Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Point guard  (Read 6105 times)

HoopsterBC

• All American
Point guard
« on: January 24, 2016, 11:27:29 AM »
It is obvious looking at the point guard situation in the Big East that MU has probably the 10Th best PG in the league, until that is rectified  MU is going nowhere?
Even if Henry goes pro, which would be a big deal,  it is imperative to sign a point this spring?  Even UWM has a better point than MU, has to be a JC guard out there
that wants to start right away.  Watching Carter weave in and out against De Paul and not taking the shot reminded me of the last few years.  Have to solidify that position.  Marcus Howard can step in at Indy easily,  ASU gets Thon Maker than I can see Howard going there.  When he visits MU, it better be an average day, not to cold.

The other question I have, does anybody other than Stan Johnson help in recruiting.  Without Johnson they do not get Bailey, now Howard.  Looks to me this young staff
has a long way to go to recruit.  Yes, they did good last year, recruiting 1 player for next year is bad.  They have wiffed quite a bit lately.  Is there a concern?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Point guard
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 12:15:23 PM »
Coaches always need to look for PGs...but you need to remember that Carter is a true frosh.  And while his game still has inconsistency and weaknesses, he has shown flashes of good defense and passing.

Getting Howard would be great, but if not, I have confidence that Traci will become a solid BE PG over the next three years.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 12:28:36 PM »
There is so much that is so great about this post.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 12:45:08 PM »
Freshman points usually aren't ready to be big contributors at this level. Diener wasn't ready, but we had Cordell to pay the point so Diener could be off the ball. James was the exception. Junior not only wasn't ready in his limited time as a freshman, he wasn't ready as a sophomore so Buycks played the point. Derrick wasn't ready as a freshman or sophomore.

It's a hard position to adjust to. The difference is most of those others had veterans that could ease them into it. Traci will be fine. He's adapting to the toughest position in the college game with no real safety valve. Need to be patient with him.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 12:46:42 PM »
I agree we need to recruit a point guard. we are problably 10th best in league at point and small forward. I do have hope that Carter is one of those players that will take a big jump from freshmen to sophomore year. His play in the first half against Villanova shows he has a lot of potential.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 12:51:06 PM »
Freshman points usually aren't ready to be big contributors at this level. Diener wasn't ready, but we had Cordell to pay the point so Diener could be off the ball. James was the exception. Junior not only wasn't ready in his limited time as a freshman, he wasn't ready as a sophomore so Buycks played the point. Derrick wasn't ready as a freshman or sophomore.

It's a hard position to adjust to. The difference is most of those others had veterans that could ease them into it. Traci will be fine. He's adapting to the toughest position in the college game with no real safety valve. Need to be patient with him.
I disagree that Diener was not ready. Crean just went with the more experienced guard. Diener coming off the bench average 7.9 points and had 86 assists.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 01:24:10 PM »
It is obvious looking at the point guard situation in the Big East that MU has probably the 10Th best PG in the league, until that is rectified  MU is going nowhere?
Even if Henry goes pro, which would be a big deal,  it is imperative to sign a point this spring?  Even UWM has a better point than MU, has to be a JC guard out there that wants to start right away.  Watching Carter weave in and out against De Paul and not taking the shot reminded me of the last few years.  Have to solidify that position.  Marcus Howard can step in at Indy easily,  ASU gets Thon Maker than I can see Howard going there.  When he visits MU, it better be an average day, not to cold.

The other question I have, does anybody other than Stan Johnson help in recruiting.  Without Johnson they do not get Bailey, now Howard.  Looks to me this young staff
has a long way to go to recruit.  Yes, they did good last year, recruiting 1 player for next year is bad.  They have wiffed quite a bit lately.  Is there a concern?

Most JUCOs, like most HS guys commit in the fall.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 01:30:27 PM »
I disagree that Diener was not ready. Crean just went with the more experienced guard. Diener coming off the bench average 7.9 points and had 86 assists.
Agree with you.  Diener was just fine as a frosh.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 01:35:58 PM »
Wojo won't be recruitin' a 1 guard if he thought a serviceable one was currently on da roster, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 01:50:50 PM »
To answer one of your other questions, I think Nelson does a fair bit of recruiting.  It doesn't seem like Carrawell does much.

