[Today at 02:12:17 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 01:48:59 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by BM1090
[Today at 01:48:35 PM]

And The New...... by 94Warrior
[Today at 12:16:38 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Campus Expansion  (Read 2547 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: Campus Expansion
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2015, 03:37:30 PM »
12 Liberty University - Good thing Dawson is on scholarship.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2015, 03:39:50 PM »
+1

Not to mention that the B-school has several high-ranking individual programs (accounting, reals-estate, supply chain, etc.).

The places that need to drop their business programs are the unremarkable, smaller private schools.  No one looks at a resume and says, "Whoa!  He's got a marketing degree from Cardinal Stritch!  Set up an interview!"

I think this is probably generally true, but I think there are related nuances worth mentioning.

If a student is going into a field like marketing, prestige and rank of the school probably matter.  Why?  Marketing, as a field, generally doesn't have an objective measure of quality.  And so folks who need to hire a good marketer will likely turn to highly ranked schools. In other words, the school rank fills the quality-signal void that fields like marketing lack.

On the other hand, if a student is going into a field like computer science, prestige and rank of the school matter a lot less (barring places like MIT and CalTech, etc.).  Why do I say that rank of the school matters less in comp sci vis-a-vis marketing?  Because fields like computer science have a clear signal of quality.  You either know C++ or you don't.  You either have experience coding or you don't, regardless of which school you went to.  Java is the same at UW-Madison as it is at UW-Parkside.

Now, I'm not saying school rank is absolutely, positively meaningless for comp sci majors.  What I am saying is that comp sci majors do not get nearly the same bump from their school's rank that marketing majors do.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2015, 03:44:37 PM »
Here's a big part of the problem:

For-profit colleges are shams.  Kudos to the Obama administration for FINALLY starting to realize this, but, it was way overdue. 

I think these schools should be fined for false advertising.  I also think that they should have their FAFSA funding cut.

Agree - most for-profit schools are a total joke.  I just didn't realize they had jumped so incredibly high on the student loan list.

As an aside - should we be concerned that 6 of the 12 nonprofit schools on the more recent list are from the Big Twelethirfourteen? 

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2015, 03:53:03 PM »
1) Those check-writing alumni don't seem to support their own program. Straz has been an absolute sh1thole since long before I arrived on campus in 2003. The b-school alumni checks have gone to Law and Comm - all MU business school graduates.
2) Can you cite which rankings support your claim of it's strong regional standing? (Edit: If you can't make the top 150 in your program and are unranked, maybe you should consider a different direction http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/marquette-university-01243) They're on their, what, third or fourth dean to take a stab at this?
3) Should the goal of the university be excellence or profit? Why is it that no actual elite school has an undergraduate business school? (EDIT: My bad on this, there are some elite schools which offer undergrad b-school programs. absolutely wrong on that)

1) B-school alums can cut checks, but these checks may not go to Straz for at least two reasons.
i) These B-school alums actually donate to the law school.  This may sound crazy.  But I know a guy who donates to his alma mater's medical school, despite not being an alum of the med school.
ii) Even if B-school alums earmark their donations for the B-school, MU admin may channel whatever resources that were going to the B-school before the donation to other places.  Funds are fungible.  In order for an earmarked donation to have a sure-fire way to have an impact is to donate to that particular earmarked area more than the school's current budget for that area.  That will ensure a net positive impact on the earmarked area.

2)  Didn't you just state above that rankings were not a great indicator?  Anyway, I can tell you that MU's AIM program is good.  Very good.  I don't care what any rankings say (and I don't know what they say).

3)  Not sure how you are defining profit.  IMO, the goal of a college/university is three-fold:
i)  to enlighten the general populace through teaching, i.e., provide knowledge for the intrinsic value of knowledge
ii) to provide so that students can make an investment in their human capital, realize their full potential, and/or get the training that they need to switch industries if they/the economy sees fit
iii) to research, research, research.

Create knowledge (iii) and to promote it (i and ii)

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2015, 03:53:16 PM »
Agree - most for-profit schools are a total joke.  I just didn't realize they had jumped so incredibly high on the student loan list.

As an aside - should we be concerned that 6 of the 12 nonprofit schools on the more recent list are from the Big Twelethirfourteen? 

Keep in mind that these figures are gross, not per student.  It obviously makes sense that schools that have more students also have more total student debt.
Have some patience, FFS.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2015, 04:08:56 PM »
+1

Not to mention that the B-school has several high-ranking individual programs (accounting, reals-estate, supply chain, etc.).

