collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 21 Best College Burgers in America  (Read 6705 times)

MUWarrior4Life

• Team Captain
  • Pro Deo Et Patria
21 Best College Burgers in America
« on: October 02, 2015, 10:33:17 AM »
Marquette
Sobelman’s
Milwaukee, WI
What you’re getting: The Sobelman
Sobelman’s is undeniably Milwaukee, which means the beer selection is enviable (think selections from local breweries like nearby New Glarus or Madison’s Ale Asylum) and the burgers are giant and do not skimp on the cheese or bacon. If it’s your first time, go with the namesake: it’s far from regular, layering American, Swiss, and cheddar on top of bacon, fried onions, and jalapeños. Then, just go ahead an transfer to Marquette: you’re going to want to try the rest of this menu.

University of Wisconsin
Dotty Dumpling’s Dowry
Madison, WI
What you’re getting: The Melting Pot
Madison’s best burger joint has changed locations four times (once from… Des Moines!), began as a trinket shop that sold zero cheeseburgers, and has a name that makes approximately negative sense. It also has the Melting Pot, an appropriately over-cheesed (cheddar, Swiss, provolone) meat mound stacked with bacon and touched with the joint’s trademark English garlic sauce. But don’t overlook other “yep, we’re definitely in Wisconsin” options like Stanley’s Blue Ribbon (cream cheese, BBQ sauce, and an onion ring) and the new Green & Gold with deep-fried pickles and bacon mayo. Whichever you go with, just remember: cheese curds are not optional.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: 21 Best College Burgers in America
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 10:58:38 AM »
Generally one would post a link?
Maigh Eo for Sam

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 11:41:18 AM »
This is a credible list - they list Blimpy Burger in Ann Arbor. I have never had Sobelmans but Blimpy's would be hard to beat.

Death on call

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 12:02:41 PM »
Soblemans is all right. It does have some national credibility too. I was back in chicago and was talking to one of my dad's friends and when I brought up marquette, he brought up Soblemans. I personally prefer Oscars.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 12:08:55 PM »
Soblemans is all right. It does have some national credibility too. I was back in chicago and was talking to one of my dad's friends and when I brought up marquette, he brought up Soblemans. I personally prefer Oscars.

Pretty sure the guy who made Oscars used to be a chef at Soblemans or Bombers years ago.
Maigh Eo for Sam

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 12:23:13 PM »
He was a chef at sobelmans, and dave sobelman helped him get started.  Oscars is very similar but has some fun combos (chorizo and taco spices on a burger are good, who knew?).  Both are good.  Bombers is meh.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 12:27:46 PM »
He was a chef at sobelmans, and dave sobelman helped him get started.  Oscars is very similar but has some fun combos (chorizo and taco spices on a burger are good, who knew?).  Both are good.  Bombers is meh.

I love bombers, it's gone down over the years though. I've only had oscars once and I was very drunk but I remember the big "O" living up to its name in every possible way. Sobleman's is always good though. I love what they did with what used to be Angelo's.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 12:37:10 PM »
I've been to Sobelman's and Rotier's (Vanderbilt).  Both worthy of being on the list.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 12:55:11 PM »
This is a credible list - they list Blimpy Burger in Ann Arbor. I have never had Sobelmans but Blimpy's would be hard to beat.

keefe, would you please 'borrow' a plane and get your arse back to brew city?  It's been FAR too long for you.

MUWarrior4Life

• Team Captain
  • Pro Deo Et Patria
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 01:37:55 PM »
Generally one would post a link?

True Bagpiping, True

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 02:19:57 PM »
Sobleman's was better when they weren't mass producing burgers.  They have declined imo.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 02:25:49 PM »
Sobleman's was better when they weren't mass producing burgers.  They have declined imo.

Agreed. Still pretty good, but not like it was when they only had the joint in the valley.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2015, 02:26:39 PM »

I really miss their burgers with the pork on them. The piggyback and the Conway I think they were called. Haven't really gone there too much since the menu change.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2015, 02:27:50 PM »
I think Oscar's is best in Milwaukee, with Jake's in second in Brookfield and Sobelman's 3rd.  Can't go wrong with any of them.

I would definitely recommend Dotty's out in Madison, go there every time I go to Madison.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2015, 02:57:50 PM »
Capt. Mike's in Kenosha is worth a drive IMO

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2015, 06:39:40 PM »
4th base was once worthy.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2015, 11:19:01 AM »
soblemans just opened a place out in mequon on port and donges bay-it's been jumpin from the start
don't...don't don't don't don't

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2015, 01:18:18 PM »
4th base was once worthy.
[/

Any y'all not enjoyin' gettin' yo rocks off there, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2015, 05:11:15 PM »
A few years back there was talk of soblemans opening in chicago. What ever happened to that?
Maigh Eo for Sam

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2015, 06:26:29 AM »
A few years back there was talk of soblemans opening in chicago. What ever happened to that?

they were going to make it a gun free zone, so dave s said no f'ing way man ;D
don't...don't don't don't don't

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2015, 08:10:05 AM »
they were going to make it a gun free zone, so dave s said no f'ing way man ;D

You woke up at 6:30am on a Sunday to type that?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2015, 02:25:54 PM »
I think soblemans is really solid but oscars is better imo. Definitely agree with Bartleys in Harvard square, and I'd also add Charlie's. Eagles Deli near BC is another great college burger spot.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2015, 02:44:07 PM »
I think Oscar's is best in Milwaukee, with Jake's in second in Brookfield and Sobelman's 3rd.  Can't go wrong with any of them.

I would definitely recommend Dotty's out in Madison, go there every time I go to Madison.

I personally would have Jake's 1 and Oscar's 2, but that's splitting hairs.  In my opinion, those 2 are head and shoulders better than what Sobleman's is now that they have to churn food out so fast to accommodate for so many people.  Back when it wasn't as well known and there was only 1 location, it would've competed with Jake's and Oscar's, but now it doesn't quite live up to that in my opinion.  But it still kicks ass.

I only go with Jake's because of the cheese sauce.  In my opinion, that is the best ingredient on any burger of the 3.  That's the difference maker for me.

It's insulting to even mention Bombers with the 3 above.  I would put Elsa's 10 steps above Bombers, and Elsa's isn't even close to Sobleman's.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2015, 02:47:51 PM »
I personally would have Jake's 1 and Oscar's 2, but that's splitting hairs.  In my opinion, those 2 are head and shoulders better than what Sobleman's is now that they have to churn food out so fast to accommodate for so many people.  Back when it wasn't as well known and there was only 1 location, it would've competed with Jake's and Oscar's, but now it doesn't quite live up to that in my opinion.  But it still kicks ass.

I only go with Jake's because of the cheese sauce.  In my opinion, that is the best ingredient on any burger of the 3.  That's the difference maker for me.

It's insulting to even mention Bombers with the 3 above.  I would put Elsa's 10 steps above Bombers, and Elsa's isn't even close to Sobleman's.

Isn't this article about burger joints on or very near campus?  Most, if not all, of the other places you are mentioning wouldn't qualify.
Have some patience, FFS.

feedback