[Today at 09:40:38 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU82
[Today at 08:02:41 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Chicos Bail Bonds Sighted  (Read 8989 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Chicos Bail Bonds Sighted
« on: October 13, 2015, 06:49:52 PM »
Did anyone else who was watching the Cubs-Cardinals game happen to see someone wearing a Chicos Bail Bonds sweatshirt running down a foul ball on the third base side of the park?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: Chicos Bail Bonds Sighted
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 08:24:04 PM »
Was he tall enough to ride the rollercoaster?

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 08:38:40 PM »
I saw that. Then I saw Kyle Schwarber, wearing a butchers apron and wielding a meat cleaver, slam a baseball to the moon.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 08:54:30 PM »
I saw that. Then I saw Kyle Schwarber, wearing a butchers apron and wielding a meat cleaver, slam a baseball to the moon.

'roids can allow for that.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 10:20:37 PM »

Says a Brewers fan?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 10:25:23 PM »
Says a Brewers fan?

Yup. Seen the effects first hand. As have Cubs fans.

Well, those 2 fan bases...and every fan base in the MLB.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 10:26:51 PM »
Yup. Seen the effects first hand. As have Cubs fans.

Well, those 2 fan bases...and every fan base in the MLB.

Well aside from Braun actually being dirty. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 10:28:33 PM »

I'm skeptical about a couple young Cubs, but Schwarber is not even on the radar.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 10:31:21 PM »
I'm skeptical about a couple young Cubs, but Schwarber is not even on the radar.

I think(?) you're a Cubs fan so curious as to who? 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 11:01:36 PM »
Did anyone else who was watching the Cubs-Cardinals game happen to see someone wearing a Chicos Bail Bonds sweatshirt running down a foul ball on the third base side of the park?

Saw that...and then thought...this is exactly the kind of event the 'bondsman would have tickets for.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 11:17:04 PM »
I think(?) you're a Cubs fan so curious as to who?

Maybe the pitcher with the big guns who, after posting an ERA above 5.00 in his first four+ major league seasons, suddenly got really good when he turned 28 and even better at 29.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 11:20:07 PM »
In one of the youth baseball leagues I umpire, one of the teams actually has CHICOS BAIL BONDS on its jerseys as the sponsor. So somebody has a good sense of humor.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 11:31:05 PM »
Maybe the pitcher with the big guns who, after posting an ERA above 5.00 in his first four+ major league seasons, suddenly got really good when he turned 28 and even better at 29.

If you knew anything whatsoever about Arrieta that wouldn't even be a consideration.  But you clearly don't so you said something dumb. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 12:05:09 AM »

I saw it....I own the same jersey.  Tanner Boyle edition.  Our softball team wore those for years.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 01:38:28 AM »

Was he running away from the flying projectile?  He should have sat behind the net.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015, 04:43:57 AM »
If you knew anything whatsoever about Arrieta that wouldn't even be a consideration.  But you clearly don't so you said something dumb.

What,  are you his friend or something.   Get over yourself.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2015, 06:25:54 AM »

He might be on top of my radar for the young Cubs.

Well aside from Braun actually being dirty. 

You're pretty naive if you think only athletes who have been caught have used PEDs.

I've come to accept that every major professional sport team in the USA has players who have used PEDs on them.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2015, 07:26:13 AM »
What,  are you his friend or something.   Get over yourself.

No. I was just responding to a lazy, uninformed comment. There are a number of reasons Arrieta has become this type of pitcher. I'd be stunned if PEDs is one of them.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2015, 07:32:09 AM »

You're pretty naive if you think only athletes who have been caught have used PEDs.

I've come to accept that every major professional sport team in the USA has players who have used PEDs on them.

Nowhere did I state that I think only athletes that have been caught are the only ones that have used PEDs. I also have no reason to suspect anyone on the Cubs.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2015, 07:36:54 AM »
No. I was just responding to a lazy, uninformed comment. There are a number of reasons Arrieta has become this type of pitcher. I'd be stunned if PEDs is one of them.

So far you've called a poster dumb, lazy, and uninformed.

You're the tops at Internet arguing, sir.

Nowhere did I state that I think only athletes that have been caught are the only ones that have used PEDs. I also have no reason to suspect anyone on the Cubs.

