collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Bucks Cheerleader Sues the Bucks  (Read 19236 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: Bucks Cheerleader Sues the Bucks
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2015, 10:32:43 AM »
The NFL has a female issue?  Please define what that means to you.

-A gajillion domestic abuse cases (Ray Rice, Greg Hardy, etc)
-Bad PR around their Pink campaign (proceeds go to breast cancer programs....roughly 8% after the NFL and it's vendors get their cut)
-William Gay is being fined for wearing purple cleats to raise awareness for DV instead of pink (mother was killed in a domestic violence event)
-Multiple lawsuits from cheerleaders regarding their employment conditions (potentially exploitative)

The NFL appears to not care about women and women's issues.  Not a good look in the modern age....that's what it means to me.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2015, 10:37:53 AM »
-A gajillion domestic abuse cases (Ray Rice, Greg Hardy, etc)
-Bad PR around their Pink campaign (proceeds go to breast cancer programs....roughly 8% after the NFL and it's vendors get their cut)
-William Gay is being fined for wearing purple cleats to raise awareness for DV instead of pink (mother was killed in a domestic violence event)
-Multiple lawsuits from cheerleaders regarding their employment conditions (potentially exploitative)

The NFL appears to not care about women and women's issues.  Not a good look in the modern age....that's what it means to me.

Not to mention condescending crap like this.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/08/the-buccaneers-launched-an-embarrassingly-sexist-initiative-to-help-women-understand-football

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2015, 10:56:54 AM »
Correct, didn't want to feel like I was piling on :)

Let's not forget Deangelo Williams being fined $5,700 for writing "We will find a cure" on his eye black.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2015, 11:38:50 AM »
Let's not forget Deangelo Williams being fined $5,700 for writing "We will find a cure" on his eye black.

How dare the NFL enforce their uniform code!

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2015, 11:41:49 AM »

But we got a great headline from Yahoo: NFL fines DeAngelo Williams for raising breast cancer awareness during breast cancer awareness month

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2015, 11:54:23 AM »
It's part of the job.  The benefits of being a cheerleader go beyond the pay.  I've had a Baltimore Ravens cheerleader intern for me as well as two Laker girls, so I have a bit of experience in this.  For some, it is to get noticed for modeling jobs, acting jobs, etc.  Some, literally, want to catch a guy....words directly out of their mouths.  Others, because they just love sports or want to be part of the community.

Point is, they know the pay sucks, but they know there are other benefits that go along with it.  Travel, exotic trips to shoot calendars, linkage to other jobs, etc.  They know going in what the requirements are and NO ONE is putting a gun to their head to take these jobs.  It is a means to an end for bigger, better stuff.

Now, where I would agree with you is if they didn't disclose the other requirements in advance to her, but if they didn't then that is piss poor on the Bucks.   Typically they outline that you will be required as part of your gig to be at X number of outside functions during the season.   Don't like it?  Don't be a cheerleader.

So you had a girl tell you, directly out of her mouth, "I worked as a dancer for [enter professional sports team] just so I could sleep with their players," and your response was, "Perfect, you'd fit right in here!  Welcome to the company, you'll report directly to me."

Well done!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2015, 11:57:57 AM »
Her picture came with one of the articles smart guy.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Lauren+Herington&oq=Lauren+Herington&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.231j0j4&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#q=Lauren+Herington&tbm=nws

I'd be happy to pose a picture of Bango, do they show who is under the costume?  Or are they all like this?

http://www.nba.com/bucks/community/madison-childrens-hospital-fireman-rob-foundation

So you couldn't just leave it at the text of the article?  Felt the picture of the girl was necessary?  If she was uglier would she have a case since the dancing probably wouldn't be helping her future opportunities?  If she were hotter would she have a case because she should get paid more for the added eye candy it brings for male fans?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2015, 12:01:29 PM »

Missing the point, of course.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2015, 12:05:17 PM »
So you had a girl tell you, directly out of her mouth, "I worked as a dancer for [enter professional sports team] just so I could sleep with their players," and your response was, "Perfect, you'd fit right in here!  Welcome to the company, you'll report directly to me."

Well done!

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2015, 12:11:30 PM »
Missing the point, of course.

One of us is. Its a horrible example.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2015, 01:06:04 PM »
One of us is. Its a horrible example.

Sure, sure.
In order to enforce a draconian and 100 percent profit-driven uniform code, the NFL is fining players for  heartfelt tributes to their mothers, whose lives were taken by two issues women in particular care very much about - breast cancer and domestic violence.

Explain to me how this is anything but a bad look for the NFL, especially among female fans.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 01:33:25 PM by Pakuni »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2015, 01:11:26 PM »
Look, the NFL is run by conservative old men.  They just got a Youtube channel in January.  Self-expression is frowned upon.  The uniform is the three-piece suit of their workplace. 

Is it really that incredible that they don't quite know how to handle the female demographic?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2015, 01:28:14 PM »
Look, the NFL is run by conservative old men.  They just got a Youtube channel in January.  Self-expression is frowned upon.  The uniform is the three-piece suit of their workplace. 

Is it really that incredible that they don't quite know how to handle the female demographic?

I don't think the NFL owners/leadership understand their players let alone the female demographic.  Sad to say MLB is light years ahead of NFL when it comes to engaging the modern world and the NBA is in a whole other galaxy.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2015, 01:37:04 PM »
Sure, sure.
In order to enforce a draconian and 100 percent profit-driven uniform code, the NFL is fining players for  heartfelt tributes to their mothers, whose lives were taken by two problems (not the best word) women in particular care very much about - breast cancer and domestic violence.

