collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2015-16 NFC North/NFL thread  (Read 108587 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: 2015-16 NFC North/NFL thread
« Reply #975 on: January 12, 2016, 08:41:10 AM »
When the ball went through Buckner's legs in 1986 to blow game 6 (Keep in mind that 10-12 minutes earlier when the Red Sox were up 2 runs with 2 outs and nobody on I pulled the best bottle of champagne I could afford on my meager salary out of the fridge ready to pop it and said to my wife of just over a year "Even the Red Sox can't blow this one!")  After the loss, I told my wife I had to go, stormed out of the third floor of our rental and walked the mile and a half to Beardsley Park and wandered the park swearing my head off until I returned home around 5 AM.  My wife was wondering around then what she had gotten herself into.  She loves telling that story and I'm much better now about such things.

Never opened that friggin' bottle of champagne.  Gave it away a week later.

My condolensces to Vikings fans.  I don't think a day will go by for the rest of that kicker's life where he won't at some point remember that kick and feel a little sick.

I was in Indy in '78 when MU lost to Miami on the awful call against Jerome Whitehead.  I was 16 years old, there with my dad and brothers.  Michigan State (with a kid named Magic) was playing the second game, and I had been looking forward to seeing him in person...after a MU win.  When MU lost, I just told my dad I needed to go for a walk.  I suspect he thought I meant around the arena, but I wandered (alone) around Downtown Indy for a couple of hours, and went back to the (downtown) hotel that evening.

Such was the mood that, in later years, would cause my wife to tell our daughters to "stay away from daddy" after a tough MU loss.

I still get upset after MU losses, but time has helped me put it in better perspective.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #976 on: January 12, 2016, 09:13:45 AM »
The Burfict penalty was justified, the guy was in some sort of roid rage for most of the game.  Football players get into a crazy zone and stay there for long periods of time in ways that I can't understand. 

The Pacman Jones penalty was BS, IMO.  Agree he has to be smarter than that, but what's a Steelers coach doing on the field mixing with the Bengals players?  That should have been offsetting penalties.  It would have been a 47 yard FGA, good chance he makes it anyway.

Still over 20 seconds left, several plays could have been run to make that a closer field goal.

In the end, don't fumble the ball when you just picked it off and the game is yours.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #977 on: January 12, 2016, 09:16:55 AM »
When the ball went through Buckner's legs in 1986 to blow game 6 (Keep in mind that 10-12 minutes earlier when the Red Sox were up 2 runs with 2 outs and nobody on I pulled the best bottle of champagne I could afford on my meager salary out of the fridge ready to pop it and said to my wife of just over a year "Even the Red Sox can't blow this one!")  After the loss, I told my wife I had to go, stormed out of the third floor of our rental and walked the mile and a half to Beardsley Park and wandered the park swearing my head off until I returned home around 5 AM.  My wife was wondering around then what she had gotten herself into.  She loves telling that story and I'm much better now about such things.

Never opened that friggin' bottle of champagne.  Gave it away a week later.

My condolensces to Vikings fans.  I don't think a day will go by for the rest of that kicker's life where he won't at some point remember that kick and feel a little sick.

Back it up about 7 games when you were down in the 9th inning with 2 strikes and my Angels are about to go to their first World Series and Donnie Moore (RIP) gives up a HR to Dave Henderson (RIP).  Lots of long walks for lots of fans.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #978 on: January 12, 2016, 09:30:19 AM »
Nothing will be worse for me than the Packers defeat in last years NFC Championship.  I was in shock for five minutes, despair for another ten, and then I was good.

That wouldn't have been the case 25 years ago.  I would have gone ballistic. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #979 on: January 12, 2016, 09:42:21 AM »
Such was the mood that, in later years, would cause my wife to tell our daughters to "stay away from daddy" after a tough MU loss.

I still get upset after MU losses, but time has helped me put it in better perspective.

A highly emotion 17 year old JWags tried to convince his dad to drive the rental car home to Milwaukee from NO in the hours after the FF loss to Kansas, then threatened to do it himself.  Glad cooler heads prevailed and I saw a very good game where Cuse won the title, but I wanted no further part of Final Four weekend festivities at that point.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #980 on: January 12, 2016, 09:44:56 AM »
Back it up about 7 games when you were down in the 9th inning with 2 strikes and my Angels are about to go to their first World Series and Donnie Moore (RIP) gives up a HR to Dave Henderson (RIP).  Lots of long walks for lots of fans.

Yup.  I was on cloud 9 after that one.  I was very saddened to hear of Dave Henderson's very recent passing.  He was a victim of Rich Gedman and Bill Buckner too, in a way.  He hit the go ahead homer in the top half of the inning in World Series Game 6 and would have been an all-time cult hero in Boston had their back-to-back screw ups not cost the Red Sox the game and the Series.

