Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: SOTG  (Read 8611 times)

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
Re: SOTG
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2016, 04:03:26 PM »

Henry......Next game is Traci's
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2016, 04:18:37 PM »
Who was the poster that thought Hank would be here for 4 years?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2016, 04:19:29 PM »
Who was the poster that thought Hank would be here for 4 years?

MU Fan in NY I think? Might not be the exact username.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2016, 04:43:17 PM »
Today? He had a lot of money coming his way for a long time now.

Sorry Engine. Hank gets SOTG

So you don't think the show he put on today for the scouts in the house had any impact on his market value?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2016, 04:45:21 PM »
So you don't think the show he put on today for the scouts in the house had any impact on his market value?

Henry is a lottery pick regardless. They aren't drafting him for what he can do today, they're drafting him for his potential. He has revealed that all season long, and the deficiencies people point out are all things that can be fixed with coaching.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2016, 04:46:45 PM »
Henry. What an awesome performance to watch. Great team win, with key contributions up and down the roster, but Henry played like an All-American.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2016, 04:49:10 PM »
Any y'all who can't see da pro in Henry right now are either basketball ignorant, plain ignorant, or both, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2016, 04:55:06 PM »

I don't think today's performance had one iota of an effect on how much Henry Ellenson will make playing basketball.  NBA scouts and GMs don't look into individual performances when they're evaluating who they're taking on their team.  That's the thing that a lot of people on this site seem to somehow not understand.  Hank's 32, 10, and 6 today means just as little as Hank's 12 and 11 against Stetson on Wednesday.

Hank was going to be a top 10 pick in the 2016 NBA Draft as of yesterday, Hank is going to be a top 10 pick in the 2016 NBA Draft as of today, and Hank will be a top 10 pick in the 2016 NBA Draft as of tomorrow.  The only possible way a single game performance will change his draft position is if he suffers a serious injury prior to the NBA Draft in June.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2016, 04:58:23 PM »
Two plays stood out for me that really made me stand up and take notice of Henry today:

1) When Roosevelt Jones was killing us with that curl, he went at Henry. Hank used his length to push Jones wide and prevent the easy drive to the hoop. After watching that play seemingly on instant replay all day, it was fantastic to see Henry make a smart, savvy defensive move to stop Butler's go-to.

2) Henry was pinned on the baseline and instead of forcing up a floater or tossing a bad pass, he drove straight at the defense even though there was zero chance of scoring. There was, however, a chance of drawing a foul, which he did and hit both free throws. It wasn't the pretty play, but it was the tough play.

Today was Henry's best game BY FAR in a Marquette uniform. His shot selection was better. Only two three attempts. The first one I wasn't a fan of, the second was late in the shot clock and he drilled it. His offensive rebound putback was monstrous, for a guy who's been relatively invisible on the offensive glass, that was huge. Don't forget, Butler pushed Purdue's front line around. Henry didn't allow that. Very impressed. Will he be able to replicate this? Who knows. But despite Traci's lights out longball performance, despite Duane's clutch baskets, despite everything else good that happened, Henry was the man.

SOTG without a doubt.

Well, Swanigan did go for 25 and 10 and Hammons a decent 12 and 7.

Not to mention I think Purdue's front line is completely overrated.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2016, 05:05:58 PM »
Henry.

Great games by Traci, Haanif and JJJ.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2016, 05:08:12 PM »
Henri

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2016, 05:19:50 PM »

HE is da man

sidenote:
       someone should just pick out a random group of astute looking gentlemen with matching fedora's before every game and tell traci they are all scouts checking him out-heyna?
don't...don't don't don't don't

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2016, 05:24:00 PM »
I don't think today's performance had one iota of an effect on how much Henry Ellenson will make playing basketball.  NBA scouts and GMs don't look into individual performances when they're evaluating who they're taking on their team.  That's the thing that a lot of people on this site seem to somehow not understand.  Hank's 32, 10, and 6 today means just as little as Hank's 12 and 11 against Stetson on Wednesday.

Hank was going to be a top 10 pick in the 2016 NBA Draft as of yesterday, Hank is going to be a top 10 pick in the 2016 NBA Draft as of today, and Hank will be a top 10 pick in the 2016 NBA Draft as of tomorrow.  The only possible way a single game performance will change his draft position is if he suffers a serious injury prior to the NBA Draft in June.

Agree that Henry is and always was a top ten pick regardless of individual performances. But does getting drafted fourth vs seventh make a difference in pay? Honestly don't know how the nba rookie contracts work.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2016, 05:29:51 PM »
Agree that Henry is and always was a top ten pick regardless of individual performances. But does getting drafted fourth vs seventh make a difference in pay? Honestly don't know how the nba rookie contracts work.

Per your request:

http://fansided.com/2015/06/25/nba-draft-2015-rookie-salaries/

Very nice money. Very nice.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2016, 05:42:44 PM »

Yes it makes a difference, but again, the point is being missed.  NBA GMs and scouts didn't just bump Henry up on their big board because he went for 32, 10, and 6 blocks on Butler, just like they didn't bump him down because he went for 12 and 11 against Stetson like some here think they did.

If Simmons had gone for 4, 5, and 2 against OU while shooting 2 for 13 NBA scouts and GMs aren't going to be sitting there thinking, "Hank was a hell of a lot better against a still good Butler team than Simmons was against OU.  We like Hank over Simmons."

That's simply not how it works.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2016, 05:48:51 PM »
Henry

First of many great games in a Warrior uniform.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2016, 05:53:53 PM »
Yes it makes a difference, but again, the point is being missed.  NBA GMs and scouts didn't just bump Henry up on their big board because he went for 32, 10, and 6 blocks on Butler, just like they didn't bump him down because he went for 12 and 11 against Stetson like some here think they did.

If Simmons had gone for 4, 5, and 2 against OU while shooting 2 for 13 NBA scouts and GMs aren't going to be sitting there thinking, "Hank was a hell of a lot better against a still good Butler team than Simmons was against OU.  We like Hank over Simmons."

That's simply not how it works.

I get that. One game surely doesn't bump you up or down a big board. But how you play over the course does. I don't mean the stats you accumulate but the skill, talent, and potential you show during games throughout the season, otherwise, what's the point of scouts coming to games? Its better that Henry played well than didn't. Today alone won't move him up the draft board. But today's performance, combined with the other good performances throughout the season might move him up a spot or two.

In conclusion, I think it is unfair to imply today and today alone got Henry drafted. I also think it is unfair to say that him playing well today didn't help his draft status one iota.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2016, 07:30:28 PM »
1) Henry

2) All those scoopers who stood up for the Engine just asking for a little patience.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2016, 07:39:54 PM »
Per your request:

http://fansided.com/2015/06/25/nba-draft-2015-rookie-salaries/

Very nice money. Very nice.

Interesting.

I obviously don't think HE is going to stay another year, but maybe just maybe, he wants to play another year with his bro and this chart is taped to his door. Maybe he goes between 6-10 this year, but maybe he wants to go #1 next year. Obviously the risk is he gets hurt, but the upside is as high as $15+ million over his first four years in the league. That's gotta be worth something, right?

Also, pretty sure NBA rookie contracts are supposed to go up in one of the next couple years. 

Crazier things have happened.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2016, 07:54:05 PM »
Interesting.

I obviously don't think HE is going to stay another year, but maybe just maybe, he wants to play another year with his bro and this chart is taped to his door. Maybe he goes between 6-10 this year, but maybe he wants to go #1 next year. Obviously the risk is he gets hurt, but the upside is as high as $15+ million over his first four years in the league. That's gotta be worth something, right?

Also, pretty sure NBA rookie contracts are supposed to go up in one of the next couple years. 

Crazier things have happened.

Will the chart taped to his door also have a sheet accompanying it reminding him that his 2016-2017 season earnings could be either $0.00 or $3M while his 2019-2020 earnings would be either $8M (which would assume the #1 overall pick in 2017...which he wouldn't be...) or $20M?

See how quickly that "$15M+" really becomes -$11M?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 07:56:26 PM by wadesworld »

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2016, 08:30:38 PM »
Will the chart taped to his door also have a sheet accompanying it reminding him that his 2016-2017 season earnings could be either $0.00 or $3M while his 2019-2020 earnings would be either $8M (which would assume the #1 overall pick in 2017...which he wouldn't be...) or $20M?

See how quickly that "$15M+" really becomes -$11M?

No I don't follow your math.

$3M + $12M (diff between $20M and $8M) = $15M, which would even it out. Plus assuming he gets $20M AAV in his first FA contract is pretty crazy.

He'll still go, but there's a significant different between #1 pick and #10 pick.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2016, 08:50:13 PM »

$3M + $12M (diff between $20M and $8M) = $15M, which would even it out. Plus assuming he gets $20M AAV in his first FA contract is pretty crazy.

He'll still go, but there's a significant different between #1 pick and #10 pick.

1st of all he'll be higher than 10 this year and he wouldn't be 1 if he hung around. But we'll go with your "+15M" on his first contract alone.

I went with Hank at 7 in 16 (where Ford has him) compared to 1 the next year (again, where he wouldn't be). If Hank stayed and went 1 overall it'd be:

16-17 season: -$3M
17-18 season: +$2M (net -$1M through 2 years)
18-19 season: +3.5M (net +2.5M)

So now in order to come out positive Hank's 2nd contract would have to be over $10M/year (getting just under $8M in his final year of his rookie contract plus the +2.5 he'd net over the next 3 years). That's not all that hard to imagine from a top 10 draft pick, especially with the salary cap going way up but the rookie scale saying roughly the same, from what I understand. And again this assumes Hank goes 1 overall if he stays an extra year (which I don't think there is a chance of).

The best bet for Hank to make the most money in his career is to get his first contract started ASAP.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 08:51:55 PM by wadesworld »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2016, 08:58:57 PM »

He won't be the number one pick in 2017.  Very deep class.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2016, 09:47:27 PM »

He won't be the number one pick in 2017.  Very deep class.

Agreed, but I doubt he thinks that way. Look, 98% HE is gone, but you never know what a 19 YO kid is thinking. I am sure he wants to get to the show ASAP tho.

BlindboyPatSmith

• Starter
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2016, 09:51:12 PM »
Just checking the board now...and fully expected the quickest SOTG call ever....clear cut...no brainer....done deal

HENRY