Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Haukar Is EVIL and Must Be DESTROYED!!!!  (Read 5724 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Haukar Is EVIL and Must Be DESTROYED!!!!
« on: August 11, 2015, 10:24:08 PM »

Let's put the Fishsticks on Ice!

HouWarrior

• All American
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Haukar Is EVIL and Must Be DESTROYED!!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 05:11:21 AM »
How do you pronounce Houkat?  Who-car?

What is a korfuknattleilsdeild?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 06:13:30 AM »
This made my morning.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 07:58:34 AM »
The Icelandic basketball league is sponsored by...Dominos Pizza???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_League_(Iceland)

Yet another reason to despise Dominos. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 08:05:44 AM »
And they have a stupid mascot:

Have some patience, FFS.

bobnoxious

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 08:17:38 AM »
I would find it very difficult to coexist on that team if I was one of the 2 guys who didn't have the double S in my name

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 08:26:30 AM »

moved
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 08:35:20 AM by Crean to Ann Arbor »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 08:28:09 AM »
I would find it very difficult to coexist on that team if I was one of the 2 guys who didn't have the double S in my name

Did you know that most Icelanders base their last names on the names of their father?  Therefore when they marry, the spouse keeps their last name and children do not have the same last name as their parents.

So looking at their roster, Alex Ivarsson's father has the first name of Ivar.

And if Alex has children, his sons will have the last name "Alexsson" and his daughters will have the last name "Alexsdottir."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelandic_name

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 08:29:43 AM »
The Icelandic basketball league is sponsored by...Dominos Pizza???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_League_(Iceland)

Yet another reason to despise Dominos.

I hear the herring pizza is to die for.
Have some patience, FFS.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 08:40:51 AM »

Did you know that most Icelanders base their last names on the names of their father?  Therefore when they marry, the spouse keeps their last name and children do not have the same last name as their parents.

And if Alex has children, his sons will have the last name "Alexsson" and his daughters will have the last name "Alexsdottir."

Yes, and sometimes you take your fathers first name as well--as in MUHS alum Magnus Magnusson(son of Magnus).

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 09:03:38 AM »
What would be the most random Disney villain for a guy to think he is possessed by?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 09:42:35 AM »

This is a tradition of most nordic countries.  The other variation is like Sweden where last names were generated based on the town you came from and or geography....as an example, my grandmother's maiden name was Hammarlund, her family being from the city of Hammar and Lund being Swedish for grove.

Another nordic tradition is to rename a younger sibling in honor of an older sibling who died.  During the mass emigration to the US from the Scandanavian countries the families would consider a child dead if they left for the new world and would rename the next child in honor.

My mom grew up in Janesville and had 4 brothers move there from Norway(I think) and they were all named Peter Petersson because they came one after the other.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 10:20:24 AM »
This is a tradition of most nordic countries.  The other variation is like Sweden where last names were generated based on the town you came from and or geography....as an example, my grandmother's maiden name was Hammarlund, her family being from the city of Hammar and Lund being Swedish for grove.

Another nordic tradition is to rename a younger sibling in honor of an older sibling who died.  During the mass emigration to the US from the Scandanavian countries the families would consider a child dead if they left for the new world and would rename the next child in honor.

My mom grew up in Janesville and had 4 brothers move there from Norway(I think) and they were all named Peter Petersson because they came one after the other.

All that Nordic name coolness.  Boy did you get the short end of the stick Phil.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2015, 10:21:24 AM »
Anyone have any idea what to expect from this team? Are they any good?
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2015, 10:21:54 AM »

Gross
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2015, 11:05:06 AM »
All that Nordic name coolness.  Boy did you get the short end of the stick Phil.

It's makes me like 40% cool.  I'm mostly german with a hint of famous dutch :)
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 11:08:41 AM »
It's makes me like 40% cool.  I'm mostly german with a hint of famous dutch :)

But you still lost all the interesting ethnicity.  I dare you to suggest something European to Mrs. 03 when you guys have one on the way.  Enjoy the game today.  Don't tell the boss.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2015, 12:49:55 PM »
But you still lost all the interesting ethnicity.  I dare you to suggest something European to Mrs. 03 when you guys have one on the way.  Enjoy the game today.  Don't tell the boss.

Eh, she's 50% Sicilian, I don't dare to do anything.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2015, 01:35:33 AM »

Well done. This is an interesting area.

Iceland remains a bit unique, today. The Patronyms of families were "locked" in by laws in most of Scandanavia, resulting in family chains of Hansens, Jensens, Andersons....whereas still today, in Iceland, the last name still varies from generations because they still just take the father's first name and add sen.

In Britain and Germany many surnames came from the career/profession: Smith, Baker, Miller, Schneider, Farmer, Cooper, etc.

Even in the Roman areas of Spain and Italy,  Patronyms are the naming base, as the "ez" means son of ....son of Martin becomes Martinez, and ,of course,  the mothers last name also appears as the final word in the name. This results in many of us mistaking "Jose  Martinez Garcia" as Mr. Garcia, when he is actually Mr. Martinez.

Almost all European surnames derive from 1) parental ancestry (patronyms) 2) career/profession; or 3) locations (and, in turn,  most locations were either named after their topography,, ie Hill, Ford, River,   or the family names of the owners/rulers of the location's area)
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2015, 09:59:23 AM »
Well done. This is an interesting area.

Iceland remains a bit unique, today. The Patronyms of families were "locked" in by laws in most of Scandanavia, resulting in family chains of Hansens, Jensens, Andersons....whereas still today, in Iceland, the last name still varies from generations because they still just take the father's first name and add sen.

In Britain and Germany many surnames came from the career/profession: Smith, Baker, Miller, Schneider, Farmer, Cooper, etc.

Even in the Roman areas of Spain and Italy,  Patronyms are the naming base, as the "ez" means son of ....son of Martin becomes Martinez, and ,of course,  the mothers last name also appears as the final word in the name. This results in many of us mistaking "Jose  Martinez Garcia" as Mr. Garcia, when he is actually Mr. Martinez.

Almost all European surnames derive from 1) parental ancestry (patronyms) 2) career/profession; or 3) locations (and, in turn,  most locations were either named after their topography,, ie Hill, Ford, River,   or the family names of the owners/rulers of the location's area)

Thanks for this.  It always amazes me of all the knowledge that resides on this site.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

feedback