Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Grambling thoughts  (Read 23311 times)

79Warrior

• All American
Re: Grambling thoughts
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2015, 12:03:33 AM »
Main thought, don't know how I stayed until the end. Grambling is just terrible. Will be tough finding the motivation for teams like Maine, Chicago State, Presbyterian, and Stetson. I'd like to take positives away, but all I can think is until Seton Hall gets here, these home games are all terrible and meaningless.

I hope, I really hope, these games help this team learn to win big time. Because if we miss the Dance with 10-11 Big East winds and Henry goes, this will be a huge waste of a massive talent. Grambling may be the worst of the worst, but these types of games are mind numbing, soul sucking, attendance destroying, RPI killing plummets to Hell.

Totally agree. Bradley Center looked empty on TV. Horrible opponent.

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2015, 12:18:07 AM »
Totally agree. Bradley Center looked empty on TV. Horrible opponent.

would the BC have been full if we had played RPI #248?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2015, 12:30:08 AM »
I agree with your analysis. I understand the need for cupcakes, however I have consistently believed we can get bottom tier Mid American, Horizon , Missouri Valley,Summit League teams etc. We are spending a fortune on basketball and might as well pay up and get a better grade cupcake. I think  we need a completely different approach. Why not play teams like Loyola Chicago. UWM, Northern Illinois, Detroit etc.

Those teams want a return game, that's the reason.  Budget requires certain amount of home games, but if you line up teams that demand a return game, then there aren't enough home games to play to bring in the money for the revenue needs of the budget. 

There are only so many DI schools that are part of the BUY circuit, and they aren't typically found in the MAC, Horizon and definitely not in the Mo Valley.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2015, 03:56:52 AM »
Those teams want a return game, that's the reason.  Budget requires certain amount of home games, but if you line up teams that demand a return game, then there aren't enough home games to play to bring in the money for the revenue needs of the budget. 

There are only so many DI schools that are part of the BUY circuit, and they aren't typically found in the MAC, Horizon and definitely not in the Mo Valley.

Maybe we'll get great pairings in the Gavitt games every year and that will help. Or we join another 'challenge' with a strong conference. I4 got to play Duke last night because of the ACC/Big Ten challenge last night, a'inal?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2015, 06:29:37 AM »
Despite the opponent, MU shared the ball within the flow of the offense as well as I have seen under Wojo, which created space and set guys up to hit shots in position to be successful.  Also, the help defense is much improved. That said, GSU bad.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2015, 07:06:02 AM »
Don't by the tickets... Your r an idiot!

Hard to take insults seriously with that level of grammar, but ticket purchases were made before the non-con schedule was announced. In order to get decent seats, you have to make the decision prior to knowing who they will play.

You are nitpicking the difference between a 250 RPI team and a 350 RPI. Sorry it ruined your night but most fans don't know the difference. Must have been tough spending two hours watching your alma mater play basketball. You are a true martyr.

Most fans may not, but I'm willing to wager quite a few more that are willing to spend on tickets do. Last night had to be one of the worst attended games in the past 5 years.

Fair points. Does the budget demand 19 home dates? If so, we must be hurting because this year is the most we've had since I've been a STH.

Let's be honest, by any measure this is a terrible schedule and we can't pretend that it's impossible to do better because no one else in the Big East has this poor a schedule and we've had better schedules in the past. We are not a victim of restricted dates or any other nonsense, this is a deliberate choice.

Grambling is the worst team in college basketball. No way around that. Maine, Presbyterian, and Stetson have all been at the bottom of bad leagues. There's some hope Jackson State will do something this year, but as a rule I'd like to never see SWAC teams.

If you're going to bring in bad teams, I at least applaud the choices of San Jose State (Mountain West team) and Chicago State (fairly local). Bad teams in good leagues or bad teams that generate some nearby interest at least have some merit. I'd much rather see teams that are competing for the top end of the their mediocre conference, but in lieu of that, I can understand those two.

The idea we've heard is that the goal is to teach these guys how to win. If we actually challenged them with two or three cupcakes that weren't completely terrible, or started one more home-and-home (even on the road), or got involved with some of the two-for-one and three-for-one deals it might take to get a Horizon or MVC team in here, would that be the worst thing?

