Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[May 31, 2024, 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[May 31, 2024, 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Friday is war  (Read 15950 times)

jsglow

• All American
Friday is war
« on: November 09, 2015, 10:49:41 PM »
Belmont is damn good. Get your arse down to the BMO Harris BC.  Tell the Mrs. that it's date night. Every student,  every alum. No freakin' Tennessee 'community college' comes into our house and pushes us around.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 11:16:49 PM by jsglow »

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Friday is war
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 10:57:43 PM »
ARRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHH!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 10:14:58 AM »
I had a sales rep visit me a work last week and her daughter is a Freshman at Belmont.  She thought her daughter may be the only one from Connecticut there. 
I was blown away of photos of the campus.  Apparently a bunch of country music stars are grads and the school has some solid financial donor backing as a result.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 10:18:07 AM »
I had a sales rep visit me a work last week and her daughter is a Freshman at Belmont.  She thought her daughter may be the only one from Connecticut there. 
I was blown away of photos of the campus.  Apparently a bunch of country music stars are grads and the school has some solid financial donor backing as a result.

The pictures are not misleading.  My office was about 3 miles away from the Belmont campus, it is very impressive. 
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 10:26:38 AM »
Belmont is damn good. Get your arse down to the BMO Harris BC.  Tell the Mrs. that it's date night. Every student,  every alum. No freakin' Tennessee 'community college' comes into our house and pushes us around.

Freaky... even though it was technically phrased as a question, the Mrs. already told me that.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 10:28:14 AM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 10:32:43 AM »
Attractiveness of campus aside, I'll be surprised if MU wins this one. Belmont executes incredibly well in the halfcourt, and has shooters that can really punish mistakes. MU was very poor last night with their discipline defensively, both with overplaying and fouling. Plays right into a veteran team's hands.

On the other hand, Belmont hasn't been a great defensive team, and MU has more size and speed. Crucial for Luke to stay out of foul trouble in this one. He and Henry will be a handful for their frontcourt.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 10:38:19 AM »

When I was growing up in Nashville, Belmont was tiny - I mean Cardinal Stritch tiny. The entire campus was basically a square city block,.  I drove through campus a couple of years ago and was floored. 
Have some patience, FFS.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 10:55:26 AM »
Belmont is good but they did manage to lose to Eastern Kentucky,Eastern Illinois, Jacksonville State, Morehead State and Wright State (twice) last season.

If they are hitting 3s and we put them on the line a ton it will be a very tough game. They will have trouble stopping our inside game assuming Luke and Henry can stay out of foul trouble.

ps Maybe we should change our name to Eastern Wisconsin or Marquette State for just 1 game?  8-)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 10:57:51 AM by MuMark »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 10:56:57 AM »
Stupid question, but is Belmont the same as Belmont Abbey?  The same school that Al began his coaching career at?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 10:57:23 AM »
Freaky... even though it was technically phrased as a question, the Mrs. already told me that.

But did you get the mushrooms?

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 10:58:12 AM »
Stupid question, but is Belmont the same as Belmont Abbey?  The same school that Al began his coaching career at?

No

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 11:07:26 AM »

Nope. I believe Belmont Abbey is in one of the Carolinas.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 11:12:15 AM »
Consider me shocked if MU loses the home opener to a team (Belmont) predicted to finish behind Southern Illinois - Edwardsville & University of Tennessee Martin in the OVC.

I can't handle another year like the last two. & more importantly neither could Scoop. Kick some ass Friday boys!

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2015, 11:14:44 AM »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2015, 11:36:03 AM »
Consider me shocked if MU loses the home opener to a team (Belmont) predicted to finish behind Southern Illinois - Edwardsville & University of Tennessee Martin in the OVC.

I can't handle another year like the last two. & more importantly neither could Scoop. Kick some ass Friday boys!

