[May 01, 2024, 07:53:32 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tom Brady beats the NFL  (Read 8595 times)

GGGG

• All American
Tom Brady beats the NFL
« on: September 03, 2015, 09:24:40 AM »
His suspension has apparently been overturned.

Wonder if anything will happen to Goodell after this?  Really the guy has been the head of a lead that has had multiple PR gaffes over the past year and a half.  And was a fight against one of his allies.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Tom Brady beats the NFL
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 09:28:48 AM »
Apparently it was overturned on the issue if Brady can be suspended on the "integrity of the game" question.  It was ruled that he could not because it didn't apply to players.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 09:32:58 AM »
NFL looking real bad, good.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 10:03:59 AM »
Glad to see this... not that Brady didn't have something to do with messing with the equipment, but Goodell shouldn't be able to just multiply a penalty by 1000x to make some point. Very glad with this decision.

Also, big day for Michigan Wolverines between this and Harbaugh's debut
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

brandx

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 10:31:47 AM »
No surprise at all. I wrote on May 11th:

And for what it is worth, I don't believe Brady will serve the suspension. Methinks Goddell may have screwed the pooch again.

Goddell reminds me of Trump. He thinks things will be whatever he says they are gonna be. Alas, society doesn't work that way.

But, Goddell has been wrong so many times, I don't know why the owners would object now. He's actually a pretty good fall guy. As long as he keeps screwing up, the owners will never be blamed for anything (even though Goddell is doing their bidding).

The only difference now is that I have to presume he has lost the guy who may have been his biggest supporter - Robert Kraft.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 10:45:26 AM »
Glad to see this... not that Brady didn't have something to do with messing with the equipment, but Goodell shouldn't be able to just multiply a penalty by 1000x to make some point. Very glad with this decision.

Also, big day for Michigan Wolverines between this and Harbaugh's debut

Agreed, I'm comfortable that he was complicit in manipulating the balls and in covering up, but the penalty was excessive.  A fine and the implementation of a new policy to check the balls at halftime (and maybe postgame) would have been sufficient.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 10:47:39 AM »
Yup.  $50k fine and a new policy and this becomes a non-issue.   Equating it to domestic violence and steroid use from a punitive standpoint is stupid.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 11:13:47 AM »
So does Brady make the Hall or is this his mark McGuire/Sammy Sosa moment.  Having the stench of Belicheat doesn't really help.
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 11:15:16 AM »
Brady is a shoo-in.    First ballot.    This will impact his legacy far less than Vicodin addiction and sexting affected Favre's legacy. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 11:16:12 AM »
Saints bounties, Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, Greg Hardy, now this.  Five times the made-up penalties were reduced to align with precedent or nixed completely.  You know the owners are making bank when commissioners who constantly screw up and who players and fans despise have their jobs for life.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 11:17:31 AM »
So does Brady make the Hall or is this his mark McGuire/Sammy Sosa moment.  Having the stench of Belicheat doesn't really help.

Brady and Belicheck are sure fire, deserved, first-ballot HOFers.  Not even remotely questionable. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 11:31:58 AM »
Apparently it was overturned on the issue if Brady can be suspended on the "integrity of the game" question.  It was ruled that he could not because it didn't apply to players.

Correct ....

The judge did not rule on deflated footballs and/or trying the cover up (i.e., throwing away mobile phones).  In fact he said very little about it.

Instead he ruled on the language and wording the collective bargaining agreement (CBA) and if the commissioner can rule and hand out punishment on these types of issues.

By saying no, he actually made a rather important ruling for labor/management and the wording of agreements and the ability of management to punish workers under those agreements.

Again, deflated footballs was not ruled on.  So one could argue that Brady is guilty and got away with it.

brandx

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 11:32:12 AM »
$ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $

Goddell screws the pooch big-time and what will happen?

$ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $

Bigger ratings for the opening night game NE vs. Pit. Even an idiot like Goddell can't stop the $$$$ rolling in.

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 11:33:58 AM »
This will be completely forgotten within two years. Several other QBs, including Rodgers, have done similar things with no penalty. This will be more attached to Goodell's legacy than anything to do with Brady's.

Nobody grows up wearing a Roger Goodell jersey.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 11:35:42 AM »
Correct ....

The judge did not rule on deflated footballs and/or trying the cover up (i.e., throwing away mobile phones).  In fact he said very little about it.

Instead he ruled on the language and wording the collective bargaining agreement (CBA) and if the commissioner can rule and hand out punishment on these types of issues.

By saying no, he actually made a rather important ruling for labor/management and the wording of agreements and the ability of management to punish workers under those agreements.

Again, deflated footballs was not ruled on.  So one could argue that Brady is guilty and got away with it.
I think everyone knows Brady was guilty. The point is that it's supposed to be a 25k fine. That's it.

This is like going 5 miles over the speed limit and being sentenced to 6 months in jail. It's not about the crime, it's the effing ridiculous penalty goodell was trying to enforce.

brandx

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2015, 11:37:41 AM »
This will be completely forgotten within two years. Several other QBs, including Rodgers, have done similar things with no penalty. This will be more attached to Goodell's legacy than anything to do with Brady's.

Nobody grows up wearing a Roger Goodell jersey.

Rodgers has not done something similar.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2015, 11:38:53 AM »
Feel bad for Garoppolo. Had a chance to show what he's got. BTW, I think checkin' balls at halftime is a good thing, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2015, 11:42:23 AM »

He admitted to over-inflating his footballs, above the legal limit (as that is the way he likes them) and submitting them for inspection and hoping they would slip through.

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2015, 11:43:44 AM »

http://deadspin.com/aaron-rodgers-likes-to-tamper-with-footballs-too-1680676328

According to Simms, Rodgers admitted to them that he likes to over-inflate game balls. "I like to push the limits of how much air we can put in the football, even go over what they allow you to do," is what Simms recalls Rodgers telling them.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2015, 11:43:57 AM »
I think everyone knows Brady was guilty.

No I don't think everyone knows that.  I think people suspect that he made it clear that he liked the balls to be softer, but did he "order" them to be inflated under the league minimum?  I doubt it.

Furthermore, were they even illegal when in use?  Remember that the initial reports on the number of deflated footballs were incorrect.  And the physics used in the Wells Report was almost universally panned as faulty from the beginning.

The NFL chose to take a stand on an issue that was clearly faulty.  They deserve this.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2015, 11:47:37 AM »
He admitted to over-inflating his footballs, above the legal limit (as that is the way he likes them) and submitting them for inspection and hoping they would slip through.

OK...and?

I admit to driving above the speed limit and hope that the cops don't catch me.

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2015, 11:48:51 AM »

OK...and?

Exactly. So what?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2015, 11:49:45 AM »

OK...and?

Which means you admit to be a lawbreaker that has not been caught.

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2015, 11:51:09 AM »
And if he is caught, he would receive a penalty in line with established laws. The judge isn't able to just pull some wild sentence out of his ass.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2015, 11:52:49 AM »

Well I have.  Twice. 

Now tell me, in the wake of this ruling, what specific rule within the CBA did Rodgers violate? 

feedback