My sincere hope is that this schedule is a one-off. Of course, it really hasn't helped that the athletic department won't return calls on the matter. I've called three times and no one will return a call. The combination of terrible scheduling and terrible customer service from an alma mater I donate to annually is definitely getting on my nerves.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2015, 07:06:30 AM »
At some point, Luke and Henry will be in foul trouble early against a good team.   Heldt will have to play.    At some point, a good team is going to be playing 4 guards against us (Butler, 'nova) and we will need Sacar.   And to assume no injuries is a stretch.

Heldt does not appear to be anywhere near ready to play at this level.  We'd be better off going small if injuries or foul trouble cause HE or Fischer to sit for extended minutes, regardless of opponent.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2015, 07:08:48 AM »
Chick and I went to the game not to worry about the opponent but to see the continuing development of our young team.  The ball moved crisply on offense and the shots fell.  We were entertained and made it back to suburban Chicago before 11.

On Saturday against Maine, my guess is there will be lots of young kids in attendance.  Well you know what?  When I was 7-8 years old I wasn't particularly interested in the opponent.  I just wanted a chance to see Thompson and Meminger play.  So my dad would get Irv Stauber's tickets and we'd go.  Brew, I hope that you can find a situation like that and support a young Warrior if you choose to skip a few.

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2015, 07:09:47 AM »
You are nitpicking the difference between a 250
RPI team and a 350 RPI. Sorry it ruined your night but most fans don't know the difference. Must have been tough spending two hours watching your alma mater play basketball. You are a true martyr.

Exactly- bitch bitch bitch - go find something else to bitch about

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2015, 07:30:11 AM »
Heldt does not appear to be anywhere near ready to play at this level.  We'd be better off going small if injuries or foul trouble cause HE or Fischer to sit for extended minutes, regardless of opponent.

While Matt doesn't appear overly ready, I think Wojo believes that he has to balance preparing his 8 man rotation while at the same time he continues to coach up all his players.  We'll see Matt and Sacar get limited 'Frosh' minutes this year but against the cupcakes they'll both play.  His comments last night applauded their attitude and suggested that their objectives for the season are somewhat different than guys like Henry, Haanif and Traci.  I don't sense frustration in either young man.  Perhaps this speaks more to an 'honest' recruiting process than might have been in the case in the past.

Wojo's here to win.  He played hard ball with Dawson last year once he determined that he'd rather have the scholly back.  We can differ on whether that was the correct approach.  But he'll support both Matt and Sacar honorably giving each what they earn.  We'll see where that leads over the next year or so.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2015, 07:35:30 AM »
While Matt doesn't appear overly ready, I think Wojo believes that he has to balance preparing his 8 man rotation while at the same time he continues to coach up all his players.  We'll see Matt and Sacar get limited 'Frosh' minutes this year but against the cupcakes they'll both play...

I agree that he should play as much as Wojo wants against the non-con teams.  By regardless of opponent, I should have been clearer, as I meant UW and Big East opponents whether or not those opponents have size. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2015, 08:07:29 AM »
I agree that he should play as much as Wojo wants against the non-con teams.  By regardless of opponent, I should have been clearer, as I meant UW and Big East opponents whether or not those opponents have size.

Yep.  I get your point.  I'm expecting both Sacar and Matt to be DNP-CD in hotly contested BE games.  It's a balancing act because even now I want the 8 man rotation honing their skills.  Every rep now gives us a better chance come January and February. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2015, 08:12:52 AM »
Exactly- bitch bitch bitch - go find something else to bitch about

What are you talking about?  Don't you know there are several guys here on Scoop who can coach and recruit better than Wojo, run the athletic department better than Bill Scholl, and make better major university decisions  than Mike Lovell?  Those guys are fortunate that these Scooper "experts" are generous enough to let them keep their jobs.  If they stepped up and offered to do it instead,  Wojo, Scholl and Lovell would be forced to take boring jobs in Corporate America.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 08:14:23 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2015, 08:34:25 AM »
I'm expecting both Sacar and Matt to be DNP-CD in hotly contested BE games.  It's a balancing act because even now I want the 8 man rotation honing their skills.  Every rep now gives us a better chance come January and February.

