Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Austin Nichols transferring from Memphis  (Read 63019 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Austin Nichols transferring from Memphis
« Reply #175 on: July 14, 2015, 06:43:08 AM »
I agree with most of this and I was off. I screwed up, as did Sultan.

In addition to transfers needing to complete 3 credits before going on a foreign tour, they also must be eligible to compete for the upcoming season. [17.29.1.4.1.1(b)]

So... think back to a Trent Lockett.. he would have been fine to go on a foreign tour as a transfer... or a JUCO who is good to play immediately...

Rowsey as a 4-4 D-I transfer who must sit a year in residence is not. Sometimes I forget his former school was in fact D-I. I screwed up and should be covered in saran wrap and dumped upon by a beautiful girl.

Why waste the Saran Wrap, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #176 on: July 14, 2015, 12:36:20 PM »

MU_Beav

• Starter
« Reply #177 on: July 14, 2015, 01:07:53 PM »
Not looking good on the Nichols situation.  Duke in strong.  He wants to go to UVA, but Memphis won't budge on restrictions.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #178 on: July 14, 2015, 01:16:36 PM »
With his family hiring a lawyer to fight the restrictions it would certainly appear as though he isn't content with the current offers.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #179 on: July 14, 2015, 01:16:58 PM »
Not looking good on the Nichols situation.  Duke in strong.  He wants to go to UVA, but Memphis won't budge on restrictions.

Where you hear this?
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #181 on: July 14, 2015, 01:35:07 PM »
No surprise here. MU not likely to out recruit Duke regardless of the relationship with the lead recruiter, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #183 on: July 14, 2015, 02:11:13 PM »

From what I heard today, that would be a HUGE surprise.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #184 on: July 14, 2015, 02:12:28 PM »
woah woah, this cat is a traditional?

Is it time to cool on him?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #185 on: July 14, 2015, 02:19:17 PM »
My bad.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25241052/memphis-transfer-austin-nichols-eyes-virginia-but-duke-likely-destination

I could see the family challenging the Virginia restriction, though Memphis might actually win that one.

I would be beyond shocked if he went to Duke. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I would say there is a 0% chance he ends up there.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #186 on: July 14, 2015, 02:24:49 PM »

Care to share what it was you heard?
Maigh Eo for Sam

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #187 on: July 14, 2015, 02:32:25 PM »

Is what you heard only that he won't go to Duke or did your source also throw in that we're involved and have a shot?
Bring back FFP!!!

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #188 on: July 14, 2015, 02:44:52 PM »
Is what you heard only that he won't go to Duke or did your source also throw in that we're involved and have a shot?

Just that Duke is unlikely. Harry Giles, the number one player and power forward in 2016 is a near lock for Duke. The family doesn't want Nichols to transfer only to be recruited over.

Likely also takes Kentucky and Kansas out of the mix.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #189 on: July 14, 2015, 02:51:57 PM »
I just caught up on twitter. My guess is that the family wins the lawsuit against Memphis and he ends up at Virginia. His lawyer said that he wouldn't be surprised to see this go to federal court. Not sure why it would have to go that far unless he really wants to go to a school on the restricted list. Also, I saw something along the lines that his family is real tight with the family that UVA's gym is named after...which if so, why not go there in the first place?

Bring back FFP!!!

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #190 on: July 14, 2015, 02:55:09 PM »
I could see the family challenging the Virginia restriction, though Memphis might actually win that one.

I would be beyond shocked if he went to Duke. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I would say there is a 0% chance he ends up there.

Maybe Rothstein heard that Austin is talking a lot to the man who almost recruited him to Duke....
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #191 on: July 14, 2015, 03:01:24 PM »
I just caught up on twitter. My guess is that the family wins the lawsuit against Memphis and he ends up at Virginia. His lawyer said that he wouldn't be surprised to see this go to federal court. Not sure why it would have to go that far unless he really wants to go to a school on the restricted list. Also, I saw something along the lines that his family is real tight with the family that UVA's gym is named after...which if so, why not go there in the first place?

If he wants to go to Virginia badly enough, he should be able to swing a year's worth of tuition. 

I can't think of what the basis of his lawsuit would be.  Nor can I see him winning in time to get athletic aid from Virginia this year.  I've got to think that it's a bit late to be asking for financial aid for this fall, as well.

To get an injunction against the NCAA to allow Virginia to provide athletic aid this year, he would have to show irreparable harm if he doesn't get the injunction which is difficult to do.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 03:04:22 PM by LittleWade »

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #192 on: July 14, 2015, 03:06:06 PM »
If he can afford to sue Memphis, he could probably afford to pay his way to UVa.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #193 on: July 14, 2015, 03:08:57 PM »

There's a lot of bad blood between Memphis and UVA. One of the main families that bankrolls UVA is from Memphis. It also sounds like if there was tampering done, Memphis thinks it started with Virginia.

Pastner has done a good job at recruiting, but a poor job at managing the team. Tons of transfers, local kids get there and quickly decide they want out. He's going to lose his best player, and if they aren't dancing (and winning once they get there) he may be out of a job come April.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #194 on: July 14, 2015, 03:10:45 PM »

Agree, Duke is courting Wendell Carter Hard.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #195 on: July 14, 2015, 03:17:25 PM »
There's a lot of bad blood between Memphis and UVA. One of the main families that bankrolls UVA is from Memphis. It also sounds like if there was tampering done, Memphis thinks it started with Virginia.

Pastner has done a good job at recruiting, but a poor job at managing the team. Tons of transfers, local kids get there and quickly decide they want out. He's going to lose his best player, and if they aren't dancing (and winning once they get there) he may be out of a job come April.

That makes a lot of sense, if Austin's family is tight with the family who got Virginia's gym named after them.  Any tampering could have happened socially in Memphis without any UVa athletic department personnel involved.  A family that provides a lot of cash to Virginia's athletic department would have to be classified as boosters.  Maybe Virginia will think twice and back away from Nichols to save themselves some potential grief from the NCAA.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #196 on: July 14, 2015, 03:21:51 PM »
This whole situation is making me want Wojo to stay away. This could get real ugly, real soon.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #197 on: July 14, 2015, 03:27:16 PM »
This whole situation is making me want Wojo to stay away. This could get real ugly, real soon.

I disagree.  As things now stand, Virginia is the only school I see facing any scrutiny over this.  If they back away, Nichols will need somewhere else to land where there wouldn't be any question of tampering.  Assuming there's no smoke around the Al, there's no reason why MU can't be the beneficiary here.  I don't think that any of this really casts any kind of a pall over Austin.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #198 on: July 14, 2015, 03:35:02 PM »
I disagree.  As things now stand, Virginia is the only school I see facing any scrutiny over this.  If they back away, Nichols will need somewhere else to land where there wouldn't be any question of tampering.  Assuming there's no smoke around the Al, there's no reason why MU can't be the beneficiary here.  I don't think that any of this really casts any kind of a pall over Austin.

I don't have a problem with the tampering. I don't think Wojo would have that problem. I'm. More worried with the fact would he actually want to be at MU if he's fighting these restrictions so hard.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #199 on: July 14, 2015, 03:38:40 PM »

+1

If the kid goes to Virginia, so be it. If not, I would absolutely take him in a heartbeat. I think Memphis is a bad situation for just about anybody. Everything I've heard about Nichols is positive.

feedback