collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Will the stock market crash (June 24 2016 Update)?  (Read 117910 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Will the stock market crash Monday (August 23 Update)?
« Reply #100 on: August 24, 2015, 11:08:44 PM »
I had to watch an hour long video today of Thomas Friedman (NY Times) and Randall Stephenson (CEO of AT&T) for a training event.  It was excellent, and Friedman at his best (which is tough for me to say sometimes).

He made some very relevant statements, including the earth is flat.  Not literally flat, but flat as in so many people have access to information now.  It's no longer about how smart you are your knowledge base, anyone can get that now.  It's about motivation, persistence, etc.  Knowledge is becoming a dime a dozen commodity.

He spoke much about the middle class and how in the 1950's a guy could drop out of high school and get a gig to buy a house, work 30 years, pay for his family to go to school, retire, etc.  As he said, those days are long gone.  The social contract has changed and will change much more in the next 20 years.  It is going to be up to the individual now more than ever.  You will be given the tools, you have access to the information, it's up to you.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #101 on: August 24, 2015, 11:25:21 PM »

He spoke much about the middle class and how in the 1950's a guy could drop out of high school and get a gig to buy a house, work 30 years, pay for his family to go to school, retire, etc.  As he said, those days are long gone.  The social contract has changed and will change much more in the next 20 years.  It is going to be up to the individual now more than ever.  You will be given the tools, you have access to the information, it's up to you.

And that's exactly the problem.

Up until very recently, a guy who's had hard luck or not all that bright could work hard, buy a house, raise a family and put his kids through school without going into hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt.

No longer is that the case

Today, the people who have the money celebrate how underemployed their employees are and blame it on the employees and the public for not being smarter or not catching the breaks they had.

ALL of my best friends graduated from Marquette more than a decade ago. They ALL have pretty good jobs. NONE of them say their kids will ever be going to Marquette. It's not in the financial cards

The downward spiral will go deep. But bootstraps and such...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #102 on: August 24, 2015, 11:34:48 PM »
And that's exactly the problem.

Up until very recently, a guy who's had hard luck or not all that bright could work hard, buy a house, raise a family and put his kids through school without going into hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt.

No longer is that the case

Today, the people who have the money celebrate how underemployed their employees are and blame it on the employees and the public for not being smarter or not catching the breaks they had.

ALL of my best friends graduated from Marquette more than a decade ago. They ALL have pretty good jobs. NONE of them say their kids will ever be going to Marquette. It's not in the financial cards

The downward spiral will go deep. But bootstraps and such...

They don't celebrate it, that's crazy talk. 

Friedman also mentioned that the guy that quit high school, joined a union and that worked great for awhile, but in the long run it led to high of costs in that flat world, where everyone can compete.  He also spoke of bootstraps, but not using that term.  The tools are there, everyone has a chance to succeed. In fact, he argued greater today than at any other time in history, but it is up to the individual to do it.  Gov't isn't going to be there to do it for you.

Sorry, I disagree that people are celebrating it.  The reality is, you better be motivated, go to school, work in school, be aggressive and better breaks will come your way. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #103 on: August 24, 2015, 11:44:31 PM »

Friedman also mentioned that the guy that quit high school, joined a union and that worked great for awhile, but in the long run it led to high of costs in that flat world, where everyone can compete.  He also spoke of bootstraps, but not using that term.  The tools are there, everyone has a chance to succeed. In fact, he argued greater today than at any other time in history, but it is up to the individual to do it.  Gov't isn't going to be there to do it for you.

Sorry, I disagree that people are celebrating it. The reality is, you better be motivated, go to school, work in school, be aggressive and better breaks will come your way.

There are people who can't or won't succeed in structured, academic environments. And I'm not talking about any certain socioeconomic class or race or whatever. I'm talking good, hard-working people who just aren't meant for college. It seems, in present day and for the future, that you're implying people must keep educating themselves in school to get ahead. Well, again, there are people out there that that path is not meant for them. What are their options?

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #104 on: August 24, 2015, 11:51:53 PM »

Sorry, I disagree that people are celebrating it.  The reality is, you better be motivated, go to school, work in school, be aggressive and better breaks will come your way.

Sorry, your "everyone" is reality's  much smaller percentage of the population.

In the last 30 years wages have gone up something like 10% and college costs have gone up hundreds of % points.

