[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Grinch Is Gone  (Read 4963 times)

#UnleashSean

• All American
The Grinch Is Gone
« on: December 15, 2015, 10:45:50 PM »
couldn't handle a single bad season. Rest in peace Mr. Grinch.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: The Grinch Is Gone
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 12:30:53 AM »
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 12:44:18 AM »
Many things I didn't like about him, but a great coach.

It will be interesting to see who they hire long term.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 05:42:18 AM »
Fans want Bennett or Smart. They won't get either.

We'll definitely get an understanding of how Wisconsin is viewed nationally come this summer.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 06:24:18 AM »
And when they get their 5th choice, or worse, keep Gard, the wailing and gnashing of teeth and rending of garments as karma comes home to roost will be wildly entertaining.   My bet?   Archie Miller. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 06:40:36 AM »
My first reaction is to wish Ryan well.  He's a helluva coach.  My second reaction is somewhat more cynical.  His decision to immediately step down is the only leverage he still has to give Gard a reasonable shot at the job.  In the end, I'm convinced Alverez turns elsewhere.  And after Smart and Bennett say no quickly he courts and lands Miller.

Or let me crazy speculate for a moment.  Archie also says no and Barry turns to Jeter with Gard getting the UWM head gig out of the deal.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 12:48:40 PM »
Have some patience, FFS.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 12:49:55 PM »
And when they get their 5th choice, or worse, keep Gard, the wailing and gnashing of teeth and rending of garments as karma comes home to roost will be wildly entertaining.   My bet?   Archie Miller.

Doubt Archie would jump. He's been successful enough at Dayton that he can hold out for a very good job. Plus, his brother is Sean Miller so that only helps his case.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 01:17:49 PM »
Doubt Archie would jump. He's been successful enough at Dayton that he can hold out for a very good job. Plus, his brother is Sean Miller so that only helps his case.

Wisconsin is a very good job.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 05:55:31 PM »
Agreed. You jump for that job. 14 straight NCAA appearances, three final fours and an NC appearance since 2000. That program's brand has never been better (especially considering the last two years). 

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2015, 06:03:28 PM »
Much respect for Bo.  He's done a lot for basketball in Wisconsin.  Not as much as Dick Bennett, but still, a helluva coach.

Now don't let the door hit ya in the arse on the way out!
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2015, 06:15:21 PM »
Agreed. You jump for that job. 14 straight NCAA appearances, three final fours and an NC appearance since 2000. That program's brand has never been better (especially considering the last two years).
I'm not arguing UW isn't a good job.  But if you are Archie Miller, you know either (both?) tOSU or IU is going to open up, and your name is going to be towards the top of the list, don't you hold out a year?  One legit blue blood and one very high profile top tier job. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2015, 06:32:17 PM »
Also, from reports out of Florida last year, Archie will cost $3M plus the buyout. Will Barry pay a new basketball coach more than Chryst? Ultimately, I see this going to someone like Ben Jacobson.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2015, 06:32:40 PM »

Wisconsin is a good job. Good program in a good conference. Don't know that I'd call it a very good job (top 15 or 20) but it's definitely up there. I think Archie Miller is achieving enough at Dayton that he could hold out.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2015, 07:05:46 PM »
I'm not arguing UW isn't a good job.  But if you are Archie Miller, you know either (both?) tOSU or IU is going to open up, and your name is going to be towards the top of the list, don't you hold out a year?  One legit blue blood and one very high profile top tier job.

Bruh Thad Matta is 46, so not retirement age. He has a .761 win percentage with OSU, a runner up and a final four, along with a few other deep runs. He's won the B1G 5 times. He's not going anywhere and I'm curious what your reasoning is that he'd be gone soon. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2015, 07:48:12 PM »
Bruh Thad Matta is 46, so not retirement age. He has a .761 win percentage with OSU, a runner up and a final four, along with a few other deep runs. He's won the B1G 5 times. He's not going anywhere and I'm curious what your reasoning is that he'd be gone soon.
First things first.....I would've bet my youngest that Thad was older than me.  That also means i'm too old to be referred to as 'Bruh' (and you're too old to use it too but then again, aren't we all?).

Most of it is blind internet buy in (guilty) add in this years performance (funny they are playing UNI right now) and a friend who knows one of his bench and i made a leap. 

Your logic ('Bruh' aside) is better than mine.  But IU?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2015, 08:52:33 PM »
First things first.....I would've bet my youngest that Thad was older than me.  That also means i'm too old to be referred to as 'Bruh' (and you're too old to use it too but then again, aren't we all?).

Most of it is blind internet buy in (guilty) add in this years performance (funny they are playing UNI right now) and a friend who knows one of his bench and i made a leap. 