I don't know, man. I don't think that MLB's PED testing is all that great.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2015, 07:45:01 AM »

Was the baseball signed by Crean?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2015, 08:19:43 AM »

Schwarber should be at the bottom of the list. The guy looks and is built the same as he was in high school (unless, you think he was using then). This isn't a crazily unnatural, Clay Matthews type of situation.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2015, 08:26:17 AM »
I also have no reason to suspect anyone on the Cubs.

I'll give you a reason to suspect anyone on the Cubs:

Because they play for the Cubs.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2015, 08:32:29 AM »

Here is a good article on Arrieta and why he has become better.  He hasn't become stronger, which PEDs would do, but he has become insanely more accurate with his pitches.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/2015-mlb-playoffs-jake-arrieta-dominance-chicago-cubs/

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2015, 08:35:19 AM »
Superbar?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2015, 08:40:21 AM »

Here is a good article on Arrieta and why he has become better.  He hasn't become stronger, which PEDs would do, but he has become insanely more accurate with his pitches.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/2015-mlb-playoffs-jake-arrieta-dominance-chicago-cubs/

Basically, he didn't truly know how to pitch and apparently the Orioles didn't know how to teach him...but Chris Bosio did.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2015, 08:42:47 AM »
Basically, he didn't truly know how to pitch and apparently the Orioles didn't know how to teach him...but Chris Bosio did.

Right.  And a number of Cub pitchers in their bullpen have also shown improvement.  I think there is a reason why the Cubs retained him through all the manager changes.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2015, 09:01:31 AM »
Was he tall enough to ride the rollercoaster?

I cringed when I read that, no doubt.  Clint Eastwood would have cringed.   ;)

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2015, 09:43:43 AM »
PC outrage aside, that old school Warriors shirt is fire flames.  I would wear the hell out of that.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2015, 09:46:19 AM »
Schwarber should be at the bottom of the list. The guy looks and is built the same as he was in high school (unless, you think he was using then). This isn't a crazily unnatural, Clay Matthews type of situation.

You don't have to look like you're a body builder to have taken PEDs.  Look at Nelson Cruz.  He's roughly the same body type as Schwarber and he's been a big boned guy from the first day I saw him as a professional (maybe he was some skinny little guy before that, I don't know).  The next time someone who hasn't used PEDs hits a baseball out of PNC Park will be the first.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2015, 10:21:30 AM »
PC outrage aside, that old school Warriors shirt is fire flames.  I would wear the hell out of that.

Yes it is.  I have a gold one and white one as well.

Eventually will end up in a Warrior quilt or something else my talented wife creates.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2015, 10:29:38 AM »
You don't have to look like you're a body builder to have taken PEDs.  Look at Nelson Cruz.  He's roughly the same body type as Schwarber and he's been a big boned guy from the first day I saw him as a professional (maybe he was some skinny little guy before that, I don't know).  The next time someone who hasn't used PEDs hits a baseball out of PNC Park will be the first.

So, basically anyone who can hit a baseball a long way is on PEDs? Got it. Matt Stairs hit it out of PNC. Is he a PED guy too?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2015, 10:30:36 AM »
So, basically anyone who can hit a baseball a long way is on PEDs? Got it. Matt Stairs hit it out of PNC. Is he a PED guy too?

Absolutely he is.

You think it's just some coincidence that 183 of his career 265 home runs (70%) came in 8 years out of his 20 year professional career (40%) right in the heart of the steroid ear?  That's 23 home runs/year during those 8 years, compared to the 7 home runs/year for the other 12 years of his career.

Also probably a coincidence that this happened when he was 28 years old.  Because most professional athletes usually take until they're nearly 30 to start performing at their best.

He went from not hitting over 10 home runs in a season until he was 29 to hitting no less than 16 (maxing out at 38) from the time he was 29-36 years old.  That is not normal at all.

I have a bridge that I'd like to sell you, too.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 10:45:15 AM by wadesworld »

SWARM!

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2015, 10:36:23 AM »
Yes it is.  I have a gold one and white one as well.

Eventually will end up in a Warrior quilt or something else my talented wife creates.

Yeah but how's her rack?

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2015, 10:46:50 AM »

He's always had the stuff and the work ethic. The only thing that changed was his fastball being thrown better.

I know it's still the offseason, but let's chill with the hyperbole.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2015, 10:55:08 AM »
So far you've called a poster dumb, lazy, and uninformed.

You're the tops at Internet arguing, sir.

I don't know, man. I don't think that MLB's PED testing is all that great.

I didn't call the poster dumb, lazy and uninformed.  I called what he posted/insinuated about Arrieta dumb, lazy, and uninformed. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2015, 10:55:44 AM »
Absolutely he is.

You think it's just some coincidence that 183 of his career 265 home runs (70%) came in 8 years out of his 20 year professional career (40%) right in the heart of the steroid ear?  That's 23 home runs/year during those 8 years, compared to the 7 home runs/year for the other 12 years of his career.

Also probably a coincidence that this happened when he was 28 years old.  Because most professional athletes usually take until they're nearly 30 to start performing at their best.

He went from not hitting over 10 home runs in a season until he was 29 to hitting no less than 16 (maxing out at 38) from the time he was 29-36 years old.  That is not normal at all.

I have a bridge that I'd like to sell you, too.

Is there anyone you DON'T think is on PEDs?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2015, 11:08:34 AM »
He's always had the stuff and the work ethic. The only thing that changed was his fastball being thrown better.

I know it's still the offseason, but let's chill with the hyperbole.

Not to mention Arrieta's pitching approach and pitch variety changed IMMEDIATELY when he got to the Cubs.  Its even called out in the Grantland piece.  He always had good stuff, he was just very inconsistent.  You can still see flashes, for as dominant as he is, he still loses quite a few breaking balls, not hangers, but pitches that never turn over and come way inside.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2015, 11:12:48 AM »
Is there anyone you DON'T think is on PEDs?

Scooter Gennett and Jean Segura, unfortunately.

But seriously, you think Matt Stairs DIDN'T take PEDs?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2015, 02:05:02 PM »
Did Wade just call into ESPN1000 today? Someone called in earlier stating emphatically that Cubs hitters were on a PED program.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2015, 02:46:01 PM »
Did Wade just call into ESPN1000 today? Someone called in earlier stating emphatically that Cubs hitters were on a PED program.

?  I think I said 1 of the Cubs players has used PEDs.  Unless I missed something and Matt Stairs is currently playing for the Chicago Cubs?  Please correct me if that's wrong.  I'll hang up and listen.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 02:48:10 PM by wadesworld »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2015, 02:49:53 PM »
Scooter Gennett and Jean Segura, unfortunately.

But seriously, you think Matt Stairs DIDN'T take PEDs?

I don't know if Stairs took PEDs, but if he did he sure didn't take the right ones!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2015, 03:06:17 PM »
I don't know if Stairs took PEDs, but if he did he sure didn't take the right ones!

I'd argue he absolutely took the right ones.  The guy was 28 years old and couldn't stick in the MLB.  Suddenly he's hitting 23 home runs per year at the age of 29 and it lasts through the age of 36.  It'd be like if steroids helped as much in basketball as they do in baseball and Jerel McNeal decided to take some today and suddenly for the next 10 years he averages 12 and 5 after never doing anything in the NBA.  I'd say that would be a pretty nice jump for him, just like it was for Matt Stairs.  Certainly made a nice chunk of change for him.

But hey, if you guys think I'm just some big time skeptic for thinking that at 29 some guy magically finds his way, right in the middle of the steroid era, maybe you're right.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 03:07:51 PM by wadesworld »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2015, 03:33:52 PM »
?  I think I said 1 of the Cubs players has used PEDs.  Unless I missed something and Matt Stairs is currently playing for the Chicago Cubs?  Please correct me if that's wrong.  I'll hang up and listen.

It was a joke. Simmer Mr. Hot Take.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2015, 03:49:42 PM »
I'd argue he absolutely took the right ones.  The guy was 28 years old and couldn't stick in the MLB.  Suddenly he's hitting 23 home runs per year at the age of 29 and it lasts through the age of 36.  It'd be like if steroids helped as much in basketball as they do in baseball and Jerel McNeal decided to take some today and suddenly for the next 10 years he averages 12 and 5 after never doing anything in the NBA.  I'd say that would be a pretty nice jump for him, just like it was for Matt Stairs.  Certainly made a nice chunk of change for him.

But hey, if you guys think I'm just some big time skeptic for thinking that at 29 some guy magically finds his way, right in the middle of the steroid era, maybe you're right.

Sometimes a player's biggest obstacle is not being given an opportunity. Stairs was the Eastern League MVP in 2001 so he could always hit. Before that 8 year window to which you keep referring, he never got consistent playing time at the Major League level. Bill James has even argued that if Stairs was put in the right situation from the get-go, he would be a Hall of Famer.

To continue with your basketball analogy...Mike James went undrafted, made his NBA debut at age 26, played for 5 teams in his first 4 seasons and averaged 9 points and 3.5 assts on 41.1% shooting.  At age 30, he averaged over 20 points and nearly 6 asts on 46.9% shooting. PEDs or opportunity?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 03:53:05 PM by MerrittsMustache »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2015, 09:43:10 PM »
Hey so, back on track here...

According to Zach Zaidman, the Chicos shirt was being worn by George McCaskey.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2015, 08:29:08 AM »

You can purchase on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARQUETTE-WARRIORS-T-SHIRT-/191325697703?var=&hash=item2c8be676a7

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2015, 03:51:17 PM »

You sound a lot like a Ryan Braun fan, circa 2011.
Look, I have no idea whether Arrieta is a juicer. Despite your bravado and claims of superior knowledge, neither do you.
But the fact is, a middling pitcher barely hanging on to a major-league career (remember, he was optioned twice to Triple A in 2013 before being traded to the Cubs) suddenly becoming dominant in his late 20s is virtually unheard of, and in this day and age cause for questions ... whether or not it hurts your feels.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2015, 04:21:22 PM »
You sound a lot like a Ryan Braun fan, circa 2011.
Look, I have no idea whether Arrieta is a juicer. Despite your bravado and claims of superior knowledge, neither do you.
But the fact is, a middling pitcher barely hanging on to a major-league career (remember, he was optioned twice to Triple A in 2013 before being traded to the Cubs) suddenly becoming dominant in his late 20s is virtually unheard of, and in this day and age cause for questions ... whether or not it hurts your feels.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/jake-arrieta-is-not-your-normal-ace/

Seems changing your mechanics can do a lot.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2015, 04:37:09 PM »

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/jake-arrieta-is-not-your-normal-ace/

Seems changing your mechanics can do a lot.

Just like Sammy Sosa changed his swing and plate approach prior to the 1998 season?

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/09/01/sports/baseball-homers-come-with-patience-neck-neck-with-mcgwire-sosa-knocking-them.html

Again, none of us know how Arrieta became elite so late in his career. I think we can all agree it's highly unusual. If you think the question of PEDs is somehow automatically invalid or illegitimate, you're every bit the naive homer as the Cubs fans who defended Sosa to the very end.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2015, 05:11:12 PM »
Just like Sammy Sosa changed his swing and plate approach prior to the 1998 season?

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/09/01/sports/baseball-homers-come-with-patience-neck-neck-with-mcgwire-sosa-knocking-them.html

Again, none of us know how Arrieta became elite so late in his career. I think we can all agree it's highly unusual. If you think the question of PEDs is somehow automatically invalid or illegitimate, you're every bit the naive homer as the Cubs fans who defended Sosa to the very end.

Did you actually even read the articles that were posted or did you just immediately decide look one up on Sosa?  I could share some additional articles regarding Arrieta but I assume it would be pointless. 

First of all, this is not "so late" in Arrieta's career.  He is square in his prime right now at 29 years old.  He was an excellent pitcher last year and began showing some progress with the Cubs back in 2013 after he was called up after the trade.  This is not the case of a pitcher who had never seen any success who suddenly begins to dominate. 

Arrieta always had a world of potential and was a top prospect for the Orioles.  The problem was he could never harness it.  The pitching infrastructure and instruction with the Orioles didn't mesh with Arrieta.  They had a very cookie cutter approach that was used for all of their young prospects (Arrieta, Tillman, Matusz, etc.). 

