Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Grambling thoughts  (Read 23312 times)

tower912

• All American
Grambling thoughts
« on: December 02, 2015, 08:42:51 PM »
1.  It's Grambling, it's Grambling.    All thoughts have to include the context...'but it's against Grambling.'
2.  Everyone had their moments.   Some, more than others. 
3.  Please please please play like this against good teams, JJ.   Please have turned the corner.   Please let this be the new normal.   
4.  Hitting open 3's.   What a concept.
5.  Probably the highlight of the evening is when Haanif came back in the game and looked ok after rolling his ankle. 
6.   It is absolutely imperative to get Anim and Heldt as many minutes as possible in games like this.   Due to fouls and injuries, at some point they are going to have to play when it matters. 
7.  At one point, 26 assists on 28 made baskets.    Basketball nirvana.
8.  Such a cupcake.   I can feel my sugar spiking.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Grambling thoughts
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 08:58:18 PM »
- Yes it's Grambling, but tempo free stats predicted a 28 point win, we won by 46.  That's improvement.
- After seeing everyone get minutes, I have to agree with Wojo's substitution order (Wally, Heldt, Anim).  Sacar will get there (and potentially be very good), but he's behind the other 2 at this point.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 09:00:05 PM »
Somewhat disagree with #6. I don't think anim or heldt will be in the rotation in a few weeks anyway, so I think it's more important to get our rotation guys as many minutes as possible together. The starting lineup is very young and they need all the time they can get.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 09:04:08 PM »
Normally I want to say "of course we drain the 3s when the other team is garbage"

But honestly it was just nice to see us make them.

JJJ, Duane and Sandy have gotten those looks all year. Making them even against grambling can only help.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 09:04:52 PM »
#5.

If HC gets significantly injured there, tonight is a bad, bad night.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 09:06:28 PM »
At some point, Luke and Henry will be in foul trouble early against a good team.   Heldt will have to play.    At some point, a good team is going to be playing 4 guards against us (Butler, 'nova) and we will need Sacar.   And to assume no injuries is a stretch. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 09:09:38 PM »
At some point, Luke and Henry will be in foul trouble early against a good team.   Heldt will have to play.    At some point, a good team is going to be playing 4 guards against us (Butler, 'nova) and we will need Sacar.   And to assume no injuries is a stretch.

Yup and I think sacar can be a real asset. The things he can bring can really help swing a game for a little.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 09:13:47 PM »
Main thought, don't know how I stayed until the end. Grambling is just terrible. Will be tough finding the motivation for teams like Maine, Chicago State, Presbyterian, and Stetson. I'd like to take positives away, but all I can think is until Seton Hall gets here, these home games are all terrible and meaningless.

I hope, I really hope, these games help this team learn to win big time. Because if we miss the Dance with 10-11 Big East winds and Henry goes, this will be a huge waste of a massive talent. Grambling may be the worst of the worst, but these types of games are mind numbing, soul sucking, attendance destroying, RPI killing plummets to Hell.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 09:18:01 PM »
1 nice to see JuJauns shot looking smooth- congrats to him and wojo and staff for changing that thing

2 too bad the depth is so good at Sacars position- he looks too good to get no minutes

3 Duane heating up- don't fall in love though

4 lotta of different options can step up night to night

5 ball movement on offense still impressing

6 defense and TOs still need constant attention

mug644

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 09:36:44 PM »
5 wins, 5 different STOGs. Nice to have numerous weapons and to have different guys step up.

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 09:50:37 PM »
Main thought, don't know how I stayed until the end. Grambling is just terrible. Will be tough finding the motivation for teams like Maine, Chicago State, Presbyterian, and Stetson. I'd like to take positives away, but all I can think is until Seton Hall gets here, these home games are all terrible and meaningless.

I hope, I really hope, these games help this team learn to win big time. Because if we miss the Dance with 10-11 Big East winds and Henry goes, this will be a huge waste of a massive talent. Grambling may be the worst of the worst, but these types of games are mind numbing, soul sucking, attendance destroying, RPI killing plummets to Hell.

What a ridiculous attitude. We played well and seem to be improving. Good enough for me with such a young team.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 09:53:51 PM »
What a ridiculous attitude. We played well and seem to be improving. Good enough for me with such a young team.

Hate to break it to you but these games ain't helping our tournament resume.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 09:59:33 PM »
Hate to break it to you but these games ain't helping our tournament resume.

But if they build confidence so we can compete in the Big East, they did accomplish something. And I can deal with that. We'll know whether a purpose was served in a few months.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 10:10:30 PM »

I may not be a huge spender, but I spend a decent chunk on season tickets. Yes, we played well, but we played well against a team that would struggle against Little Sisters of the Poor, and it's one of about 6 such games we'll play in the next few weeks.

