Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Who haven't we played?  (Read 8272 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Who haven't we played?
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2015, 09:49:16 AM »
I think we will play Bradley sooner rather than later now that Brian Wardle is their coach.

I'm not so sure about that. Unlikely Bradley would go for a straight buy game (the MVC frowns on those) and MU isn't looking for two or three for one deals right now. Further, if we did schedule a three or four game series with them and ended up losing 2/3 or 2/4, it'd start the "should we have hired Wardle" discussion, which no one wants. My guess is the odds of us playing Bradley actually went down when Wardle was hired there, not up.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2015, 09:54:12 AM »
Further, if we did schedule a three or four game series with them and ended up losing 2/3 or 2/4, it'd start the "should we have hired Wardle" discussion, which no one wants.

Is this really something that would happen?  Four years from now?  If that conversation is happening then it is not likely because we played and lost to Bradley -- its because the team still stinks despite Wojo being around for 6 years.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2015, 09:59:56 AM »
Is this really something that would happen?  Four years from now?  If that conversation is happening then it is not likely because we played and lost to Bradley -- its because the team still stinks despite Wojo being around for 6 years.

It'd be on multiple levels, I'm sure. You're right, it would likely indicate we didn't improve enough under Wojo, but it would also likely indicate Wardle did a great job. If he wins at Bradley, he'll be a high-major candidate. But regardless, MU only wants to give up a road game if they get a high-major game in return. The Missouri Valley doesn't like their teams to play straight buy games, so I would be very surprised if this happened.

That said, if we did play Bradley and Wardle took 2/3 over the next 4 years, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Wojo was on the hot seat (can't imagine we'd have a great program were that the case) and Wardle was the top name to replace him.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2015, 11:47:12 AM »
Assume you meant someone other than OSU. We just finished a home and home with them

He said OSU, not "t" OSU.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 11:50:13 AM by Crean to Ann Arbor »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2015, 11:51:51 AM »
We're 1-4 against North Carolina.  Gee, what was that one win again?

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2015, 12:25:05 PM »
Kinda surprised to see so many hoops programs with long (and good) histories, like St. Joe's, Maryland and Oklahoma on the list.

For me, Saint Joseph's, Fairfield and Seattle (to a lesser degree as they have been in and out of D1 over the years) are a bit of a surpise.  You would have thought with only around 20 Jesuit schools playing D1, we would have gotten around to playing all of them by now.  I know a lot of Fairfield alum (including two siblings) and go to their games a handful of times each season.  They were good when Cooley was coaching them but no so much in the 10+ years before or since.  They'd be a better game than many of our cupcakes and I would think they would be amenable to being a buy game.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2015, 12:40:34 PM »
For me, Saint Joseph's, Fairfield and Seattle (to a lesser degree as they have been in and out of D1 over the years) are a bit of a surpise.  You would have thought with only around 20 Jesuit schools playing D1, we would have gotten around to playing all of them by now.  I know a lot of Fairfield alum (including two siblings) and go to their games a handful of times each season.  They were good when Cooley was coaching them but no so much in the 10+ years before or since.  They'd be a better game than many of our cupcakes and I would think they would be amenable to being a buy game.

Of course, for geographically selfish reasons, we wouldn't mind an MU road game in Harbor Yard.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2015, 02:50:42 PM »
I remember O Lee from Deland, FL. He is Doc Gooden's nephew. What I was pointing out is that Marquette has him listed as Lee Oliver. That is damned inexcusable. O Lee was one of the highest ranked prepsters when he signed with MU.

He and Sam Worthen were herbsmen of no small repute.
Was O lee the kid we "stashed" at St Johns Military Prep in Delafield with an MU alum paving the way with a questionable "guardianship"?
If not him was it a kid named Mills? I recall the controversy but not the kids name. Help an old man regain some lost memory. lol
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2015, 02:55:40 PM »
Was O lee the kid we "stashed" at St Johns Military Prep in Delafield with an MU alum paving the way with a questionable "guardianship"?
If not him was it a kid named Mills? I recall the controversy but not the kids name. Help an old man regain some lost memory. lol

Dwayne Johnson?

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2015, 03:48:52 PM »
I was actually surprised we hadn't played some of the "buy" teams more than we have.  I would have assumed that we played Savannah St every other year, so when I read that we hadn't played them since 2012 and only 4 times total, I was shocked.  Same could be said for Coppin St. (not since 2007).

I apparently have a very poor memory for bad basketball teams.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2015, 03:52:00 PM »
I was actually surprised we hadn't played some of the "buy" teams more than we have.  I would have assumed that we played Savannah St every other year, so when I read that we hadn't played them since 2012 and only 4 times total, I was shocked.  Same could be said for Coppin St. (not since 2007).

I apparently have a very poor memory for bad basketball teams.

