Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 10:43:28 AM]

2025 Bracketology by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:46:57 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 08:06:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2015-16 NFC North/NFL thread  (Read 108555 times)

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Re: 2015-16 NFC North/NFL thread
« Reply #125 on: September 16, 2015, 11:38:39 AM »
Ludum habemus.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #126 on: September 16, 2015, 12:07:39 PM »
I was actually hoping the Bears would take Hundley but when all the "experts" picked apart his game, you could say that I cooled on him a little. As soon as GB drafted him my first thought was, "I was right! He's going to be good! S---!"

Haha he does look good.  It's always hard for me to tell, though.  I mean, Matt Flynn always looked great in the preseason and got a starter's paycheck based on 1 insane performance at New England (that, shockingly, the Packer's special teams ruined for him).  After that?  Terrible since he left Green Bay.

But, from the things I've heard Hundley is a really hard worker (in the video room a ton).  Oof the Packers media people said that of any QB who he has seen develop under McCarthy, Hundley has improved more in a smaller period of time than any other QB.  Now there was probably a lot more room for improvement than, say, a guy like Rodgers, who obviously didn't fall to the fifth round, plus Rodgers got to develop over multiple years, so I'm guessing Hundley won't continue that type of improvement.  But even though he never turned into a starting caliber quarterback, Flynn did improve a ton, as has Tolzien.  So it still says quite a bit about Hundley.  Plus, Hundley is a lot more physically gifted than Tolzien and Flynn ever were/will be.

We'll see.  It's certainly a nice value pick in the 5th round.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #127 on: September 16, 2015, 01:08:37 PM »
But, from the things I've heard Hundley is a really hard worker (in the video room a ton).  Oof the Packers media people said that of any QB who he has seen develop under McCarthy, Hundley has improved more in a smaller period of time than any other QB.  Now there was probably a lot more room for improvement than, say, a guy like Rodgers, who obviously didn't fall to the fifth round, plus Rodgers got to develop over multiple years, so I'm guessing Hundley won't continue that type of improvement.  But even though he never turned into a starting caliber quarterback, Flynn did improve a ton, as has Tolzien.  So it still says quite a bit about Hundley.  Plus, Hundley is a lot more physically gifted than Tolzien and Flynn ever were/will be.

We'll see.  It's certainly a nice value pick in the 5th round.

GB drafting Hundley is a perfect example of what a team can do when it drafts well. The Packers used a 5th Round pick on a third-string QB who has plenty of time to develop. A few picks earlier, the Bears selected a player who, ready or not, was the starting free safety in Week 1. For all we know, Adrian Amos could turn out to be an excellent safety and Hundley might be a career third-stringer, but being GB's position in the draft is where teams want to be.

Even Emery's best draft picks came with issues. The Bears traded up to get Jeffery even though it likely wasn't necessary and Kyle Long was a projected as a 2-3 Round pick who the Bears took 20th overall. Yes, he's proven to be a legit 1st Round talent, but the Bears would have been better off with Floyd or even Rhodes or Trufant in Round 1 and Long in Round 2, as opposed to Long in 1 and back-up LB Jon Bostic in Round 2.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #128 on: September 16, 2015, 02:13:35 PM »
GB drafting Hundley is a perfect example of what a team can do when it drafts well. The Packers used a 5th Round pick on a third-string QB who has plenty of time to develop. A few picks earlier, the Bears selected a player who, ready or not, was the starting free safety in Week 1. For all we know, Adrian Amos could turn out to be an excellent safety and Hundley might be a career third-stringer, but being GB's position in the draft is where teams want to be.

Even Emery's best draft picks came with issues. The Bears traded up to get Jeffery even though it likely wasn't necessary and Kyle Long was a projected as a 2-3 Round pick who the Bears took 20th overall. Yes, he's proven to be a legit 1st Round talent, but the Bears would have been better off with Floyd or even Rhodes or Trufant in Round 1 and Long in Round 2, as opposed to Long in 1 and back-up LB Jon Bostic in Round 2.

Difference in philosophy in drafting for need versus drafting based on value
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #129 on: September 16, 2015, 04:23:40 PM »
Therein lies the problem for the Bears (and many other teams). Who exactly is etc? You could probably throw Flacco, Romo and Wilson on that list, maybe Eli and Matt Ryan., and with these guys I'm beginning to reach. After that, it's a whole lotta not good, and seemingly getting worse every year, at the same time the guys on that list continue to get older and worse. It's looking like Peyton could come off the list today. Rothlesberger, Brees not far behind. The QB talent pool is shrinking, not getting bigger.

Hey, my man Cam Newton will make you eat them words!

(OK ... so it's wishful thinking.)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #130 on: September 17, 2015, 04:21:43 PM »
Bulaga sidelined during practice with "knee discomfort" on the knee he tore his ACL on in 2013.  AKA, he's done for the year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #131 on: September 18, 2015, 09:21:14 AM »
Im officially done betting on the Chiefs, and especially Andy Reid.  What an absolute buffoon.   The fumble was karma for how bad he managed that game.

Between him and Petrino's hilariously bad playcalling in the Louisville-Clemson game, it was a moronic offensive coaching masterclass.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #132 on: September 18, 2015, 09:25:42 AM »
What'd Petrino do?  Didn't watch any of that.

The last minute of that Broncos game was a nice 14 point swing in my favor in fantasy.  Have Emmanuel and the Broncos kicker, playing against Charles.

Too bad I also have CJ Anderson...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #133 on: September 18, 2015, 11:13:19 AM »
Bulaga sidelined during practice with "knee discomfort" on the knee he tore his ACL on in 2013.  AKA, he's done for the year.

Just an MCL sprain.  I can live with that.

Also, Thursday Night Football is 2 for 2 on good games so far this year.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #134 on: September 18, 2015, 11:44:08 AM »
What'd Petrino do?  Didn't watch any of that.

Brett Venebles, the Clemson DC, was blitzing the heck out of Louisville's QB all game.  Redshirt freshman, and they also rotated in an option guy who was little threat to throw.  In the face of an INSANE rush, Petrino called maybe 2 screens all game, one of which was on their last drive.  They basically either ran delayed handoffs inside or threw deep down the line.  If their ridiculous KR didn't take a KO to the house late in the 4th, they would have lost by 10-14.

They also got the ball, first down, at the Clemson 35 with 50 seconds left and ended up throwing a hail mary with 7 seconds left...on 3rd down.  It was HORRIBLE.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #135 on: September 18, 2015, 11:59:07 AM »
Brett Venebles, the Clemson DC, was blitzing the heck out of Louisville's QB all game.  Redshirt freshman, and they also rotated in an option guy who was little threat to throw.  In the face of an INSANE rush, Petrino called maybe 2 screens all game, one of which was on their last drive.  They basically either ran delayed handoffs inside or threw deep down the line.  If their ridiculous KR didn't take a KO to the house late in the 4th, they would have lost by 10-14.

They also got the ball, first down, at the Clemson 35 with 50 seconds left and ended up throwing a hail mary with 7 seconds left...on 3rd down.  It was HORRIBLE.

The sun was in his eyes.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #136 on: September 19, 2015, 03:32:37 PM »
Just an MCL sprain.  I can live with that.

Also, Thursday Night Football is 2 for 2 on good games so far this year.

Per twitter, also needs a meniscus repair

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #137 on: September 19, 2015, 05:06:56 PM »
SKOL Vikings. The CONSENSUS is set to strike back tomorrow!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #138 on: September 19, 2015, 06:02:53 PM »
SKOL Vikings. The CONSENSUS is set to strike back tomorrow!

Just like when the Packers went winless when Aaron Rodgers missed 6 straight games a few years ago and still won the Division, it's never been about the Division for the Packers.  It's whether they can overcome these injuries in terms of the Super Bowl.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #139 on: September 19, 2015, 06:04:31 PM »
Just like when the Packers went winless when Aaron Rodgers missed 6 straight games a few years ago and still won the Division, it's never been about the Division for the Packers.  It's whether they can overcome these injuries in terms of the Super Bowl.

Oh. Well then tough year for you, bruh.

The TRUE MEASURING STICK to be looked at is SUPER BOWL APPEARANCES.

Anything else is fluff.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #140 on: September 19, 2015, 06:46:51 PM »
Oh. Well then tough year for you, bruh.

The TRUE MEASURING STICK to be looked at is SUPER BOWL APPEARANCES.

Anything else is fluff.

Hahaha

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #141 on: September 20, 2015, 12:56:20 PM »
Cutler sucks. The Bears are only tied and not winning because Cutler is playing and not Clausen...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #142 on: September 20, 2015, 01:16:35 PM »
Cutler sucks. The Bears are only tied and not winning because Cutler is playing and not Clausen...

If you're cool with Cutler being your quarterback, enjoy never winning anything.  That's all I can really say about it.  And you can say whatever you want, but...

1 post season win.  In his 10th season now.

You're right, he's awesome.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #143 on: September 20, 2015, 01:27:01 PM »

Oops.

Ever heard the phrase "Karma's a b!tch?"

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #144 on: September 20, 2015, 01:31:33 PM »
Oops.

Ever heard the phrase "Karma's a b!tch?"

Nah, just you. Because Jimmy Clausen is obviously the answer...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #145 on: September 20, 2015, 01:35:04 PM »
Nah, just you. Because Jimmy Clausen is obviously the answer...

Not sure anybody's ever said Jimmy Clausen is better than Jay Cutler.  But hey, if you read that somewhere, cool!

Hilarious that you applaud Cutler for keeping his team tied in the 1st half (if that's not when you know you have a terrible quarterback, I don't know what is) and then he goes and throws a pick, and knocks himself out of the game trying to make a tackle.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #146 on: September 20, 2015, 01:42:34 PM »
Jimmy hasn't given the Cards great field position by turning the ball over yet like Jay did, though. So maybe you're onto something here...

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #147 on: September 20, 2015, 02:01:32 PM »
Not sure anybody's ever said Jimmy Clausen is better than Jay Cutler.  But hey, if you read that somewhere, cool!

Hilarious that you applaud Cutler for keeping his team tied in the 1st half (if that's not when you know you have a terrible quarterback, I don't know what is) and then he goes and throws a pick, and knocks himself out of the game trying to make a tackle.

Lol. The guy was 8-8 for 100+ with a TD and no TOs before the pick. What more do you want in a half?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #148 on: September 20, 2015, 02:30:14 PM »
Lol. The guy was 8-8 for 100+ with a TD and no TOs before the pick. What more do you want in a half?

How about not turn the ball over and set your opponent up for easy points?I don't know. I like that part in a QB. Maybe I'm alone there. Lol.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #149 on: September 20, 2015, 02:45:22 PM »
How about not turn the ball over and set your opponent up for easy points?I don't know. I like that part in a QB. Maybe I'm alone there. Lol.

I can't wait until a time where the Packers don't have a Favre or a Rodgers. Then we'll see your reaction to mediciore to decent QBs