Don't know where you get your info from but it's not true Belmont was pegged to both win their division and the overall conference.

http://www.tsutigers.com/mbasketball/news/2015-16/6263/mens-basketball-picked-sixth-in-east-division-of-ovc-preseason-coachessid-poll/
Maigh Eo for Sam

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2015, 11:44:32 AM »
Consider me shocked if MU loses the home opener to a team (Belmont)

Then you might want to prepare to be shocked.  10 years ago a talented but young MU team lost to Winthrop in the second home game of the season.  Winthrop was coming off an NCAA appearance and returned everyone from that team.  Just like Belmont.  Returning everyone is a HUGE advantage at this time of the year and those guys did win 20+ games last year.  I actually wouldn't be "shocked" if MU trailed most of the game.

So better be prepared.  By the way the team that lost to Winthrop, a few weeks later beat #2 UCONN and went on to go the NCAA tournament.  So if we lose, as I fear we will, don't go crazy.  Young teams take time.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2015, 11:49:31 AM »

Looks like you were texting national security intel. Are you married to Hillary Clinton?

Death on call

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2015, 12:00:50 PM »
Then you might want to prepare to be shocked.  10 years ago a talented but young MU team lost to Winthrop in the second home game of the season.  Winthrop was coming off an NCAA appearance and returned everyone from that team.  Just like Belmont.  Returning everyone is a HUGE advantage at this time of the year and those guys did win 20+ games last year.  I actually wouldn't be "shocked" if MU trailed most of the game.

So better be prepared.  By the way the team that lost to Winthrop, a few weeks later beat #2 UCONN and went on to go the NCAA tournament.  So if we lose, as I fear we will, don't go crazy.  Young teams take time.

Belmont and LSU are the two games I am most worried about losing in the non-conference. This is a very, very tough team to start a season with. Also, don't expect this Belmont team to be intimidated by the Bradley Center. These guys have gone into both North Carolina and Stanford in the past few years and come away with wins.

Defense will be the story of this game. We need good man-to-man defense to limit their shooters and need to take advantage of mismatches against their defense. Fouls will be huge. Can't be sending them to the line all night long. I'm hoping for a win, but this is likely to be the toughest season opener in a long time, at least since IUPUI, who had a lead midway through the second half against Crean and the Three Amigos in 2007.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2015, 12:18:46 PM »
So what if we blow them out by 25 then. Is that a testament to the "we're back" mindset or belmont just had an off game.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2015, 12:19:40 PM »
So what if we blow them out by 25 then. Is that a testament to the "we're back" mindset or belmont just had an off game.

Why does it have to be one of those things?

source?

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2015, 12:20:44 PM »

Looked into this and it is a pretty impressive list. Florida Georgia Line (both members), Canaan Smith, Josh Turner, Lee Ann Womack, Trisha Yearwood, Steven Curtis Chapman (not country, but was huge in the Christian music scene a little ways back). That's just some of the more notable ones. What are they doing in their music school?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2015, 12:24:43 PM »
Looked into this and it is a pretty impressive list. Florida Georgia Line (both members), Canaan Smith, Josh Turner, Lee Ann Womack, Trisha Yearwood, Steven Curtis Chapman (not country, but was huge in the Christian music scene a little ways back). That's just some of the more notable ones. What are they doing in their music school?

Where the hell did you get this?

Death on call

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2015, 12:26:57 PM »
Belmont was a 15-seed last season with an RPI of 105. If MU wants to avoid a disappointing Selection Sunday, this is the type of game that they need to win.  Obviously, there's a lot of basketball to play but a home loss to an OVC school could end up being the difference between the NCAAT and the NIT at season's end.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2015, 12:27:00 PM »

Pretty sure that's what the school is known for, hence likely attracting talented performers. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2015, 12:28:58 PM »

Not necessarily either of the above, nor would a loss (even by double-digits) a sign that the season is over. But this is the type of team known for springing early season upsets and has done it (with these players on the roster) to bigger and better teams than we are putting on the floor Friday. Simply, this isn't a game we should take for granted.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.