[June 06, 2024, 09:01:17 PM]

Ranking Big East Centers by Its DJOver
[June 06, 2024, 08:28:03 PM]

Incoming freshmen by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 06, 2024, 07:38:04 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by willie warrior
[June 06, 2024, 04:19:07 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: SJU thoughts  (Read 15254 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: SJU thoughts
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2016, 12:47:20 PM »
We have to be the worst shooting team in the Big East and everyone knows it.

Actually we are sixth in conference in both eFG% and 3P%. We are an average shooting team. We just get overly frustrated as fans and assume the worst.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2016, 12:49:52 PM »
Actually we are sixth in conference in both eFG% and 3P%. We are an average shooting team. We just get overly frustrated as fans and assume the worst.

TAMU, your statistics are no good here.  They don't pass the eye test.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2016, 01:40:57 PM »
Sandy is the most unselfish player on the team.  We watched from section 209 and cheered for Sandy to shoot throughout the game.  He passed up so many shot opportunities in the first half that in the second half he didn't have the touch.  Sandy, please shoot more.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2016, 02:37:12 PM »
St. Johns didn't look crappy to me. If Sima is back when we play them there I'll be worried. We have to be the worst shooting team in the Big East and everyone knows it. You would think with two 6'10" guys we should at least break even getting offensive rebounds but our guys can't jump. After watching that game the crappy team won.

Percentage wise we are a pretty good 3P shooting team.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2016, 02:48:58 PM »
Actually we are sixth in conference in both eFG% and 3P%. We are an average shooting team. We just get overly frustrated as fans and assume the worst. and remember the last three years.

FIFY
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2016, 03:54:13 PM »
a lot of our makes are from driving layups from Haanif and dunks from Luke. Most of Henrys production is from close ranges. Most of JJJ is drives. A lot of Duane is from drives. Sandy makes a lot of dunks. etc.

In general our outside shooting is not much of a threat.  So combined with the inside makes we are pretty much average. I guess a basket is a basket and that is why the coaches encourage the driving it to the rack on this team.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2016, 04:01:03 PM »
Driving to and finishing around the basket..... pretty good.
3 pt shooting percentage...... adequate.
Mid range game.... with the exception of Henry, nearly non-existent. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2016, 05:47:56 PM »
Best part: free throws down the stretch.

Well, I'd argue that those big 3's by Duane were the best part. because if he doesn't make them to give us the lead, St. John's isn't fouling us and sending us to the line to clinch the game.

But yes, I dug it that we made those FTs!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2016, 09:41:11 AM »
a lot of our makes are from driving layups from Haanif and dunks from Luke. Most of Henrys production is from close ranges. Most of JJJ is drives. A lot of Duane is from drives. Sandy makes a lot of dunks. etc.

In general our outside shooting is not much of a threat.  So combined with the inside makes we are pretty much average. I guess a basket is a basket and that is why the coaches encourage the driving it to the rack on this team.

Is there an eFG% stat for in the paint and out of the paint scoring?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2016, 09:44:06 AM »

My observation is that this is pretty par for the course in college basketball today.  And in pro basketball too.  Either shots are made in the paint, or at the three point line.  Not much mid range any longer.

brandx

« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2016, 04:39:34 PM »

Not much mid range any longer.

Where's Butch Lee when you need him? He lived of of those 10-14 foot shots.

mubb3434

• Team Captain
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2016, 04:50:50 PM »
Loved the way that Luke played. He actually finished his little baby hook. Good to see & we need those to fall in order to win games.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2016, 05:04:27 PM »
Loved the way that Luke played. He actually finished his little baby hook. Good to see & we need those to fall in order to win games.
Careful...you are walking into the "St. John's only had one player over 6-7 and he was just 6-9 so of course Luke's shot was falling over smaller competition" trap.

That being said, I agree with you.  Even with the height difference having it fall in conference play has to be a confidence booster for him.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2016, 05:26:41 PM »

This. Outside Henry the only guys who may even shoot a mid range shot are JJJ and Duane. And they don't do it much at all much less make a bunch
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Big Daddy 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2016, 05:39:37 PM »
From the corner of the arena where I stand with my broom...#4 for SJ is a punk.  The fact he was able to get a foul called late in the game setting an illegal pick was BS.  Three times he ran at our players with his arms folded across his chest and then flopping when he hit one of our guys.  Total bush league...

And that's all I have to say about that.

brandx

« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2016, 06:10:40 PM »
From the corner of the arena where I stand with my broom...#4 for SJ is a punk.  The fact he was able to get a foul called late in the game setting an illegal pick was BS.  Three times he ran at our players with his arms folded across his chest and then flopping when he hit one of our guys.  Total bush league...

And that's all I have to say about that.

I spotted that as well Daddy. I know he "drew" a charging foul once and another time the officials let it go (next possession after the foul, I believe). They were definitely cheap shop attempts to draw a charge as he would just step in behind a dribbling teammate where the defender had no chance to avoid contact.  It was not a case where he set a pick and then the dribbler went around it.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2016, 06:04:58 AM »
Marquette has played seven Pomeroy Top 100 teams and has not been able to crack 100 yet in offensive efficiency.  MU is last in the conference in offense and first in pace. Until MU can keep its turnovers down in order to get into its offense, they will be in the bottom of the standings. When the freshmen figure it out, then we can go on a roll.

To beat Nova on their campus, the frosh have to play like upperclassmen.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2016, 06:57:50 AM »
Careful...you are walking into the "St. John's only had one player over 6-7 and he was just 6-9 so of course Luke's shot was falling over smaller competition" trap.

That being said, I agree with you.  Even with the height difference having it fall in conference play has to be a confidence booster for him.
I do not think it was the height difference. The difference was that St. John's did not body him. Also most of his shots were from the side of the basket. Fischer does not seem to shoot well when he is aiming at the front of the basket.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2016, 08:10:33 AM »
I do not think it was the height difference. The difference was that St. John's did not body him. Also most of his shots were from the side of the basket. Fischer does not seem to shoot well when he is aiming at the front of the basket.
Good point

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2016, 08:12:47 AM »

My observation is that this is pretty par for the course in college basketball today.  And in pro basketball too.  Either shots are made in the paint, or at the three point line.  Not much mid range any longer.

Because coaches are doing that on purpose, the current popular strategy is avoiding mid range due to efficiency

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2016, 08:24:01 AM »
Because coaches are doing that on purpose, the current popular strategy is avoiding mid range due to efficiency

True.  But if you drive all of the way to basket with your man defending you plus a big swatting at it that isn't very efficient.  You need to be able to hit a pull-up every so often to keep your man honest plus stay away from the big.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2016, 08:28:53 AM »
I thought Luke did a great job of back in toward the middle and then using the reverse spin move back toward the baseline to get the baby hook from the side.  He did a much better job of sensing the defenders location and then adjusting.  Previously he just seemed to muscle toward the middle no matter what.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2016, 08:36:20 AM »
Always thought the JjJ's career progression needed to include a pull up 10 footer, perfect compliment to his slashing, but it just hasn't developed unfortunately.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2016, 12:40:01 PM »
From the corner of the arena where I stand with my broom...#4 for SJ is a punk.

I think I have finally figured out who Big Daddy is:

Have some patience, FFS.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2016, 12:48:03 PM »
I think I have finally figured out who Big Daddy is:

Big Daddy would never associate with that type of scum.