That's not exactly an even playing field where "everyone" can succeed, even if their bootstraps are up to their nuts

Execs celebrate underemployment of their people all the time. You celebrate union busting, not having to collectively bargain, trimming labor costs, taking away benefits. All for the bottom line, making those at the top and already wealthy stockholders even wealthier

But the worker should be ashamed of himself, even vilified, for not being born in the most awesome way possible, and is instead an evil taker that wants to get paid a fair amount for his labor and maybe raise a family

« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 12:37:19 AM by MUsoxfan »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #105 on: August 25, 2015, 06:26:25 AM »
Love oil stocks in the $30's for the long haul.  Love, love, love them.

That is because most people don't realize that oil companies actually make a crap ton of money through other energy resources of which they are investing heavily in.

Take a closer look here.

Oil companies are losing fantastic sums of money ... amounts that no one thought was possible.  Their losses are so great that it is actually depressing overall GDP.

They cannot survive with oil at these levels.  They need it closer to $70, not under $40.  This is is going to cause mass bankruptcies.  And their is no reason for the price to rise because the world overproduces.  The reason it overproduces  is the largest source of demand is China (ie., China buys 22 million new cars a year versus 17 million for the US) and there economy is in deep trouble.

The economics of this sector is a horror show.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 06:29:04 AM by Heisenberg »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #106 on: August 25, 2015, 06:40:02 AM »
http://slopeofhope.com/2015/08/the-raging-fire-within.html

I’ve been trading the stock market for nearly thirty years, virtually non-stop. Today (that is, Monday, August 24) easily ranks in the top five strangest, craziest days in the thousands upon thousands of trading days I’ve ever witnessed. I felt like I was entering a cage of gorillas that had just ingested a large quantity of PCP. It felt dangerous and really, really unpredictable.

I tend to think in metaphors and analogs, so here is what I have in mind for your consideration: think about a forest. In a large forest, from time to time, there are naturally-occurring fires. These take place due to, say, a lightning strike, and what happens is that all the dry underbrush lights up and damages the forest to a certain degree. Some trees are killed. Some animals are killed. There is loss.

But, once the fire burns out of its own accord, life begins anew. The soil is rich with nutrients. More sunlight gets through to the surviving trees, and they flourish. The forest grows stronger. And, sooner or later, another fire will take place, but through this repeating cycle, in spite of Bambi getting killed from time to time, things improve and are relatively stable.

The same can be said for a financial market which is allowed to rise and fall based on naturally-occurring market forces. Some people get hurt along the way. Some people prosper. But, on the whole, the system works, and it works in such a way that it is fair and, in the grand scheme of things, beneficial.

What we have, instead, is a forest that hasn't been allowed to catch fire. The forest has been drenched with water every day, for years on end, to ensure that no spark can take hold. Lightning still takes place, but it is simply snuffed out on wet tinder. The layers of dead limbs, leaves, and other crinkly detritus accumulate on the ground, and soon you have a forest that is several feet deep in tinder.

So, in this instance, when a spark manages to get through, you don't have a run-of-the-mill fire: you have an apocalypse. The natural give-and-take of the organic system has been suppressed, and a towering inferno rages with a ferocity that seems surreal. You have, at long last, a calamity on your hands.

And that, my friends, is that we've been witnessing the past few trading days. Fire Marshall Yellen (and retired Fire Marshall Bernanke) have utterly perverted the natural order of things, and we are only now beginning to pay the price. The fire, I firmly believe, has only just started. We will indeed have some violent relief rallies along the way, but my only conclusion is that the sensational bearish setups are firmly in place and, once the bounce is complete, you will be witness to a fury of plunging price quotes that will, in the end, prove that Monday, August 24th, was simply a shot across the bow.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #107 on: August 25, 2015, 07:49:16 AM »

The fire, I firmly believe, has only just started. We will indeed have some violent relief rallies along the way, but my only conclusion is that the sensational bearish setups are firmly in place and, once the bounce is complete, you will be witness to a fury of plunging price quotes that will, in the end, prove that Monday, August 24th, was simply a shot across the bow.

If you truly believe that, you should probably sell all of your equities and stick the cash in a coffee can.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #108 on: August 25, 2015, 08:10:45 AM »
Take a closer look here.

Oil companies are losing fantastic sums of money ... amounts that no one thought was possible.  Their losses are so great that it is actually depressing overall GDP.

They cannot survive with oil at these levels.  They need it closer to $70, not under $40.  This is is going to cause mass bankruptcies.  And their is no reason for the price to rise because the world overproduces.  The reason it overproduces  is the largest source of demand is China (ie., China buys 22 million new cars a year versus 17 million for the US) and there economy is in deep trouble.

The economics of this sector is a horror show.

Long term my friend, long term.    You're also focusing on the oil side, like I said these are energy companies not just oil.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #109 on: August 25, 2015, 08:13:55 AM »
Sorry, your "everyone" is reality's  much smaller percentage of the population.

