'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Another Big East Expansion Discussion  (Read 45063 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Another Big East Expansion Discussion
« Reply #100 on: September 26, 2015, 06:53:59 PM »
Maybe, brew. I'm still in agreement with others that the Daytons and VCUs will be there whenever the Big East reaches out, be it next year, 5 years from now or whenever.

If we can't get the likes of UConn, I'm on the "no" side of expansion.

I agree 100%. Dayton or VCU are only worth adding as a complimentary team to a bigger fish, like UConn or Notre Dame. Good candidates, but not must haves. They're ideal to keep on the back burner as reserve options if someone we truly want becomes available and we want to go to 12.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #101 on: September 26, 2015, 10:06:30 PM »
I agree 100%. Dayton or VCU are only worth adding as a complimentary team to a bigger fish, like UConn or Notre Dame. Good candidates, but not must haves. They're ideal to keep on the back burner as reserve options if someone we truly want becomes available and we want to go to 12.

We should be the effen commishes of this league - ha!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #102 on: September 27, 2015, 07:24:19 PM »
Weve been talking a lot about what the Big East should want in an expansion target.  We should really be talking about what does Fox want in an expansion target. They will only approve more money if the teams are worth the cash. So what is Fox looking for? In order:

1) Significant media market: this kills Dayton, Wichita state, etc

2) New media market: this kills George Washington, Fordham, Loyola,  st. Joe's, etc.

3) Will drive a national audience to watch games (most important): this kills Richmond, Denver, Davidson, old dominion, saint Louis, Boston university, etc

Who does that leave? Football schools (uconn, nd, Memphis, etc), maybe vcu (depends on life after shaka), and Gonzaga/BYU.

I know we have our objections about public schools, football schools, abd west coast schools. Fox doesn't share our objections. They would love to add any school that drives a national audience. Hell, west coast schools would give them some late night programming options. Fox isn't going to pony up more money for teams like Dayton and SLU so they shouldn't even be on the list.

So if we are going to expand, we have to find a way to do it with football, public, or west coast schools. And we will have to expand. We aren't making enough to justify our contact with Fox. If we want to get this kind of deal again, we need to find a way to drive more eyeballs to our games. Expansion is the easiest way to do that
The TV Contract is an important consideration. However, I think what is most important is the consistent quality of the league over a longer period of time and the development of strong rivalries. Right now the Big East is in an excellent position with 10 teams. In the first two years we have had 10 teams go to the tournament, which builds up our NCAA units.   Our double round robin is a very distinctive feature of the conference. It helps two ways in that it promotes rivalries which enhances the  brand identity of the schools in the conference. The strong identities will ensure that we keep our best coaches in the league for the long term , which also brings attention and recruits.

The next step for the conference is for our teams to go deeper into the tournament.  The dollars that will bring in will bring in will be very significant.  If we can consistently put our teams in the Elite Eight or better, build up strong rivalries among all the teams. our next TV contract will take care of itself .

Expansion only dilutes our league and there are really no teams that will fit into our configuration that are worth bringing in. Obviously if we took U Conn or Cincy back it would be great, but reality is they are gone once the ACC wants to expand, and that would only serve to hurt our brand. We are fine as we are. A little patience will go a long way.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #103 on: September 27, 2015, 09:29:21 PM »
The TV Contract is an important consideration. However, I think what is most important is the consistent quality of the league over a longer period of time and the development of strong rivalries. Right now the Big East is in an excellent position with 10 teams. In the first two years we have had 10 teams go to the tournament, which builds up our NCAA units.   Our double round robin is a very distinctive feature of the conference. It helps two ways in that it promotes rivalries which enhances the  brand identity of the schools in the conference. The strong identities will ensure that we keep our best coaches in the league for the long term , which also brings attention and recruits.

The next step for the conference is for our teams to go deeper into the tournament.  The dollars that will bring in will bring in will be very significant.  If we can consistently put our teams in the Elite Eight or better, build up strong rivalries among all the teams. our next TV contract will take care of itself .

Expansion only dilutes our league and there are really no teams that will fit into our configuration that are worth bringing in. Obviously if we took U Conn or Cincy back it would be great, but reality is they are gone once the ACC wants to expand, and that would only serve to hurt our brand. We are fine as we are. A little patience will go a long way.

