2025 Bracketology by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:57:10 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Skatastrophy
[June 02, 2024, 08:27:35 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 02, 2024, 09:27:42 AM]

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette keeping opponents away from free throw line  (Read 5666 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Marquette keeping opponents away from free throw line
« on: December 28, 2015, 08:50:32 AM »
Did not see this post before (apologies if it has been already) ...

MU is among the best in the country at this stat

Marquette keeping opponents away from free throw line
By Matt Velazquez of the Journal Sentinel   
Dec. 26, 2015

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/marquette-keeping-opponents-away-from-free-throw-line-b99640341z1-363569221.html

[snip]

Through 11 games, Marquette's opponents have attempted just 150 free throws compared with 727 field goals, yielding a 20.6 free-throw rate. On offense, the Golden Eagles are getting to the line more often with a rate of 39.6, which is above the national average of 36.4.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 01:15:02 PM by rocky_warrior »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Marquette keeping opponents away from free throw line
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 09:39:21 AM »
Don't know if the article was posted, but it has been discussed. Speaks volumes of the coaching staff, that we are not only adapting to the new rules, but that a relatively young team isn't making the common mistakes that young players so often do.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 09:56:23 AM »
Seriously, stop posting the entirety, or nearly the entirety of Matt V.'s articles.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

brandx

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 10:15:00 AM »
This is meaningless.

We have played a schedule of cupcakes whose only chance was to fire up three's.

Conversely, they have had no defense other than fouling - for the most part - to stop our bigger guys inside.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 10:40:24 AM »
Seriously, stop posting the entirety, or nearly the entirety of Matt V.'s articles.

I will not.  If you feel that the JS is hurting so bad that another 50 to 100 hits matters, then go spend your afternoon hitting the link.

JS is so bankrupt that no one notices that Matt V publishes these articles until I post them here three days later (unlike ESPN.com where every link with the word "Marquette" gets posted here within 3 minutes of it hitting the site).  The JS organization cannot be saved (like all print media).  NO ONE READS THEM and my altering posts here will not change that.  They give it away for free so it will be treated as such.

When Matt relocates to a  paywall site, I will respect it and not post.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 10:48:27 AM by Heisenberg »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 11:08:40 AM »
I will not.  If you feel that the JS is hurting so bad that another 50 to 100 hits matters, then go spend your afternoon hitting the link.

JS is so bankrupt that no one notices that Matt V publishes these articles until I post them here three days later (unlike ESPN.com where every link with the word "Marquette" gets posted here within 3 minutes of it hitting the site).  The JS organization cannot be saved (like all print media).  NO ONE READS THEM and my altering posts here will not change that.  They give it away for free so it will be treated as such.

All you are doing is hurting Matt. That doesn't seem right. The guy has done a great job covering our favorite team and deserves the credit.

Post the link but stop cutting and pasting the whole article.

Death on call

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 11:11:33 AM »

A) Might get you more clicks/comments if I didn't have to scroll through the text of an article I already read

B) Most, if not all, of Matt's articles are automatically populated within Scoop like Crackedsidewalks and Paint Touches....at least post the full article if you must within that thread so we don't have seven iterations of the same article.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 11:37:33 AM »
A) Might get you more clicks/comments if I didn't have to scroll through the text of an article I already read

B) Most, if not all, of Matt's articles are automatically populated within Scoop like Crackedsidewalks and Paint Touches....at least post the full article if you must within that thread so we don't have seven iterations of the same article.

I didn't see this article or the other article (Wojo-is-upset-after-win) being autofed to Scoop.  I wonder why that is

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 11:40:06 AM »

The links are autofed with a teaser. But the entire article is never posted.

Matt is evaluated on click count so if we want the JS to continue covering MU we need to go to the site and register a visit.

Death on call

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 11:56:24 AM »
All you are doing is hurting Matt. That doesn't seem right. The guy has done a great job covering our favorite team and deserves the credit.

How does this hurt Matt?  Is his employment contract has a stipulation for clicks on his stories?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 12:02:46 PM »

If I had not posted this story or the Wojo is not happy with the game yesterday, no one would have noticed them.  If I was Matt, I would be far more concerned that his JS articles about MU basketball are virtually invisible to the largest MU message board.  By contrast Myron Medcalf has some story buried in the labyrinth that is ESPN.com and mentions MU in about the 15th paragraph and within minutes after that hits ESPN.com.  Someone here find it and posts it.  That should worry Matt.

It is a damming indictment of the JS online strategy and if my copy and paste of some text is affecting his employer, they are doomed.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2015, 12:04:07 PM »
How does this hurt Matt?  Is his employment contract has a stipulation for clicks on his stories?
you don't see how a professional journalist benefits from a measurable showing of how popular his content is?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2015, 12:11:01 PM »
you don't see how a professional journalist benefits from a measurable showing of how popular his content is?

For his ego or his paycheck?  You know that hit counts on the JS site affect his paycheck?  Because if they do, I will repeat again, it appears that no one here but me reads him as I'm the only one that posts what he says. 

Also look at his automatic posts, looks at the hit count ... everyone here knows it's an auto-generated so they do not bother.  His post games notes have 271 hits.  Towers' post game notes have 1858 hits.  A fireman's post-game opinion is 9 times more popular than the MU beat writers post-game opinion.

RealChili's game day thread has 454 hits, Matt pre-game thread has 81 hits.

You may love him but no one posts his stuff here but me and his auto-generated posts attract relatively little to no interest here.

You guys have all voted with your action ... you don't bother with him.   So don't blame me for posting his text, start reading him yourself!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 12:16:47 PM by Heisenberg »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2015, 12:16:14 PM »
Berg....it shows people are going to the JS to read about MU.  That helps to justify resources toward MU by the JS which ultimately does impact his paycheck, etc.

In my view, I think putting a small excerpt is ok, but then link the rest of the story to the JS.  That way you get credit for finding the story, the link helps Matt and the JS.  Win win.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2015, 12:20:51 PM »
Agreed.  Bergendomer, do a link.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2015, 12:21:05 PM »
Berg....it shows people are going to the JS to read about MU.  That helps to justify resources toward MU by the JS which ultimately does impact his paycheck, etc.

In my view, I think putting a small excerpt is ok, but then link the rest of the story to the JS.  That way you get credit for finding the story, the link helps Matt and the JS.  Win win.

Agreed.  Bergendomer, do a link.

I understand completely what you are saying.  Fact is no one reads him (see my post above) and if I just post his link (which I will do alone in the coming days) watch how that thread dies and not one bothers.

The painful truth is it political correct to say we like him but no one actually backs it up with actions and reads him (I actually do which is why he is even here in the first place).   Why is he not read?  Because daily newspapers have been discredited and "everyone understands" if it is a story that goes into the paper, it probably says nothing and is not worth reading.  Unfair or not, that is why we don't read him.  It is his employers fault and he suffers from it.

Sorry to bust your bubble.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 12:22:43 PM by Heisenberg »

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2015, 12:26:48 PM »

You guys have all voted with your action ... you don't bother with him.   So don't blame me for posting his text, start reading him yourself!
I'm not a big Twitter fan but I do follow Matt.  Why?  a) for the links to his content, b) to support for MU hoops (Chico's point), and c) to show support for Matt.  "C" follows the same logic as going to where he posts....more followers equates to a visible showing of support for his efforts.

Edit - he tweeted this story 19 hrs ago and 39min ago the BE honors of the week that MU got. 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 12:30:39 PM by naginiF »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2015, 12:36:02 PM »
Towers threads get more hits because people repeatedly go back to them to add to the discussion. Its the same 271 people, just multiplied. We usually dont discuss in the auto threads. I can tell you with 100% certainty that Matty V is evaluated by the amount of traffic his blog has (among other things).
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2015, 12:39:05 PM »
I understand completely what you are saying.  Fact is no one reads him (see my post above) and if I just post his link (which I will do alone in the coming days) watch how that thread dies and not one bothers.

The painful truth is it political correct to say we like him but no one actually backs it up with actions and reads him (I actually do which is why he is even here in the first place).   Why is he not read?  Because daily newspapers have been discredited and "everyone understands" if it is a story that goes into the paper, it probably says nothing and is not worth reading.  Unfair or not, that is why we don't read him.  It is his employers fault and he suffers from it.

Sorry to bust your bubble.

Careful you don't break your shoulder blade patting yourself on the back for your superior intellect.

First, just because people don't post his articles doesn't mean they don't read them.  I've seen plenty of people reference his work in threads without linking to the article. Second, not driving clicks to JS hurts Marquette as clicks is one way JS measures interest in content.  If we aren't click on his articles then JS doesn't know we are interested.  Lastly, posting entire articles is just dumb because it lengthens threads and makes them less desirable to read.

Links with a description but not the whole article should be the rule around here
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2015, 01:20:48 PM »

Edited original again.

It is a copyright violation to post the entire articles here.  Technically I'm not liable for what you post here (refer to the click-through agreement on the registration page), but if the JS comes to me with a copyright violation suit, I'd be handing them your information.  So better to avoid it altogether.

p.s. - I have previously received emails from the JS about copyright violations, which have all be resolved in a friendly way,  but please don't make me a target for them.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2015, 01:32:59 PM »
Edited original again.

It is a copyright violation to post the entire articles here.  Technically I'm not liable for what you post here (refer to the click-through agreement on the registration page), but if the JS comes to me with a copyright violation suit, I'd be handing them your information.  So better to avoid it altogether.

p.s. - I have previously received emails from the JS about copyright violations, which have all be resolved in a friendly way,  but please don't make me a target for them.

Agreed all is too much but "most" may not be, if you can define"most."  Seems no one define "most. see the link below.

I will abide by the new rules because Rocky said so.

http://www.socialfresh.com/how-to-use-content-from-other-blogs-without-infringing-on-their-copyright/

Amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to entire original work
Did you copy ALL of the work?
Did you copy MOST of the work?
The more you use, the more likely you are in the wrong. What is the right length? Many will say a couple paragraphs is fine. The AP specifically asks bloggers to pay for quotations more than 4 words. That is the extreme. The best rule of thumb here, as with most of copyright, is if you are unsure, just ask the copyright holder for permission.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2015, 01:44:10 PM »
For his ego or his paycheck?  You know that hit counts on the JS site affect his paycheck?  Because if they do, I will repeat again, it appears that no one here but me reads him as I'm the only one that posts what he says. 

You may love him but no one posts his stuff here but me and his auto-generated posts attract relatively little to no interest here.

I read JSonline daily but never post Matt's stories here because I know his auto feed will post the link if it hadn't already

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2015, 01:47:15 PM »
I read JSonline daily but never post Matt's stories here because I know his auto feed will post the link if it hadn't already

He only auto-feeds his JS blog posts, not stories for the paper.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2015, 02:20:26 PM »
He only auto-feeds his JS blog posts, not stories for the paper.

I can add a feed for his stories.  The JS broke it a while ago, but looks like it's working again.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2015, 02:40:49 PM »
I know a few writers for the JS.  They are very aware of their clicks, their editors are too.  Matt deserves as many clicks as possible.  It is one measuring tool of his performance
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

feedback