In the last 30 years wages have gone up something like 10% and college costs have gone up hundreds of % points.

That's not exactly an even playing field where "everyone" can succeed, even if their bootstraps are up to their nuts

Execs celebrate underemployment of their people all the time. You celebrate union busting, not having to collectively bargain, trimming labor costs, taking away benefits. All for the bottom line, making those at the top and already wealthy stockholders even wealthier

But the worker should be ashamed of himself, even vilified, for not being born in the most awesome way possible, and is instead an evil taker that wants to get paid a fair amount for his labor and maybe raise a family

I celebrate union busting because it costs jobs and hurts people in the long run.   That is a difference, a huge difference.

As for college costs....yup, they've gone up very high.  Why is that?  Student loans given out like candy making it "more affordable", labor costs through the roof, etc.     Follow the money.  You think Hillary's plan to make college more "affordable" by throwing another $500 billion at it is going to lower the costs.  LOL.  Follow the money. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #110 on: August 25, 2015, 09:43:35 AM »
Long term my friend, long term.    You're also focusing on the oil side, like I said these are energy companies not just oil.

These are the most cyclical of all companies.  Their is openly booms and busts.

Long term you make no money.,  Have to time these companies.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #111 on: August 25, 2015, 09:49:09 AM »
These are the most cyclical of all companies.  Their is openly booms and busts.

Long term you make no money.,  Have to time these companies.

In the old days, when they were oil only, I would agree.  My dad worked for years for Exxon, Getty, Unocal as a Petroleum Geologist \ Geophysicist.  They are much more diverse now.

I'm playing it long. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #112 on: August 25, 2015, 09:53:52 AM »
If you truly believe that, you should probably sell all of your equities and stick the cash in a coffee can.

Thats only if you are a buy and hold passive investor.  As an active trader/investor, which Heisenberg would classify himself as I'm sure, I would rather have the market correct  2000 pts on the DJIA instead of just waffling around.  I had one of my best days in a LONG time on Friday and did well yesterday.  Plenty of money to be made on the downside.  And its not just shorting stocks, plenty of inverse ETFs that you can invest in just like a normal long position in a stock.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #113 on: August 25, 2015, 12:20:23 PM »
http://slopeofhope.com/2015/08/the-raging-fire-within.html

I’ve been trading the stock market for nearly thirty years, virtually non-stop. Today (that is, Monday, August 24) easily ranks in the top five strangest, craziest days in the thousands upon thousands of trading days I’ve ever witnessed. I felt like I was entering a cage of gorillas that had just ingested a large quantity of PCP. It felt dangerous and really, really unpredictable.

I tend to think in metaphors and analogs, so here is what I have in mind for your consideration: think about a forest. In a large forest, from time to time, there are naturally-occurring fires. These take place due to, say, a lightning strike, and what happens is that all the dry underbrush lights up and damages the forest to a certain degree. Some trees are killed. Some animals are killed. There is loss.

But, once the fire burns out of its own accord, life begins anew. The soil is rich with nutrients. More sunlight gets through to the surviving trees, and they flourish. The forest grows stronger. And, sooner or later, another fire will take place, but through this repeating cycle, in spite of Bambi getting killed from time to time, things improve and are relatively stable.

The same can be said for a financial market which is allowed to rise and fall based on naturally-occurring market forces. Some people get hurt along the way. Some people prosper. But, on the whole, the system works, and it works in such a way that it is fair and, in the grand scheme of things, beneficial.

What we have, instead, is a forest that hasn't been allowed to catch fire. The forest has been drenched with water every day, for years on end, to ensure that no spark can take hold. Lightning still takes place, but it is simply snuffed out on wet tinder. The layers of dead limbs, leaves, and other crinkly detritus accumulate on the ground, and soon you have a forest that is several feet deep in tinder.

So, in this instance, when a spark manages to get through, you don't have a run-of-the-mill fire: you have an apocalypse. The natural give-and-take of the organic system has been suppressed, and a towering inferno rages with a ferocity that seems surreal. You have, at long last, a calamity on your hands.

And that, my friends, is that we've been witnessing the past few trading days. Fire Marshall Yellen (and retired Fire Marshall Bernanke) have utterly perverted the natural order of things, and we are only now beginning to pay the price. The fire, I firmly believe, has only just started. We will indeed have some violent relief rallies along the way, but my only conclusion is that the sensational bearish setups are firmly in place and, once the bounce is complete, you will be witness to a fury of plunging price quotes that will, in the end, prove that Monday, August 24th, was simply a shot across the bow.

This is why I get so annoyed when people celebrate capitalism here in the US. We don't have capitalism. Bailouts, too big to fail, etc, etc. If it were really capitalism, things/businesses/people would crumble from time to time, regardless of who was affected.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #114 on: August 25, 2015, 12:24:50 PM »
I celebrate union busting because it costs jobs and hurts people in the long run.   That is a difference, a huge difference.

As for college costs....yup, they've gone up very high.  Why is that?  Student loans given out like candy making it "more affordable", labor costs through the roof, etc.     Follow the money.  You think Hillary's plan to make college more "affordable" by throwing another $500 billion at it is going to lower the costs.  LOL.  Follow the money.

Yup. I'll let my good friend, Mark, take it from here:

http://totalfratmove.com/mark-cuban-demolishes-hillary-clintons-student-debt-proposal/

*Yes, I realize that website is ridiculous, but it's the only place I could find the full transcript of what he said

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #115 on: August 25, 2015, 12:28:56 PM »
In the old days, when they were oil only, I would agree.  My dad worked for years for Exxon, Getty, Unocal as a Petroleum Geologist \ Geophysicist.  They are much more diverse now.

I'm playing it long.

So you have lost 25% to 50% of your money this year, because that  is what they have done.  You need a double to break-even.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #116 on: August 25, 2015, 12:32:50 PM »

For the record, I did not write that.  It was written by the "Slope of Hope" blog that was linked at the top of the post.

I posted it here because of this comment ....

What happened yesterday (and may happen the rest of the week) is one of the strangest day anyone has ever seen ... me included.

Those that wave it off as a typical summer day simply do not know what they are talking about.  They should put their money in a balance fund run by a manager with a good track record and never think about the market again.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #117 on: August 25, 2015, 12:49:00 PM »

What happened yesterday (and may happen the rest of the week) is one of the strangest day anyone has ever seen ... me included.

Those that wave it off as a typical summer day simply do not know what they are talking about.  They should put their money in a balance fund run by a manager with a good track record and never think about the market again.

I agree that the causes, nature and speed of the ups and downs are changing, so nobody really knows what makes a day "typical" anymore.  And I suspect that yesterday will look strange enough in retrospect to have market analysts talking about it for a number of years, much like the flash crash in 2010.

But long term, the market will continue to do what it has always done - go up and down, but ultimately mostly up.  Just like it did both before and after the flash crash.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #118 on: August 25, 2015, 02:19:35 PM »
I agree that the causes, nature and speed of the ups and downs are changing, so nobody really knows what makes a day "typical" anymore.  And I suspect that yesterday will look strange enough in retrospect to have market analysts talking about it for a number of years, much like the flash crash in 2010.

But long term, the market will continue to do what it has always done - go up and down, but ultimately mostly up.  Just like it did both before and after the flash crash.

Anatomy of '1,000 flash crashes': What went wrong
 Jeff Cox   | @JeffCoxCNBCcom
21 Hours Ago

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/08/24/anatomy-of-1000-flash-crashes-what-went-wrong.html

Monday's stock market action was bound to be messy, but it was made even worse by a major technical pile-up just as the session got underway.

Dubbed by one trader "1,000 flash crashes," the market opened to tumult in which multiple stocks and in particular exchange-traded funds cascaded lower as orders failed to get filled and prices went ballistic.

In all, 1,278 so-called circuit breakers—trading halts imposed when shares fall to various levels—were tripped across the major exchanges as the Dow Jones industrial average surrendered more than 1,000 points early on, according to New York Stock Exchange officials. The number of tripped breakers was believed to be a record, with ARCA's 999 the most, with the Nasdaq next at 194. A typical day sees fewer than 10.

Traders speculated that the invoking of Rule 48, which is used to head off panic trading but in this case seemed to chase market makers at the opening, was at fault. The rule allows stocks to open without price quotes ahead of time.

Monday's stock market action was bound to be messy, but it was made even worse by a major technical pile-up just as the session got underway.

Dubbed by one trader "1,000 flash crashes," the market opened to tumult in which multiple stocks and in particular exchange-traded funds cascaded lower as orders failed to get filled and prices went ballistic.

In all, 1,278 so-called circuit breakers—trading halts imposed when shares fall to various levels—were tripped across the major exchanges as the Dow Jones industrial average surrendered more than 1,000 points early on, according to New York Stock Exchange officials. The number of tripped breakers was believed to be a record, with ARCA's 999 the most, with the Nasdaq next at 194. A typical day sees fewer than 10.

Traders speculated that the invoking of Rule 48, which is used to head off panic trading but in this case seemed to chase market makers at the opening, was at fault. The rule allows stocks to open without price quotes ahead of time.