We should absolutely focus on what makes a stronger league over a long period of time. The way to do that is to secure another contract with Fox. The only thing keeping the Big East from slipping to mid major status is our massive television contract. We need to do whatever we can to ensure that we will be renewed in 2026 with a similar contract. Now a lot of what you said, winning in March, developing rivalries, etc is part of that. If expansion will help that happen, then we should absolutely do that. I think Gonzaga/BYU is what eventually happens. I don't know how they figure out the geography, but they will. They will also have to figure out the BYU Network as someone else mentioned.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #104 on: September 27, 2015, 09:42:18 PM »
We should absolutely focus on what makes a stronger league over a long period of time. The way to do that is to secure another contract with Fox. The only thing keeping the Big East from slipping to mid major status is our massive television contract. We need to do whatever we can to ensure that we will be renewed in 2026 with a similar contract. Now a lot of what you said, winning in March, developing rivalries, etc is part of that. If expansion will help that happen, then we should absolutely do that. I think Gonzaga/BYU is what eventually happens. I don't know how they figure out the geography, but they will. They will also have to figure out the BYU Network as someone else mentioned.

I'm definitely aboard for BYU and, especially, Gonzaga. I didn't say so earlier because I just assume it can't happen. I hope I'm wrong.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #105 on: September 28, 2015, 08:29:23 AM »
If Zaga were to join the league, how much extra travel would that really be for MU? Seems like if the Zags are willing to do it, we should welcome them.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #106 on: September 28, 2015, 09:35:26 AM »

The Zags are not going to put their team/teams at a disadvantage travel wise for every conference road game, crossing several time zones. Unrealistic. Who is going to pay travel expenses for all the non revenue sports?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #107 on: September 28, 2015, 10:13:17 AM »
The Zags are not going to put their team/teams at a disadvantage travel wise for every conference road game, crossing several time zones. Unrealistic. Who is going to pay travel expenses for all the non revenue sports?

I don't think you appreciate the difference in $$$ between our TV contract and the WCC's. More than makes up for the increase in travel costs.

I don't know if this happens but I think the hesitation would be more on the Big East's side than Gonzaga's.
TAMU

Jet915

• Starter
« Reply #108 on: September 28, 2015, 10:52:26 AM »

There was an article about 2 years ago where the Gonzaga AD is quoted as saying they did the travel studies and were a willing partner if the Big East invited them.  I would love BYU/Gonzaga joining the league.  Gonzaga is an elite team, BYU has a huge following and fanbase.  I think it's the east coast teams who are unwilling to do the travel....Georgetown seemed to be the hesitant party on adding Creighton so I doubt they are gonna want to go to Provo and Spokane.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 10:54:19 AM by Jet915 »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #109 on: September 28, 2015, 11:58:15 AM »
I don't think you appreciate the difference in $$$ between our TV contract and the WCC's. More than makes up for the increase in travel costs.

I don't know if this happens but I think the hesitation would be more on the Big East's side than Gonzaga's.

Okay...I get the numbers. I understand the fiscal benefit. And I know that college sports has become a business more than anything else. But these are still college kids and at some point, maybe, just maybe someone should actually pause for a moment and consider the human element.

Not all of these players are going to be pros. Sure, maybe most guys that are able to earn a scholarship in the Big East will play professionally at some level, but we aren't talking about seasoned vets, we are talking about kids that have other obligations.

Consider that at least once per year, you are going to take the current Big East teams and put them on long plane rides to Provo and Spokane. This will take them away from classes and their other obligations. But even worse, it will probably take at least 3-4 trips per year for the Cougar and Zag programs to get their road games out East addressed. And sure, you can say "well, they don't have to necessarily go out east if we do divisions", but that's a load of crap. Provo is 948 miles from Omaha. Spokane is further. These kids will be putting in a minimum of 2500 miles in on every 2-game road trip. So pretty much two weeks per month in January and February the BYU and Gonzaga teams will be away from campus.

And yes, there's the travel cost element, but it's not just for the revenue sports, it's also for Cross Country, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, all the other sports these schools support. Will all of them get to fly charter planes? Probably not. Hopefully they can at least fly coach, because bus rides would be murder. The only upside to the bus ride is they might be able to more easily overcome the jet lag that the basketball players would be dealing with on a weekly basis.

When the new Big East was formed, I sat back and thought "this is nice, it's a throwback and has some of the elements of how college sports SHOULD be." Sure, Creighton was a bit of an outlier, but everyone was a philosophical fit and for the most part, everyone was a geographical fit. Round-robin play and finally a league that seemed to be about getting back to its roots rather than just making every single dirty low-down cash grab that you expect from the Big Ten, SEC, ACC, and Big 12 type conferences.