So I'm clear...you want this oganization with a history of poor judgement and women problems to now legislate which uniform code violations are acceptable and which are not. Got it. Let's try a few others...

Hope and Change
Trump 2016
Hillary 2016
Love wins
Wendy's Eat Fresh
FU Goddell
All lives matter
Abortion is murder
John 3:16

What could possibly go wrong?

Beyond that, how dare a private business that exists to make money, be profit driven?

You guys do know what the word 'uniform' means, right?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 01:38:42 PM by NavinRJohnson »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2015, 01:38:57 PM »

Well done!

Chico's did not claim he heard them say " just so I could sleep with their players"; he said they "want to catch a guy".  Huge difference.  Never specifically mentioned players, and "catching a guy" usually means "finding a serious relationship", not answering booty calls.  As a professional sports team cheerleader, I am sure you meet a lot of men you wouldn't normally meet, including those fans in the front rows.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 01:41:23 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

brandx

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2015, 01:40:41 PM »

Well done!

Well done by you, Wades.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2015, 01:42:14 PM »
So I'm clear...you want this oganization with a history of poor judgement and women problems to now legislate which uniform code violations are acceptable and which are not. Got it. Let's try a few others...

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/slippery-slope

Beyond that, how dare a private business that exists to make money, be profit driven?

That's some Chico's-level disingenuousness there.

Cute.
I know the NFL is more than happy to violate its  uniform codes when it serves its bottom line ... so let's not be naive and pretend that this is somehow about the integrity of its uniform code.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 01:44:43 PM by Pakuni »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2015, 01:42:51 PM »
Sure, sure.
In order to enforce a draconian and 100 percent profit-driven uniform code, the NFL is fining players for  heartfelt tributes to their mothers, whose lives were taken by two problems (not the best word) women in particular care very much about - breast cancer and domestic violence.

Explain to me how this is anything but a bad look for the NFL, especially among female fans.

It makes the NFL look bad because of the way that it's presented: "NFL Fines Player for Paying Tribute to His Late Mother/Father/Aunt/Friend/Etc"

The NFL doesn't want players to personalize their uniforms. Period. Whether that's a message on their eye black, different colored shoes, low socks, whatever. If they allow Williams, Gay and Heyward to personalize messages to loved ones on their uniforms, that opens the door to other players who want to express their feelings/opinions about gun control, Syria, abortion, gay marriage, Ferguson, etc. The NFL quite simply doesn't want that and they don't want to have to deal with players appealing to do something and then sorting out what's "worthy" and what isn't. These players are willing to pay the fines and, honestly, the fact that they're fined brings more attention to their cause than if it was allowed.

As far as Breast Cancer Awareness Month, the NFL's campaign, much like many other Breast Cancer Awareness campaigns, essentially does nothing to help cancer research. However, Breast Cancer Awareness is big business for a lot of people, including the NFL. The league doesn't want to take the focus off of their Pink campaign and put it on Iron Head's bone cancer or Gay's mother's murder. After all, there are no clever t-shirts to sell to "raise awareness" for brain tumors or domestic violence.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 01:44:36 PM by MerrittsMustache »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2015, 01:43:23 PM »

Hope and Change
Trump 2016
Hillary 2016
Love wins
Wendy's Eat Fresh
FU Goddell
All lives matter
Abortion is murder
John 3:16

What could possibly go wrong?

You do realize that the NBA and MLB have players making similar "memorials" by putting initials on their shoes, gloves, etc., and it has never been a problem.  I have never considered a player to not be "uniform" because of these innocuous statements.

A common sense approach to this (instead of zero tolerance) would be easy.  Personal statements that don't stray into politics.  If someone wants to put John 3:16 on their eye black...who cares?  But you are right, this is an organization that has trouble making common sense decisions.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2015, 01:44:47 PM »
The idea of just dismissing this as frivilous seems less credible when other professional teams have had cheerleaders sue them recently and get favorable results. I think it happened the Bengals very recently.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2015, 01:47:30 PM »

A common sense approach to this (instead of zero tolerance) would be easy.  Personal statements that don't stray into politics.  If someone wants to put John 3:16 on their eye black...who cares?  But you are right, this is an organization that has trouble making common sense decisions.

Someone will care enough to make a big deal about it. You know that, Sultan.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 02:05:20 PM by MerrittsMustache »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2015, 01:48:33 PM »
The idea of just dismissing this as frivilous seems less credible when other professional teams have had cheerleaders sue them recently and get favorable results. I think it happened the Bengals very recently.

Yep.
Bengals cheerleaders got a $255K settlement.
Raiders cheerleaders got a $1.25 million settlement.
Bucs cheerleaders got a $855K settlement.
Cases against the Bills and Jets are pending.

Maybe those settlements were only for the women forced into cheerleading at gunpoint.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 01:51:01 PM by Pakuni »

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2015, 01:53:01 PM »
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/slippery-slope

That's some Chico's-level disingenuousness there.

That's cute and all, but the question remains, do you really want the NFL legislating acceptable uniform code violations on a case by case basis? Why should they have to? When one player is allowed to do something they consider ok, and another is not, even though though they consider it ok, what then? Let me guess, if Tim tebow had some sort of Christian/pro-life/etc message, you'd be condemning that fine too, right?

Of course,  they fine them, they don't kill them. Deangelo Williams can do whatever he wants. It's just going to cost him. The NFL does not exist for players to provide tributes. They can do that any other way they want.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2015, 01:55:54 PM »

Cute.
I know the NFL is more than happy to violate its  uniform codes when it serves its bottom line ... so let's not be naive and pretend that this is somehow about the integrity of its uniform code.

What is the purpose of the NFL?

When has the NFL ever violated its own uniform code?

feedback