This IS all about repeating his mechanics and command of his pitches.  He has always thrown hard and had very good stuff - he was just never able to consistently harness it.  This is not the case of a guy who suddenly gained 3 -5 mph on his fastball in his early to mid-30s from out of nowhere. 

Not everyone's career progression is the same.  Arrieta was able to find success in his late 20s.  And because of that he should be suspected of juicing?  I'll be the first to eat crow if it is ever proven true but for now it's nothing more than ridiculous speculation.  That's not naivete whatsoever.  It's a guy with elite talent who works hard finally figuring it out.   

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2015, 05:35:42 PM »
Did you actually even read the articles that were posted or did you just immediately decide look one up on Sosa?  I could share some additional articles regarding Arrieta but I assume it would be pointless. 

First of all, this is not "so late" in Arrieta's career.  He is square in his prime right now at 29 years old.  He was an excellent pitcher last year and began showing some progress with the Cubs back in 2013 after he was called up after the trade.  This is not the case of a pitcher who had never seen any success who suddenly begins to dominate. 

Arrieta always had a world of potential and was a top prospect for the Orioles.  The problem was he could never harness it.  The pitching infrastructure and instruction with the Orioles didn't mesh with Arrieta.  They had a very cookie cutter approach that was used for all of their young prospects (Arrieta, Tillman, Matusz, etc.). 

This IS all about repeating his mechanics and command of his pitches.  He has always thrown hard and had very good stuff - he was just never able to consistently harness it.  This is not the case of a guy who suddenly gained 3 -5 mph on his fastball in his early to mid-30s from out of nowhere. 

Not everyone's career progression is the same.  Arrieta was able to find success in his late 20s.  And because of that he should be suspected of juicing?  I'll be the first to eat crow if it is ever proven true but for now it's nothing more than ridiculous speculation.  That's not naivete whatsoever.  It's a guy with elite talent who works hard finally figuring it out.

I actually think Arrieta is a far less likely candidate than a lot of players to have used PEDs.  Having said that, this is exactly the case of a pitcher who never had any success who suddenly begins to dominate.

He went from having ERAs in the 4.66-6.20 ERA with a WHIP between 1.33-1.77 and WAR between -1.0 to 0.6 from ages 24-27 and then at age 28 went to 2.53 ERA, 0.99 WHIP, and WAR of 5.3.  That's essentially the very definition of a pitcher who never had any success to suddenly dominating.

He has had a relatively consistent average fastball speed, but his slider speed did go from 85 MPH in his rookie year to 90 MPH the past 2 years.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2015, 05:43:41 PM »
I don't honestly know the answer, but other than pointing to pitching stats, would there be any other indicators that a pitcher might be on PEDs? The obvious, of course, is average pitch speed. Any others?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2015, 05:57:09 PM »
I don't honestly know the answer, but other than pointing to pitching stats, would there be any other indicators that a pitcher might be on PEDs? The obvious, of course, is average pitch speed. Any others?

1. How quickly they're able to recover from a DL stint.

2. How quickly they are willing to sign a long-term contract.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2015, 06:12:17 PM »
I actually think Arrieta is a far less likely candidate than a lot of players to have used PEDs.  Having said that, this is exactly the case of a pitcher who never had any success who suddenly begins to dominate.

He went from having ERAs in the 4.66-6.20 ERA with a WHIP between 1.33-1.77 and WAR between -1.0 to 0.6 from ages 24-27 and then at age 28 went to 2.53 ERA, 0.99 WHIP, and WAR of 5.3.  That's essentially the very definition of a pitcher who never had any success to suddenly dominating.

He has had a relatively consistent average fastball speed, but his slider speed did go from 85 MPH in his rookie year to 90 MPH the past 2 years.

He also had a 3.66 ERA and a 1.12 WHIP with the Cubs in 9 starts after the trade in 2013.  There's been a clear progression since his acquisition and it's too bad some thoughts jump to PEDs instead of a guy putting it together.  As for his slider speed, I won't pretend to know about that but the change in velocity could be mechanics, grip, release point, added strength, etc.  As a Cubs fan I am biased but I've watched him pitch for 2 and a half years now and have listened to him speak many times and I just don't see it.  If Kyle Hendricks comes back throwin 94 next year then we can talk. 

feedback