When everyone else compromised to bring in schools that clearly didn't fit their profile, whether Syracuse and Pitt in the ACC, Rutgers in the Big Ten, TCU in the Big 12, or pretty much anyone that UConn and Cincy were bringing into the American, we had a league that sure felt better than that. A league that yes, was going to be relatively lucrative for the schools involved, but was also going to make more sense than the other leagues that were just trading teams like baseball cards.

The ONLY way we should take BYU and Gonzaga is if they are willing to move their campuses to St. Louis and Minneapolis. Then it works. Otherwise, I don't want any part of them. They have good programs. They aren't terrible philosophical fits. But in terms of geography, in terms of doing what is actually best for the most important people involved, the Student-Athletes, they are awful fits and we should have no part of them. And frankly, they should want no part of us either.

If they want to be in a West Coast version of our league, then put in calls to St. Mary's, Weber State, Long Beach State, UNLV, San Diego State, New Mexico, Colorado State, and New Mexico State. Have a nice, West Coast-based 10-team league of their own that makes sense.

I want no part of either of them. I'd sooner take Fordham and Davidson.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #110 on: September 28, 2015, 01:22:45 PM »
I don't disagree with anything you said Brew. BYU/Gonzaga isn't the expansion I want, it's the expansion I think we will get. It's just a reality of college sports these days. It's all about the $$$$$. The Big East only gets to be a high major as long as we have this lucrative TV deal. We are set until 2026. If we want to be a high major from 2026 on, we need to find a way to justify the millions Fox is paying us. If you can find me one article that says something to the effect of "Fox getting their money's worth for Big East basketball" I would be surprised. The common perception is that Fox vastly overpaid for us. Unless we start driving more eyeballs to Fox Sports 1, we will either not be renewed or will be renewed for a lot less money. If either of those things happen, we will regress to mid major status.

If we find a way to start increasing ratings without expanding, that would be great. If we could find a way to increase ratings by adding teams like Dayton and SLU, that would be great. I don't see that happening. That means we either need to lure away football schools (would be my number 1 preference) or we need to go out and snag the last two brand name basketball programs left in the country, BYU and Gonzaga.

I do agree that it sucks for student athletes. But honestly, on my list of injustices that we put student athletes through, making them travel a couple hours further once or twice a year (more for the BYU/Gonzaga athletes) is pretty far down on my list of injustices.

Let's also not act like Gonzaga isn't already doing this. The closest school in the WCC to Gonzaga? It's BYU, nearly 750 miles away. Most of their conference opponents are in southern California, almost 1,400 miles away. They average over 1,000 miles, one way for every conference road game. Yes, the Big East is farther, and its in a different time zone, so it would be more difficult. But it's not like they are trading an easy travel schedule for a difficult one.

As Jet pointed out, Gonzaga is interested. At least they were two years ago. No idea about BYU. The hesitation is on the Big East's side.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 01:44:35 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #111 on: September 28, 2015, 01:26:57 PM »
One factor I just thought about is when other conferences' TV deals expire. The American is currently making 1.5 million per school per year for both basketball AND football. Pathetic compared to what the Big East is getting. The American's TV deal expires in 2020. They haven't exactly been earning their contract either. If they end up getting renewed for less money, maybe some of their member schools would be disgruntled enough to look elsewhere.

There really shouldn't be any rush to expand. We have 10 years to figure it out. The college sport landscape could look very different in 2020.
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #112 on: September 28, 2015, 02:10:56 PM »
There really shouldn't be any rush to expand. We have 10 years to figure it out. The college sport landscape could look very different in 2020.

This for me is the biggest key. We are just scratching the surface of our new conference TV deal. Let's at least get halfway through the deal before we start adding programs that may as well be on another continent.

If we get to 2021 and ratings are still struggling, there's been no change in the conference landscape, and we are worried about getting a second deal with Fox, then I suppose it's time to start thinking about programs like this. But what other options will these schools have? Okay, maybe BYU could sneak into the Big 12 or Pac-12, but Gonzaga? They are going nowhere. Just like Dayton, VCU, Wichita State, St. Louis, Northern Iowa, Richmond, Valpo, Fordham, and any other potential non-football school someone could come up with.

The landscape will change by then. Probably not as much as it has in the past 6 years, but the Big East of 2009 had teams that now are in the Big East, American, ACC, Big Ten, and Big 12. Nebraska, Mizzou, Colorado, and Texas A&M were still part of the aptly named Big 12. The Pac-10 had a different number of teams and name. And the Big 10 couldn't count...well, I guess some things never really change.