Your logic ('Bruh' aside) is better than mine.  But IU?

haha I just really desired to call someone 'bruh' I don't know why but you were unfortunate recipient. Thanks for the humorous response.   

I was actually watching that game, Dad's an alum and figured it was high time I watch his school with him after all the MU games he's watched. Bummer they fell apart toward the end there. 

I would certainly agree with IU as a soon to open opportunity though I wouldn't wanna go there unless I was unbelievably positive I could live up to those expectations and control a team. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2015, 11:20:57 PM »

I've gotta disagree with you guys.  Wisconsin was a good job only because of Bo.  It was Bo 's system that made that program special.  Is anyone old enough to remember Wisconsin before Bo and the elder Bennett?  Who's gonna win with the kind of talent that those two brought in?  No other coach makes Frank Kaminsky  POY.  Tony Bennett could do it with Bo type players, but he ain't coming.  Gard is Wisconsin's best chance to carry on in the same vein.  If they (Alverez) decide to go in a different direction and recruit nationally against the big boys, Wisconsin drifts to the bottom third of the BiG.  Please don't use Dekkker as an example.  He was a Wisconsin kid who grew up wanting to be a part of the program he watched growing up.  No burger boy from outside Wisconsin would give Wisconsin a look.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 12:12:53 AM by Crean to Ann Arbor »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2015, 11:45:58 PM »

I've gotta disagree with you guys.  Wisconsin was a good job only because of Bo.  It was Bo 's system that made that program special.  Is anyone old enough to remember Wisconsin before Bo and the elder Bennett?  Who's gonna win with the kind of talent that those two brought in?  No other coach makes Frank Kaminsky  POY.  Bennett could do it with Bo type players, but he ain't coming.  Gard is Wisconsin's best chance to carry on in the same vein.  If they (Alverez) decide to go in a different direction and recruit nationally against the big boys, Wisconsin drifts to the bottom third of the BiG.  Please don't use Dekkker as an example.  He was a Wisconsin kid who grew up wanting to be a part of the program he watched growing up.  No burger boy from outside Wisconsin would give Wisconsin a look.

I don't know about bottom third. But you gotta give the Wisconsin recruiting edge to Wojo at the moment.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2015, 12:16:22 AM »
I don't know about bottom third. But you gotta give the Wisconsin recruiting edge to Wojo at the moment.

So where are they gonna get their players from?  After Bo will they be able to troll the second tier of players in the Midwest and find guys they can make All Big Ten?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2015, 12:40:03 AM »

Yea, but they pay peanuts

Death on call

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2015, 05:46:08 PM »
I've gotta disagree with you guys.  Wisconsin was a good job only because of Bo.  It was Bo 's system that made that program special.  Is anyone old enough to remember Wisconsin before Bo and the elder Bennett?  Who's gonna win with the kind of talent that those two brought in?  No other coach makes Frank Kaminsky  POY.  Tony Bennett could do it with Bo type players, but he ain't coming.  Gard is Wisconsin's best chance to carry on in the same vein.  If they (Alverez) decide to go in a different direction and recruit nationally against the big boys, Wisconsin drifts to the bottom third of the BiG.  Please don't use Dekkker as an example.  He was a Wisconsin kid who grew up wanting to be a part of the program he watched growing up.  No burger boy from outside Wisconsin would give Wisconsin a look.

I disagree. I don't think any other coach will have the kind of success Bo had the way he did, but whomever replaces Gard in April will have a great brand to sell. However Bo did it, he made UWM a very recognizable name that is a fixture in March. They may not have a huge NBA pedigree, but they do have recency in that regard, which will help the new coach.

At the end of the day, it will all come down to who gets the job. If he can sell what he's going to do and sell Madison, he'll be able to recruit and succeed. Schools like Syracuse, Michigan State, Iowa State, and Purdue have been able to have varying levels of success and it really all comes down to the coach. If you get someone who can recruit and put in a system that suits the recruits he gets, they'll be fine.

I don't think you'll ever see another coach like Bo, simply because kids don't want to sit 2-3 years before making a contribution. He really did have a gift for getting kids into his system that not only suited their roles but were willing to wait until they were ready to contribute. That's a dying breed.

The idea is that they won't get an Izzo, or Boeheim, or Hoiberg, but who were those guys before they got to those places? If they make a good hire, they can succeed. If they make a bad hire, they'll probably fire him in 3-4 years and take another stab at it. Just because UWM is in Madison won't prohibit success. I don't think they'll become a blue blood, but they can sustain being a top-20 program.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2015, 05:48:30 PM »
UWM

UWM
 UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM
 UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2015, 06:00:23 PM »
UWM
 UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM
 UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM  UWM

Figure if I type "UW" it could easily be confused with Platteville, Whitewater, or Waukesha. Gotta differentiate UW-Madison from the rest of the system somehow ;)

feedback