I expect some improvement as the semester ends and the cap on practice time is eased. You never know when things will start to click for freshmen. For Haani, Henry, and Traci, it happened a little sooner.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2015, 08:36:10 AM »
It is important to Play Heldt and Sacar, because if they do not get some time they are likely to transfer. I left the game thinking we are getting experience by playing horrible teams, while Wisconsin, who is almost as young as us, is getting real experience playing at Oklahoma and Syracuse. The MU/UW game is not going to end well for us.

slingkong

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2015, 08:44:51 AM »
I may not be a huge spender, but I spend a decent chunk on season tickets. Yes, we played well, but we played well against a team that would struggle against Little Sisters of the Poor, and it's one of about 6 such games we'll play in the next few weeks.

Is it a terrible attitude to want some actual value for my entertainment dollar? Is it a terrible attitude to want to offer some actual decent games when I call friends and family to see if they want to go to a game?

RPI, resume, all that aside, these are terrible opponents. It's hard to find people that want to go to these types of games, and it's harder to sell the tickets and come close to recouping your money. The BC was maybe at best 25% full tonight. Fans don't want to go to these games. I'm fine with having 2-3 of these games per season. You have to get some easy wins. But playing 7 straight of roughly this caliber at home with another coming in late January? That's just brutal.

Maybe it's yours, maybe it's not, but one frequently used way to dismiss criticism is to say, "The people that get paid to make these decisions know better than you." It applies as much here as it does to evaluations of players.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2015, 08:50:58 AM »
It is important to Play Heldt and Sacar, because if they do not get some time they are likely to transfer. I left the game thinking we are getting experience by playing horrible teams, while Wisconsin, who is almost as young as us, is getting real experience playing at Oklahoma and Syracuse. The MU/UW game is not going to end well for us.

Just because we've seen transfers in the past few years, I don't agree with your assumption that Heldt and Sacar will transfer if they don't get playing time. These are Wojo's guys, and as long as he is clear about their roles now and about his plans for the future, I think they'll buy in. They will be an important part of an experienced, exciting team in another year or so.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2015, 09:18:49 AM »
NM

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2015, 09:24:54 AM »
would the BC have been full if we had played RPI #248?

nope, but maybe a few more seats would be occupied rather than playing in front of a few thousand people.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2015, 09:26:30 AM »

So what you're saying is that we should only play top 15 teams and we should make sure all (however many scholarship players we have) players get playing time so as to make everyone happy?

Banners for each player to hang in their dorm rooms, too, hey?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2015, 09:33:52 AM »

If players want to play more then they should get better. If not, they're welcome to leave.

(For the record, this is NOT at all directed at Heldt or Anim, specifically. Just speaking in general terms)

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2015, 09:42:11 AM »
Maybe it's yours, maybe it's not, but one frequently used way to dismiss criticism is to say, "The people that get paid to make these decisions know better than you." It applies as much here as it does to evaluations of players.

Definitely not mine. I'm a paying customer and am disappointed that I was given a poor product. I'm disappointed not only in the product but in the athletic department's continued refusal to return calls on the subject. If you buy a product, are disappointed when it is delivered, and the company that sold said product won't address your disappointment, I think that's a valid time to have a complaint.

And chick, I know you're being tongue in cheek, but I'm not calling for the heads of Broeker, Scholl, or Wojo, I'd just like it if they would address the poor scheduling. In the past, when I voiced concerns about numerous issues, I have received prompt replies and even had people at Marquette reach out to me about concerns that I voiced on boards like this. I don't think it's too much to ask that someone over there return a phone call rather than ignoring a loyal, paying customer and alum.

Maybe I will donate some tickets, but usually when I make a donation, it's normally with a check. When I buy season tickets, it's to use them myself. If we have 2-3 games like this, that's one thing and I fully understand, but looking at the schedule and seeing 5 more games like last night, especially when no other Big East team has more than 2 total, that's a bit disappointing.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2015, 09:50:03 AM »
And chick, I know you're being tongue in cheek, but I'm not calling for the heads of Broeker, Scholl, or Wojo, I'd just like it if they would address the poor scheduling.

http://painttouches.com/2015/07/23/in-depth-qa-with-mike-broeker-on-scheduling/
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2015, 09:59:14 AM »
http://painttouches.com/2015/07/23/in-depth-qa-with-mike-broeker-on-scheduling/

I read that at the time and had been in contact with Greska regarding the article and questions before he sat down with Broeker. I left one message prior to the article coming out and two since. None have been returned.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2015, 10:13:48 AM »
I read that at the time and had been in contact with Greska regarding the article and questions before he sat down with Broeker. I left one message prior to the article coming out and two since. None have been returned.

What else would you like them to say that broeker didn't already?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback