[Today at 08:14:24 PM]

Incoming freshmen by tower912
[Today at 08:06:40 PM]

Ranking Big East Centers by The Equalizer
[Today at 05:10:01 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Hards Alumni
[Today at 05:06:39 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Fukudome a Cub  (Read 14646 times)

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Fukudome a Cub
« on: December 11, 2007, 09:57:02 PM »
Wonder what opposing fans will yell.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007
Japanese star Fukudome coming to Chicago to play for Cubs

The agent for Kosuke Fukudome said that the player would make up his mind on a major league team quickly after deciding to come to the United States. He was true to his word.
After deciding to play in the U.S. early Tuesday morning, Fukudome chose the Cubs' offer on Tuesday night, ESPN 1000 in Chicago reported.

The two sides have reportedly agreed on a four-year deal, but the exact dollar amount was still being worked out. Earlier media reports said that the Cubs were willing to pay the career .305 hitter between $12 million and $14 million per season.

The San Diego Padres, Chicago White Sox, San Francisco Giants and Texas Rangers were also rumored to have interest in Fukudome, who will likely play right field in Wrigley Field.
"I think we're all in the same boat," Cubs general manager Jim Hendry said earlier Tuesday, according to the Chicago Sun-Times. "We're hopeful that the player chooses our place."
After hitting .351 with 31 homers and 104 RBIs in 2006, Fukudome won the Most Valuable Player award in the Japanese Central League. His 2007 season was limited to 81 games due to an injury that required elbow surgery.

🏀

• All American
Re: Fukudome a Cub
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 10:03:34 PM »
Amazing, can't wait to get a jersey

Eye

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 11:53:51 PM »
Fills a big hole; the Cubs had pretty much gone all-in on getting him.

Soriano LF
Theriot SS
Lee 1B
Ramirez 3B
Fukudome RF
DeRosa 2B
Soto C
Pie CF

One more bat and the Cubs should be pretty good on offense

Zambrano
Lilly
Hill
Marshall
Marquis/Dempster/Prior

One more arm or a healthy Prior and the Cubs should be pretty good in the rotation

Wood
Marmol
Howry
Eyre
Wuertz
Gallagher
Hart

One more lefty and the Cubs should have a pretty good bullpen.

The Cubs are close to being pretty good.
GO WARRIORS!

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 08:28:36 AM »
Pinella said it could take him a year to adjust as it does for most Japanese transfers so I would bat him at the two spot so he could see some good pitches with Lee and Ramirez behind him.

Actually even without the adjustment I'd bat him two. 

I wish Soriano would drop though to bat Theriot leadoff where he excels.  Only problem is Soriano can't hit out of the one spot!

Also, some writers on Chicago sports radio seem to think Pinella will play him in center as Wrigley's power alleys are about the same distance as the lines in Japan.  Much smaller outfield here.  That being said.

Soriano LF
Fukudome CF
Lee 1B
Ramirez 3B
Soto C
DeRosa RF
Theriot SS
Fontenot 2B

Look for Marshall to be thrown in a deal somewhere.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 09:17:31 AM »
Roberts 2B
Fukudome CF
Lee 1B
Ramirez 3B
Soriano LF
DeRosa RF
Soto C
Theriot SS

Z
Lilly
Bedard
Hill
Marquis/Demp/Prior/Gallagher

Marshall + Murton + Veal + another get moved to MacPhail for Bedard and Roberts. I'll almost guarantee it after Lou said Fuk will play CF.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 10:47:28 AM »
I would love for Soriano to bat behind Ramirez but when he bats out of the leadoff spot his numbers are crap.  When Ryan Theriot bats in the leadoff spot he is amazing so he would be my pick for leadoff.  Sadly, you can't have two leadoff men!

Brian Roberts is one hell of a two bagger but, my only problem with getting him is we have too many middle infielders as it is.  Hopefully they would take Cedeno, Marhsall, and Veal for Bedard and Roberts.  I'd like to keep Murton as a bench player. 

Assuming we do get Roberts I agree with your lineup MarqPTM but I just don't see Soriano out of that one spot.

A 1-4 of Zambrano, Lilly, Bedard, Hill is simply sexy.

Prior needs to be resigned by 11:00 P.M. tonight or he becomes a free agent.  Throw Marquis in that 5 spot.  Lou said Dempster in the rotation isn't a lock but it will be given a trial in spring training.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 11:22:51 AM »
Soriano gets paid enough to hit where ever we need him to hit.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 01:00:30 PM »
Oh I understand that.  Lou can hit him 8 if he wants.

It's just that when he doesn't bat in the leadoff spot he sucks.  I don't think he had a single hit when he wasn't batting leadoff last year.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 01:04:47 PM »
He was coming off the injury as well. If we get Roberts, there's no chance he's hitting lead off. Put him back there in Spring, and he'll get used to it like Crest Whitestrips.

The O's might be looking at Cedeno for trade with Roberts now that Tejada is gone. Everyone knows of MacPhail's love fest with Ronny.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 01:16:37 PM »
It would be hard to justify not batting Roberts leadoff. 

Soriano just needs a quality hitter behind him I think so he sees some good pitches.  That could be why he failed in the 5 spot.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 01:21:19 PM »
You could drop Lee to fifth, but he gets on base too much.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007, 01:28:35 PM »
It would be hard to justify not batting Roberts leadoff. 

Soriano just needs a quality hitter behind him I think so he sees some good pitches.  That could be why he failed in the 5 spot.

