Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: SOTG  (Read 8610 times)

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
Re: SOTG
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2016, 10:25:44 PM »
Watched some of the LSU vs. O game and Henry works a hell of a lot harder than Simmons. He seems to be always working while Simmons does a lot of standing around.

warriorstrack

• All American
  • Keep the wallet in the pocket
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2016, 10:39:34 PM »
HE the man

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2016, 09:57:08 AM »
Who was the poster that thought Hank would be here for 4 years?

That would be me. I have consistently said it is not evaluation of his talent or lack of draft-ability that would keep him here.  Rather, I think he may enjoy the college experience. He is here with brother and friends, playing in great environments in meaningful games. Marquette is a desirable school that kids enjoy.  Lots of other good players have stayed 4 years and have not been hurt from it.

Ty Hansbrough , who had an incredible college career,stayed 4 years at UNC . I am sure he is glad he stayed and had all the great experiences that led to winning a national championship. He has been a journey man pro. Making money, yes, but nowhere near as fun.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2016, 10:04:20 AM »
That would be me. I have consistently said it is not evaluation of his talent or lack of draft-ability that would keep him here.  Rather, I think he may enjoy the college experience. He is here with brother and friends, playing in great environments in meaningful games. Marquette is a desirable school that kids enjoy.  Lots of other good players have stayed 4 years and have not been hurt from it.

Ty Hansbrough , who had an incredible college career,stayed 4 years at UNC . I am sure he is glad he stayed and had all the great experiences that led to winning a national championship. He has been a journey man pro. Making money, yes, but nowhere near as fun.

And you know that he isn't having as much fun how?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2016, 10:10:48 AM »

And you know that he isn't having as much fun how?

Several articles written to that effect.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2016, 11:22:29 AM »
1st of all he'll be higher than 10 this year and he wouldn't be 1 if he hung around. But we'll go with your "+15M" on his first contract alone.

I went with Hank at 7 in 16 (where Ford has him) compared to 1 the next year (again, where he wouldn't be). If Hank stayed and went 1 overall it'd be:

16-17 season: -$3M
17-18 season: +$2M (net -$1M through 2 years)
18-19 season: +3.5M (net +2.5M)

So now in order to come out positive Hank's 2nd contract would have to be over $10M/year (getting just under $8M in his final year of his rookie contract plus the +2.5 he'd net over the next 3 years). That's not all that hard to imagine from a top 10 draft pick, especially with the salary cap going way up but the rookie scale saying roughly the same, from what I understand. And again this assumes Hank goes 1 overall if he stays an extra year (which I don't think there is a chance of).

The best bet for Hank to make the most money in his career is to get his first contract started ASAP.
You have to get the early money, just in case a the presidential candiate that thinks a 90% tax rate is a good idea gets elected.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2016, 11:30:35 AM »
1st of all he'll be higher than 10 this year and he wouldn't be 1 if he hung around. But we'll go with your "+15M" on his first contract alone.

I went with Hank at 7 in 16 (where Ford has him) compared to 1 the next year (again, where he wouldn't be). If Hank stayed and went 1 overall it'd be:

16-17 season: -$3M
17-18 season: +$2M (net -$1M through 2 years)
18-19 season: +3.5M (net +2.5M)

So now in order to come out positive Hank's 2nd contract would have to be over $10M/year (getting just under $8M in his final year of his rookie contract plus the +2.5 he'd net over the next 3 years). That's not all that hard to imagine from a top 10 draft pick, especially with the salary cap going way up but the rookie scale saying roughly the same, from what I understand. And again this assumes Hank goes 1 overall if he stays an extra year (which I don't think there is a chance of).

The best bet for Hank to make the most money in his career is to get his first contract started ASAP.

The guy might be getting some righteous tail as the BMOC. Where better for a man to graze at the smorgasbord of sexual variety than as a broke teenager at a small Catholic college in the Great White North Rustbelt?

Death on call

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2016, 01:19:40 PM »
The guy might be getting some righteous tail as the BMOC. Where better for a man to graze at the smorgasbord of sexual variety than as a broke teenager at a small Catholic college in the Great White North Rustbelt?

road games baby, road games!
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2016, 01:28:32 PM »

"That would be me. I have consistently said it is not evaluation of his talent or lack of draft-ability that would keep him here.  Rather, I think he may enjoy the college experience. He is here with brother and friends, playing in great environments in meaningful games. Marquette is a desirable school that kids enjoy.  Lots of other good players have stayed 4 years and have not been hurt from it. "

i'm with ya on this NY fan.  i'm might have even posted something similar or was thinking the same.  one can always dream though.  selfish us?come on henry, show us some of that jesuit love and stay one more

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2016, 05:40:08 PM »
Most players in Henry's situation would declare for the NBA draft. Kevin Durant and Derrick Rose were obviously ready for the pros. But that's not all players. And money isn't the only deciding factor.

Kris Dunn decided to stay after a freshman year when he was projected to go in the top 15. Dekker and Kaminsky could have both declared a year earlier than they did. Going back further, Tim Duncan graduated from Wake Forest as a 3-time All American.

I'm much more concerned about how the team is playing right now and our chances of making the NCAAs than I am about what Henry may or may not decide after the season.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2016, 01:03:26 AM »
Just checking the board now...and fully expected the quickest SOTG call ever....clear cut...no brainer....done deal

HENRY
Wrong. I give it to the freshman PG Traci Carter...5 treys were big time.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2016, 08:27:27 AM »
You have to get the early money, just in case a the presidential candiate that thinks a 90% tax rate is a good idea gets elected.

Or maybe in case a chicken-hawk warmonger decides to start WW3.

I haven't been wading in the sewer that is the politics board to get away from this crapola.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2016, 08:34:52 AM »
Wrong. I give it to the freshman PG Traci Carter...5 treys were big time.

Over the guy who went 32/10????

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2016, 09:24:22 AM »
Or maybe in case a chicken-hawk warmonger decides to start WW3.

I haven't been wading in the sewer that is the politics board to get away from this crapola.

Whoa, 82. Crapola? Just as I've chuckled at some of your slightly left leaning political humor I found Bilsu's joke on topic and funny. Lighten up.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2016, 09:40:07 AM »
Whoa, 82. Crapola? Just as I've chuckled at some of your slightly left leaning political humor I found Bilsu's joke on topic and funny. Lighten up.

What? World War III isn't funny? Who knew?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2016, 10:57:08 AM »
What? World War III isn't funny? Who knew?

Any board that can find a way to make Hiroshima a punch line can do the same for WW 3.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2016, 05:13:42 PM »
didn't want tyo start a whole new topic-henry wins big east coach bias player of the week

http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/2016/2/1/10889410/henry-ellenson-marquette-golden-eagles-big-east-coast-bias-player-of-the-week-award

pardon my being born on a turnip truck, but what is a coach bias?

go HE, but stay stay stay

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2016, 05:15:51 PM »
didn't want tyo start a whole new topic-henry wins big east coach bias player of the week

http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/2016/2/1/10889410/henry-ellenson-marquette-golden-eagles-big-east-coast-bias-player-of-the-week-award

pardon my being born on a turnip truck, but what is a coach bias?

go HE, but stay stay stay

That would be "Big East COAST Bias".
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.