[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: True Detective, Season 2  (Read 16723 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: True Detective, Season 2
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2015, 03:55:16 PM »
People who say VV can't act truly don't really know good acting then.

The guy is real good. His issue is he picks a bunch of crappy comedies recently. He's at his best when he's improvising and going manic in things like Swingers, old School and Wedding crashers.

But watch Clay Pigeons, Domestic Disturbance/Psycho(even though both movies suck) and especially Return to Paradise(phenomenal). The dude can act.

He is currently raned 42nd in the top 50 worst actors in Hollywood history one one list.

He has been panned all year for this.  I was running the HBO business the last 6 years for DTV when I moved on last August.  When I heard he was one of the new actors, I cringed.  Just not in the same league.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2015, 06:41:58 PM »
He is currently raned 42nd in the top 50 worst actors in Hollywood history one one list.

He has been panned all year for this.  I was running the HBO business the last 6 years for DTV when I moved on last August.  When I heard he was one of the new actors, I cringed.  Just not in the same league.

Panned for this???

Uhhh no lol. The critic reviews are lukewarm on the season with like 65% ish on rotten tomatoes but VV has been high lighted as a bright spot on most reviews. Hit up rotten tomatoes if you want.

Now Kitsch, yeah you can say he's not in the same league.

Colin Farrel has been surprising in how good he is.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2015, 06:43:47 PM »
Agree. I think the people disappointed in Vince want him to be like he was in the comedies.

I like this season's True Detective better than last year's. More main characters means more time to develop all the backstories. Love the pace of the show. Love that the show doesn't rely on car chases or explosions or CGI.

I don't think I put it up there with 1 yet but I agree with you. I like that we got 4 conflicted characters who still have 5 episodes to be fleshed out.

People are trying to hard to compare this to S1 which isn't fair to begin with and just stupid when you consider we are not even half way thru the season yet.

Gotta let it all play out. See where the writers vision goes and then critique if you don't like it. But critique it as its own story.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2015, 12:17:01 AM »
Someone actually believes this season is better than last year's?  Well, I guess there is always someone somewhere.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2015, 08:24:09 AM »
I didn't even finish watching last night's episode.

Maybe we'll get around to finishing it later this week...but maybe not. We might have given up on the season.

It was that bad.

And the comments defending Vaughn's acting are funny. By all accounts he seems like a good guy and  the dude will certainly have a long comedic acting career, but he is unbearable in True Detective.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 10:19:30 PM by Bleuteaux »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2015, 09:19:18 AM »
I didn't even finish watching last night's episode. Me and my wife were bored.

Maybe we'll get around to finishing it later this week...but maybe not. We might have given up on the season.

It was that bad.

And the comments defending Vaughn's acting are funny. By all accounts he seems like a good guy and  the dude will certainly have a long comedic acting career, but he is unbearable in True Detective.

As I said a few weeks ago when they sent me episode 3 and 4, it picks up.  I'd finish episode 4, as it definitely picks up in a big way in the second half of the episode. 

Vaughn is not good.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2015, 09:37:18 AM »
The last 15 minutes were pretty intense. Not as epic as last season's mammoth tracking shot scene, but worth watching.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2015, 11:10:25 AM »
Alright, thanks for the info, we will finish it. We gave up with 30 minutes to go.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2015, 11:22:20 AM »
I didn't even finish watching last night's episode. Me and my wife were bored.

It was that bad.

It's not defending. It's literally what's right if you know acting at all.

Try watching his dramas once then.

Your the minority. Don't try and twist it.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2015, 12:16:50 PM »
It's not defending. It's literally what's right if you know acting at all.

Try watching his dramas once then.

Your the minority. Don't try and twist it.

LOL. Ok.

Dramas? Like Psycho? The one with 37% on Rotten Tomatoes?

Check out his ratings post 2008. They are terrible. The good ratings are all of his funny stuff from 2007 and prior, which I all agree with.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/vince_vaughn/

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2015, 01:55:33 PM »
My problem with VV in this show is none of the words feel like they're his character's. Every line feels like it's being delivered straight from the script.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2015, 02:01:07 PM »
I've really been hoping to see Kelly Reilly emerge as the villain of the piece. Just something about her, the right mix of innocence and deviltry. I'm not near as down on VV as many are, I think he's been decent, but I really like her villainous potential. Kill him off in E6 or so, let her prove to be the true devious brains behind his operation.

I am a little afraid they've neutered her too much the past two episodes, though, for that to work.

brandx

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2015, 05:50:08 PM »
I've really been hoping to see Kelly Reilly emerge as the villain of the piece. Just something about her, the right mix of innocence and deviltry. I'm not near as down on VV as many are, I think he's been decent, but I really like her villainous potential. Kill him off in E6 or so, let her prove to be the true devious brains behind his operation.

I am a little afraid they've neutered her too much the past two episodes, though, for that to work.

Very interesting character who seems to lack any sense of morality. And I like that they haven't made her a "main" character even though she may have a very big affect on the outcome of the show.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2015, 09:42:13 PM »
LOL. Ok.

Dramas? Like Psycho? The one with 37% on Rotten Tomatoes?

Check out his ratings post 2008. They are terrible. The good ratings are all of his funny stuff from 2007 and prior, which I all agree with.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/vince_vaughn/

Lol see that proves you don't know what you are talking about.

That's a rating for the MOVIE. The movie sucked. He was good. Great Gatsby blew...obviously The greatest actor of all time was still great in that movie.

Pre 2007? Clay Pigeons and Return to Paradise were drama he was heavily praised for well before 2007.

Obviously your just saying things at this point. So we will leave it there.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2015, 09:44:54 AM »

Funny how subjective and polarizing television is as I see Reilly in a terrible light who's never been good when she tries to play American. In this, she's too much like a Stepford Wife with her dull expressionless face for me to take her seriously.

Don't believe anyone is great in this but my rating of lead performance would be in pods:
a) McAdams/Farrell
b) Vaughn
p) Kitsch
z) Reilly

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2015, 10:29:01 AM »
Funny how subjective and polarizing television is as I see Reilly in a terrible light who's never been good when she tries to play American. In this, she's too much like a Stepford Wife with her dull expressionless face for me to take her seriously.

Funny, I see her like the typical sports movie girl who is getting in the way of the man trying to do what needs to be done.  Giving him a little grief about going back to basics to rebuild some capital, etc, instead of taking care of their baby issues.

I was hoping like brew that she was going to be a major player in this, but it seems she exists solely to be another obstacle for Vaughn to overcome as he attempts to recover and re-ascend.  This shown appears to be willing to take abrupt turns, so I suppose anything is still possible.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2015, 06:55:30 PM »
Eyes wide shut, hey?

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2015, 10:46:44 PM »
Eyes wide shut, hey?

Worst episode of the series so far

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2015, 06:20:34 AM »
Worst episode of the series so far

Shows how subjective taste can be. I feel it's continued to get better as it went and thought this week was solid. They've done a good job ratcheting up the tension. I also thought this was Vaughn at his best.

It still hasn't hit the heights of last year but it hasn't been as bad as most want to make it out to be. I'd love to see the reviews in a vacuum. I really think season 1 is coloring everyone's opinion of this.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2015, 06:31:45 PM »
http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/true-detective-season-2-episode-7-black-maps-and-motel-rooms/

Vince Vaughn has played the bad guy very well the last couple episodes. Also, his wife's boobs are awesome

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2015, 08:19:54 PM »
http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/true-detective-season-2-episode-7-black-maps-and-motel-rooms/

Vince Vaughn has played the bad guy very well the last couple episodes. Also, his wife's boobs are awesome

VV was good last night...agree

tower912

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2015, 09:10:55 PM »
A lot to tie up in 90 minutes.    But there were loose threads in season 1 and we all survived.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2015, 12:03:42 PM »
Seeing the badass Frank was awesome.

This season really picked up from the gunfight to end Ep 4 to now.

Sunday's episode was probably the best TD episode of both seasons. Simply great.

S1 was brilliant tv but it didn't end fantastically the last couple episodes. This season seems to be the opposite, starts a little slow and ramps up. If it sticks the landing we could have a legit comparison.

This season is also more in depth and bold.

Hopefully the finale delivers

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2015, 07:38:14 AM »
This week's episode was good. Tension was well built. For me it still hasn't reached the heights of Season 1 (tracking shot episode was ridiculously amazeballs), but it's improved consistently and I'm looking forward to the finale.

I also like the development of Vaughn. They've done a good job building him up as that guy you aren't sure if you should cheer for or against. That's actually one thing I like about many of these characters. Vaughn is the guy who built himself from nothing only to see it all being taken away. Why he does what he does makes sense. Velcoro turned after his wife's rape, it all makes sense. That's the part of this show I really like. Bezzerides, Paul, their storylines are understandable and relatable.

This is definitely a show that should improve with a second viewing. I'm confident there's stuff from the first couple episodes that will be missed, and that the storyline will become even more clear a second time around.

feedback