I've always thought Soriano is an ideal 2nd spot hitter....assuming he has a high OBP guy hitting in front of him and a guy like Lee behind him...he's bound to do some damage.  Imagine if he had a guy on first for the leadoff home runs last year...even 50% of the time...he'd have another 6-12 RBI...and the Cubs could be up 2-0 rather than 1-0...in theory of course.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 01:55:24 PM »
You gotta love Cubs fans.  First off, there is no way Baltimore is giving up both Roberts and Bedard for the junk you guys have stated about trading.  Some reports have stated Baltimore is asking for nearly as much as Minnesota wants for Johan.  Roberts is a pretty good player, but he is not a huge upgrade over DeRosa at second (unless you want to move DeRosa to the of if you don't think PIE is ready).

Fukodome should be pretty good.  I would bat him in the 2 hole behind Theriot and ahead of Soriano, Ramirez, Lee.

I sure hope the guy who mentioned Prior is joking, he likely will not even be tendered.

I think the Cubs will prolly have around 85 wins again, good enough to finish about 5 games behind the Brewers. :)

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 02:03:05 PM »
I sure hope the guy who mentioned Prior is joking, he likely will not even be tendered.

I straight up said if the Cubs don't by 11:00 P.M. tonight (which they won't) he will be a free agent.

I agree though I think it would be tough to get the Orioles to take that trade.  Felix Pie and/or Rich Hill would have to be included.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 02:04:37 PM by TallTitan34 »

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 02:05:47 PM »
You gotta love Cubs fans.  First off, there is no way Baltimore is giving up both Roberts and Bedard for the junk you guys have stated about trading.  Some reports have stated Baltimore is asking for nearly as much as Minnesota wants for Johan.  Roberts is a pretty good player, but he is not a huge upgrade over DeRosa at second (unless you want to move DeRosa to the of if you don't think PIE is ready).

Fukodome should be pretty good.  I would bat him in the 2 hole behind Theriot and ahead of Soriano, Ramirez, Lee.

I think the Cubs will prolly have around 85 wins again, good enough to finish about 5 games behind the Brewers. :)

I assume you meant 5 games behind the Brewers at the end of June?  Which still leaves us ample time...e.g. 2007.  :)

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2007, 02:06:16 PM »

I straight up said if the Cubs don't by 11:00 P.M. tonight (which they won't) he will be a free agent.

I agree though I think it would be tough to get the Orioles to take that trade.  Felix Pie and/or Rich Hill would have to be included.

Sorry TT, I was referring to EYE's post of "One more arm or a healthy Prior and the Cubs should be pretty good in the rotation," not yours.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2007, 02:08:03 PM »

I assume you meant 5 games behind the Brewers at the end of June?  Which still leaves us ample time...e.g. 2007.  :)

touché
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 02:09:56 PM by jmayer1 »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2007, 02:25:38 PM »
Reports from ESPN said Marshall + Murton + Veal + another get moved to MacPhail for Bedard and Roberts.

That other player: Hill, Gallagher, or Pie.

DeRosa would likely be moved to OF is Pie still isn't ready.

Should we start a thread about all the Brewers excellent off season moves?

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2007, 02:32:11 PM »
Sorry TT, I was referring to EYE's post of "One more arm or a healthy Prior and the Cubs should be pretty good in the rotation," not yours.

Oops sorry!

I really don't see Pie being ready.  Right now he's stuck in that AAAA level.  Not ready for the majors but dominating in AAA.

I'd hate to give up Hill but replacing him with Bedard would be a solid upgrade.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2007, 03:33:33 PM »
A little off the original topic, but rumor is that Rowand's deal with the Giants is "close" to Torii Hunter's. Hunter got 5 years, $90 mil. If this is true, and Rowand got something similar, that is insanity.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2007, 03:40:48 PM »
On Chicago's sportsradio station WSCR 670 (comes in Milwaukee too!) White Sox fans are going crazy about missing out on Miguel Cabrara, Tori Hunter, Koskue Fukudome, Andruw Jones, and now Aaron Rowand.

5 years / 60 million for Rowand.  White Sox should have put out to save face and get the hometown hero.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2007, 03:55:39 PM »
As a White Sox fan, I don't mind them missing out on Fukudome, Jones, Rowand, Hunter. The White Sox aren't going anywhere this year and overpaying for a Jones/Rowand/Hunter didn't make any sense to me. They're currently a mess of a roster, with older players still with something left, but not enough young talent to complement it. The Sox will spend money, but not Red Sox/Cubs/Yankees money. In the AL, their current roster make up can't compete with the Angels, Red Sox, Yankees, Tigers and Indians. Signing Rowand, Hunter, Jones to a long term deal wouldn't solve the Sox problems. The only thing that upsets me as a Sox fan is the Linebrink signing. It pains me to say it, but 2008 (and most likely 2009) will be lost years for the Sox. As a fan of the team, I'd have to say the best route to save them longterm is to start the fire sale come July, and see Crede, AJ, Thome (he'd have to agree to it), Konerko, Dye in different uniforms. Their lack of young talent is what is really hurting them, both in house and in the trade market.

I think Fukudome will be a nice player for the Cubs.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2007, 04:09:50 PM »
I agree Dish.  Instead of re-signing everyone as Kenny Williams did he should have tried trading them for some younger talent.  I thought it would make sense though bringing Rowand back.  He was one of the most popular players for them during his time in Chicago and it might increase some interest in the team.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2007, 04:45:04 PM »
I just wish that Harry was still around to try to pronounce Fukudome's name during the second game of a double header.     
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2007, 04:51:02 PM »
Harry might be gone but Santo is still around.  He'll have fun with the name