collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2015-16 NFC North/NFL thread  (Read 108590 times)

brandx

Re: 2015-16 NFC North/NFL thread
« Reply #375 on: October 13, 2015, 04:33:10 PM »
Full disclosure I half wrote that comment to see if Wade was the first to respond. I wasn't disappointed.

I'm letting Wades do the heavy lifting today ;D  (no matter how easy it is).

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #376 on: October 14, 2015, 08:15:42 AM »
But you took that as haters including you, even after it was clarified that it was the meathead Chicago media that lazily scapegoat individual players for a team devoid of talent.  Or people that claim he has no heart.  It wasn't a statistical argument.

This is a BAD team.  With an oft-maligned QB.  Cutler has been widely thought of as "weak" or a "quitter".  He and this team gutted out a pair of wins against teams that weren't great, no, but the Bears aren't either.  Nobody is using it as evidence of anything but pride in a team and QB for not quitting.  They could very well be 3-3 after a very winnable game next week.  That doesn't happen with Clausen.  Cutler isn't putting up HOF numbers or even great numbers for him (and nobody is saying he is), but he's gotten in done in a few key moments that lead to Ws. 

Its not ridiculous for Bears fans to be happy about that without you swooping in to crap on it with stats and mockery.  Basically you're saying he has to be perfect to be happy with his performance.  Most QBs make mistakes in the game, not all get chances to rectify them and then come through.

Well said.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #377 on: October 14, 2015, 08:24:52 AM »
But you took that as haters including you, even after it was clarified that it was the meathead Chicago media that lazily scapegoat individual players for a team devoid of talent.  Or people that claim he has no heart.  It wasn't a statistical argument.

This is a BAD team.  With an oft-maligned QB.  Cutler has been widely thought of as "weak" or a "quitter".  He and this team gutted out a pair of wins against teams that weren't great, no, but the Bears aren't either.  Nobody is using it as evidence of anything but pride in a team and QB for not quitting.  They could very well be 3-3 after a very winnable game next week.  That doesn't happen with Clausen.  Cutler isn't putting up HOF numbers or even great numbers for him (and nobody is saying he is), but he's gotten in done in a few key moments that lead to Ws. 

Its not ridiculous for Bears fans to be happy about that without you swooping in to crap on it with stats and mockery.  Basically you're saying he has to be perfect to be happy with his performance.  Most QBs make mistakes in the game, not all get chances to rectify them and then come through.

+1
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #378 on: October 18, 2015, 03:25:24 PM »
OMG, the Lions. Almost like they wanted OT.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #379 on: October 18, 2015, 03:30:27 PM »
The Lions will lose.   The question is what new and creative, previously unseen way will they find to do it?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #380 on: October 18, 2015, 03:58:19 PM »
Thank God that's over.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #381 on: October 18, 2015, 03:59:23 PM »
Skol Vikings! Way 2 go bears!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #382 on: October 18, 2015, 04:26:35 PM »
The roughing call on McPhee at the end of regulation was horrendous. The ref who threw it didn't even see the play.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #383 on: October 18, 2015, 04:42:31 PM »
The roughing call on McPhee at the end of regulation was horrendous. The ref who threw it didn't even see the play.

Worse than the non-call on the holding on Calvin's catch in OT?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #384 on: October 18, 2015, 04:51:37 PM »
Nah, the gift touchdown for Tate was the worst.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #385 on: October 18, 2015, 04:52:51 PM »

Does any player, ref, coach or executive know what a "catch" is anymore?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #386 on: October 18, 2015, 05:03:49 PM »
Payback for 2011?   

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #387 on: October 18, 2015, 06:39:58 PM »
As a Vikes fan I don't even care if GB wins this game or not.  Just please, never let my eyes see these awful uniforms again.  Are there any worse? 

Pitt's throw backs are equally bad but dear god......somebody needs to be fired over this choice.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #388 on: October 18, 2015, 07:10:47 PM »

I thought it was a catch, then again I thought Dez's was a catch, the game last week in Atlanta, etc.

This whole nonsense about going to the ground vs when they become a runner.  It's baffling, but in my view Tate's was a catch.

brandx

« Reply #389 on: October 18, 2015, 07:28:58 PM »
As a Vikes fan I don't even care if GB wins this game or not.  Just please, never let my eyes see these awful uniforms again.  Are there any worse? 

Pitt's throw backs are equally bad but dear god......somebody needs to be fired over this choice.

Couldn't agree more. Anything to make an extra buck.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #390 on: October 18, 2015, 08:11:52 PM »
Have to say that the 3rd uniform has grown on me.  Used to hate it now I'm ok with them.  I actually like the alternative theme sideline gear better than I like the traditional stuff.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #391 on: October 18, 2015, 09:24:36 PM »

I actually liked GB's uniforms today. But they still suck d. SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #392 on: October 19, 2015, 12:21:47 PM »
Thank God that's over.

The coaching decisions...

I understand the thought process behind 3 straight runs on the next to last possession to get the lions to burn TOs, but it's not like there was 1 minute left.  The way the Lions were moving the ball through the air, it would not be difficult for them to get down the field in 2 minutes.  Would like to see Gase be a little more adventurous in that spot. (Would like to echo these thoughts for OT.  Bears were finding success with Wilson and Jeffrey on the outside, and then went right back to the short stuff.) And then Fox and his clock management at the very end....  baffling.  The decision to allow the 10 second run off and letting 20 some seconds come off before calling a TO.

Those two stupid wins...  gave a guy a glimmer of optimism.

"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #393 on: October 19, 2015, 12:41:16 PM »
The coaching decisions...

I understand the thought process behind 3 straight runs on the next to last possession to get the lions to burn TOs, but it's not like there was 1 minute left.  The way the Lions were moving the ball through the air, it would not be difficult for them to get down the field in 2 minutes.  Would like to see Gase be a little more adventurous in that spot. (Would like to echo these thoughts for OT.  Bears were finding success with Wilson and Jeffrey on the outside, and then went right back to the short stuff.) And then Fox and his clock management at the very end....  baffling.  The decision to allow the 10 second run off and letting 20 some seconds come off before calling a TO.

Those two stupid wins...  gave a guy a glimmer of optimism.

I agree. At least try a safe pass on the 3rd and 4.  I didn't feel like 2:15 and no timeouts was that different than 2:25 and 1 timeout in regards to whether they were going to score or not.
Even more so with this team..... the expectations are rock bottom.... just give it a shot.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #394 on: October 19, 2015, 02:01:36 PM »
That's what is so frustrating.  Fox and Gase have done a great job with Cutler and then they take it out of his hands.  They weren't even clever runs to get Forte in space either.  The Lions CBs couldn't guard Jeffrey, the announcing crew called it out twice, and yet they didn't test them in OT.  I don't know how you trust your D to make big stops when they hadn't been very successful to that point, especially with a top 3 WR in football lurking.

I honestly didn't get pissed about the officiating until this morning cause they still should have won through it all.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #395 on: October 19, 2015, 02:15:54 PM »
That's what is so frustrating.  Fox and Gase have done a great job with Cutler and then they take it out of his hands.  They weren't even clever runs to get Forte in space either.  The Lions CBs couldn't guard Jeffrey, the announcing crew called it out twice, and yet they didn't test them in OT.  I don't know how you trust your D to make big stops when they hadn't been very successful to that point, especially with a top 3 WR in football lurking.

I honestly didn't get pissed about the officiating until this morning cause they still should have won through it all.

Oh, you didn't like the straight up the middle run, behind the rookie center?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #396 on: October 19, 2015, 02:48:13 PM »

The roughing on McPhee was pretty weak but, at the same time, that's what the league wants and though it was minor, it was unnecessary. The Tate TD call was a joke. That's another issue with replay - when they slow it down to super duper slo-mo then it looks like a catch even though he had it in his possession for only for a fraction of a second (i.e. not anywhere near long enough to be considered a catch).

As for the late game issues, part of me wonders if the Bears' coaching staff distrusted Stafford more than they trusted Cutler. Basically, they figured that both QBs can be mistake-prone so they took the ball out of Cutler's hands and bet on Stafford to err.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #397 on: October 19, 2015, 07:40:54 PM »
Didya all see that NFL Network interview in the Cinci locker room?  Opps.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #398 on: October 20, 2015, 10:36:06 AM »
Didya all see that NFL Network interview in the Cinci locker room?  Opps.

The concept of cameras and media in a locker room has never sat well with me.  Granted, most pro locker rooms have both "public" and "private" areas, but you knew it was only a matter of time before something like this happened sparking outcry from Mrs. Lovejoy et al.

Whatever.  It's nudity.  So what.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #399 on: October 20, 2015, 05:34:08 PM »
Even better.  Da Coach on MNF pre-game.  Hilarious.