There was a stretch where it seemed like we played every 'state' that didn't actually correlate to a US state.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2015, 04:08:49 PM »

Not Oliver Lee, Silas Mills?  Mills had eligibility problems and ended up at Utah as a prop 48 before getting dismissed by Majerus before his sophomore year.  Don't know if he attended St. Johns (to gain eligibility?), though.   Dwayne Johnson was dismissed from St john for failure to comply with the military atmosphere of the school during his junior year.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 04:48:06 PM by Crean to Ann Arbor »

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2015, 04:21:02 PM »

Loyola MD as well. And I believe you nailed it with 20 DI Jesuit schools out of 28 total. According to the wiki, we have a winning record against all that we've played except Gonzaga and Georgetown. Let's fix that, too.

Boston College (2-1)
Canisius (4-1)
Holy Cross (4-0)
Creighton (49-31)
Detroit Mercy (61-27)
Fairfield (0-0)
Fordham (11-1)
Georgetown (9-10)
Gonzaga (1-2)
Loyola Marymount (2-1)
Loyola Chicago (46-35)
Loyola Maryland (0-0)
Marquette
Saint Joseph's (0-0)
Saint Louis (31-23)
St. Peter's NJ (1-0)
Santa Clara (2-1)
Seattle (0-0)
San Francisco (3-1)
Xavier (46-20)

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2015, 04:44:41 PM »

Dwayne Johnson definitely came out of St John's, and all reports had him a certain MU recruit.  While there may have been questions raised at the time, during that time I was more concerned about girls and last call at the Lanche than any questions on recruiting.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2015, 07:14:33 PM »
There was another player at St, John's at the same time. I think he ended up at San Diego St. or some western school like that. I think both players were from New York and top 30 players.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2015, 08:12:12 PM »
I remember playing somebody nicknamed the Blue Hose a few years back.  That was weak.  Thought that the Maine Black Bears had a great name.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2015, 08:23:37 PM »
I remember playing somebody nicknamed the Blue Hose a few years back.  That was weak.  Thought that the Maine Black Bears had a great name.

Presbyterian. We play them again in a couple of weeks.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2015, 10:45:51 PM »

Since you bring this up we really do need to ditch the Golden Eagle name. It is as bland as white bread and has no relevance whatsoever with Marquette.

Taking a cue from Maine we should honor the fauna of Wisconsin. I recall that Lake Michigan was known for coho, lamprey eels, and alewives. Both the lampreys and alewives became synonymous with Lake Michigan and either would make a great mascot. Like the Jesuits they were non-native to Wisconsin but arrived by water from the Atlantic. Both came to dominate their new home in ways both unexpected and terrifying.

glow, you stand in well with Marquette's power elite. Could you possibly advance these thoughts with Mike the next time you guys grab a combat beer together?

Death on call

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2015, 10:53:59 PM »
How many schools are added yearly to d-1? Seems like this list will get bigger before it gets smaller unless we have lots of random tournament success to play teams from other conferences more.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2015, 06:36:56 AM »
How many schools are added yearly to d-1? Seems like this list will get bigger before it gets smaller unless we have lots of random tournament success to play teams from other conferences more.

There's no set number, but it usually doesn't change by more than a few teams annually. Here are the totals the past decade:

2015-16: 351
2014-15: 351
2013-14: 351
2012-13: 347
2011-12: 345
2010-11: 345
2009-10: 347
2008-09: 344
2007-08: 341
2006-07: 336

There was a big jump in the years from 2003-04 through 2009-10 when it went from 326 to 347 in the span of 7 years. But since then, only a small fluctuation (both down and up) in the past 7 years. To really narrow the list, though, it would probably take a concerted effort on Marquette's part, especially when it comes to cupcake scheduling. Not sure that the "we played everyone" merit badge is on the to-do list ;)

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2015, 07:02:58 AM »
There was another player at St, John's at the same time. I think he ended up at San Diego St. or some western school like that. I think both players were from New York and top 30 players.
Thanks for the responsive posts, everyone. Of them...This is closest to my memory also. Seems it was odd how 1-2 NY kids had the parent(s) conceding to a guardianship by an MU alum, and the kid traveling to small St Johns Military, with tuition paid for, etc. It led to a rumor/perception we were stashing MU recruits at St Johns. This story is decades old ( I think during Majerus years)...but I have always found it intriguing.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 07:15:36 AM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2015, 07:16:17 AM »

glow, you stand in well with Marquette's power elite. Could you possibly advance these thoughts with Mike the next time you guys grab a combat beer together?

LOL I am not sure where you got that impression.
Have some patience, FFS.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2015, 12:46:17 PM »
Since you bring this up we really do need to ditch the Golden Eagle name. It is as bland as white bread and has no relevance whatsoever with Marquette.

Taking a cue from Maine we should honor the fauna of Wisconsin. I recall that Lake Michigan was known for coho, lamprey eels, and alewives. Both the lampreys and alewives became synonymous with Lake Michigan and either would make a great mascot. Like the Jesuits they were non-native to Wisconsin but arrived by water from the Atlantic. Both came to dominate their new home in ways both unexpected and terrifying.

Wait a minute....    did you just call the Jesuits an invasive species?

feedback