[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: How Bad Are The Chicago Bears?  (Read 7056 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: How Bad Are The Chicago Bears?
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2015, 01:20:56 PM »
Also the stat that was presented last on MNF.  Of the Packers 53 players, only three of them have been on another team's regular season roster.  (And the Packers drafted and developed one of those guys - James Jones.)  That is really an incredible statistic.  It shows how good they are at identifying and coaching up talent.  And yes the scheme consistency matters.

Actually 2. Kuhn is a Packer except for a cup of coffee with the Steelers.  Only Peppers is imported right now.  Pretty special.

Some guys out there criticize Ted for reasons I can't grasp.  I guess it can be argued that he could be more willing to 'plug in' in an emergency but the Packers are regularly in a position to make SB runs.  I think it can be argued that two years in a row that was partially derailed by Rodgers injuries.  Let's hope he stays clean all year this time.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2015, 02:15:35 PM »
If the bears are in the top 5, they probably should and probably will take a QB.  However, the last thing they should do is throw a rookie QB into the fire on a poor team.  Let him learn for a year.  That ties an unreasonable amount up at the QB stop for one or two years, but maybe worth it.

Cutler isn't great, but he isn't terrible either.  If he was surrounded by a solid team, on defense and offense, he could be serviceable.  Was McMahon better?  I'd say no, but he had a stellar D and just had to manage the game.   If you put a rookie QB in place of Cutler on this team, the rookie would probably have worse results and then you'd have to worry about injury and stunted long term development. 

Maybe I'm way off, and I'm sure there are a lot of studies that I'm not aware of, but it seems to me that too may rookie QB's are thrown to the wolves on less than solid teams and either sink or swim.  Some may excel, but the risk is permanently stunting the development of a QB that would excel if gradually brought into the mix.  I can't imagine being a rookie QB, with the game moving too fast, not having a full grasp of the offense, and being on a bad team with limited weapons and a poor O line.  Recipe for post traumatic stress and potential stunted development/low confidence.

A rookie QB that can pull the ball in and run, seems like the type that most likely can excel in that first year.  Just the ability to run if they feel pressure and don't know the offense well enough or it it moves to fast to check down for open receivers.  If they don't get hurt doing so.  The guys that develop into true QB's with the patience and ability to check down to that 3rd and 4th receiver, without just tucking and running, is probably the type of QB that you want to develop for the long term.

As an old time Packer fan, look what happened to Lynn Dickey when he was forced to drop back and pass, and get hit over and over... a shell of a QB at the end.  And he was a veteran.

Not all QB situations are created equal. The Bears' primary issues are on defense. If a rookie QB has Jeffery, White, Royal and Bennett (big "if" on Bennett) along with a decent running game (even sans Forte), a solid o-line and a very good OC, he'd be in a much better position than most rookie QBs.

Many rookie QBs who are busts  were going to be busts whether they played right away or not. Others, like Rodgers, were going to be good no matter when and where they played. There's also a gray area of guys who never quite made it but were not quite busts. Whether it's being thrown into a terrible situation (David Carr) or having a revolving door of coordinators (Campbell, Cutler, Smith), some guys seem to have the skills but can't quite get it together.

What would Alex Smith's career look like if he had dropped to GB instead of Rodgers? Would David Carr have become a Pro Bowler if he sat behind Tony Banks for a year or two? If Denver had kept Shanahan, would he have gotten Cutler to live up to his potential?

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2015, 02:33:09 PM »
Would rather have this in the top 5

"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2015, 02:36:34 PM »
The have to Raiders at home this weekend.

#21 on the power rankings.

Lose this and they are getting the #1 pick.

Raiders aren't terrible though. Carr looks much improved, Murray and Cooper look legit and Crabtree is a good second option. I don't know how good their defense is but that's not gonna matter too much with jimmy Clausen starting.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2015, 03:15:09 PM »
Like someone else mentioned, i Don't know if there are studies out there, but I'd have to imagine it would be much better for a rookie QB to walk into a situation where they weren't expected to be the starter day 1. Further, if they had a solid team already and were surrounded by a long term coaching staff/system. Otherwise you end up like David Carr or Jay Cutler - one was expected to be the man on a crappy team, the other has had so many different staffs/systems that it no doubt hurt them.

So, when we examine the Bears next year, do they have either/both of those situations? You could maybe argue they have a decent squad around the QB on offense. I don't think you can argue the same for coaching. Is Fox going to be around that much longer? Is there a successor to Fox on the team and will he run the same system? What is Pace's philosophy with system/coaching?

All questions that need to be answered before we jump on the "BEARS NEED TO DRAFT QB" train.

Either build up a solid roster, then draft a day 1 starting QB who can develop within the team without being the man. Or draft a QB who can sit for a few years while the rest of the roster is built up. Those would be my 2 preferences.

Yes, you can have an Eli, Big Ben, Rivers, Luck, etc. But more often you end up with a David Carr, Blake Bortles, EJ Manuel, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, etc

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2015, 04:22:22 PM »
I will make 2 positive comments about the Bears this year.

1. They were arguably the best team at moving the ball against the Cardinals and Packers while Jay was still in the game.

2. The defense seems to be improving each game - after playing against 3 super bowl contending teams.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2015, 05:21:45 PM »
I will make 2 positive comments about the Bears this year.

1. They were arguably the best team at moving the ball against the Cardinals and Packers while Jay was still in the game.

2. The defense seems to be improving each game - after playing against 3 super bowl contending teams.

Dating back to last year, the bears are on an eight game losing that ties a franchise record.  Next week they have to beat a now good Raiders team at home to not set a new mark.

The bears are 3 - 13 in their last 16 games, The worst record in the NFL over the last 16 games.

The Bears ran only two plays in Seattle territory.

Torture the arguments all your want, they are the worst team in football.  They won't go 0 - 16 but they will have the first pick.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2015, 05:26:22 PM »
Dating back to last year, the bears are on an eight game losing that ties a franchise record.  Next week they have to beat a now good Raiders team at home to not set a new mark.

The bears are 3 - 13 in their last 16 games, The worst record in the NFL over the last 16 games.

The Bears ran only two plays in Seattle territory.

Torture the arguments all your want, they are the worst team in football.  They won't go 0 - 16 but they will have the first pick.

Understanding the record, I think you also have to take into account the complete overhaul of the coaching staff and some of the roster. Still makes them 0-3 this season, I agree.

Two plays in Seattle territory is AWFUL. Of course, missing the starting QB, both starting receivers, etc.

Ultimately, yes, they are terrible and likely will get the first pick. Doesn't mean there aren't good things happening as well. I'm clearly not arguing that they'll be a playoff team or anything as insane.

warriorchick

• All American
Have some patience, FFS.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2015, 09:54:57 PM »
Not quite but close enough ...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings

They played #2, #3 and #7 so far.

BUT ... the bears are dead last in this week's power rankings.

Am I reading that right? How are the Seahawks #7 this week at 1-2, (not even touching last week at being #7 at 0-2)

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2015, 10:00:36 PM »
Good new for the Bears are a lot of the bottom ten teams have QBs already.

NO-Brees
TB-Winston
Tenn-Marcus
Det-Stafford
9ers- Kaperick (He's in Cutler's boat but younger and just got paid)

They could be picking fourth and still get the franchise QB.

jesmu84

• All American

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2015, 10:20:02 PM »
At least they didn't turn the ball over!

That was my initial reaction when I heard the 10-for-10 stat, too!

I remember a game in San Fran about 15 years ago in which the McNown-led offense never got the ball past midfield and the defense gave up a record 20 catches to T.O.

So it could be worse.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2015, 11:12:18 PM »
Warren Buffett likes to say when a company with a bad reputation hires a manager with a good reputation, the company's reputation wins out.

The Bears will ruin John Fox, Fox will not save them.

The bears are the worst team in football.  On the third head coach in four years, and have been to the playoffs 5 times in the last 28 years.

They will forever be one of the leagues most pitiful franchises until (sorry to say it) Virginia McCaskey dies and the family sells the team.

Until then, watch them continue to take high first round pricks and watch them do nothing.

See ...

2015 Kevin White
2011 Gabe Carimi
2008 Chris Williams
2005 Cedric Benson
2003 Rex Grossman
2003 Michael Haynes
2002 Marc Columbo (who did well at Dallas, after the Bears released him)
2001 David Terrell
1999 Cade McNown
1998 Curtis Enis
(I could keep going back to Salaam in 1994, John Thierry 1994, Alnozo Spellman 1992 and Stan Thomas 1991 but you get the point)

To be fair ...
2013 Kyle Long
2007 Greg Olsen (who only became good after they traded him)
2004 Tommie Harris
2000 Brian Urlacher

How can an organization miss this much with first round picks?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2015, 11:37:24 PM »
Warren Buffett likes to say when a company with a bad reputation hires a manager with a good reputation, the company's reputation wins out.

The bears are the worst team in football.  On the third head coach in four years, and have been to the playoffs 5 times in the last 28 years.

They will forever be one of the leagues most pitiful franchises until (sorry to say it) Virginia McCaskey dies and the family sells the team.

Until then, watch them continue to take high first round pricks and watch them do nothing.

See ...

2015 Kevin White
2011 Gabe Carimi
2008 Chris Williams
2005 Cedric Benson
2003 Rex Grossman
2003 Michael Haynes
2001 David Terrell
1999 Cade McNown
1998 Curtis Enis
(I could keep going back to Salaam in 1994, John Thierry 1994, Alnozo Spellman 1992 and Stan Thomas 1991 but you get the point)

To be fair ...
2013 Kyle Long
2004 Tommie Harris
2000 Brian Urlacher

Makes me depressed. Thanks

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2015, 03:45:31 AM »
The bears have more success at picking 2nd rounders. Forte, Hester and Alshon come to mind.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2015, 08:26:22 AM »

See ...

2015 Kevin White
2011 Gabe Carimi
2008 Chris Williams
2005 Cedric Benson
2003 Rex Grossman
2003 Michael Haynes
2001 David Terrell
1999 Cade McNown
1998 Curtis Enis

To be fair ...
2013 Kyle Long
2004 Tommie Harris
2000 Brian Urlacher

Olsen was very good with the Bears but TEs don't fit into Mike Martz's offense so they dealt him for a 3rd Rounder. Not a good move.

Also, Kyle Long was a good pick, but he could have been had in the 2nd Round...where they took the recently-traded Jon Bostic.

Looking at that this though, it's amazing they managed to make the playoffs 5 times in 28 years!

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2015, 08:59:03 AM »
This is what happens to crappy football orgainzations.

‏@Ticketmaster Sep 22
Epic Starts Here! Great Seats to Chicago Bears Games Are Always Available.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2015, 09:11:23 AM »
That was my initial reaction when I heard the 10-for-10 stat, too!

I remember a game in San Fran about 15 years ago in which the McNown-led offense never got the ball past midfield and the defense gave up a record 20 catches to T.O.

So it could be worse.

When 3 and out is never enough.

www.FireJohnShoop.com
I still have my shirt.

Never forget.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2015, 09:33:35 AM »

See ...

2015 Kevin White
2011 Gabe Carimi
2008 Chris Williams
2005 Cedric Benson
2003 Rex Grossman
2003 Michael Haynes
2001 David Terrell
1999 Cade McNown
1998 Curtis Enis

To be fair ...
2013 Kyle Long
2004 Tommie Harris
2000 Brian Urlacher

Don't think we can write off Kevin White.  Yet.
Why isn't McClellin on that list?  He should be.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2015, 10:05:21 AM »
Olsen was very good with the Bears but TEs don't fit into Mike Martz's offense so they dealt him for a 3rd Rounder. Not a good move.

Also, Kyle Long was a good pick, but he could have been had in the 2nd Round...where they took the recently-traded Jon Bostic.

Looking at that this though, it's amazing they managed to make the playoffs 5 times in 28 years!

Obviously a different sport and you build teams differently in the NBA, but this list is nothing compared to the run the Bucks had with their first round picks.  Holy cow was it brutal.  Luckily, there have been some better picks made recently and it's been part of the turn around.

The first 2 are sadly some of the better picks in this list:
2010 Larry Sanders
2009 Brandon Jennings (Thanks, Pistons, for making this pick work out)
2008 Joe Alexander
2007 Yi Jianlian
2005 Andrew Bogut (at #1 overall)
2004 no first round pick
2003 TJ Ford
2002 Marcus Haslip
2001 no first round pick
2000 Jason Collier
1999 no first round pick
1998 traded the rights to Dirk Nowitzki for Tractor Trailer
1998 Pat Garrity
1997 Danny Fortson

Sorry for the tangent, but wow.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2015, 10:10:31 AM »

See ...

2015 Kevin White
2011 Gabe Carimi
2008 Chris Williams
2005 Cedric Benson
2003 Rex Grossman
2003 Michael Haynes
2001 David Terrell
1999 Cade McNown
1998 Curtis Enis

To be fair ...
2013 Kyle Long
2004 Tommie Harris
2000 Brian Urlacher

That is a scary list.

And you are almost surely right that Fox will end up being just another disposable Bears coach.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2015, 10:14:06 AM »
It's interesting when you look at the art of drafting across all sports. As a White Sox fan, I get sick looking at how incredibly awful they've been at drafting.

I think when you look at it, the successful organizations have management committed to a specific type of organization they want to run/how they want to play, and they don't deviate from it. Just thinking out loud, look at the Packers, Spurs, Twins (haven't won a title, but they have a top/bottom plan throughout their organization), Blackhawks.

I realize talent pools coming out of college/high school are limited, and there are only so many superstars, but for billion dollar organizations, who are 100% dependent on finding/developing talent, miss so poorly and so often as teams like the Bears and White Sox do, it's dumbfounding.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2015, 10:17:28 AM »
The bears have more success at picking 2nd rounders. Forte, Hester and Alshon come to mind.

Ted Thompson also has a better record in rounds 2-3 than the 1st round

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2015, 10:36:45 AM »
Ted Thompson also has a better record in rounds 2-3 than the 1st round

Do you think that has anything to do with expectations?  Many times 1st round picks are expected to immediately deliver and are thrust into spots they may not be ready for.  The bar is set lower for later rounds, so maybe guys get a little more time.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt