[Today at 12:54:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Luke Fischer  (Read 65702 times)

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Re: Luke Fischer
« Reply #150 on: September 05, 2015, 03:37:15 PM »
Any predictions on Fischer stats for this year?
Goal is National Championship

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #151 on: September 05, 2015, 04:01:54 PM »

I think we will play faster this year so all his numbers will go up. Probably around the same minutes (30/game), but more shooting, similar efficiency, and more rebounds. He may also get a better assist rate as he has better pass out options. Just taking a guess -- 13.5 ppg, 6 rpg, 1.5 assists per game, and 0 police reports.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #152 on: September 05, 2015, 04:05:43 PM »

13 and 6

Needs to get his FT% up above the 59% from last year. 

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #153 on: September 05, 2015, 04:17:35 PM »
I think the shoulder injury hampered his free throw shooting last year. Should improve now that he is healthy.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #154 on: September 05, 2015, 04:44:35 PM »
I think we will play faster this year so all his numbers will go up. Probably around the same minutes (30/game), but more shooting, similar efficiency, and more rebounds. He may also get a better assist rate as he has better pass out options. Just taking a guess -- 13.5 ppg, 6 rpg, 1.5 assists per game, and 0 police reports.
I see what you did there  :D
Goal is National Championship

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #155 on: September 05, 2015, 08:54:46 PM »
We will be a bad rebounding team, if he averages on 6 rebounds a game. 14pts 9 rbs
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 04:03:14 PM by bilsu »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #156 on: September 05, 2015, 09:02:15 PM »

With Buzz gone, there is a pretty good chance that happens.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #157 on: September 05, 2015, 09:16:10 PM »
FT% is nearly irrelevant
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #158 on: September 07, 2015, 06:42:49 AM »
We will be a bad rebounding them, if he averages on 6 rebounds a game. 14pts 9 rbs

I think our team rebounding will be a lot better this year just because we'll be playing with more height at every position. I'm just not sure how realistic it is to expect a player to increase rebounds so dramatically without increased minutes. My intuition is that it's kind of a hard thing to teach and not skill-dependent like shooting - guys aren't in the gym all summer rebounding like they might be putting up shots. (Maybe I'm wrong about that.) I'll give him some credit for being healthy but not sure it's reasonable to expect him to be nearly twice as good.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #159 on: September 07, 2015, 09:04:17 AM »
Real question: What do folks think Luke's rebounding percentages can be this year?

With the broken wing a year ago, he was at 6.8% and 12.8%. In limited time at I4, he was 11.1% and 12.6%.

I'd *like* to see OR% at 9%+ and DR% approaching 17%+... a DR% of less than 15% would not be pleasing.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #160 on: September 07, 2015, 11:00:18 AM »
Real question: What do folks think Luke's rebounding percentages can be this year?

With the broken wing a year ago, he was at 6.8% and 12.8%. In limited time at I4, he was 11.1% and 12.6%.

I'd *like* to see OR% at 9%+ and DR% approaching 17%+... a DR% of less than 15% would not be pleasing.

I think we need him to be at least as good on the boards as Teve was. I'd like to see 10+% in the offensive glass and 18+% on defensive. If he's truly the best center in the Big East, no reason he shouldn't be in the top 200-300 in both categories in the country.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #161 on: September 07, 2015, 11:43:02 AM »
FT% is nearly irrelevant

Mostly agree,  except for the last THree minutes.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #162 on: September 07, 2015, 12:27:51 PM »

Mostly agree,  except for the last THree minutes.

In certain moments, anything can be important. I'm speaking on FT% as a metric to determine whether your team is good or not, or has a major problem..

Down 2 with 4 seconds left and you miss a shot, offensive rebounding becomes enormously huge.

Down 3 shooting from 3/4 down the court at the buzzer, buzzer beating shooting is huge.

FT% though.. in general,.. faaaar down the list.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #163 on: September 07, 2015, 12:34:39 PM »
FT% doesn't really determine if a team is good or not.  I don't think anyone claimed that to be the case.  The importance of it, however, is obvious.  These are free points.  Fischer shot only 58% last year.  Get that to 70% and it's worth (rounding) an extra point per game for him and the team.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #164 on: September 07, 2015, 01:33:46 PM »
FT% doesn't really determine if a team is good or not.  I don't think anyone claimed that to be the case.  The importance of it, however, is obvious.  These are free points.  Fischer shot only 58% last year.  Get that to 70% and it's worth (rounding) an extra point per game for him and the team.

70% would not be worth an extra point per game rounding to the nearest point.

Nonetheless, "these are free points" is a bizarre thing to say. If they were free points, they would be granted - end of story.

They're not free points.

To suggest so is wrong and outlandish.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #165 on: September 07, 2015, 04:28:11 PM »
If he shoots the same number of free throws as he did last year and shoots 70% instead of 58% it would mean 10 more points in a season.

brandx

« Reply #166 on: September 07, 2015, 04:59:19 PM »
If he shoots the same number of free throws as he did last year and shoots 70% instead of 58% it would mean 10 more points in a season.

