26 AM by wadesworld »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2016, 11:42:09 AM »
Bill Romanowski must be a Packers fan, ai'na?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2016, 12:02:05 PM »
I've worked with the Mannings for a decade because of his relationship with Directv.  Never came across as a douche nozzle.  We spend days with these guys on shoots, etc. 

Just my two cents.  I was cheering for him to win and I can tell you being in that stadium it felt 80% were behind him and the Broncos.

I shudder when people speak of St. Peyton. I have heard he is a pretty dull guy, actually. As you can imagine, I have a lot of friends who are airline pilots. And the stupid stuff some of those guys do despite being married is shameless. They are my friends but I don't have to live with them. And I would never characterize them as model husbands as the public does with Peyton Manning. And if any of them ever started hanging around my sisters or daughter I would cut their balls off.

Eli, on the other hand, is a complete dick. I have heard that from several friends who live in NYC. 

I live near Russell Wilson and will say that he is a really normal, down to earth guy. I see him all the time, more so before his wife left him for Golden Tate, and he is just a regular guy at the Safeway, Top Pot, or Starbucks.

I think what these guys do on the field is extraordinary. But to act like an ass in a restaurant because you play football is absurd. We have guys on Scoop doing God's work at the Mayo Clinic and in advanced neurological research. If anyone should feel a sense of entitlement it is those guys.

Death on call

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2016, 12:06:54 PM »
Lolololol.  So good.

Your turn.  What makes Clay Matthews a "world class punk?"

Taking a sack = as bad as telling a heckler you'll smack the sh!t out of them or ripping down personal property?

Got it.

Talk about an apples to oranges comparison.  Holy cow lol.

I think Letroy Guillon's a POS.  I think Andrew Quarless is hilariously an idiot for shooting a gun and trying to hide behind a palm tree.

Uh oh, there goes your theory!   :o

When a Packer does something stupid beyond *GASP!* taking a sack or *GASP* telling Collin Kaepernik he "ain't no Russell Wilson, bro" I might have a problem with it.  But spraying a little water in your hair doesn't make you a punk, sorry.  Has nothing to do with the team you're on.

Sigh...

As you've proven time and time and time and time again on the NFL thread, when it comes to football, you tend to veer into meathead territory where impartiality is a foreign concept so I'm going to let this go. That way other posters can get back to discussing the actual Super Bowl and not your angry, biased opinions of certain players.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2016, 12:08:23 PM »
I think what these guys do on the field is extraordinary. But to act like an ass in a restaurant because you play football is absurd. We have guys on Scoop doing God's work at the Mayo Clinic and in advanced neurological research. If anyone should feel a sense of entitlement it is those guys.

Yes, because there's no more humble group of people than doctors.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2016, 12:09:01 PM »
Oh great, it's turned into a Packers discussion. This ought to go well.

Not sure why people care so much about what Cam said at the press conference.  When pro sports becomes a competition about which team has more "bad guys" on it, then we are all going to lose.  Every single team has guys who are obnoxious and guys who have lived less than stellar lives.   And really, if you want, you can find a reason do dislike them pretty easy.   Rodgers spent part of his post game conference complaining that he didn't get to recall the coin flip.  It was ridiculous. But who cares. A bunch of people probably would have done that.   There is one reason and one reason only that I don't like him:  he repeatedly beats the team I like.   Questioning player character is a wormhole.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2016, 12:12:26 PM »
Sigh...

As you've proven time and time and time and time again on the NFL thread, when it comes to football, you tend to veer into meathead territory where impartiality is a foreign concept so I'm going to let this go. That way other posters can get back to discussing the actual Super Bowl and not your angry, biased opinions of certain players.

Conveniently quit the "argument" when you're asked to clarify things that quite simply can't be clarified but put the blame on the other person in the argument.  Classic.

Good talk, then.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2016, 12:19:41 PM »
Conveniently quit the "argument" when you're asked to clarify things that quite simply can't be clarified but put the blame on the other person in the argument.  Classic.

Good talk, then.

You refuse to acknowledge the obvious and then claim victory when I don't feeling like rationally spelling things out to you, an irrational fan.

Classic.

Enjoy your Monday.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2016, 12:23:19 PM »
You refuse to acknowledge the obvious and then claim victory when I don't feeling like rationally spelling things out to you, an irrational fan.

Classic.

Enjoy your Monday.

You asked me questions.  I answered.  I asked you questions.  You refused to answer, because the answer won't fit your agenda.  Again, classic.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2016, 12:57:52 PM »

You have formed your opinion on Cam, and nothing he has done as a pro or will do for the next decade will convince you otherwise. That is your right.

