2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 15, 2024, 10:20:46 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[April 15, 2024, 10:12:01 PM]

Going Portaling: Which Portal Prospect do you want and why? by DoctorV
[April 15, 2024, 09:54:11 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Tyler COLEk
[April 15, 2024, 08:53:41 PM]

[Paint Touches] Shaka reaffirms MU commitment by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 15, 2024, 07:07:35 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PGsHeroes32
[April 15, 2024, 06:38:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Chicos Bail Bonds Sighted  (Read 8983 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: Chicos Bail Bonds Sighted
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2015, 08:40:21 AM »

Here is a good article on Arrieta and why he has become better.  He hasn't become stronger, which PEDs would do, but he has become insanely more accurate with his pitches.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/2015-mlb-playoffs-jake-arrieta-dominance-chicago-cubs/

Basically, he didn't truly know how to pitch and apparently the Orioles didn't know how to teach him...but Chris Bosio did.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2015, 08:42:47 AM »
Basically, he didn't truly know how to pitch and apparently the Orioles didn't know how to teach him...but Chris Bosio did.

Right.  And a number of Cub pitchers in their bullpen have also shown improvement.  I think there is a reason why the Cubs retained him through all the manager changes.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2015, 09:01:31 AM »
Was he tall enough to ride the rollercoaster?

I cringed when I read that, no doubt.  Clint Eastwood would have cringed.   ;)

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2015, 09:43:43 AM »
PC outrage aside, that old school Warriors shirt is fire flames.  I would wear the hell out of that.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2015, 09:46:19 AM »
Schwarber should be at the bottom of the list. The guy looks and is built the same as he was in high school (unless, you think he was using then). This isn't a crazily unnatural, Clay Matthews type of situation.

You don't have to look like you're a body builder to have taken PEDs.  Look at Nelson Cruz.  He's roughly the same body type as Schwarber and he's been a big boned guy from the first day I saw him as a professional (maybe he was some skinny little guy before that, I don't know).  The next time someone who hasn't used PEDs hits a baseball out of PNC Park will be the first.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2015, 10:21:30 AM »
PC outrage aside, that old school Warriors shirt is fire flames.  I would wear the hell out of that.

Yes it is.  I have a gold one and white one as well.

Eventually will end up in a Warrior quilt or something else my talented wife creates.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2015, 10:29:38 AM »
You don't have to look like you're a body builder to have taken PEDs.  Look at Nelson Cruz.  He's roughly the same body type as Schwarber and he's been a big boned guy from the first day I saw him as a professional (maybe he was some skinny little guy before that, I don't know).  The next time someone who hasn't used PEDs hits a baseball out of PNC Park will be the first.

So, basically anyone who can hit a baseball a long way is on PEDs? Got it. Matt Stairs hit it out of PNC. Is he a PED guy too?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2015, 10:30:36 AM »
So, basically anyone who can hit a baseball a long way is on PEDs? Got it. Matt Stairs hit it out of PNC. Is he a PED guy too?

Absolutely he is.

You think it's just some coincidence that 183 of his career 265 home runs (70%) came in 8 years out of his 20 year professional career (40%) right in the heart of the steroid ear?  That's 23 home runs/year during those 8 years, compared to the 7 home runs/year for the other 12 years of his career.

Also probably a coincidence that this happened when he was 28 years old.  Because most professional athletes usually take until they're nearly 30 to start performing at their best.

He went from not hitting over 10 home runs in a season until he was 29 to hitting no less than 16 (maxing out at 38) from the time he was 29-36 years old.  That is not normal at all.

I have a bridge that I'd like to sell you, too.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 10:45:15 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

SWARM!

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2015, 10:36:23 AM »
Yes it is.  I have a gold one and white one as well.

Eventually will end up in a Warrior quilt or something else my talented wife creates.

Yeah but how's her rack?

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2015, 10:46:50 AM »
Maybe the pitcher with the big guns who, after posting an ERA above 5.00 in his first four+ major league seasons, suddenly got really good when he turned 28 and even better at 29.

He's always had the stuff and the work ethic. The only thing that changed was his fastball being thrown better.

I know it's still the offseason, but let's chill with the hyperbole.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2015, 10:55:08 AM »
So far you've called a poster dumb, lazy, and uninformed.

You're the tops at Internet arguing, sir.

I don't know, man. I don't think that MLB's PED testing is all that great.

I didn't call the poster dumb, lazy and uninformed.  I called what he posted/insinuated about Arrieta dumb, lazy, and uninformed. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2015, 10:55:44 AM »
Absolutely he is.

You think it's just some coincidence that 183 of his career 265 home runs (70%) came in 8 years out of his 20 year professional career (40%) right in the heart of the steroid ear?  That's 23 home runs/year during those 8 years, compared to the 7 home runs/year for the other 12 years of his career.

Also probably a coincidence that this happened when he was 28 years old.  Because most professional athletes usually take until they're nearly 30 to start performing at their best.

He went from not hitting over 10 home runs in a season until he was 29 to hitting no less than 16 (maxing out at 38) from the time he was 29-36 years old.  That is not normal at all.

I have a bridge that I'd like to sell you, too.

Is there anyone you DON'T think is on PEDs?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2015, 11:08:34 AM »
He's always had the stuff and the work ethic. The only thing that changed was his fastball being thrown better.

I know it's still the offseason, but let's chill with the hyperbole.

Not to mention Arrieta's pitching approach and pitch variety changed IMMEDIATELY when he got to the Cubs.  Its even called out in the Grantland piece.  He always had good stuff, he was just very inconsistent.  You can still see flashes, for as dominant as he is, he still loses quite a few breaking balls, not hangers, but pitches that never turn over and come way inside.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2015, 11:12:48 AM »
Is there anyone you DON'T think is on PEDs?