The places that need to drop their business programs are the unremarkable, smaller private schools.  No one looks at a resume and says, "Whoa!  He's got a marketing degree from Cardinal Stritch!  Set up an interview!"
I love Marquette but I'd disagree that a bachelors in business opens many doors on its own, as compared with other schools. Marketing especially.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2015, 04:20:27 PM »
2)  Didn't you just state above that rankings were not a great indicator?  Anyway, I can tell you that MU's AIM program is good.  Very good.  I don't care what any rankings say (and I don't know what they say).
I'd define this as placing students in fields with firms that are very competitive. If AIMis ranked 1,000 in the nation but we're getting grads into starting jobs and a diverse set of firms in high-paying early roles, then that would fit my description.

I found the b-school curriculum to be WAY below the rest of MU during my time there, especially in career services. While I loved the experience of MU, I'd have saved a lot of money going to UWM for an equal or higher quality business education.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2015, 04:43:33 PM »
A - Dumping COBA would be the single dumbest idea ever by a factor of 100.  Yes... at least 100 times dumber than "Marquette Gold."

Here's a big part of the problem:

B - Go Jags!

C - It should be mentioned that today's business school graduates have the highest earning potential amongst their fellow graduates in A&H, science & tech, engineering, A&M, health care, etc.

I'd define this as placing students in fields with firms that are very competitive. If AIMis ranked 1,000 in the nation but we're getting grads into starting jobs and a diverse set of firms in high-paying early roles, then that would fit my description.

D - AIM is placing their graduates in jobs most can't even comprehend.  Real estate has a 100% placement rate.  Accounting is top ten in the country for first-time CPA exam pass rates.

E - Just because one can't figure out what to do with a marketing degree doesn't mean the business school should be shut down.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2015, 04:46:39 PM »

5 of 12, actually. (7 of 12 if you want to get existential)

But that's OK, their grads have a tough time with 5, 6 and 7, too.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2015, 08:55:43 PM »

I found the b-school curriculum to be WAY below the rest of MU during my time there, especially in career services. While I loved the experience of MU, I'd have saved a lot of money going to UWM for an equal or higher quality business education.

4 ever can hook you up with a job driving a water truck, if you want.  A ina.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2015, 11:44:51 PM »
I love Marquette but I'd disagree that a bachelors in business opens many doors on its own, as compared with other schools. Marketing especially.

No wait just a goddam minute! That Zizzo chick was a Marketing major at MU!

Death on call

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2015, 09:43:14 AM »

Heresy, I tell you.  Don't besmirch the good name of us BS'ers with a BAJ graduate.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2015, 01:36:34 PM »
Agree - most for-profit schools are a total joke. 

So, Doc, you are saying my Masters from Strayer University isn't as valuable as your Vandy diploma???

Death on call

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2015, 02:34:43 PM »
sorry "Zizzo Chick?"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2015, 03:06:16 PM »
sorry "Zizzo Chick?"

The Branding and MarComm genius behind the Marquette Gold...

Evidently, she is a member of Marquette's Board of Trustees...

Death on call

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2015, 01:16:56 AM »
The Branding and MarComm genius behind the Marquette Gold...

Evidently, she is a member of Marquette's Board of Trustees...
oof. Looks like a journalism grad, though. Blood isn't in the B-school's hands

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2015, 02:42:25 AM »
Blood isn't in the B-school's hands

Does anyone remember the newspaper put out by the College of Engineering? That thing was priceless.

In particular, they served up a steady diet of jokes about the business school, always referring to its hapless and witless students as "Biz Adders."

This was back in the Carter and Reagan years. It would be great to know that the "Biz Adders" are still being mocked. 

Death on call

🏀

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2015, 11:15:05 AM »
Does anyone remember the newspaper put out by the College of Engineering? That thing was priceless.

In particular, they served up a steady diet of jokes about the business school, always referring to its hapless and witless students as "Biz Adders."

This was back in the Carter and Reagan years. It would be great to know that the "Biz Adders" are still being mocked. 

Yes, they are still mocked. However, it was only by one ancient professor that resembles a Manadrian monk despite being not being from Asian descent.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2015, 01:38:58 PM »

Engineers:  We have jobs, we have jobs

Biz Adders: Working for us, Working for us

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2015, 08:14:18 PM »

Not for sure on this, but I think it was called The Blueprint, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2015, 03:34:57 AM »
Having spent last summer beginning the process of figuring out where my high schooler is going to spend $200+k of my hard earned money over the next 4-5 years, I was absolutely stunned by the infrastructure explosion at several of the universities we toured, including MU.

What am I looking for?  A "really good" school for $40k/year rather than a school with really new buildings for $60k/year.  (we live overseas, so we're "out of state" everywhere).

Which means I'm looking for a place that's spending responsibly now... not going crazy.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

feedback