'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Grad. Transfer PF Options  (Read 87276 times)

brandx

Re: Grad. Transfer PF Options
« Reply #100 on: April 04, 2016, 05:59:25 PM »
Love Peters, but as Dr. B said in another post, we need a rebounder.  Peters plays like Hank, but shoots way better from the outside.  I think perimeter scoring is something we won't be lacking in next year.

And even if he does transfer, he's probably going to Vandy.  And if he didn't go to Vandy, why would he come to Marquette?  He can choose practically any team in the country.  He could easily go to the school 75 miles west of Marquette, fit right into Vito Brown's role and make them a Final Four contender.

He'd have to beat our Vito for the spot - and Vito knows the offense well plus is a good 3 point shooter.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #101 on: April 04, 2016, 07:06:22 PM »
....Well...yeah. That's true of any prediction. If Lebron James decided to play for Marquette next season we would have "potential to win a lot" but not be close to a given. If I must rephrase, "If we added Reinhardt, this team would have a reasonable shot of being able to shoot the three better than any Marquette team in history.

I'll give you the he can' rebound. But he shot 51% on 2FG as a jumpshooting wing. That's about as good as you can hope for.

Uhh you used Lebron James as an analogy for a bunch of 35-39% 3 pt shooters giving us our best shooting team?

Yeah, sorry but what I said stands.

And Reinhardt is a career sub 40% overall FG% guy.

So yeah
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #102 on: April 04, 2016, 07:21:16 PM »
Uhh you used Lebron James as an analogy for a bunch of 35-39% 3 pt shooters giving us our best shooting team?

Yeah, sorry but what I said stands.

So yeah

Right, but he improved drastically this season. Are we discounting JJJ for next year and assuming he'll regress to his previous two years?

I don't think it's fair to use his career averages after he made significant improvement.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #103 on: April 04, 2016, 07:22:55 PM »
I expect JJJ, Cheatham and likely Howard to be at 42% or higher from 3.  Katin Reinhardt has the capacity to be in the low 40's.  A healthy Duane that gets his shot back to normal would shoot low 40's.

The bottom line is we may not have a absolute lights out shooter (like Acker, DJO), but we may have a team of Cooby's.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #104 on: April 04, 2016, 07:28:14 PM »

So yeah

...what does what he did two and four years ago have to do with what he will do next season?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #105 on: April 04, 2016, 07:42:51 PM »
To summarize, best Grad Transfer PF options at the moment:

Rodney Pryor- 6"5 205 lb wing from Robert Morris. Averaged 8.0 rpg this season.

Couple thoughts on Pryor. Saw him play a lot when he was a senior at Notre Dame in 2011. (don't know how he's still eligible to be honest) He played mostly the 2 in high school, don't really know if we be using him in the proper position. I think JJJ is better than Pryor and he's nowhere near big enough to play the 4 unless they go 4 out, even then though, still a ridiculously small lineup.

My 2 cents.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #106 on: April 04, 2016, 09:08:01 PM »
Couple thoughts on Pryor. Saw him play a lot when he was a senior at Notre Dame in 2011. (don't know how he's still eligible to be honest) He played mostly the 2 in high school, don't really know if we be using him in the proper position. I think JJJ is better than Pryor and he's nowhere near big enough to play the 4 unless they go 4 out, even then though, still a ridiculously small lineup.

My 2 cents.

Appreciate the thoughts.

He had two season ending injuries in JUCO so he's on the the Otule plan. I think he has grown significantly. I haven't seen him in person, just watched a few videos and the NCAA tournament game against Duke. He appears to be bigger than Sandy but I could be wrong. Either way, 18.0 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 1.4 spg, and 0.9 spg is nothing to shake a stick at. Could he do it in the Big East? Doubtful, but I think he would contribute. Not sure he's what we want though.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 09:23:19 PM by Howard's Eagle »
TAMU

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #107 on: April 05, 2016, 12:45:08 AM »
...what does what he did two and four years ago have to do with what he will do next season?

Nothing, nothing matters.

Thats what you don't get. You used LeBron James as proven superstar as an analogy for calling a bunch of unproven shooters the best shooting team weve seen at MU.

We haven't even watch Rowsey, Reinhardt(if he came) or Howard shoot a single basketball in a MU uniform in our offense. And one of them has never played college ball.

Good lord I didn't think ud argue with a simple observation so mightily.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #108 on: April 05, 2016, 12:46:22 AM »
Right, but he improved drastically this season. Are we discounting JJJ for next year and assuming he'll regress to his previous two years?

I don't think it's fair to use his career averages after he made significant improvement.

Assuming he will regress? No. But you also can't assume 39% is automatically the norm after 1 season.

It was a simple devils advocate point I made.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #109 on: April 05, 2016, 02:00:03 AM »
Appreciate the thoughts.

He had two season ending injuries in JUCO so he's on the the Otule plan. I think he has grown significantly. I haven't seen him in person, just watched a few videos and the NCAA tournament game against Duke. He appears to be bigger than Sandy but I could be wrong. Either way, 18.0 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 1.4 spg, and 0.9 spg is nothing to shake a stick at. Could he do it in the Big East? Doubtful, but I think he would contribute. Not sure he's what we want though.

He was always a pretty well built kid, even in high school. He played with Chevious who started at Tennessee and just finished up at Hampton. Chevious always gor more fan fare, but always thought Pryor was a better player. Still I agree he's not what Marquette is looking for. He's kind of a carbon copy of JJJ. Maybe a smidge stronger.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #110 on: April 05, 2016, 08:44:30 AM »
Nothing, nothing matters.

Thats what you don't get. You used LeBron James as proven superstar as an analogy for calling a bunch of unproven shooters the best shooting team weve seen at MU.

We haven't even watch Rowsey, Reinhardt(if he came) or Howard shoot a single basketball in a MU uniform in our offense. And one of them has never played college ball.

Good lord I didn't think ud argue with a simple observation so mightily.

....I'm guessing the point went past you. I made a prediction. You said the prediction isn't a given. I said, well, yeah, its a prediction, no prediction is a given and used Lebron as an example for how even a sure fire prediction isn't a given. I wasn't comparing Lebron to our players. I didn't take issue with you disagreeing. I just thought it was silly to phrase it as "its not a given"
TAMU

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #111 on: April 05, 2016, 12:31:37 PM »
....I'm guessing the point went past you. I made a prediction. You said the prediction isn't a given. I said, well, yeah, its a prediction, no prediction is a given and used Lebron as an example for how even a sure fire prediction isn't a given. I wasn't comparing Lebron to our players. I didn't take issue with you disagreeing. I just thought it was silly to phrase it as "its not a given"

Yeah but like I said the only reason I phrased it that way is because our guys are more potential to be great not a proven collection.

If we were returning a team that shot 40% from 3 as a squad that's when it's less devils advocate.

I love that we will finally have shooting options. I was just pointing out that while there are about 8 guys who appear capable of regularly hitting 3s. Rowsey at low mid major is the closet to proven in that regard.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #112 on: April 05, 2016, 12:39:50 PM »
Yeah but like I said the only reason I phrased it that way is because our guys are more potential to be great not a proven collection.

If we were returning a team that shot 40% from 3 as a squad that's when it's less devils advocate.

I love that we will finally have shooting options. I was just pointing out that while there are about 8 guys who appear capable of regularly hitting 3s. Rowsey at low mid major is the closet to proven in that regard.

Fair enough. I didn't consider that perspective.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #113 on: April 05, 2016, 01:27:13 PM »
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #114 on: April 06, 2016, 10:19:23 AM »
Here's an interesting name. Christian Jones from St. John's. You might remember him as the guy who hung 29 points and 7 rebounds on us in the BET. He's 6"7 220. Good rebounder. No shot, does all his work in the post. Not sure of this, but I think graduate transfers can actually transfer within conference. Not convinced he would be great but might fill a role.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #115 on: April 06, 2016, 10:22:42 AM »
Another name to add to the list, LG Gill. 6"7 210 lb Forward from Duquesne. Averaged 10 and 6.5 for the Dukes.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66386/lg-gill
TAMU

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #116 on: April 06, 2016, 10:24:43 AM »
Here's an interesting name. Christian Jones from St. John's. You might remember him as the guy who hung 29 points and 7 rebounds on us in the BET. He's 6"7 220. Good rebounder. No shot, does all his work in the post. Not sure of this, but I think graduate transfers can actually transfer within conference. Not convinced he would be great but might fill a role.

Pretty sure he cannot transfer to BE team. If that's the case, its news to me.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #117 on: April 06, 2016, 10:28:46 AM »

Not sure if basketball or just the Big East has different rules, but I know Iowa's QB grad transferred to Michigan to play his last season there. Thats the only case I know of a grad transfer staying in the same conference.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #118 on: April 06, 2016, 10:38:15 AM »

Grad transfers have different rules than regular transfers. It depends on the conference. Adam Smith transferred from Virginia Tech to Georgia Tech without issue last season. Max Biefeldt transferred from Michigan to Indiana and he just needed to get the B1G's permission. I honestly don't know what the Big East's rules are. If anyone knows, I'd love to hear it.
TAMU

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #119 on: April 06, 2016, 11:29:51 AM »
Grad transfers have different rules than regular transfers. It depends on the conference. Adam Smith transferred from Virginia Tech to Georgia Tech without issue last season. Max Biefeldt transferred from Michigan to Indiana and he just needed to get the B1G's permission. I honestly don't know what the Big East's rules are. If anyone knows, I'd love to hear it.

I was unable to find a Big East transfer document that didn't pre-date 2006 so there is not a lot of information out there about graduate transfers. Would love to see if anyone could find the current rules about that as it'd be very interesting to read.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #120 on: April 06, 2016, 11:36:01 AM »
I was unable to find a Big East transfer document that didn't pre-date 2006 so there is not a lot of information out there about graduate transfers. Would love to see if anyone could find the current rules about that as it'd be very interesting to read.

Same here.  The policy I found was dated 10/31/2005, and stated that hoops or football players couldn't transfer between BE schools, with "no exceptions."  If the policy hasn't been revised since then, it would seem to be a no-go.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #121 on: April 06, 2016, 01:00:23 PM »
I thought it was more strict than that.  That no player who has even signed an NLI with a BE school can play at another one.  That is at least the old BE rule.  Not sure if that's the rule currently in place.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #122 on: April 06, 2016, 01:03:47 PM »
A bit off topic, but it has been a week since BigDaddy posted saying that he was hopefully going to change his name soon given one of our targets. It too early to start:

NAME WATCH 2K16

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #123 on: April 06, 2016, 01:27:17 PM »
Also, per Donna Ditota, the Cuse basketball writer for The Post-Standard, 6-9 PF/C Chino Obokoh is transferring from Cuse. Eligible immediately.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #124 on: April 06, 2016, 01:30:11 PM »
A ton of players are hitting the market. Have to think MU can land one big body from the group.

feedback