That's why JB is right.

Getting to the line often is important for several reason and situational FT shooting is important (last two minutes of the game).

Overall, though, it's way down on the list.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #167 on: September 07, 2015, 06:49:15 PM »
That's why JB is right.

Getting to the line often is important for several reason and situational FT shooting is important (last two minutes of the game).

Overall, though, it's way down on the list.
I've always looked at overall FT% as a leading indicator of a teams focus, conditioning, and, for lack of a better descriptor, discipline.  Teams that can't hit free throws are either super talented and don't need that focus or teams i wouldn't trust in clutch situations.  Does it singularly effect W's and L's?  As was pointed out, no.  As a non 'top 10' program would I feel more confident with a 10 pt higher FT% going into March?  Absolutely - preparation and execution are the only things that can overcome superior talent. 

Clearly not the only/primary indicator.  But isn't it a pretty good leading indicator?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #168 on: September 07, 2015, 06:57:42 PM »
I've always looked at overall FT% as a leading indicator of a teams focus, conditioning, and, for lack of a better descriptor, discipline.  Teams that can't hit free throws are either super talented and don't need that focus or teams i wouldn't trust in clutch situations.  Does it singularly effect W's and L's?  As was pointed out, no.  As a non 'top 10' program would I feel more confident with a 10 pt higher FT% going into March?  Absolutely - preparation and execution are the only things that can overcome superior talent. 

Clearly not the only/primary indicator.  But isn't it a pretty good leading indicator?

No. It's not a good indicator and your thoughts are complete off base and unsupported by facts.

Ask Izzo. #328 in the nation. Final Four.

Ask Steve Fischer.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 07:00:13 PM by Jay Bee »

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #169 on: September 07, 2015, 09:36:34 PM »
No. It's not a good indicator and your thoughts are complete off base and unsupported by facts.

Ask Izzo. #328 in the nation. Final Four.

Ask Steve Fischer.
totally agree on my thoughts being unsupported by facts, I'm far from a CBB statistician or insider. 

Other than looking at w's and l's what stats should i look at as indicators of a team that is over or under performing their potential?  It's a complicated answer, but I'm not a former high school player/coach and I want to make my positions defendable (that sounds snarky but it's really not).

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #170 on: September 08, 2015, 10:01:18 AM »
70% would not be worth an extra point per game rounding to the nearest point.

Nonetheless, "these are free points" is a bizarre thing to say. If they were free points, they would be granted - end of story.

They're not free points.

To suggest so is wrong and outlandish.

My fault, thanks for the correction.  I ran it at 70% and then at the FT% he shot at IU, which was 78%.  It was the 78% then we get to an extra point per game.  At 70% it's roughly a half point.

Would you be more acceptable to Free Points Opportunity?  I was raised by coaches that called them free points...there to be taken if you master an easy shot.  That's my bias, but I've heard plenty of coaches call them "free points".  I wouldn't call it wrong, or outlandish.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #171 on: September 08, 2015, 10:25:12 AM »
My fault, thanks for the correction.  I ran it at 70% and then at the FT% he shot at IU, which was 78%.  It was the 78% then we get to an extra point per game.  At 70% it's roughly a half point.

Would you be more acceptable to Free Points Opportunity?  I was raised by coaches that called them free points...there to be taken if you master an easy shot.  That's my bias, but I've heard plenty of coaches call them "free points".  I wouldn't call it wrong, or outlandish.

1. Yet another error at simple math. Not surprising.

2. Provably wrong, but since you (and all those basketball coaches who raised you) say it anyway that makes it something you wouldn't call wrong. What an absolutely perfect example of outlandish!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #172 on: September 08, 2015, 10:33:54 AM »
They aren't "free points" and I have never heard a coach say that.  They are "free throws" or more accurately "free shots."

The math is interesting though.  I think they get over magnified because we always remember them being missed in "clutch" situations.  Like this headline.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/08/AR2008040800211.html

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #173 on: September 08, 2015, 11:46:45 AM »
I somehow forgot that Luke missed 9 games last year so if he had played a full season and shot 70% instead of 58.....he would have scored 15 more points.

I think we would all agree it is better to have good free throw shooters then bad 1s.

No matter what else you do if you make a few more free throws it can make the difference in close games.

Other factors are obviously more important but since few teams are good at everything I'll take good free throw shooting if I can get it.....especially late in a close game.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #174 on: September 08, 2015, 11:56:41 AM »
I would expect us to play at a more rapid pace this year as we have more horses.  Couple that with Luke being healthy there is a good chance he will get to the line more often, so that the importance of FT% will ramp out. 

I get JB's point that even if you factor in all of that the difference between 70% and 58% isn't going to be more than a point a game and a lot of things are more likely to improve our W/L % than that.  I also that the biggest thing Luke can do to help us win is to up that defensive rebounding percentage.  Even from a psychological/coaching standpoint, giving up second chance points are more painful than leaving points at the FT line, IMO.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

feedback