collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: O'Donnell Closing  (Read 9303 times)

Litehouse

• All American
Re: O'Donnell Closing
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2016, 11:01:50 AM »
West went until at least '93, they kept it open until the renovations at Schroeder were finished.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2016, 11:41:08 AM »
the renovations at Schroeder were finished.

Is this when they painted over the album artwork on 10?

On a par with Nazi book burnings, frankly

Death on call

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2016, 12:06:19 PM »
You could say that.    FWIW, MU leased floors in a fleabag motel around 23rd and Wisconsin during the autumn of 1987.    IIRC, Dahmer made one of his first kills on the upper floors while MU was leasing 3 of the lower floors.

O'Donnell was where the Freshman chicks lived my Freshman year at McCormick.

I remember the temporary dorm up on 26th Street & Wisconsin Ave.  It had the name of West Hall.   I knew a guy who had to live there.  ("I am Everett from Vest."  Could not pronounce the W.) 
I think it was a former Holiday Inn and there was a VFW on the first floor of the building where students found a way to go and drink on occasion.   
Marquette eventually sold to some group who planned to open like a Mediation School.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2016, 03:39:09 PM »
In the early 80's, what is now Straz was the YMCA, and MU had a few floors. Everybody said it was a major dump.

It was, in the same way most every MU dorm room is/was a dump (except maybe the West in the mid 80s). 

But it's our dump so you better not say anything bad about it.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2016, 03:40:57 PM »
O'Donnell was where the Freshman chicks lived my Freshman year at McCormick.

I remember the temporary dorm up on 26th Street & Wisconsin Ave.  It had the name of West Hall.   I knew a guy who had to live there.  ("I am Everett from Vest."  Could not pronounce the W.) 
I think it was a former Holiday Inn and there was a VFW on the first floor of the building where students found a way to go and drink on occasion.   
Marquette eventually sold to some group who planned to open like a Mediation School.

Yep- best thing about the West were the quads (huge rooms for 4).  Made the trek down WI ave many a night for great parties "at the quad."

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2016, 06:01:49 PM »
It was, in the same way most every MU dorm room is/was a dump (except maybe the West in the mid 80s). 

But it's our dump so you better not say anything bad about it.

McCormick Hall on a Sunday morning was like a Roman vomitorium.

What always killed me was the weak-bellied punks who would puke in the drinking fountains (bubblers for the WI types.) And taking the stairs there was always running a maze of trash, empties, and hurl.

I understood that some guys were just sprouting their drinking wings but why they had to share the previous night's stew of SAGA mystery meat, PBR, and Real Chili with everyone was a mystery to me. For Christ's sake the sh1tters were just 10 feet away from where the spewed their guts out in the hallway.

Death on call

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2016, 07:45:57 PM »
West went until at least '93, they kept it open until the renovations at Schroeder were finished.

Yep.. I think '92-93 was the last year of West.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2016, 09:58:39 PM »
McCormick Hall on a Sunday morning was like a Roman vomitorium.

What always killed me was the weak-bellied punks who would puke in the drinking fountains (bubblers for the WI types.) And taking the stairs there was always running a maze of trash, empties, and hurl.

I understood that some guys were just sprouting their drinking wings but why they had to share the previous night's stew of SAGA mystery meat, PBR, and Real Chili with everyone was a mystery to me. For Christ's sake the sh1tters were just 10 feet away from where the spewed their guts out in the hallway.
From what I remember in late 80's in McCormick the sh1tters on my floor were usually out of commission by about noon on Saturday, so Saturday night's side effects usually ended up just about anywhere else.  Had to go to Helfaer, across the street to Engineering, or up to a "study floor" to find a functioning toilet.  As for O'Donnell, I always thought it was about 10x nicer than McCormick. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2016, 10:37:50 PM »
From what I remember in late 80's in McCormick the sh1tters on my floor were usually out of commission by about noon on Saturday, so Saturday night's side effects usually ended up just about anywhere else.  Had to go to Helfaer, across the street to Engineering, or up to a "study floor" to find a functioning toilet.  As for O'Donnell, I always thought it was about 10x nicer than McCormick.

I don't know about better, but I also don't think anyone claims McCormick to be a 5 star hotel either. The only reason they have to keep it around is because it holds over a third of the freshman class.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2016, 11:10:00 PM »
OD is only going to be closed for one year. They're not tearing it down, they're keeping it livable even though nobody will be living there.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2016, 12:50:41 AM »
OD is only going to be closed for one year. They're not tearing it down, they're keeping it livable even though nobody will be living there.

Are they replacing the mattresses? There must be three generations of student DNA teeming in those things...

Death on call

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2016, 01:09:39 AM »
Are they replacing the mattresses? There must be three generations of student DNA teeming in those things...

They changed all the furniture in all the dorms for my freshman year in fall of 2011. That included putting drywall over all the closets in McCormick an just using wardrobes instead.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2016, 02:47:43 AM »

I remember we used to scrounge all of the toilet rolls from the McCormick sh1tters on our way to the Arena. (The smarter among us had a spare roll for morning after a game needs.)

The decline of Marquette basketball in the '80's was highly correlated with Marquette banning toilet roll tossing at games. I think that it was Houston who posted that he heaved one roll past midcourt. Impressive.

Death on call

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2016, 09:37:31 AM »
Is West Hall the same building as Mashuda is today?
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2016, 09:46:18 AM »
Is West Hall the same building as Mashuda is today?

No.  West was another five blocks West on Wisconsin.  It was at the corner of 25th and Wisconsin on the Southwest corner of the intersection.  I lived in West my sophomore year and Mashuda my junior year.  Mashuda was pretty good too.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2016, 11:09:16 AM »
Wasn't West Hall between 26th & 27th?  The Bureau of Milwaukee Child Welfare was built on the site after the building was torn down.  The SW corner of 25th & WI is that concrete Methodist church that was always there, and the US Bank is next door.

I was in Mashuda 93-94 and thought it was great, an old Howard Johnson, huge rooms with private bathrooms in each room.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2016, 11:14:18 AM »
Wasn't West Hall between 26th & 27th?  I was in Mashuda 93-94 and thought it was great, an old Howard Johnson, huge rooms with private bathrooms in each room.

You are correct.  I took a quick look at the map, and picked the wrong block.

And I really liked Mashuda too.  The rooms that overlooked the Pabst Mansion were great with a bathroom and a walk-in closet.  I think they called them "parlor" rooms or something like that.  I vaguely remember that the closet had another sink/mirror in it, but I might be confusing it with something else.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2016, 12:43:16 PM »
I think they called them "parlor" rooms

That has a very specific meaning in some parts of the world...

Death on call

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2016, 04:34:46 PM »
And I really liked Mashuda too.  The rooms that overlooked the Pabst Mansion were great with a bathroom and a walk-in closet.  I think they called them "parlor" rooms or something like that.  I vaguely remember that the closet had another sink/mirror in it, but I might be confusing it with something else.
Yep, that whole wing that ran north/south were "parlor" rooms on both sides.  A little bigger than normal with the extra sink set-up in the closet.  The east/west wing had slightly smaller rooms without the extra sink.  I always heard stories of people sneaking into the old pool area that was locked off, but never made it there myself.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2016, 04:40:44 PM »
Yep, that whole wing that ran north/south were "parlor" rooms on both sides.  A little bigger than normal with the extra sink set-up in the closet.  The east/west wing had slightly smaller rooms without the extra sink.  I always heard stories of people sneaking into the old pool area that was locked off, but never made it there myself.

Mashuda or Carpenter are the two sophomore dorms that get filled up last now a days.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2016, 07:00:11 PM »
Wasn't Mashuda a Holiday Inn?  They converted it when I was there if I recall correctly.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2016, 07:10:44 PM »
Mashuda or Carpenter are the two sophomore dorms that get filled up last now a days.

Back in the day a self-respecting sophomore demanded lodging at the Schroeder. That first taste of coed living, however tame, was the prize. Anyone who had to do the walk of shame at 2359 at McCormick knows of what I speak...

Death on call

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2016, 07:27:29 PM »
Wasn't Mashuda a Holiday Inn?  They converted it when I was there if I recall correctly.

yes.  what was the holiday inn/dorm on 26th or 27th street called?  that was like living in the boondocks, but one of the nicer dorms at the time-that was all it had going for itself...and it was coed.  chit, it better have been coed, campus was a long way to go to get some heyna, eh'na?
don't...don't don't don't don't

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2016, 07:30:32 PM »
Anybody remember The Ambassador Hotel? I remember that as a freshman when my dad brought me out in the Fall of 1986 he stayed there for one or two night. Pretty sure he's still mortified at what he saw...and he came of age in the 60s. Someone told me that it's actually a respectable place now. That may be true but I prefer to remember for what it was back then.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2016, 07:31:32 PM »
My bad. Just read the whole thread re: The Ambassador.