[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[April 19, 2024, 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Make the most out of life, people  (Read 1848 times)

MU82

• All American
Make the most out of life, people
« on: April 11, 2019, 10:21:22 AM »
Just found out today that a sportswriter acquaintance of mine died at age 62 from pancreatic cancer. His name was Rob Gloster, and most recently he worked in AP's San Francisco bureau. I got to know him during our time covering a couple of Olympics together. Just a real good guy, the kind of person who would do anything for you.

https://apnews.com/87564f3c945f48f89cd8614e17aa2425?fbclid=IwAR3XjdN4oiUFv2GGrnL_20x1VceeKIPZM1rdWDKTe9GVoeasGuoS20o_0ms

We weren't super-close, as we had seen each other only a couple of times since I left AP to be a columnist 20+ years ago. I didn't even know he had cancer. So even though I'm bummed, I'm not looking for condolences or anything.

The purpose of this is just today's little reminder that not a single one of us knows when our time will be up ... so we all owe it to ourselves and our loved ones to emphasize the real important stuff, to live good lives, to embrace the wonderful people around us, to immerse ourselves in our passions, to avoid confrontation for the sake of confrontation, and to focus on the things we can control to make ourselves and our world better.

I don't always succeed at doing all of that stuff all of the time, but I try.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Make the most out of life, people
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 11:14:23 AM »
Agree
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 11:41:14 AM »
MU82

Great advice. Thank you for the reminder!!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 01:15:47 PM »
+100
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 01:43:50 PM »
Great post, Mike. It’s too bad we need to be reminded of this occasionally.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 01:48:27 PM »
No.  I am going to stay bitter, irrational, and vindictive.   

How do you want to be remembered?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 02:05:00 PM »
#PrayersUp
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 03:51:22 PM »
#PrayersUp

If that's what helps you get the most out of life, my friend, absolutely.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 06:33:16 PM »
I just posted about the death of former Expo and Cub Scott Sanderson. He too was 62. Another wonderful human being.

Excellent advise. In these divisive times, we can at least usually agree on what matters.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

noblewarrior

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2019, 12:52:54 PM »
I echo everything 82 stated here...

Also.... reconciliation!  Get to confession people. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2019, 02:01:34 PM »
I just posted about the death of former Expo and Cub Scott Sanderson. He too was 62. Another wonderful human being.

Excellent advise. In these divisive times, we can at least usually agree on what matters.

Times have divisive for decades.  This isn’t a new thing, and in some parts of the country or world it has been centuries.

My dad died at 62, heart attack.  My wife’s father, also at 62.  Way too young
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2019, 06:39:39 PM »
I haven't minded getting old. Hitting the "big 4-0" and then the "big 5-0" didn't bother me, and the big 6-0 is fast approaching.

But one thing really, really does suck about it, and it's that some of my loved ones, friends and acquaintances are dying off.

I musta gone 20 years without any of the folks I knew as a kid dying, and now it seems every few months somebody goes.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2019, 11:28:22 PM »
Life is a gift. Treat it as such. Do not expect perfection in others or yourself. We are built flawed from day one. Care about others and embrace your passions.You will then find satisfaction from following your path, not anothers. Money is important for survival, not  for happiness. Treat youself with kindness and you will do the same for others. Do not worry about dying. It is not scary just disappointing. Enjoy the gift each day for one day it will be your last. On that day you will reflect on your life. Live a full life and you will not be disappointed. Family and friends make a life  whole and are the reason for being. Cherish them. I know. Four years ago I was brought back to share this gift with you.. All my days have been special ever since. Make your days special too.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2019, 05:25:26 AM »
Life is a gift. Treat it as such. Do not expect perfection in others or yourself. We are built flawed from day one. Care about others and embrace your passions.You will then find satisfaction from following your path, not anothers. Money is important for survival, not  for happiness. Treat youself with kindness and you will do the same for others. Do not worry about dying. It is not scary just disappointing. Enjoy the gift each day for one day it will be your last. On that day you will reflect on your life. Live a full life and you will not be disappointed. Family and friends make a life  whole and are the reason for being. Cherish them. I know. Four years ago I was brought back to share this gift with you.. All my days have been special ever since. Make your days special too.

Inspirational, 71. Thanks.