Bottom line, it's too early in the deal to start bringing in schools that have no business being here. Gonzaga is on another planet and BYU has football. Those sorts of issues are the exact reason we left the old Big East in the first place. Inviting those problems to our new league just two years later would be the most stupid, short-sighted decision I can possibly imagine anyone making.

If Fox is that upset about ratings, just buy us out of the last decade of the contract and let us look for another carrier.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #113 on: September 28, 2015, 02:26:07 PM »
This for me is the biggest key. We are just scratching the surface of our new conference TV deal. Let's at least get halfway through the deal before we start adding programs that may as well be on another continent.

If we get to 2021 and ratings are still struggling, there's been no change in the conference landscape, and we are worried about getting a second deal with Fox, then I suppose it's time to start thinking about programs like this. But what other options will these schools have? Okay, maybe BYU could sneak into the Big 12 or Pac-12, but Gonzaga? They are going nowhere. Just like Dayton, VCU, Wichita State, St. Louis, Northern Iowa, Richmond, Valpo, Fordham, and any other potential non-football school someone could come up with.

The landscape will change by then. Probably not as much as it has in the past 6 years, but the Big East of 2009 had teams that now are in the Big East, American, ACC, Big Ten, and Big 12. Nebraska, Mizzou, Colorado, and Texas A&M were still part of the aptly named Big 12. The Pac-10 had a different number of teams and name. And the Big 10 couldn't count...well, I guess some things never really change.

Bottom line, it's too early in the deal to start bringing in schools that have no business being here. Gonzaga is on another planet and BYU has football. Those sorts of issues are the exact reason we left the old Big East in the first place. Inviting those problems to our new league just two years later would be the most stupid, short-sighted decision I can possibly imagine anyone making.

If Fox is that upset about ratings, just buy us out of the last decade of the contract and let us look for another carrier.

I assume the "incremental" contract adjustment for the addition of teams is not retroactive... so strictly from a fiscal standpoint, it would make sense to add those teams as early in the term as possible; especially if you're counting on the additional schools to "ramp up" to BE standards during that time (e.g. if Fordham was being added with the understanding that they use their BE membership as a foundation to raise their MBB profile substantially).

That said, I don't fault the "wait and see" advocates... seems like a very prudent stance given the volatility in conferences hasn't settled down yet.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #114 on: September 28, 2015, 02:44:01 PM »
I assume the "incremental" contract adjustment for the addition of teams is not retroactive... so strictly from a fiscal standpoint, it would make sense to add those teams as early in the term as possible; especially if you're counting on the additional schools to "ramp up" to BE standards during that time (e.g. if Fordham was being added with the understanding that they use their BE membership as a foundation to raise their MBB profile substantially).

That said, I don't fault the "wait and see" advocates... seems like a very prudent stance given the volatility in conferences hasn't settled down yet.

Here's the problem with that, however. The current contract is $500M for 12 years for 10 teams. If you divide that out, the average per year is $4.16M per team. If you expand by two members and get the maximum expansion allotment, according to the OP, you get $600M for 12 years for 12 teams. The average per year is still $4.16M per team. In terms of the television contract, there is no benefit for existing schools to add.

Now I suppose you could invite two teams and force them to earn a full share. Years 1-3 you get $2.08M, in years 4-6 you get $3.12M, then in year 7 and beyond you get your fully vested $4.16M share, but is the extra $416K/$208K per original team per year worth adding for?

The real benefit would be the potential for extra NCAA shares, but would Gonzaga be such a lock to make the tourney every year if they didn't play in a league that guaranteed them the 13+ wins and 75% chance of winning the conference tournament they have enjoyed since BYU joined the league 4 years ago? I'm confident they won't bring current shares with them, will they maintain their success in a league with twice as many top-100 opponents as they are used to?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #115 on: September 28, 2015, 02:48:33 PM »
Inviting those problems to our new league just two years later would be the most stupid, short-sighted decision I can possibly imagine anyone making.

I am for the wait and see approach too, but besides inconvenient travel for the student athletes, why do you think this decision would be so bad? It brings two massive brands into the Big East. We would have the 9 most dominant basketball only schools in the country all in one conference....plus DePaul, Seton Hall, and  BYU. To me that would enhance the profile of the Big East. Geographically it's weird, but geography hasn't mattered for conferences in years. I think it would drive up television ratings and increase our likelihood of getting deep tournament runs. I just don't see the downside.

You say Gonzaga has no business being here. Why? Just geography? They are one of the best (you can even make an argument for the best) basketball only schools in the nation. We are the best basketball only conference in the nation. That makes them fit. That should trump geography.

The football thing with BYU I get a little bit more. Personally doesn't bother me. I'd add UConn, Notre Dame, Temple, Memphis, etc. tomorrow even if they kept their football teams. I think we let the concept of football scare us. This isn't the old Big East. We are and will always be dominated by basketball only schools. If they want to park their football somewhere else, I say let them in.

I think adding Gonzaga and BYU would only help the league. The only possible downside could be if we take them and then the likes of UConn and Notre Dame become available and we don't have room. That's why I say wait and see, but I think the likelihood of them coming back to us is pretty slim.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #116 on: September 28, 2015, 02:50:56 PM »
Here's the problem with that, however. The current contract is $500M for 12 years for 10 teams. If you divide that out, the average per year is $4.16M per team. If you expand by two members and get the maximum expansion allotment, according to the OP, you get $600M for 12 years for 12 teams. The average per year is still $4.16M per team. In terms of the television contract, there is no benefit for existing schools to add.

Now I suppose you could invite two teams and force them to earn a full share. Years 1-3 you get $2.08M, in years 4-6 you get $3.12M, then in year 7 and beyond you get your fully vested $4.16M share, but is the extra $416K/$208K per original team per year worth adding for?

The real benefit would be the potential for extra NCAA shares, but would Gonzaga be such a lock to make the tourney every year if they didn't play in a league that guaranteed them the 13+ wins and 75% chance of winning the conference tournament they have enjoyed since BYU joined the league 4 years ago? I'm confident they won't bring current shares with them, will they maintain their success in a league with twice as many top-100 opponents as they are used to?

It's not about benefit to individual schools. Its about benefit to the entire league. Two more brand names means two more fan bases that are watching Big East basketball, attending the Big East Tournament, and more big names to create quality matchups that will drive fans of the sport to watch.
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #117 on: September 28, 2015, 03:16:38 PM »
Gonzaga and BYU are not national brands.

Okay, BYU may be close to a state school in Utah, but I just don't believe they have much pull beyond state borders, and I really hate the idea of a football school. Getting away from football is why we're here in the first place. It's inviting the problems of the past back through the door. And there's the slippery slope aspect. If we take BYU with football, why not UConn with football, or Cincy with football, or hell, why not just merge with the American and make a 20+ team superconference?

No football. Never again.

As far as Gonzaga, I get that they are a known commodity, but I'm just not that enamored. Small student base, 6,000 seat arena, and while their name is recognized, it's not like they have a big fanbase. I know...they've made the tourney for 17 straight years, but how much of that is playing in a crap conference? Only 4 of those bids have been at-large and only twice have they won more than 2 games in the tournament.

Gonzaga is ridiculously outside the geographic footprint and I just don't believe they will maintain their success level once they actually have to play a real schedule. I'm not convinced they'll continue to be a world-beater with the step up in competition. If they were a team with a few Final Fours and regular Sweet 16 appearances, but they haven't reached a Final Four yet and have only been out of the first weekend twice in the past nine years.

I think Gonzaga will be a team that draws a lot of interest early, but I see it planing off rather quickly. The problem is we'll be stuck with them and the crazy travel requirements for all of our teams, not just basketball.

I also don't see it helping the Big East Tournament. Maybe for a year or two, but MSG is a long way from Spokane (2582 miles) and Provo (2192 miles). We'd be far more likely to get visitors from more local schools like Dayton or VCU than either of those two.

Again, I don't want to expand unless it's a a clear-cut no-brainer decision. UConn or Notre Dame would fit that mold. I don't believe anyone else in the country does. Not Gonzaga, and certainly not BYU.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #118 on: September 28, 2015, 03:48:44 PM »
I think one of Nova us or GTown nab at least a Final Four before the contract is up we're just fine. Essentially I'd rather us bet on the teams we have doing great and building up their brand than needing to add more schools... unless one of those schools suddenly add a national championship or something. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #119 on: September 28, 2015, 10:52:52 PM »
One factor I just thought about is when other conferences' TV deals expire. The American is currently making 1.5 million per school per year for both basketball AND football. Pathetic compared to what the Big East is getting. The American's TV deal expires in 2020. They haven't exactly been earning their contract either. If they end up getting renewed for less money, maybe some of their member schools would be disgruntled enough to look elsewhere.

Wow, good luck building a football team that's attractive to a BCS conference with a total of 1.5 million to split between football and basketball.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MUchamp22

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #120 on: September 29, 2015, 07:38:20 AM »
Is there a reason Notre Dame keeps being brought up as a possible team to move to the Big East. Last I checked they are in the ACC, the top basketball conference there is. Is there a reason to believe they would actually leave? Does it have to do with their football program staying independent?

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #121 on: September 29, 2015, 07:41:19 AM »
Gonzaga and BYU are not national brands.

Okay, BYU may be close to a state school in Utah, but I just don't believe they have much pull beyond state borders, and I really hate the idea of a football school. Getting away from football is why we're here in the first place. It's inviting the problems of the past back through the door. And there's the slippery slope aspect. If we take BYU with football, why not UConn with football, or Cincy with football, or hell, why not just merge with the American and make a 20+ team superconference?

No football. Never again.

As far as Gonzaga, I get that they are a known commodity, but I'm just not that enamored. Small student base, 6,000 seat arena, and while their name is recognized, it's not like they have a big fanbase. I know...they've made the tourney for 17 straight years, but how much of that is playing in a crap conference? Only 4 of those bids have been at-large and only twice have they won more than 2 games in the tournament.

Gonzaga is ridiculously outside the geographic footprint and I just don't believe they will maintain their success level once they actually have to play a real schedule. I'm not convinced they'll continue to be a world-beater with the step up in competition. If they were a team with a few Final Fours and regular Sweet 16 appearances, but they haven't reached a Final Four yet and have only been out of the first weekend twice in the past nine years.

I think Gonzaga will be a team that draws a lot of interest early, but I see it planing off rather quickly. The problem is we'll be stuck with them and the crazy travel requirements for all of our teams, not just basketball.

I also don't see it helping the Big East Tournament. Maybe for a year or two, but MSG is a long way from Spokane (2582 miles) and Provo (2192 miles). We'd be far more likely to get visitors from more local schools like Dayton or VCU than either of those two.

Again, I don't want to expand unless it's a a clear-cut no-brainer decision. UConn or Notre Dame would fit that mold. I don't believe anyone else in the country does. Not Gonzaga, and certainly not BYU.

Does anyone know if BYU is rooted for by all Mormons across the country?  I mean, I think part of Notre Dame's brand is the fact that their mascot is the "fighting Irish" and people with Irish heritage may buy the product and root for Notre Dame just because the mascot says "fighting Irish."

Basically, does BYU have Wal-Mart fans (Mormons specifically) the same way the UW-Madison does?  My hunch is to say "yes" since they have their own network, but I'm curious if anyone knows for sure.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #122 on: September 29, 2015, 07:48:31 AM »
We should be the effen commishes of this league - ha!

Wow.  This post just smacks ignorance.  You are clearly not aware of the amount of diligence required for purchasing office furniture.  Do you know the difference between the OR-239 ergonomic and the OR-3742 cligomatic, triple-incline office chairs?  I doubt it.  Val does.  Frankly speaking, MU82, you don't have the chops. 

And that's to say nothing of the necessary level of conscientiousness that hiring someone to create a website takes.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #123 on: September 29, 2015, 07:51:00 AM »
Does anyone know if BYU is rooted for by all Mormons across the country?  I mean, I think part of Notre Dame's brand is the fact that their mascot is the "fighting Irish" and people with Irish heritage may buy the product and root for Notre Dame just because the mascot says "fighting Irish."

Basically, does BYU have Wal-Mart fans (Mormons specifically) the same way the UW-Madison does?  My hunch is to say "yes" since they have their own network, but I'm curious if anyone knows for sure.

Most of the Mormons I know root for BYU as their primary team.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #124 on: September 29, 2015, 07:51:42 AM »
Is there a reason Notre Dame keeps being brought up as a possible team to move to the Big East. Last I checked they are in the ACC, the top basketball conference there is. Is there a reason to believe they would actually leave? Does it have to do with their football program staying independent?

Mostly it has to do with prodigious alcohol consumption and bong hits by posters.

The most realistic scenario for ND coming to the Big East would be the Big Ten and SEC going supernova and devouring the ACC between them with the Big Ten passing on ND because it insists on remaining independent in football. 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 08:02:04 AM by Crean to Ann Arbor »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

feedback