Fred Garvin

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 01:54:38 PM »
Your right Nelson does

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2016, 02:02:07 PM »

Diener was fine, but I do feel he was better playing off the ball that year. I think if Traci had a Cordell Henry type ahead of him, he wouldn't get as much criticism. At times, he looks like a stud, at others he looks like a liability. So basically, he's a freshman.

I expect him to improve next year and by his junior and senior years be one of the best lead guards in the conference. The inconsistency we see now will become solid play in the long run. Could we use another PG? Yes, but that's almost always a truism. We're fine at the position.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2016, 02:13:51 PM »
Diener was fine, but I do feel he was better playing off the ball that year. I think if Traci had a Cordell Henry type ahead of him, he wouldn't get as much criticism.

John Dawson?

Meathead

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2016, 03:29:42 PM »
John Dawson?

Good point.  Team would greatly benefit having Dawson on the roster.  He's put up some really good numbers since becoming active at Liberty.  He hit a game winner for them yesterday.  Looks to be averaging 13ppg on 56% shooting with a high assist and rebounding rate.  Team was 0-8 against Division 1 teams prior to him becoming eligible, and has gone 4-7 since.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2016, 03:34:38 PM »
Good point.  Team would greatly benefit having Dawson on the roster.  He's put up some really good numbers since becoming active at Liberty.  He hit a game winner for them yesterday.  Looks to be averaging 13ppg on 56% shooting with a high assist and rebounding rate.  Team was 0-8 against Division 1 teams prior to him becoming eligible, and has gone 4-7 since.

All of which tells you everything you need to know about the competition in Liberty's conference.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Meathead

• Walk-On
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2016, 03:48:09 PM »
All of which tells you everything you need to know about the competition in Liberty's conference.

Isn't Liberty in the same conference the much talked about player for next year, Andrew Rowsey, came from?  Also, considering our weak strength of schedule this season, not sure we should discount his numbers as compared to those posted by our guys who go to feast on the 323rd ranked Non Conference schedule strength.  For the year we are at 181 SOS and Liberty is at 210. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2016, 03:52:01 PM »
Good lord. I was kidding. John Dawson is where he should be.

Meathead

• Walk-On
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2016, 03:59:18 PM »
Good lord. I was kidding. John Dawson is where he should be.

Really?  Not sure why as according to the statistics he's better shooting, passing, and rebounding than any of our current guards.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2016, 04:03:07 PM »
Really?  Not sure why as according to the statistics he's better shooting, passing, and rebounding than any of our current guards.

He's playing in a crappy conference. Are you for real?  Outside of Dawson's family and their adopted son Ners, no one thinks he should be playing here.

And with that, I am done and sorry I brought it up.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2016, 04:05:27 PM »
And let me jump early on the Meathead=Ners bandwagon.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2016, 04:06:17 PM »
And let me jump early on the Meathead=Ners bandwagon.

Haha wow that's a great call, didn't even think of that.

Meathead

• Walk-On
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2016, 04:12:47 PM »

He's playing in a crappy conference. Are you for real?  Outside of Dawson's family and their adopted son Ners, no one thinks he should be playing here.

And with that, I am done and sorry I brought it up.

Am I for real?  How would we not benefit from a physical guard who shoots 56% from the field, 38% from the 3, assists at a 25% rate and rebounds at a 23% rate? 

Apparently your post was sarcastic, yet given the above numbers it seems very odd.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2016, 04:16:27 PM »
I'm happy for Dawson, seems like a nice kid.  He's playing where he needs to play.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2016, 04:26:32 PM »
Am I for real?  How would we not benefit from a physical guard who shoots 56% from the field, 38% from the 3, assists at a 25% rate and rebounds at a 23% rate? 

Apparently your post was sarcastic, yet given the above numbers it seems very odd.

Because he wouldn't be doing any of that here. He's a low major player. Nothing wrong with that, but he never belonged here.

Dahmerville

• Walk-On
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2016, 05:02:06 PM »
Agree with you.  Diener was just fine as a frosh.

He should have been ready, he was like 21.

feedback