People forget the Angels had that game won in the bottom of the inning.  Doug Decinces popped out to shallow right with one out and the winning run on 3rd base and the pretty terrible Steve Crawford on the mound.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #981 on: January 12, 2016, 10:07:15 AM »
Nothing will be worse for me than the Packers defeat in last years NFC Championship.  I was in shock for five minutes, despair for another ten, and then I was good.

I'm better than I used to be. Now, I'll get it all out of my system during the game, and I'm good afterwards.

But... two games have put me in a funk that lasted for days. That game, and MU-Stanford.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #982 on: January 15, 2016, 12:16:48 PM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #983 on: January 15, 2016, 12:30:17 PM »
San Antonio Raiders?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #984 on: January 15, 2016, 12:31:10 PM »
San Antonio Raiders?

Color scheme works.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #985 on: January 15, 2016, 12:34:56 PM »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #986 on: January 15, 2016, 03:04:00 PM »

Bad omen, the horn broke in the cold

ya think that might habve played a part in this?  hopefully we don't look too much like this or have any reason to-vikings fans reaction as filed goal sailed left-enjoy! ;D

http://dailysnark.com/compilation-hilariously-sad-reactions-vikings-fans-missed-kick/
don't...don't don't don't don't

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #987 on: January 15, 2016, 03:33:59 PM »
Poor Daryl Bevell, looks like all of the coaching vacancies got filled before the Seahawks were eliminated, maybe next year ya stinking badger.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #988 on: January 15, 2016, 04:40:17 PM »
Keep Pounding, Panthers!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #989 on: January 15, 2016, 04:44:36 PM »
San Antonio Raiders?
so happy we don't have to worry about Red McCombs anymore. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #990 on: January 16, 2016, 09:26:14 AM »

My son and I were talking about it again last night.  He asked if that is the greatest collapse I have ever seen.  I was hard pressed to find one greater because of all the things that had to happen.  It was surreal.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #991 on: January 16, 2016, 09:32:04 AM »
Yup.  I was on cloud 9 after that one.  I was very saddened to hear of Dave Henderson's very recent passing.  He was a victim of Rich Gedman and Bill Buckner too, in a way.  He hit the go ahead homer in the top half of the inning in World Series Game 6 and would have been an all-time cult hero in Boston had their back-to-back screw ups not cost the Red Sox the game and the Series.

People forget the Angels had that game won in the bottom of the inning.  Doug Decinces popped out to shallow right with one out and the winning run on 3rd base and the pretty terrible Steve Crawford on the mound.

A lot went wrong.  Entered the game with a 5-2 lead.  Don Baylor hits a 2 run homer off of Witt.  We're up 5-4, bring in Lucas who hits the first batter he faces...his first HBP in 4 years.  Then Moore gives up the two run dinger with 2 strikes.  Halos tie is in the bottom of the 9th and then have bases loaded with one out. Grich and DeCinces up.  Nothing.

Lose in extra innings.  Gene Mauch curse.  Angels curse.  Until 2002...I was there for games 6 and 7.  Magical.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #992 on: January 16, 2016, 10:36:19 PM »
Top receiver out for season.  Next best receiver lost early in the game tonight.  Rodgers still manages to get the Cardinals into OT.

McCarthy should have gone for 2.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #993 on: January 16, 2016, 10:48:15 PM »
Absolutely should have went for 2.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #994 on: January 16, 2016, 10:49:44 PM »
McCarthy consistently makes the wrong decisions but claiming he should have gone for 2 might be the dumbest second guess ever.

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #995 on: January 16, 2016, 10:51:58 PM »
I would have gone for two

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #996 on: January 16, 2016, 10:55:52 PM »
McCarthy consistently makes the wrong decisions but claiming he should have gone for 2 might be the dumbest second guess ever.

The only guarantee of possessing the ball again in the game is going for 2.

Zero guarantee of winning the coin flip, of getting possession back. You play to win.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #997 on: January 16, 2016, 10:56:47 PM »
I don't have a problem with kicking the extra point. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #998 on: January 16, 2016, 10:58:10 PM »
Top receiver out for season.  Next best receiver lost early in the game tonight.  Rodgers still manages to get the Cardinals into OT.

McCarthy should have gone for 2.

Palmer was God awful.

Ariens, what are you doing at the end of the game throwing the ball, and then 4th and 20 defense...and then hail mary defense?  Wow. 

Packers played really well.  Missed some interceptions as USC pro QB's continue to flounder year after year.  I feel bad for the Pack, thought they had this one or certainly the opportunities.  They played really well considering how short they were on the injury front.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #999 on: January 16, 2016, 11:02:34 PM »
I don't have a problem with kicking the extra point.

me neither. Might not have had a problem if he went for it. But I do have a problem with second guessers.