'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Grad. Transfer PF Options  (Read 87284 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: Grad. Transfer PF Options
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2016, 11:50:16 PM »
Let's hope the coaching carousel will yield better pleasant surprises.
SS Marquette

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2016, 12:01:22 AM »
SG Jimmy Whitt transferring from Arkansas. Wojo recruited last year.

IIRC, it was down to us, Arkansas, and
Misery...I mean Mizzou
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2016, 07:27:09 AM »
Da part 'bout punchin' a cop shows grit that the current roster is lackin', hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2016, 07:41:57 AM »
Looks like slim pickings to me.

MU doesn't need a grad transfer PF to come in to be a star.  Just to fill a role. 

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2016, 12:36:43 PM »
Ray Kasongo will transfer. Has 2 years of eligibility left. I don't believe he is immediately eligible.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2016, 11:19:56 AM »
Javon Bess and Marvin Clark from Michigan State are available as regular transfers.
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2016/03/28/michigan-state-basketball-marvin-clark/82359356/

If they get healthy they could be  solid contributors for us.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2016, 11:49:29 AM »
Per Gary Parrish

Worth noting that Valpo's Alec Peters can graduate this summer and transfer. Relevant now that Bryce Drew is gone to Vandy.

This would be the MF'in golden goose if he does indeed decide to transfer. Could also see him testing the NBA waters as well.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2016, 11:55:39 AM »
Per Gary Parrish

Worth noting that Valpo's Alec Peters can graduate this summer and transfer. Relevant now that Bryce Drew is gone to Vandy.

This would be the MF'in golden goose if he does indeed decide to transfer. Could also see him testing the NBA waters as well.

And just like that Alec Peters would vault to the top of the Grad Transfer market. Parrish also mentioned he could follow Drew to Vandy

DUNKS45

• All American
  • never too old
« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2016, 12:06:06 PM »
Peters would be a huge pick up, who knows what he'll decide, but he would be worth pursuing

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2016, 12:18:18 PM »
Per Gary Parrish

Ummm, yes please, where do we sign. 

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2016, 12:46:23 PM »
Per Gary Parrish

I can confirm that flying into Bloomington-Normal is a lot easier this time of year than Augusta. Go get him Wojo!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2016, 02:15:04 PM »
To summarize, best Grad Transfer PF options at the moment:

Rodney Pryor- 6"5 205 lb wing from Robert Morris. Averaged 8.0 rpg this season.

Anthony Livingston- 6"8 230 lb forward from Arkansas State. Has some legal baggage.

Savon Goodman- 6"6 210 lb forward from Arizona State. Has a lot of legal baggage.

Patrick Steeves- 6"7 220 lb forward from Harvard. More of a stretch four than a post. 2 years of eligibility.

Darion Clark- 6"7 220 lb forward from USC. Was a bench player but great rebounder.

Kale Abrahamson- 6"8 221 lb forward from Drake. More of a stretch four than a post.

Malcolm Benard 6"5 205 lb wing from Florida A&M. Averaged 7.4 rpg this season.

Derail Green- 6"7 215 lb forward from Incarnate Word. More of a stretch four than a post. 2 years of eligibility.

LaRon Smith- 6"8 190 lb forward from Bethune-Cookman. Slight but averaged 7 rpg this season.

Chad Rykhoek- 6"11 230 lb center from Baylor. Has never played a minute of college ball due to multiple injuries. Was a top 150 player in the class of 2012. Two years of eligibility left.

JJ N'Ganga- 6"10 240 lb center from New Mexico. Back of the rotation for New Mexico. Starting to get desperate here.

Najeal Young- 6"5 215 lb forward from UIC. Milwaukee native. Averaged 6.5 rpg this season.

In short, most of the options are either too short, too small, too squirmy, or too bad at basketball. I love Livingston or Goodman if Marquette is willing to look past their various transgressions. If not, I think Darion Clark could very good for us. He's not a complete player but he's a maniac on the boards. Could fill a role quite nicely.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 02:21:24 PM by Howard's Eagle »
TAMU

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2016, 02:17:36 PM »
Thanks for the list, Eagle. 

In other news, Alec Peters would make me giddy.  We'd be legit next year.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 04, 2016, 02:53:45 PM »
In short, most of the options are either too short, too small, too squirmy, or too bad at basketball. I love Livingston or Goodman if Marquette is willing to look past their various transgressions. If not, I think Darion Clark could very good for us. He's not a complete player but he's a maniac on the boards. Could fill a role quite nicely.

Livingston can play but he was arrested for punching a police officer less than a year ago. I'm much more willing to give guys a second chance if they made a "youthful mistake" as teen and have learned from it. March of 2015 is a little too soon for my liking.

Clark or Najeal Young could be an interesting fit as a hustle/energy guy who can board.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 04, 2016, 03:02:05 PM »
Per Evan Daniels

Katin Reinhardt receiving strong interest from Alabama, Marquette, UTEP, and VCU.

He's 6-6 and not a rebounder. Not sure if the staff is mailing it in on the PF front or if they know they have more than 1 scholarship to work with. I could get behind this if we have another one opening up, but if not, it has me scratching my head.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 04, 2016, 03:04:04 PM »
Love Peters, but as Dr. B said in another post, we need a rebounder.  Peters plays like Hank, but shoots way better from the outside.  I think perimeter scoring is something we won't be lacking in next year.

And even if he does transfer, he's probably going to Vandy.  And if he didn't go to Vandy, why would he come to Marquette?  He can choose practically any team in the country.  He could easily go to the school 75 miles west of Marquette, fit right into Vito Brown's role and make them a Final Four contender.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 04, 2016, 03:12:44 PM »
Love Peters, but as Dr. B said in another post, we need a rebounder. Peters plays like Hank, but shoots way better from the outside.  I think perimeter scoring is something we won't be lacking in next year.

And even if he does transfer, he's probably going to Vandy.  And if he didn't go to Vandy, why would he come to Marquette?  He can choose practically any team in the country.  He could easily go to the school 75 miles west of Marquette, fit right into Vito Brown's role and make them a Final Four contender.

Hank led conference in rebounding

He would play every minute that he is physically capable of (see Hank).

UW would probably want to redshirt him

I agree that we wouldn't be the front runner but grad transfers are generally looking for one thing above all else, which is PT. We got lots.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #92 on: April 04, 2016, 03:13:12 PM »
Love Peters, but as Dr. B said in another post, we need a rebounder.  Peters plays like Hank, but shoots way better from the outside.  I think perimeter scoring is something we won't be lacking in next year.

So true. Markus Howard should probably reconsider too. Same with Haanif and the rest of the roster.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #93 on: April 04, 2016, 04:57:03 PM »
Livingston can play but he was arrested for punching a police officer less than a year ago. I'm much more willing to give guys a second chance if they made a "youthful mistake" as teen and have learned from it. March of 2015 is a little too soon for my liking.

The incident occurred while Livingston was being checked into a behavioral health facility. I'm not sure whether that makes it any more or less likely that MU should recruit him, but it appears that this was more of a guy experiencing a mental health problem than a dangerous criminal. His record is otherwise clean, according to his coach at ASU.
Regardless, people down there think he's headed to St. John's.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #94 on: April 04, 2016, 05:04:15 PM »
Per Evan Daniels

Katin Reinhardt receiving strong interest from Alabama, Marquette, UTEP, and VCU.

He's 6-6 and not a rebounder. Not sure if the staff is mailing it in on the PF front or if they know they have more than 1 scholarship to work with. I could get behind this if we have another one opening up, but if not, it has me scratching my head.

Those are three schools I don't mind recruiting against. At 6"6 215, Reinhardt has enough size to be a rebounding wing. Not a great one but a serviceable one. I'd be curious to see how Wojo would use him.

If we added Reinhardt, this team would shoot the three better than any Marquette team in history.
TAMU

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 04, 2016, 05:08:35 PM »
Those are three schools I don't mind recruiting against. At 6"6 215, Reinhardt has enough size to be a rebounding wing. Not a great one but a serviceable one. I'd be curious to see how Wojo would use him.

If we added Reinhardt, this team would shoot the three better than any Marquette team in history.

Still a lot of variables there though I'd think.

Duane is streaky. JJJ found his this year but it's not a huge sample. Same with Haanif. Howard and Rowsey appear to be good shooters.

But it still seems like it's more of a "potential to shoot well" roster not a close to a given.

Also not really big on Katin. He can't rebound and is not efficient inside the arc.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #96 on: April 04, 2016, 05:09:13 PM »
IIRC, it was down to us, Arkansas, and
Misery...I mean Mizzou

Colorado, Oklahoma, Kansas, NC State, Wisconsin have all reached out to Whitt per CBS

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #97 on: April 04, 2016, 05:27:07 PM »
Still a lot of variables there though I'd think.

Duane is streaky. JJJ found his this year but it's not a huge sample. Same with Haanif. Howard and Rowsey appear to be good shooters.

But it still seems like it's more of a "potential to shoot well" roster not a close to a given.

Also not really big on Katin. He can't rebound and is not efficient inside the arc.

Agreed. Next year's team is probably not going to top 2010 (41.3%) or 2004 (40.6%).

For context, players from those seasons with 100+ 3PA
Lazar: 35%
DJO: 47%
Acker: 50%
Cooby: 41%
Diener: 45%
Novak: 43%

And our current roster's 2016 numbers:
Duane: 35%
JJ: 39%
Haanif: 39%
TC: 31%
Sandy: 35%

Rowsey is at 39% for his career, but with a ton of volume, so hopefully that could go up with fewer, but higher quality attempts. Hauser and Howard are new to college ball, so we'll see what happens with those two.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #98 on: April 04, 2016, 05:29:47 PM »

....Well...yeah. That's true of any prediction. If Lebron James decided to play for Marquette next season we would have "potential to win a lot" but not be close to a given. If I must rephrase, "If we added Reinhardt, this team would have a reasonable shot of being able to shoot the three better than any Marquette team in history.

I'll give you the he can' rebound. But he shot 51% on 2FG as a jumpshooting wing. That's about as good as you can hope for.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #99 on: April 04, 2016, 05:32:00 PM »
Agreed. Next year's team is probably not going to top 2010 (41.3%) or 2004 (40.6%).

For context, players from those seasons with 100+ 3PA
Lazar: 35%
DJO: 47%
Acker: 50%
Cooby: 41%

Damn, I forgot how good of shooters that 2010 team was. I amend my previous statement to say second best team. 2004 was great but was heavily weighted by two guys. I'm looking more at a perspective of every player on the court being able to hit the three.
TAMU

feedback