It is also your right to define "punk" however is convenient for you to confirm your opinions.

From what I know of Newton, I maintain that he's a "better guy" than many NFL players who are revered. You can disagree. And we can leave it there because it's silly to argue when common ground is impossible to find.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2016, 01:03:40 PM »
Yes, because there's no more humble group of people than doctors.

I have worked with physicians in the field of clinical research and drug discovery and development. Some can be jerks but all of them are doing magnificent work aimed at improving patient care.

But that wasn't my point.

I don't understand the asinine behavior of some professional athletes which is justified by their celebrity status. I personally witnessed Richard Sherman explode in a Seattle restaurant. Frankly, I had no idea who he was but all he did was disrupt what was otherwise a very pleasant dinner among friends.

But to your comment - there are Scoopers who contribute to advancing our understanding of patient care through their work at the Mayo Clinic or in the field of neurological science. My take is that these are the real rock stars of society; there is nothing more noble. Your comment seems to trivialize their contributions and value to society.

Death on call

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2016, 01:29:40 PM »
But to your comment - there are Scoopers who contribute to advancing our understanding of patient care through their work at the Mayo Clinic or in the field of neurological science. My take is that these are the real rock stars of society; there is nothing more noble. Your comment seems to trivialize their contributions and value to society.

My post was in response to your comment "If anyone should feel a sense of entitlement it is those guys." That gives the impression that doctors rarely feel a sense of entitlement, which just isn't true. Obviously it's not true across the board but stating that a group of people stereotypical has arrogance is not in any way, shape or form trivializing their value to society.

I have 3 good friends who are all doctors. One of them is as humble as can be. The other two might as well wear stethoscopes around their necks at all times so that they don't have to find a way to fit their MD status into every conversation and try to work it in their favor (a point that we often tease them about). That said, I have a great amount of respect for what they do and am amazed at their accomplishments...but it doesn't mean that I won't call them out for their sense of entitlement when it seems fit.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2016, 02:42:52 PM »
That was rather odd. Obviously he was getting paid to shill that sh1t beer.

I hope Manning retires. Manning gets a lot of press for being a 'good guy' but he has been brazen about his extra-marital activities.

And Eli? That punk has been a dick his entire life but his entry to the NFL, warning the Chargers against drafting him, merely reinforced his ridiculous sense of entitlement..

Nope, not paid at all.  That's been Peyton's beer for a long time.  My wife gave him crap about it in 2001 at the QB Challenge in Kauai where you literally hang out with the families for 4 or 5 days at a remote resort.  No fans to worry about.   My wife always called Budweiser "buttwiper" and he laughed pretty good at it.

But that was him just being him.

As for Eli, again....I think if people got to know some of these folks they would speak differently of them. 

An old photo of one of the shoots we did years ago with the family...we did many of them.  Good family.  If anything, some are turned off by their polish or media savvy...I get it.  I'm just saying when you get to know them, when their guard is down, they are good dudes.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2016, 03:16:43 PM »
My perspective from the game

80% Broncos fans.  I knew two weeks ago it would be heavily favored Denver fans, but didn't think it would be that high.  As loud a Super Bowl for one team as I have ever been to.  Super Bowl 47 with the Pats and Giants was loud, but both teams represented well.

I did sit next to two Panthers fans...they were very classy.  Nice guys.  Interesting observation (I'm sure some will read into it more than it needs to, but it was interesting to me).  Both of these Panther fans were African American, both had Panther jerseys, neither wore a Newton jersey....guy next to me wore a Luke Kuechly jersey.  During the game, he had some choice words for Cam.  I finally asked him, are you a Cam fan or just like the defense.  He was not much of a Cam fan by his comments.   Again, I found it interesting.  The number of Manning jerseys was insane, probably 85%.  Some Miller, some Ware...a few Dallas Cowboys Ware jerseys also.

When Newton was shown pregame, a ton of boos.  Only person in the stadium that got more boos was Tom Brady who was really killed.

Halftime performance...eh....I like Coldplay, but when I heard last month they were the band it made me question why.

Blue Angels flyover was nice, national anthem done well and tastefully by Lady Gaga.

The game....offense be damned.   The seats we had about the 30 yard line and up a bit, so you could see everything very well.  Denver's team speed and their D-Line was really impressive.   Peyton did very little, he just didn't hurt them.  Newton looked off all day.  Rivera, stuck to the running game too long.  Why he challenged that second call none of us could understand that...dumb.   The catch or no catch.  The ref that was right next to it didn't rule as he clearly didn't know, the back judge ruled it incomplete.  They showed it on the two large screens, and most people in the stands around us felt like it would have been really tough to overturn the call on the field.  If it was called a catch on the field, it would have stuck. If called an incomplete, would have stuck. 