Is it a terrible attitude to want some actual value for my entertainment dollar? Is it a terrible attitude to want to offer some actual decent games when I call friends and family to see if they want to go to a game?

RPI, resume, all that aside, these are terrible opponents. It's hard to find people that want to go to these types of games, and it's harder to sell the tickets and come close to recouping your money. The BC was maybe at best 25% full tonight. Fans don't want to go to these games. I'm fine with having 2-3 of these games per season. You have to get some easy wins. But playing 7 straight of roughly this caliber at home with another coming in late January? That's just brutal.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2015, 10:27:57 PM »
I may not be a huge spender, but I spend a decent chunk on season tickets. Yes, we played well, but we played well against a team that would struggle against Little Sisters of the Poor, and it's one of about 6 such games we'll play in the next few weeks.

Is it a terrible attitude to want some actual value for my entertainment dollar? Is it a terrible attitude to want to offer some actual decent games when I call friends and family to see if they want to go to a game?

RPI, resume, all that aside, these are terrible opponents. It's hard to find people that want to go to these types of games, and it's harder to sell the tickets and come close to recouping your money. The BC was maybe at best 25% full tonight. Fans don't want to go to these games. I'm fine with having 2-3 of these games per season. You have to get some easy wins. But playing 7 straight of roughly this caliber at home with another coming in late January? That's just brutal.

You are paying the same amount to see Grambling as you are to see Villanova. I guess it all averages out, but it makes you wonder if the season tickets are a good investment or not when 8 of the 17(?) games are like this.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2015, 10:56:09 PM »
Work & family commitments prevent me from going tonight, Saturday and next Tuesday. I cannot give the tix away.  No one will take them.  It's bad.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2015, 10:56:58 PM »

I agree with your analysis. I understand the need for cupcakes, however I have consistently believed we can get bottom tier Mid American, Horizon , Missouri Valley,Summit League teams etc. We are spending a fortune on basketball and might as well pay up and get a better grade cupcake. I think  we need a completely different approach. Why not play teams like Loyola Chicago. UWM, Northern Illinois, Detroit etc.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2015, 10:57:35 PM »
Work & family commitments prevent me from going tonight, Saturday and next Tuesday. I cannot give the tix away.  No one will take them.  It's bad.

I bet you could.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2015, 11:02:05 PM »
I bet you could.

Yeah. I have friends/family that would be happy to go.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2015, 11:03:43 PM »

Go to inner city schools where kids usually don't get the opportunity to see Marquette basketball games.  I'm sure they could find a kid or 2 to give them to.  Or go to Saint A, St. Charle's, Carmelite, etc.  Boys and Girls clubs.  Etc.  If you want help finding someone to take them, I'd be happy to connect you with someone who would greatly appreciate them.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2015, 11:03:59 PM »

If I lived within 50 miles of the BC, I'd be happy to take them off your hands.

I do wish we had a couple more good NC home games, but I understand why this season's schedule was made the way it was.

We are a young team that, a couple weeks ago some folks around here were saying would be lucky to win 15 games. It is nice to see some things come together, no matter the opponent. I'm glad the streak began with the wins in Brooklyn, but I'm not apologizing for Jax State and Grambling.

I am not the least bit concerned about NCAA tourney resume building. Wojo is trying to build a program.

As for those saying it would be a waste if we don't make the tourney and Ellenson leaves ... please.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2015, 11:06:13 PM »
I think because we are SO young and honestly not a finished product yet we won't see Anim and Heldt getting much time against the cupcakes. Wojo wants an 8 man rotation and those 8 men are still learning how to play together. To put it in the worst way possible Wojo doesn't want to waste time with playing Heldt and Anim when they aren't going to getting much playing time. Heldt will get minutes when Luke or Henry get in foul trouble and Anim might play against athletic guards when an opponent throws out a four guard lineup. Wojo wants to get the top 8 as much experience playing together as possible. I don't necessarily agree but that's why he gets paid the big bucks.

I think next season we will see more young players getting big minutes against cupcakes.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2015, 11:09:20 PM »

I completely understand your frustration. If they release a similarly poor schedule next year then I'll probably consider taking a couple years off as a season ticket holder.

That said, it's just really nice to see some damn wins. It's been a tough two years and I'll enjoy each of our 8 (hopefully) non-conference home wins.

MU86NC

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2015, 11:36:49 PM »

Don't by the tickets... Your r an idiot!

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2015, 11:59:41 PM »
You are nitpicking the difference between a 250
RPI team and a 350 RPI. Sorry it ruined your night but most fans don't know the difference. Must have been tough spending two hours watching your alma mater play basketball. You are a true martyr.

feedback