Scooter Gennett and Jean Segura, unfortunately.

But seriously, you think Matt Stairs DIDN'T take PEDs?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2015, 02:05:02 PM »
Did Wade just call into ESPN1000 today? Someone called in earlier stating emphatically that Cubs hitters were on a PED program.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2015, 02:46:01 PM »
Did Wade just call into ESPN1000 today? Someone called in earlier stating emphatically that Cubs hitters were on a PED program.

?  I think I said 1 of the Cubs players has used PEDs.  Unless I missed something and Matt Stairs is currently playing for the Chicago Cubs?  Please correct me if that's wrong.  I'll hang up and listen.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 02:48:10 PM by wadesworld »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2015, 02:49:53 PM »
Scooter Gennett and Jean Segura, unfortunately.

But seriously, you think Matt Stairs DIDN'T take PEDs?

I don't know if Stairs took PEDs, but if he did he sure didn't take the right ones!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2015, 03:06:17 PM »
I don't know if Stairs took PEDs, but if he did he sure didn't take the right ones!

I'd argue he absolutely took the right ones.  The guy was 28 years old and couldn't stick in the MLB.  Suddenly he's hitting 23 home runs per year at the age of 29 and it lasts through the age of 36.  It'd be like if steroids helped as much in basketball as they do in baseball and Jerel McNeal decided to take some today and suddenly for the next 10 years he averages 12 and 5 after never doing anything in the NBA.  I'd say that would be a pretty nice jump for him, just like it was for Matt Stairs.  Certainly made a nice chunk of change for him.

But hey, if you guys think I'm just some big time skeptic for thinking that at 29 some guy magically finds his way, right in the middle of the steroid era, maybe you're right.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 03:07:51 PM by wadesworld »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2015, 03:33:52 PM »
?  I think I said 1 of the Cubs players has used PEDs.  Unless I missed something and Matt Stairs is currently playing for the Chicago Cubs?  Please correct me if that's wrong.  I'll hang up and listen.

It was a joke. Simmer Mr. Hot Take.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2015, 03:49:42 PM »
I'd argue he absolutely took the right ones.  The guy was 28 years old and couldn't stick in the MLB.  Suddenly he's hitting 23 home runs per year at the age of 29 and it lasts through the age of 36.  It'd be like if steroids helped as much in basketball as they do in baseball and Jerel McNeal decided to take some today and suddenly for the next 10 years he averages 12 and 5 after never doing anything in the NBA.  I'd say that would be a pretty nice jump for him, just like it was for Matt Stairs.  Certainly made a nice chunk of change for him.

But hey, if you guys think I'm just some big time skeptic for thinking that at 29 some guy magically finds his way, right in the middle of the steroid era, maybe you're right.

Sometimes a player's biggest obstacle is not being given an opportunity. Stairs was the Eastern League MVP in 2001 so he could always hit. Before that 8 year window to which you keep referring, he never got consistent playing time at the Major League level. Bill James has even argued that if Stairs was put in the right situation from the get-go, he would be a Hall of Famer.

To continue with your basketball analogy...Mike James went undrafted, made his NBA debut at age 26, played for 5 teams in his first 4 seasons and averaged 9 points and 3.5 assts on 41.1% shooting.  At age 30, he averaged over 20 points and nearly 6 asts on 46.9% shooting. PEDs or opportunity?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 03:53:05 PM by MerrittsMustache »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2015, 09:43:10 PM »
Hey so, back on track here...

According to Zach Zaidman, the Chicos shirt was being worn by George McCaskey.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2015, 08:29:08 AM »

You can purchase on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARQUETTE-WARRIORS-T-SHIRT-/191325697703?var=&hash=item2c8be676a7

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2015, 03:51:17 PM »
If you knew anything whatsoever about Arrieta that wouldn't even be a consideration.  But you clearly don't so you said something dumb.

You sound a lot like a Ryan Braun fan, circa 2011.
Look, I have no idea whether Arrieta is a juicer. Despite your bravado and claims of superior knowledge, neither do you.
But the fact is, a middling pitcher barely hanging on to a major-league career (remember, he was optioned twice to Triple A in 2013 before being traded to the Cubs) suddenly becoming dominant in his late 20s is virtually unheard of, and in this day and age cause for questions ... whether or not it hurts your feels.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2015, 04:21:22 PM »
You sound a lot like a Ryan Braun fan, circa 2011.
Look, I have no idea whether Arrieta is a juicer. Despite your bravado and claims of superior knowledge, neither do you.
But the fact is, a middling pitcher barely hanging on to a major-league career (remember, he was optioned twice to Triple A in 2013 before being traded to the Cubs) suddenly becoming dominant in his late 20s is virtually unheard of, and in this day and age cause for questions ... whether or not it hurts your feels.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/2015-mlb-playoffs-jake-arrieta-dominance-chicago-cubs/

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/jake-arrieta-is-not-your-normal-ace/

Seems changing your mechanics can do a lot.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2015, 04:37:09 PM »

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/jake-arrieta-is-not-your-normal-ace/

Seems changing your mechanics can do a lot.

Just like Sammy Sosa changed his swing and plate approach prior to the 1998 season?

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/09/01/sports/baseball-homers-come-with-patience-neck-neck-with-mcgwire-sosa-knocking-them.html

Again, none of us know how Arrieta became elite so late in his career. I think we can all agree it's highly unusual. If you think the question of PEDs is somehow automatically invalid or illegitimate, you're every bit the naive homer as the Cubs fans who defended Sosa to the very end.

feedback