collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Disappointed with MU tonight  (Read 5013 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Disappointed with MU tonight
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2015, 10:36:00 AM »
Marquette may be deemohasizing fairs.

"Deemohasizing"

Is that a Zizzo Group Case Study for deemphasizing, dehumanizing, and down sizing the college recruiting process?

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2015, 11:09:36 AM »
Marquette wasn't on my radar one iota until I went to a college fair in a nearby town early in my senior year of high school.

Similar to my situation

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2015, 11:10:54 AM »
Chicos. Glossy brochures are 90% about the parents. Students don't pay much attention at all. Our brochures here are designed with parents in mind.

Look there are very logical reasons why Marquette may be deemohasizing fairs. Cost/benefit...not a geographic priority...better use of other vehicles. Don't just through the "brand" word out there as if Marquette hasn't thought of it.

I have no doubt....parents want their kids to be at a place they feel the will be safe, learn, grow up....oh, and the parents are usually footing the bill.   No doubt at all the brochures and fairs are largely for parents.  But as you state, 10%....

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2015, 12:14:31 PM »
Haven't applications gone up every year for over a decade?
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2015, 02:14:58 PM »
I understand it is the second best Jesuit prep school on the east coast...
Thats like saying MU is the 2nd best college in Wisconsin, simply not true....but if bchigh is 2, then who's the best??

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2015, 02:24:40 PM »
Thats like saying MU is the 2nd best college in Wisconsin, simply not true....but if bchigh is 2, then who's the best??

Keefe went to Georgetown Prep. 'Nuff said.
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2015, 06:51:23 PM »
Haven't applications gone up every year for over a decade?

Yes.  But since they didn't go to Chico's local fair, they don't know anything about their brand.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2015, 07:05:58 PM »

Yes.  But since they didn't go to Chico's local fair, they don't know anything about their brand.

That's cute....not what I said. In fact, I said I was disappointed that other midwest and east coast schools came, including some that would fit MU's size, etc. 

To each their own.  Living out here in California, the constant is "where is Marquette"?  It would be nice to have a larger, national profile.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2015, 07:09:10 PM »
In my time branding was marketing 101

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2015, 07:24:27 PM »
In my time branding was marketing 101

It still is part of marketing 101, no doubt about it.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2015, 11:29:03 PM »
Similar to my situation

I thought Marquette was your fall back after University of Phoenix turned you down...

Death on call

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2015, 08:43:52 AM »
Marquette wasn't on my radar one iota until I went to a college fair in a nearby town early in my senior year of high school.

Similar to my situation

Same with me.  Saw at a college fair and recognized the name from their basketball team and it helped my parents held good impression of the school which only furthered my intrigue. 
Worked in a visit to see the Marquette before Sr. year when visiting my Great Aunt & Uncle in Chicago.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2015, 09:04:32 AM »
Things were different back in 1978. Ya coulda written for a college catalogue, ai na?

Well, as I said, MU wasn't even on my radar one iota. It wasn't until I went to a college fair in New Haven, CT, and stopped to talk for a minute -- that turned into a half-hour -- with the MU rep there that I started considering it. And she gave me the college catalogue.

Even though the Internet obviously opens things up tremendously, a prospective student STILL can't consider every college and STILL could use a college fair to discover a school he/she might not have considered at all.

Having said that, I recognize that Marquette probably can't have reps at every one of these things for logistical reasons.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2015, 09:24:09 AM »
Same with me.  Saw at a college fair and recognized the name from their basketball team and it helped my parents held good impression of the school which only furthered my intrigue. 
Worked in a visit to see the Marquette before Sr. year when visiting my Great Aunt & Uncle in Chicago.

Well, as I said, MU wasn't even on my radar one iota. It wasn't until I went to a college fair in New Haven, CT, and stopped to talk for a minute -- that turned into a half-hour -- with the MU rep there that I started considering it. And she gave me the college catalogue.

Even though the Internet obviously opens things up tremendously, a prospective student STILL can't consider every college and STILL could use a college fair to discover a school he/she might not have considered at all.

Similar to my situation

Bringing up your anecdotal experiences from 30 years ago really isn't terribly relevant.  *If* Marquette is deemphasizing these types of events (and I don't know if they are), it is because they don't find them to be productive.  Furthermore *if* that is their strategy, it is hard to argue with it.  It has been successful.

I got interested in Marquette to start when they sent me a postcard as an SAT applicant.  Most schools don't do that either.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2015, 09:32:56 AM »

That's cute....not what I said. In fact, I said I was disappointed that other midwest and east coast schools came, including some that would fit MU's size, etc. 

To each their own.  Living out here in California, the constant is "where is Marquette"?  It would be nice to have a larger, national profile.

No you didn't say they didn't know anything about their brand, but you did say this:

"Still like to have MU's brand out there especially in light of seeing some of the other schools we are lumped in with..."

and

"Impossible to know, but let's not forget that there is a reason why glossy brochures are printed, fairs happen.  It is branding, a chance to put materials into a kids hand."

and

"No doubt at all the brochures and fairs are largely for parents.  But as you state, 10%...."

You certainly made the implication.  Look, I do branding for a higher education institution pretty much every day of my life.  "Branding" isn't attending college fairs or printing a brochure.  "Branding" is the creation of an authentic image of your institution in your customer's, potential customer's, and the general public's mind.  Fairs, brochures are simply tactics.  Marquette *may* have chosen to deemphasize some of these tactics to emphasize others.  And again, it is hard to argue with the results.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2015, 10:27:48 PM »
I thought Marquette was your fall back after University of Phoenix turned you down...

Nah.  Came down to UC Irvine, UC San Diego and MU.  I obviously chose the worst of the three academic schools, but enjoyed the experience immensely, chance to escape California for awhile (though back then the state was still decent) and try something new.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2015, 11:43:24 PM »

Bringing up your anecdotal experiences from 30 years ago really isn't terribly relevant.  *If* Marquette is deemphasizing these types of events (and I don't know if they are), it is because they don't find them to be productive.  Furthermore *if* that is their strategy, it is hard to argue with it.  It has been successful.

I got interested in Marquette to start when they sent me a postcard as an SAT applicant.  Most schools don't do that either.

Everything from 30 years ago was better.

Now get off of my lawn!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2015, 11:45:08 PM »
Everything from 30 years ago was better.

Now get off of my lawn!

Everything...definitely not. From what I've seen, the J school sucked 30 years ago.   :D

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2015, 12:30:07 AM »
Nah.  Came down to UC Irvine, UC San Diego and MU.  I obviously chose the worst of the three academic schools, but enjoyed the experience immensely, chance to escape California for awhile (though back then the state was still decent) and try something new.

My dreams were shattered when I couldn't draw the pirate on the matchbook cover so I slunk off to Milwaukee...

Death on call