[Today at 12:21:27 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Early look at the Big East.  (Read 10859 times)

muwarrior69

• All American

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
Re: Early look at the Big East.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 01:29:47 PM »
Marquette tied DePaul for ninth place in the league last season, so of course the only way to go is up. The Golden Eagles probably won’t contend for the Big East crown this season, but coach Steve Wojciechowski has laid the foundation for what should be a much-improved team.

They can expect a big boost from Henry Ellenson, a 6-foot-10 power forward from Rice Lake, Wisconsin, who is the No. 5-ranked player in the ESPN 100. Ellenson chose Marquette despite getting offers from Kentucky and Michigan State.

Clearly, ESPN didn't view our out of conference schedule this year.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 02:58:53 PM »
I cannot decide who was more disrespected. Creighton who actually tied MU for 9th and was not mentioned at all or DePaul who was incorrectly listed as tied with us for last place. I guess everyone is so use to DePaul finishing last that they assumed DePaul tied for last place.
After reading how little St. John's has coming back we should beat them twice this year.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 03:47:10 PM »
Hilarious at the bottom it says looking ahead to big east contenders and has SJU listed. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 06:14:15 AM »
I thought it was a reasonable well thought our article. Positive on the league and many of the programs.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 10:09:20 AM »
Ok, it's nice to be underrated!

I agree there are many unknowns about Marquette. Our season could either be one that dreams are made of (if everyone gels and integrates "just right") or a nightmare on Wisconsin Avenue (if the freshmen don't gel, if Luke's shoulder isn't what we think it will be, if Henry has growing pains and if our guards spent the summer at the Hillbilly School of Outside Shooting).

That said, I'm an optimist. I think Wojo learned a lot about himself last year. Our incomers are VERY, VERY Good and there's just enough there to make life miserable for whomever plays us.

The most significant problem I think we're going to have next year is.... road games. We are taking a big freshman class and putting on the road before 10,000 to 20,000 hostile fans even as many of them adapt to college life. These kids are traveling like they never did before and that takes time to get used to.

My suspicion is there will be a couple of ugly early season road losses, but by February... LOOK OUT!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 10:11:42 AM by dgies9156 »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 10:21:12 AM »
Ok, it's nice to be underrated!

I agree there are many unknowns about Marquette. Our season could either be one that dreams are made of (if everyone gels and integrates "just right") or a nightmare on Wisconsin Avenue (if the freshmen don't gel, if Luke's shoulder isn't what we think it will be, if Henry has growing pains and if our guards spent the summer at the Hillbilly School of Outside Shooting).

That said, I'm an optimist. I think Wojo learned a lot about himself last year. Our incomers are VERY, VERY Good and there's just enough there to make life miserable for whomever plays us.

The most significant problem I think we're going to have next year is.... road games. We are taking a big freshman class and putting on the road before 10,000 to 20,000 hostile fans even as many of them adapt to college life. These kids are traveling like they never did before and that takes time to get used to.

My suspicion is there will be a couple of ugly early season road losses, but by February... LOOK OUT!

I'm actually more worried about Wojo than I am about the players.  I think the players have a lot of talent and are going to be fine.  I just hope that the problem with last years team was a relative lack of talent and not an inability of our coach to make adjustments.

NBBomber

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 10:34:51 AM »
Couldn't agree more, dgies. I am of the belief that Marquette will be a load come tourny time. The question is, which tourny? If I was a betting man, I'd put it on the NCAA tourny. But that's me.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 11:02:56 AM »

I'm actually more worried about Wojo than I am about the players.  I think the players have a lot of talent and are going to be fine.  I just hope that the problem with last years team was a relative lack of talent and not an inability of our coach to make adjustments.
Tend to agree with the assessment, Sultan. Wojo has definitely proved that he can recruit, but the jury is still out on his X and O abilities. He gets a pass for last year, because the talent was limited (thank you Phony Cowboy), but there needs to be substantial improvement this year. With the cupcake schedule, and recruits, we should see at least about 18 wins this year, with the team improving as the year goes on.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 11:03:56 AM »

Which way are you leaning, or are you straight up and down?
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 11:06:25 AM »
I think Wojo is fine.  I think if he does well, the players are going to fall in and the season will be successful with either a low NCAA bid in about the 8-10 seed range or an NIT bid.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 01:39:53 PM »
I think Wojo is fine.  I think if he does well, the players are going to fall in and the season will be successful with either a low NCAA bid in about the 8-10 seed range or an NIT bid.

Thanks for your reply.  I’m having trouble making any kind of prediction for 15-16.  I feel good about us, I think incoming and returning players will blend well and we will be a solid team.  But I have no ideas of our opponents, maybe read/heard of some heralded players, but only bits and pieces of their team  Maybe there’s  another  dangerous New Jersey Institute lurking in the Buy games. 

I’m just happy how our team looks and thinking the future is bright.  But if Gun to Head I’m Guessing 19-20 wins

" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 07:28:43 PM »
I am expecting us to run about 17-14 this season.  I think the entire season depends on whether Duane can be a much more consistent scorer for us.  If he's putting up 15+ ppg and a true No. 1 option, we could be a real bear for the favorites in the BEast. Add in 12 from Henry, 10 from Luke, and 20 combined from JJJ, Cheatham, and Cohen and you're looking at a pretty dangerous offense.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 08:31:29 PM »
17-14 seems about right.    This coming season is the building block for 16-17 when havoc shall be wreaked and revenge taken.     To believe that this team is going to be a tourney contender, you have to anticipate the freshman class being Kentucky-esque in their impact.    Not impossible, but I certainly wouldn't make any large wagers in that direction. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 09:24:03 PM »
I am expecting us to run about 17-14 this season.  I think the entire season depends on whether Duane can be a much more consistent scorer for us.  If he's putting up 15+ ppg and a true No. 1 option, we could be a real bear for the favorites in the BEast. Add in 12 from Henry, 10 from Luke, and 20 combined from JJJ, Cheatham, and Cohen and you're looking at a pretty dangerous offense.