Read MoreMarket Circuit Breakers: CNBC Explains
Trader on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange.
Brendan McDermid | Reuters
Trader on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange.

"Bids seemed to vanish," said Dave Lutz, head of exchange-traded funds at Jones Trading.

Lutz said multiple ETFs plunged at the open, were halted, reopened and hit limits, then were halted again.

"Given many of these are U.S. underlying (it's) staggering to me these dislocations," he added. "As stocks broke sharply on the U.S. open, triggering halts, it seems the ETF arbitrage community opted to sit out the first few minutes."

A number of ETFs fell well below their net asset value, or the value of the underlying stocks that make up the respective funds.

Those funds losing more than 40 percent of their value at one point included the First Trust Dow Jones Internet Index, First Trust Consumer Discretionary AlphaDEX, iShares Global Healthcare, PowerShares Global Water Portfolio and iShares Russell Mid-Cap Value.

"The flash crashes happened today in the ETF market," said Joe Saluzzi, a principal at Themis Trading. "There was a problem pricing some of these ETFs, and that's something that needs to be looked at."

Traders wrestled with the wisdom of invoking Rule 48.

"Part of the reason they have 48 in place is they don't have the manpower to accurately deal with 2,900 stocks opening and 2,900 stocks where there's going to be this huge imbalance in opening direction, be it buy side or sell side," said Peter Costa, a governor with the NYSE and president of Empire Executions. "Rule 48 gives them time to open accurately."

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #119 on: August 25, 2015, 03:36:26 PM »
Holy crap what a disaster today was!

Up 441 points (2.7%) and closed down more than 200 points (1.3%).  Now back to the down 1100 lows of yesterday.  Technicians will tell you this kind a reversal is not good.

Since 1977 (because High, Low, Close is only available since this date)  The last time the market was up more than 2.5% intraday and closed down more than 1%

1/23/1987
10/3/2008
10/10/2008
10/29/2008
8/25/2015

@bespokeinvest 11m11 minutes ago
The S&P 500 hasn't had three consecutive closes at least 4 standard deviations below its 50-DMA since 5/15/40. Happened today.

May 1940 would be the middle of the Battle of Britain when it was touch and go whether the British Empire would survive.

Is the equivalent of that happening now (replace China or Britain)

------------------

The takeaway from the above is the market is under some serious stress, the likes we have rarely seen in the last few generations. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #120 on: August 25, 2015, 07:02:04 PM »
outstanding analysis of why obammy's economy is a farce.  the fed. reserve needs to butt out.  it isn't their job to micro/macro manage our economy.  the QE is artificially inflating the market and keeping the interest rates low. unfortunately, they really need to be where they belong-higher.  i sure don't want them higher, but people are being lured into a false sense of security here.  banks have been getting sloppy again.  what happens when things are artificial?  they don't hold up to the real deal-eventually the cream rises to the top and when it does, it's gonna stink.  i think it's starting to get a little ripe already

http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-fine-fed-mess-1440197469
don't...don't don't don't don't

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #121 on: August 25, 2015, 07:56:39 PM »
outstanding analysis of why obammy's economy is a farce.  the fed. reserve needs to butt out.  it isn't their job to micro/macro manage our economy.  the QE is artificially inflating the market and keeping the interest rates low. unfortunately, they really need to be where they belong-higher.  i sure don't want them higher, but people are being lured into a false sense of security here.  banks have been getting sloppy again.  what happens when things are artificial?  they don't hold up to the real deal-eventually the cream rises to the top and when it does, it's gonna stink.  i think it's starting to get a little ripe already

http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-fine-fed-mess-1440197469

The policy of the Fed keeping interest rates artificially low hardly is Obama's doing.  That's been going on since the Greenspan years.  Increasing interest rates would be harmful in the short run, but in the long run would be good. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #122 on: August 25, 2015, 08:10:31 PM »

The policy of the Fed keeping interest rates artificially low hardly is Obama's doing.  That's been going on since the Greenspan years.  Increasing interest rates would be harmful in the short run, but in the long run would be good.

QE started under Bernanke the month after Obama was elected.

While Bush appointed Bernanke, Obama did reappoint him in 2010

QE was approved of, and continued by, Janet Yellen, who Obama appointed last year.

So Obama's fingerprints are all over QE.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #123 on: August 25, 2015, 08:11:35 PM »
Keeping interest rates artificially low pre-dates QE. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #124 on: August 25, 2015, 08:17:44 PM »
Keeping interest rates artificially low pre-dates QE.

I can't imagine that private entities would ever do such a thing like artificial manipulation of financial sectors...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forex_scandal