[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Shaka interview by Jay Bee
[April 30, 2024, 09:36:41 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 30, 2024, 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: #askwojo  (Read 7837 times)

Pakuni

• All American
#askwojo
« on: June 23, 2015, 05:56:19 PM »
Wojo is hosting a Twitter Q&A at 10 a.m. Thursday.
Use the hashtag #askwojo

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: #askwojo
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 06:04:06 PM »
Ax 'im when we're gonna get some basketball happenin's. This off season political thread chit sucks, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 06:35:00 PM »
Curious what his first memory of marquette basketball was. I mean he would've been a senior in High School watching his future team against us in the sweet 16, was that it? orrrr what?
Maigh Eo for Sam

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 09:05:32 PM »
Ax 'im when we're gonna get some basketball happenin's. This off season political thread chit sucks, ai na?

Surprised you haven't chimed in on some salsa.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 10:22:42 PM »
I want to know when they're heading to Italy and who they're playing.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 12:29:15 AM »
Can Wojo dunk? Anybody know?
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 11:07:18 AM »
What in the world is up with SportVU?

I haven't heard anything about MU's use of this.  My hunch is that we have all this data but nobody knows what to do with all of it.  It's my current understanding that even NBA teams still don't know what to do with the mountains of data that they have.  Nevertheless I'd be curious what Wojo has to say about it, and about analytics more generally

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 09:36:06 AM »

I haven't heard anything about MU's use of this.  My hunch is that we have all this data but nobody knows what to do with all of it.  It's my current understanding that even NBA teams still don't know what to do with the mountains of data that they have.  Nevertheless I'd be curious what Wojo has to say about it, and about analytics more generally

The good news for MU is that Duke has the cameras installed in Cameron, so Wojo came in with experience with the system.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 09:41:01 AM »

I haven't heard anything about MU's use of this.  My hunch is that we have all this data but nobody knows what to do with all of it.  It's my current understanding that even NBA teams still don't know what to do with the mountains of data that they have.  Nevertheless I'd be curious what Wojo has to say about it, and about analytics more generally

I think that might be a great reason to keep it quiet. A lot of people can afford tools to aggregate 'big data', but the analyzing all of that data will be the proprietary piece. IF we're leveraging that data and IF it's valuable for our team, then we should either play our cards close to our chest so that we have a competitive advantage OR we should figure out a way to monetize it and fund our Athletics Department for years to come.

Just my opinion.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 09:42:28 AM »

I have taken a couple of tours of The Al, and they specifically mentioned this as an advantage MU has over most teams.  I don't remember then specifically calling it by name, but they talked about the concept. They have been using it even in the Buzz days.
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 09:44:08 AM »
I think that might be a great reason to keep it quiet. A lot of people can afford tools to aggregate 'big data', but the analyzing all of that data will be the proprietary piece. IF we're leveraging that data and IF it's valuable for our team, then we should either play our cards close to our chest so that we have a competitive advantage OR we should figure out a way to monetize it and fund our Athletics Department for years to come.

Just my opinion.

Why would they need to keep it a secret?  There is nothing any other team can do about it.  They aren't going to change their on-court behavior just because we have the ability to analyze it.
Have some patience, FFS.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 09:48:16 AM »
Why would they need to keep it a secret?  There is nothing any other team can do about it.  They aren't going to change their on-court behavior just because we have the ability to analyze it.

No, I was saying that we keep the way that we're analyzing data a secret.

As in, if we play other teams that have the same SportVU system in place but they're doing a poor job analyzing the data we could maintain a competitive advantage.

My assumption is that we have the SportVU data and we have to do our own analysis, and other teams have to do their own analysis. That assumption could be way off base, though.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 10:09:58 AM »

As in, if we play other teams that have the same SportVU system in place but they're doing a poor job analyzing the data we could maintain a competitive advantage.

My assumption is that we have the SportVU data and we have to do our own analysis, and other teams have to do their own analysis. That assumption could be way off base, though.

Oh, then I agree about that.  I think I remember them saying that they partner with the Bucks on the analysis part - which is a great idea - but I could be thinking that they simply said they have access to the data because the Bucks installed the system.
Have some patience, FFS.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 10:22:53 AM »
https://twitter.com/steve_wojo/status/614089457961181184

Steve Wojciechowski
‏@steve_wojo
Probably in the same place as my Weezer CD. #mubb 

Steve Wojciechowski added,
Aaron Duke @duker
@steve_wojo #askwojo where is my #Walkman?
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 10:27:57 AM »
Couple interesting tidbits.

First, Rowsey can't go to Italy per NCAA rules.  So I guess that would mean that Washington couldn't either.  That's unfortunate.

Second, he said that MU will still be playing some 2/3 zone next year.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 10:34:39 AM »

Hahahaha!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2015, 10:37:57 AM »
Didn't answer any of my questions I'm officially no longer a wojo fan  :'(

Kidding.

But seriously I wanted to know if they were trying to work something out with ND, when we'll get new uniforms and what his first memory of Marquette basketball was. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2015, 10:41:43 AM »
Good mix of questions answered.  Appreciated the humor involved too.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2015, 11:19:29 AM »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2015, 12:14:21 AM »

Last I remember, MU, Duke, and Louisville were the only ones with cameras installed/had access to the cameras.

In theory, St. John's, Villanova, and Georgetown should be able to get to their NBA arena cameras.  But I don't think anyone's required to share their VU data with anyone else, but I presume the opposite is true for NBA teams.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

feedback