Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Markus Howard Update  (Read 14916 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Markus Howard Update
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2016, 03:47:19 PM »
what makes alford a "richard"  many thought he played for one although that was just bobby being bobby-heyna?

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/87476/pierre-pierce-still-haunting-iowa-too

"In 2002 Pierce, a star guard under Steve Alford at Iowa, was charged with sexual assault when a woman accused him of forcing himself on her (and holding her mouth, stopping her from screaming) at a party in Iowa City. Alford publicly defended Pierce at the time, but he went further -- allowing Athletes in Action campus representative (and unofficial team chaplain) Jim Goodrich to arrange an informal "prayer meeting" with Pierce and the victim. As the university report later stated, "The female student's reaction to this contact was concern that the University was improperly involving itself in trying to resolve the matter," a contact that "confirmed her fears that the University would act to protect its athlete," at which point "her response was to pursue criminal charges." The meeting itself seemed seedy enough, but the religious invocation put it over the top -- and when Pierce was charged again in 2005, this time for allegedly choking, forcibly stripping and threatening his ex-girlfriend with a knife, it marked the beginning of the end of Alford's tenure."

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2016, 03:58:31 PM »

I Clicked!   Always Will.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2016, 03:59:30 PM »
So say we land Howard and he does reclassify…. what happens with Traci? He slides into the backup role and Rowsey just rides the pine?

Just win baby.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2016, 04:01:25 PM »
So say we land Howard and he does reclassify…. what happens with Traci? He slides into the backup role and Rowsey just rides the pine?

Just win baby.

Rowsey rides pine?  Rowsey would start.

And what do you want us to do?  Just go out and recruit some walk ons so we don't have kids who were starting last year coming off the bed?

Man, the crazy really does come out here after a couple of losses.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2016, 04:06:12 PM »

And what do you want us to do?  Just go out and recruit some walk ons so we don't have kids who were starting last year coming off the bed?

Yep....what part of " you recruit as many good players as you can and let them compete" don't people get?

The kid is a borderline 5 star recruit and can shoot the lights out......I think we can find a place for him.

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2016, 04:07:26 PM »

I asked a fair questions. I’m curious as to what you would think the PG rotation would be. You predict Rowsey starts?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2016, 04:07:41 PM »
what makes alford a "richard"  many thought he played for one although that was just bobby being bobby-heyna?

Spent one year working for Bobby as a grad student.  Not directly for him, but for the department.  The things he would demand of his people and his team, but wouldn't demand of himself was priceless.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2016, 04:26:42 PM »
I asked a fair questions. I’m curious as to what you would think the PG rotation would be. You predict Rowsey starts?

Then why the, "Just win, baby" comment? It makes it seem like you think there is something morally wrong with recruiting a player that is better than a guy already on the roster.

My prediction is you would see a starting backcourt of Howard and Rowsey with Duane, Traci, and Cheatham coming off the bench (unless they gave Cheatham a shot at the 3 and he started there).
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2016, 04:50:47 PM »
Then why the, "Just win, baby" comment? It makes it seem like you think there is something morally wrong with recruiting a player that is better than a guy already on the roster.

Probably because his username is Al Davis.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2016, 05:04:28 PM »
Markus Howard would be great.  A big time, physical forward would be great too.  Can we have both?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2016, 05:24:52 PM »

My prediction is you would see a starting backcourt of Howard and Rowsey with Duane, Traci, and Cheatham coming off the bench (unless they gave Cheatham a shot at the 3 and he started there).

You dating Rowsey, hey?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2016, 05:32:19 PM »
Markus Howard would be great.  A big time, physical forward would be great too.  Can we have both?

Honestly not seeing that many uncommitted big time physical PFs in the 2016....closest thing to it might be Kostas. Might have to go the juco or grad transfer route.

Though there are some decent midseason transfer bigs. Goodluck Okonoboh, Elijah Thomas, and CJ Turman are all still available.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 05:34:37 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2016, 05:32:44 PM »

I experienced him recruit some one first hand. When the kid decommitted, he called the coach and said they he would ruin the kids chance to ever play at any other successful D1 program.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2016, 05:33:51 PM »
You dating Rowsey, hey?

Nope. Need to be able to shoot the ball to win in basketball at any level today. We don't have many guys who can do that. Rowsey can.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2016, 05:41:06 PM »
Nope. Need to be able to shoot the ball to win in basketball at any level today. We don't have many guys who can do that. Rowsey can.

Very small guy though.

...and in 12 career games against top 100 KenPom opponents, Rowsey has shot 26/82 3FG, good for 31.7%.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2016, 05:44:30 PM »
Very small guy though.

...and in 12 career games against top 100 KenPom opponents, Rowsey has shot 26/82 3FG, good for 31.7%.

He is small, but Wojo has shown a willingness to play small. In Brooklyn for at least one of the 2 games he had a lineup of Traci, Cheatham, Duane, JJJ, and I think it was Luke, but might've been Hank, at the 5 for an extended run.

Put the 5 best on the court and see what happens. Rowsey had to be the man at UNCA, I think we'll see him be more efficient with less defensive focus on him and (hopefully 2 but...) a true big down low.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2016, 05:55:10 PM »
Honestly not seeing that many uncommitted big time physical PFs in the 2016....closest thing to it might be Kostas. Might have to go the juco or grad transfer route.

Though there are some decent midseason transfer bigs. Goodluck Okonoboh, Elijah Thomas, and CJ Turman are all still available.

Here is 1. Not sure if he is more of center or PF but I know MU is involved. Lots of competition and I'm not sure if MU has offered.

Bruno is his name......how can he not be a beast?
http://www.hoopseen.com/index.php/news/headlines/item/4042-cancer-research-classic-standout-seven?utm_content=bufferd4cb1&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2016, 06:06:52 PM »
Here is 1. Not sure if he is more of center or PF but I know MU is involved. Lots of competition and I'm not sure if MU has offered.

Bruno is his name......how can he not be a beast?
http://www.hoopseen.com/index.php/news/headlines/item/4042-cancer-research-classic-standout-seven?utm_content=bufferd4cb1&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Has a great build (nh) and is MEAN. Would call him a PF. Ran w/E1T1 and center Tony Bradley (UNC).

Pretty raw, but showed more than just flashes. Physical, great motor.

Wouldn't see as a match w/MU, but he's definitely a physical 2016 PF

MU82

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2016, 06:50:00 PM »
If Howard wants to come to MU you take him. If he is better than Carter and gets 75% of the PG minutes and Carter doesn't like it, he can transfer. This is a big-boy program. Earn your job. That goes for Rowsey, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2016, 06:57:26 PM »
I experienced him recruit some one first hand. When the kid decommitted, he called the coach and said they he would ruin the kids chance to ever play at any other successful D1 program.

thanks for the feedback-yup,  that would put him on the all-star team.  ya think word like this gets out and well, as i've learned and seen many times, no matter what, don't ever ever ever burn a bridge
don't...don't don't don't don't

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2016, 09:49:43 PM »
Very small guy though.

JB, appreciate the post. I hadn't seen that stat before.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2016, 10:20:26 PM »
Very small guy though.

Henry is a tall guy though.
.....and in 6 career games against top 100 KenPom opponents(Ok, Belmont is #107), Henry has shot 6/18 3FG, good for 33.3%.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2016, 04:27:16 PM »
Looks like IU is also getting an official visit for Howard. Week before MU visit.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2016, 04:35:55 PM »

You're always on top of the transfers..any update to this list? http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/14390188/midseason-transfer-list Any of these guys find new homes? Find it hard to believe that at least a few haven't. Where'e Elijah looking?
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2016, 05:49:13 PM »
Henry is a tall guy though.
.....and in 6 career games against top 100 KenPom opponents(Ok, Belmont is #107), Henry has shot 6/18 3FG, good for 33.3%.

Yep - better than Rowsey. However, a person in this thread is proclaiming Rowsey as an amazing 3-point shooter. No one is doing so re: Henry.

feedback