Luke was 11ppg last year and you think 10 from him? But anyways 15, 12 and 12 is about what I'm hoping for. For me it comes down to JJJ or Sandy being legit.
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2015, 10:12:32 PM »
17-14 seems about right.    This coming season is the building block for 16-17 when havoc shall be wreaked and revenge taken.     To believe that this team is going to be a tourney contender, you have to anticipate the freshman class being Kentucky-esque in their impact.    Not impossible, but I certainly wouldn't make any large wagers in that direction.

I don't think the freshman need to be good enough to go 39-0 to start the season in order for them to help us make the NCAA Tournament.

I expect 20 wins minimum this year, and am hopeful for 23.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2015, 10:25:53 PM »
For me it comes down to JJJ or Sandy being legit.

God help us...

Death on call

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2015, 11:47:49 PM »

Given his defensive tinkering, I don't think we have to worry about unwillingness to make adjustments.  More a matter of speed to get there when needed.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2015, 12:16:44 AM »
God help us...

Willing to accept cheatham or Wally as legit options as well... Essentially God help us
Maigh Eo for Sam

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2015, 07:30:38 AM »
A team that gels and learns to play together will be better than its strength by position. Without studying the other Big East teams this is my gut reaction were we are on a position basis.
C Fischer/Heldt - I have to believe we are in the top 3. That assumes Fischer's shoulder remains healthy. I expect Heldt to be a very good backup.
PF Ellenson/? I would say we are about 5th in Big East. We will be much higher, if Ellenson can play defense without fouling trouble. Many freshmen have trouble with this and because of Ellenson's offensive ability the other teams may concentrate on getting him in foul trouble. Ranking also hurt by no clear cut backup and no experience at position.
SF starter unknown JJJ, Cohen, Wally & Anim. I would say we are in the bottom three. Lots of depth and talent with little experience and no known defensive stopper. Cheatnam will need to concentrate on point guard position.
SG Wilson/ one of small forward candidates will be the back up. I would rank us in top 3. Duane, barring injury will have a great year.
PG Taylor/Cheatnam Dead last Two freshmen point guards with the back up not playing point in high school.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2015, 08:53:49 AM »
A team that gels and learns to play together will be better than its strength by position. Without studying the other Big East teams this is my gut reaction were we are on a position basis.
C Fischer/Heldt - I have to believe we are in the top 3. That assumes Fischer's shoulder remains healthy. I expect Heldt to be a very good backup.
PF Ellenson/? I would say we are about 5th in Big East. We will be much higher, if Ellenson can play defense without fouling trouble. Many freshmen have trouble with this and because of Ellenson's offensive ability the other teams may concentrate on getting him in foul trouble. Ranking also hurt by no clear cut backup and no experience at position.
SF starter unknown JJJ, Cohen, Wally & Anim. I would say we are in the bottom three. Lots of depth and talent with little experience and no known defensive stopper. Cheatnam will need to concentrate on point guard position.
SG Wilson/ one of small forward candidates will be the back up. I would rank us in top 3. Duane, barring injury will have a great year.
PG Taylor/Cheatnam Dead last Two freshmen point guards with the back up not playing point in high school.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by Carter and I think you'll see Duane play some 1 (not as his primary position, but probably more than Cheatham will).  It certainly doesn't put us as the best in the BE, or even in the top 1/2 necessarily, but we won't have the worst point guards in the league.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2015, 09:02:19 AM »
Luke was 11ppg last year and you think 10 from him? But anyways 15, 12 and 12 is about what I'm hoping for. For me it comes down to JJJ or Sandy being legit.

What did Luke average in the BEast last season? 8 or so.  Plus, adding Henry will cut in to Luke's touches on the block a bit.  Either way 10-12 is a reasonable expectation.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2015, 09:41:42 AM »
What did Luke average in the BEast last season? 8 or so.  Plus, adding Henry will cut in to Luke's touches on the block a bit.  Either way 10-12 is a reasonable expectation.
Assuming his shoulder will not limit him anymore he should score more than last year. I think 12 is a reasonable expectation.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2015, 09:45:29 AM »
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by Carter and I think you'll see Duane play some 1 (not as his primary position, but probably more than Cheatham will).  It certainly doesn't put us as the best in the BE, or even in the top 1/2 necessarily, but we won't have the worst point guards in the league.
Is there another Big East team that is going to be starting a freshmen point guard with no point guard back up? We have had the worst point guard in the Big East the last two years and I do not see that changing this year. Taylor could be 50% better than Derrick and we still most likely will have the worst point guard situation in the Big East with no experience and no true back up.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 09:49:24 AM by bilsu »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2015, 10:11:45 AM »

In just Big East he averaged 10.15 I would expect having a twin towers thing (think Chicago Bulls with Gasol and Noah or OKC when they had Perkins and Durant) will make both their averages be pretty decent I expect 11 or 12 each. Unlike Hutchwasclutch who expects Henry to be Jahlil okafor
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 10:16:13 AM by BagpipingBoxer »
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback