collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Pheonix/Scottsdale Restaurant suggestions?  (Read 2673 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Pheonix/Scottsdale Restaurant suggestions?
« on: September 12, 2015, 04:21:07 AM »
Out here visiting my mother, sister and nephew and I'm a huge foodie as I've said on various other suggestion threads. 

So any of you have suggestions for local food? Don't say Chompies I already know it, already love it, and before I leave I'll already wish it was in Chicago. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Pheonix/Scottsdale Restaurant suggestions?
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 08:08:36 AM »
True Food Kitchen in Scottsdale Quarter is nice.  Creative dishes, locally-sourced products when possible.  Nice area for a stroll if you have to wait for a table.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 08:23:17 AM »
For steak etc. can't miss with Mastros. Burgers, wings, salads and chit--- hit up AZ 88. You'll think you're at Elsa's, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 10:56:32 AM »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 10:57:01 AM »
True Food Kitchen in Scottsdale Quarter is nice.  Creative dishes, locally-sourced products when possible.  Nice area for a stroll if you have to wait for a table.

Thanks I'll have to check it out. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 12:17:52 PM »
After learning that you can buy yelp ratings and reviews I don't trust it.

I have actually found the reviews to be rather trustworthy.  I have found a lot of great places on Yelp that I wouldn't have otherwise.
Have some patience, FFS.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 12:46:25 PM »
Chino Bandidos has the best Mexican/Asian fusion food on this earth. I stop by there every time I'm in Phoenix.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/chino-bandido-phoenix-3

I suggest a Jade Chicken Quesadilla, with the Jerk Fried Rice and Cuban Beans.

I'm hungry just thinking about it.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 01:08:33 PM »
I have actually found the reviews to be rather trustworthy.  I have found a lot of great places on Yelp that I wouldn't have otherwise.

I can't speak for the restaurant industry but I know in plastic surgery offices get calls from yelp to hold yelp employee specials for them and in turn yelp will bump their rating and post positive reviews from the special. If they say no yelp will hide positive reviews and won't edit their page from fake reviews (certain plastic has a 1star review where "patient" claimed a procedure was done before the office existed) Plus you can give direct payments so that yelp will only post positive reviews one surgeon I know (who's very average at best) pays almost 1,000,000 annually doing this so his page shows an almost perfect rating.

I agree it can be useful but the trust is broken so I prefer asking around for tips.
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 01:24:02 PM »
I can't speak for the restaurant industry but I know in plastic surgery offices get calls from yelp to hold yelp employee specials for them and in turn yelp will bump their rating and post positive reviews from the special. If they say no yelp will hide positive reviews and won't edit their page from fake reviews (certain plastic has a 1star review where "patient" claimed a procedure was done before the office existed) Plus you can give direct payments so that yelp will only post positive reviews one surgeon I know (who's very average at best) pays almost 1,000,000 annually doing this so his page shows an almost perfect rating.

I agree it can be useful but the trust is broken so I prefer asking around for tips.

One should use Yelp to help decide where to get a sandwich, not a facelift.

Anyone who chooses a surgeon based on Yelp ratings deserves what they get.
Have some patience, FFS.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2015, 04:45:33 PM »
Pink Pony, non è?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2015, 04:57:52 PM »
Pink Pony, non è?

What type of place is that? Looks like an old saloon.
Maigh Eo for Sam

hepennypacker5000

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 02:01:00 AM »
Hike Camelback(the tough side) and then indulge at Hopdoddy. Burgers are pretty good, but about 1000% better after a good hike with an amazing view. Camelback is about 30% climbing, so don't bring anyone that isn't in good shape.

You'll also get to see a crapload of ASU's finest.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 02:07:49 AM by hepennypacker5000 »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2015, 02:36:35 AM »
Hike Camelback(the tough side) and then indulge at Hopdoddy. Burgers are pretty good, but about 1000% better after a good hike with an amazing view. Camelback is about 30% climbing, so don't bring anyone that isn't in good shape.

You'll also get to see a crapload of ASU's finest.

I've always wanted to do camelback but an old knee issue is limiting me.  I did go to Hopdoddy yesterday though, they had really good burgers and their house IPA was pretty decent as well. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2015, 09:47:42 AM »
I've always wanted to do camelback but an old knee issue is limiting me.  I did go to Hopdoddy yesterday though, they had really good burgers and their house IPA was pretty decent as well.

Cowboy Ciao.  Excellent dinner there a few years ago, and we still make a southwest chopped salad we had there  Also, there is an article in the Trib today on restaurants in that area.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2015, 10:57:37 PM »
Cowboy Ciao.  Excellent dinner there a few years ago, and we still make a southwest chopped salad we had there  Also, there is an article in the Trib today on restaurants in that area.

Agree totally about Cowboy Ciao. Chopped salad is a must. A little pricey; great place to go for lunch, when it's a better value.

Barrio Cafe is outstanding Mexican -- best I've had in town, and I've had a ton. I especially like their Tortas, but everything's good.

Phoenix City Grille is awesome.

A favorite lunch spot of mine is the Quill Creek Cafe at the Grayhawk Golf Club in North Scottsdale. Go on a beautiful day and sit on the patio overlooking the 18th green. Excellent salads, sammiches and the like.

An interesting place with a big menu of New Mexican (the state) cuisine is Carlsbad Tavern. Great fish tacos.

Pink Pony and Don & Charlie's are over-rated and outrageously priced.

I've never had a bad meal at Houston's. Yes, it's a chain but a very good one. Best ribs in PHX area, IMHO.

PHX/Scottsdale is a good eatin' town. Plenty of others, too.

Have fun ... and don't gain too much weight!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2015, 01:58:32 AM »
Agree totally about Cowboy Ciao. Chopped salad is a must. A little pricey; great place to go for lunch, when it's a better value.

Barrio Cafe is outstanding Mexican -- best I've had in town, and I've had a ton. I especially like their Tortas, but everything's good.

Phoenix City Grille is awesome.

A favorite lunch spot of mine is the Quill Creek Cafe at the Grayhawk Golf Club in North Scottsdale. Go on a beautiful day and sit on the patio overlooking the 18th green. Excellent salads, sammiches and the like.

An interesting place with a big menu of New Mexican (the state) cuisine is Carlsbad Tavern. Great fish tacos.

Pink Pony and Don & Charlie's are over-rated and outrageously priced.

I've never had a bad meal at Houston's. Yes, it's a chain but a very good one. Best ribs in PHX area, IMHO.

PHX/Scottsdale is a good eatin' town. Plenty of others, too.

Have fun ... and don't gain too much weight!!

Wow thanks! This was a weekend trip but you've pretty much planned my thanksgiving and MLK weekend meals as well! I look forward to trying all of those places!

Have you, or anyone else, tried the man vs food places around here? It's just a personal challenge I've been trying for years now.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2015, 11:01:30 AM »
The last time I was in PHX was about a decade ago, but I remember there was an off-the-path seafood restaurant north of campus somewhere... not sure how far exactly nor do I remember what it is/was called (let alone am I sure whether it's still there) but I remember it being one of the best meals I'd ever had up to that point - and I've eaten seafood everywhere from SF to Boston.  What I do remember was that the dining area was underground (as in "below grade"), so I'm sure someone in the area might know what I'm talking about.

Again, the disclaimer (if it's still there) - my experience was ten years ago.  YMMV.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2015, 12:27:50 PM »
Don't say Chompies I already know it, already love it, and before I leave I'll already wish it was in Chicago.

Well, there goes my one suggestion.

For other suggestions, I'd have to consult family.  If you want me to do that, let me know and I will (my parents, two brothers and a sister all living in the East Valley).
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2015, 02:11:42 PM »
Wow thanks! This was a weekend trip but you've pretty much planned my thanksgiving and MLK weekend meals as well! I look forward to trying all of those places!

Have you, or anyone else, tried the man vs food places around here? It's just a personal challenge I've been trying for years now.

Because they have so many folks from NY, Chicago and SF there, PHX/Scottsdale has become a good eatin' town. It's very competitive, though, and a couple of places I loved didn't make it. Tough business.

I haven't tried any of the man-vs-food places; maybe others have.

Have fun, and enjoy a margarita (or three) for me.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2015, 02:28:32 PM »

Well, there goes my one suggestion.

For other suggestions, I'd have to consult family.  If you want me to do that, let me know and I will (my parents, two brothers and a sister all living in the East Valley).

Yeah I'm always up for great suggestions! I usually make it out here three times a year so always looking for new spots to try!
Maigh Eo for Sam

Securitizer

• Walk-On
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2015, 02:49:59 PM »
Pizzeria Bianco.  Best pizza in the US (assuming you like the style).

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2015, 02:51:32 PM »

After 5 posts on MUScoop don't go there on calling a place in Phoenix best in the US pizza.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2015, 09:12:55 PM »
Easy Fan, he's a loooong time lurker.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2015, 10:16:28 PM »

It's fine. It's pizza. There is absolutely no way I would stand in line and hour or two for the right to eat that pizza. Did it once and I'm like, "Yep, it's good pizza, but I've had better in Chicago and New Haven, for sure. And I didn't have to wait in line for them."

feedback