Overall, I was happy as I wanted Manning to win.  I don't dislike Cam, think he is a phenomenal athlete.  That being said, I also understand that people have no problem cheering against people they deem arrogant or rubbing it in.  Actually felt some of the Broncos acted that way during the game, but I guess they have the trophy so they get that opportunity.

Final comment was from the Carolina fans next to me.  They were getting really nervous early in the second quarter.  They knew.  He turned to me and said, "we don't have it today.  We can't stop their penetration and we look shell shocked."  I told him it's only the 2nd quarter and he said, "No, I'm telling you this is the worst I have seen this team all year. It's like we aren't even the same team".  He was right.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2016, 03:22:59 PM »
Game question .. anyone notice at the very end .. IIRC the clock stopped with 11 seconds on the clock because of a penalty .. don't recall the penalty, but there was a 10 second run-off .. which would have left 1 second for one more play. 

But .. on TV they just kept showing Manning .. then suddenly "ok, game's over."   

Did Carolina run a play at the end and TV missed it?  Or did the refs just call it?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2016, 03:36:10 PM »
My perspective from the game

80% Broncos fans.  I knew two weeks ago it would be heavily favored Denver fans, but didn't think it would be that high.  As loud a Super Bowl for one team as I have ever been to.  Super Bowl 47 with the Pats and Giants was loud, but both teams represented well.

I did sit next to two Panthers fans...they were very classy.  Nice guys.  Interesting observation (I'm sure some will read into it more than it needs to, but it was interesting to me).  Both of these Panther fans were African American, both had Panther jerseys, neither wore a Newton jersey....guy next to me wore a Luke Kuechly jersey.  During the game, he had some choice words for Cam.  I finally asked him, are you a Cam fan or just like the defense.  He was not much of a Cam fan by his comments.   Again, I found it interesting.  The number of Manning jerseys was insane, probably 85%.  Some Miller, some Ware...a few Dallas Cowboys Ware jerseys also.

When Newton was shown pregame, a ton of boos.  Only person in the stadium that got more boos was Tom Brady who was really killed.

Halftime performance...eh....I like Coldplay, but when I heard last month they were the band it made me question why.

Blue Angels flyover was nice, national anthem done well and tastefully by Lady Gaga.

The game....offense be damned.   The seats we had about the 30 yard line and up a bit, so you could see everything very well.  Denver's team speed and their D-Line was really impressive.   Peyton did very little, he just didn't hurt them.  Newton looked off all day.  Rivera, stuck to the running game too long.  Why he challenged that second call none of us could understand that...dumb.   The catch or no catch.  The ref that was right next to it didn't rule as he clearly didn't know, the back judge ruled it incomplete.  They showed it on the two large screens, and most people in the stands around us felt like it would have been really tough to overturn the call on the field.  If it was called a catch on the field, it would have stuck. If called an incomplete, would have stuck. 

Overall, I was happy as I wanted Manning to win.  I don't dislike Cam, think he is a phenomenal athlete.  That being said, I also understand that people have no problem cheering against people they deem arrogant or rubbing it in.  Actually felt some of the Broncos acted that way during the game, but I guess they have the trophy so they get that opportunity.

Final comment was from the Carolina fans next to me.  They were getting really nervous early in the second quarter.  They knew.  He turned to me and said, "we don't have it today.  We can't stop their penetration and we look shell shocked."  I told him it's only the 2nd quarter and he said, "No, I'm telling you this is the worst I have seen this team all year. It's like we aren't even the same team".  He was right.

very nicely done-i could imagine the mannings being pretty cool-loved his united way skit and the little kids football-they say he was really uncomfortable about hitting the kids with the ball even though it was a nerf football

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25246417/archie-manning-peyton-refused-to-hit-kids-with-football-for-snl-sketch
don't...don't don't don't don't

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2016, 03:50:53 PM »
Game question .. anyone notice at the very end .. IIRC the clock stopped with 11 seconds on the clock because of a penalty .. don't recall the penalty, but there was a 10 second run-off .. which would have left 1 second for one more play. 

Did Carolina run a play at the end and TV missed it?  Or did the refs just call it?

The result of the play should have kept the clock running, but it stopped for the penalty. It was cut off by Nance carrying on about Manning but the ref said 10 second run off and the clock will restart on ready for play meaning there was one second and Carolina couldn't snap it in that time so it just ran off to end the game.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2016, 03:51:41 PM »

We were saying the same thing in the stadium.  They basically just said...that's it. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks