'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Fascinated with Experience...  (Read 9732 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Fascinated with Experience...
« on: November 21, 2015, 08:38:26 AM »
Having thought a bit more about it, I am fully on board with the experience-excuse.

I am limited on time, but wish to embark on some research re: experience and its impact on college basketball.

I am going to build a database and do some high-level analysis in the near future, but am terribly busy (with boring stuff, obviously)...

I ask Scoopers this: if there are any quality studies on experience in college basketball that you've come across, please post a link and/or thoughts in this thread.

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Fascinated with Experience...
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 11:51:59 AM »
I would add that experience at point guard is potentially most important.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 12:04:34 PM »

What about experience at Head Coaching?

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 12:08:16 PM »
What about experience at Head Coaching?

Of course, but then again that is highly correlated with what a young coach inherits as well.  Buzz inherited gold.  Steve Lavin inherited gold.  Steve Fischer inherited gold.

Not all first year or early in their career coaches can be so lucky.  That would have to be factored in.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 12:21:28 PM »
Does anyone here think the Iowa senior point guard was better than Haanif or Carter as a freshmen? I think both Haanif and carter have a higher ceiling than him.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 12:40:50 PM »
Does anyone here think the Iowa senior point guard was better than Haanif or Carter as a freshmen? I think both Haanif and carter have a higher ceiling than him.

I suppose that remains to be seen, but that was ultimately my point.  I'll take a senior point guard who is good with the ball, smart decision maker over a freshman point guard most times.  There are exceptions.  DJ played very well as a freshman. Tony Miller.  Etc.  By and large, however, I like the steady hand of an experienced point guard to control the game, tempo, distribute, etc.

Especially true now with a shorter shot clock and making sure we are taking good shots, in rhythm, etc.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 12:48:09 PM »
I suppose that remains to be seen, but that was ultimately my point.  I'll take a senior point guard who is good with the ball, smart decision maker over a freshman point guard most times.  There are exceptions.  DJ played very well as a freshman. Tony Miller.  Etc.  By and large, however, I like the steady hand of an experienced point guard to control the game, tempo, distribute, etc.

Especially true now with a shorter shot clock and making sure we are taking good shots, in rhythm, etc.

This is exactly why I think this offseason may have been mishandled. We went after Lee and Miller, but never made a push for the big name PGs available. We didn't even need a star, some of the lesser known guys that had experience and could fill a role would have been great for this team.

Very odd that Wojo, a point guard himself, seemed so content to go into the season with one true freshman PG and another few guys that would have to be converted to the position.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 12:50:15 PM »
This is exactly why I think this offseason may have been mishandled. We went after Lee and Miller, but never made a push for the big name PGs available. We didn't even need a star, some of the lesser known guys that had experience and could fill a role would have been great for this team.

Very odd that Wojo, a point guard himself, seemed so content to go into the season with one true freshman PG and another few guys that would have to be converted to the position.

Do we know this?  Or is that speculation?

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 12:51:08 PM »

Even at this stage, Gesell is basically a game manager a la Derrick Wilson. The big difference is he's surrounded by shooters, a luxury our PGs haven't had in several years.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 12:54:22 PM »

Funny as opposed to Wojo resting on his laurels, I just assumed someone didn't want to walk into a one season situation where they had to be the PG for a bunch of inexperienced freshman.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2015, 12:59:09 PM »
Can't underestimate experience in da sack, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2015, 01:09:45 PM »

No we don't know this.....

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2015, 02:36:23 PM »

There's a better chance that minimal interest will be reported as significant than that actual interest would go unreported, especially in the Twitter age.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2015, 03:02:31 PM »
The Coach had no experience as a Head Coach. That is the real experience deficit.

Wojo made a major strategic mistake last year in allowing Deonte Burton and John Dawson to transfer. It hurt the team last year in the close Big East games and is really hurting even more this year. Both would have been making important contributions as Juniors this year.  A seasoned coach would have worked through the issues the both of them had.

Similarly, why run off Steve Taylor going into his senior year? He was showing good progress toward the end of last year. Make him a team captain as a senior and convince him he would be part of a solid team. Between those three we would have quite a bit more experience ,and would have had the luxury of putting the freshman in situations where they have a better chance to succeed and build confidence.

Stats about experience can be made to show anything you want.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2015, 03:05:38 PM »
Top ranked UNC goes down to Northern Iowa. UNI's 4 leading scorers.....Jr., Sr., Sr, Sr.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2015, 03:06:47 PM »
The Coach had no experience as a Head Coach. That is the real experience deficit.

Wojo made a major strategic mistake last year in allowing Deonte Burton and John Dawson to transfer. It hurt the team last year in the close Big East games and is really hurting even more this year. Both would have been making important contributions as Juniors this year.  A seasoned coach would have worked through the issues the both of them had.

Similarly, why run off Steve Taylor going into his senior year? He was showing good progress toward the end of last year. Make him a team captain as a senior and convince him he would be part of a solid team. Between those three we would have quite a bit more experience ,and would have had the luxury of putting the freshman in situations where they have a better chance to succeed and build confidence.

Yup. Wojo should have made those kids stay here no matter what. Definitely should not have "allowed" them to transfer. Chain them to the Al if necessary. Maybe throw them in MPD jail. 24/7 security guards to make sure they don't step foot off campus. There are lots of ways to make sure they stayed.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2015, 03:17:55 PM »
I'll take experience and 3 point shooting for 200 Alex....

@RobDauster: North Carolina was up 50-34 at around the 16 minute mark. UNI responded with threes on four of the next five possessions.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2015, 04:02:54 PM »

Seasoned coaches have transfers too.  Burton didn't want to be at MU. Taylor was going to quit the year prior.  If a kid wants to leave and is packing it in, or becomes a disruptive concern in the locker room, you have no choice but to let them go.  It does nothing for the team to have them stick around.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2015, 04:17:52 PM »

@RobDauster: North Carolina was up 50-34 at around the 16 minute mark. UNI responded with threes on four of the next five possessions.
+1

Is it just me or does anyone else find it odd that UNC was AT UNI?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2015, 04:22:21 PM »
Seasoned coaches have transfers too.  Burton didn't want to be at MU. Taylor was going to quit the year prior.  If a kid wants to leave and is packing it in, or becomes a disruptive concern in the locker room, you have no choice but to let them go.  It does nothing for the team to have them stick around.
I don't want to renew the Burton Dawson debate. All I am saying is that in the circumstances we were in, a seasoned coach would have figured out ways to keep them around for the good of the program. None of these kids were cancers and they would have helped. Remember they had very good chemistry with their teammates.
 The cancer was Todd Mayo and of course we saw how well he did in the D League.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2015, 04:24:34 PM »
+1

Is it just me or does anyone else find it odd that UNC was AT UNI?

Not at all. Roy Williams and UNC have a long history of playing "homecoming" games for their players. They schedule road games so UNC players get a chance to play in front of their friends and family without requiring them to travel to Chapel Hill. In this case, I doubt it's coincidence that UNC star PG is an Iowa native.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2015, 04:26:51 PM »

If they were playing us, at least two of those possessions would've resulted in a 4-point play.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2015, 04:27:32 PM »
Not at all. Roy Williams and UNC have a long history of playing "homecoming" games for their players. They schedule road games so UNC players get a chance to play in front of their friends and family without requiring them to travel to Chapel Hill. In this case, I doubt it's coincidence that UNC star PG is an Iowa native.
Thanks - you are correct, i did just see that it was a homecoming for Marcus Paige.  Nice tradition by Roy and UNC (can't believe i just typed that and meant it)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2015, 04:28:28 PM »
I don't want to renew the Burton Dawson debate. All I am saying is that in the circumstances we were in, a seasoned coach would have figured out ways to keep them around for the good of the program. None of these kids were cancers and they would have helped. Remember they had very good chemistry with their teammates.
 The cancer was Todd Mayo and of course we saw how well he did in the D League.

We will agree to disagree.  Keeping a kid around that isn't happy brings down the collective morale of the team.  And yes, Mayo was a cancer and never should have been at MU in the first place...what a recruitment that was.   :P

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2015, 04:29:23 PM »
Thanks - you are correct, i did just see that it was a homecoming for Marcus Paige.  Nice tradition by Roy and UNC (can't believe i just typed that and meant it)

Probably one of my favorite traditions in college sports, and that's saying something because there are a lot of good ones. I would love for Marquette to try that too.