Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Offers 2016 SF Brendan Bailey  (Read 26162 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
MU Offers 2016 SF Brendan Bailey
« on: June 06, 2015, 01:51:49 AM »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: MU Offers 2016 SF Brendan Bailey
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 07:42:26 AM »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 08:25:25 AM »
How many total offers do we have out for 2016?

By my count (and I may miss a few) we have 10 offers out technically...

1. Sam Hauser, 6'6" SF Committed, but until he signs his NLI, it's still only an offer.
2. Amir Coffey, 6'7" SG Has been a top target for awhile. Mark Miller (the MU name worth following) picked him to Marquette on Crystal Ball.
3. Javin Montgomery-DeLaurier, 6'9" PF Top-40 PF that has received a ton of offers recently.
4. Cassius Winston, 6'1" PG Rowsey likely indicates Wojo thought Winston would be too tough to pry out of Michigan.
5. Kevin Huerter, 6'5" PG Big, physical point can also play off the ball, but can't see another PG after Rowsey. Wojo did have an in-home a couple months ago.
6. Myles Powell, 5'11" PG Another point that likely wouldn't be taken with Rowsey in the fold.
7. Lamar Stevens, 6'6" SF Unlikely, but an offer was extended awhile ago before Hauser committed. More physical than Sam, but not near the shooter.
8. Brendan Bailey, 6'8" SF Former ASU commit offered after Stan Johnson joined the fold.
9. Emmanuel Malou, 6'9" PF JUCO player (I believe will have 2 years eligibility) is raw but talented.
10. Kyle Washington, 6'9" PF Transfer, but would take a 2016 scholarship so I included him. Visiting Marquette as I type this.

Now, how many of those offers stand? Obviously Hauser, who is committed. On the other hand, I don't believe Winston, Huerter, and Powell are still being actively pursued by Marquette. Stevens is also someone we offered awhile ago, not sure the staff is still actively after him.

My guess is Washington and Coffey could commit at any time. DeLaurier is a long-shot. Bailey and Malou I suspect are backup plans to Coffey and Washington, respectively.

Then of course there's Kostas Antetokounmpo. In addition to 247 having him ranked #21 and a 5-star, Scout's new rankings have him ranked #70 and climbing the rankings. The kid is as raw as the sashimi I ate last night, but there may not be more than a handful of players in the country with more potential. Even if there isn't a Marquette offer next to his name, Wojo and company are involved.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 08:53:45 AM »

1. Sam Hauser, 6'6" SF Committed, but until he signs his NLI, it's still only an offer.
2. Amir Coffey, 6'7" SG Has been a top target for awhile. Mark Miller (the MU name worth following) picked him to Marquette on Crystal Ball.
3. Javin Montgomery-DeLaurier, 6'9" PF Top-40 PF that has received a ton of offers recently.
4. Cassius Winston, 6'1" PG Rowsey likely indicates Wojo thought Winston would be too tough to pry out of Michigan.
5. Kevin Huerter, 6'5" PG Big, physical point can also play off the ball, but can't see another PG after Rowsey. Wojo did have an in-home a couple months ago.
6. Myles Powell, 5'11" PG Another point that likely wouldn't be taken with Rowsey in the fold.
7. Lamar Stevens, 6'6" SF Unlikely, but an offer was extended awhile ago before Hauser committed. More physical than Sam, but not near the shooter.
8. Brendan Bailey, 6'8" SF Former ASU commit offered after Stan Johnson joined the fold.
9. Emmanuel Malou, 6'9" PF JUCO player (I believe will have 2 years eligibility) is raw but talented.
10. Kyle Washington, 6'9" PF Transfer, but would take a 2016 scholarship so I included him. Visiting Marquette as I type this.

Now, how many of those offers stand? Obviously Hauser, who is committed. On the other hand, I don't believe Winston, Huerter, and Powell are still being actively pursued by Marquette. Stevens is also someone we offered awhile ago, not sure the staff is still actively after him.

My guess is Washington and Coffey could commit at any time. DeLaurier is a long-shot. Bailey and Malou I suspect are backup plans to Coffey and Washington, respectively.

Then of course there's Kostas Antetokounmpo. In addition to 247 having him ranked #21 and a 5-star, Scout's new rankings have him ranked #70 and climbing the rankings. The kid is as raw as the sashimi I ate last night, but there may not be more than a handful of players in the country with more potential. Even if there isn't a Marquette offer next to his name, Wojo and company are involved.

Great stuff.  Thanks.  Quick question.  Are back up targets told to hold off?  In other words,  are offers made conditionally?

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 09:06:41 AM »
Good job, how about 2017 next?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 09:07:28 AM »

Great stuff, brew. Everything I needed to know in one detailed, insightful post. Thanks!
β€œIt’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 09:12:17 AM »
Great stuff.  Thanks.  Quick question.  Are back up targets told to hold off?  In other words,  are offers made conditionally?

Not sure how Wojo words it. Many of the offers come down to how a recruit interprets what the staff says. With the most recent offers of Bailey and Malou, for example, did Wojo call and say "I'd like to offer you a scholarship to Marquette" or did Johnson call and say "We're very interested in the possibility of bringing you to Marquette."? A player could view either as a scholarship offer, but the former would be a lot more concrete than the latter.

The most concrete offers will be the ones that come on campus. Saying something like "we will be watching you this summer and would like to get you on campus to offer you a scholarship" is another thing that could be interpreted as an offer, but puts the contingency of continuing to evaluate their play and ultimately the firm offer will come if and when the player and school arrange the on-campus visit.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 11:39:33 AM »
Great job BREW CITY Stay away from the raw sashimi Need more reports like this from you.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 03:47:58 PM »
Great information, thanks for posting this! A Washington commitment in the next few days would be super.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 06:08:52 PM »
Thank you Brew.  I don't quite understand the terms of offers, especially when more offers are made than we have room for.  Are there time limits?  Or is it "first come, first serve"?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2015, 06:17:14 PM »
Thank you Brew.  I don't quite understand the terms of offers, especially when more offers are made than we have room for.  Are there time limits?  Or is it "first come, first serve"?

Offers really mean nothing. All it means is that a school is interested. If a player says "yes I'll commit" coach can say "not yet. Youre a backup plan for another player"
TAMU

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 08:32:33 PM »
I know we are down to 1 scholarship for 2016. Brew City didn't mention---Paschal Chukwu from Providence, Josh
Cunningham from Bradley and Chris Olivier from Eastern Illinois. I know these players were once mentioned. Are
they on our list? Hope not. Any word.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2015, 08:42:19 PM »
I know we are down to 1 scholarship for 2016. Brew City didn't mention---Paschal Chukwu from Providence, Josh
Cunningham from Bradley and Chris Olivier from Eastern Illinois. I know these players were once mentioned. Are
they on our list? Hope not. Any word.

Olivier commited to Oklahoma state. Chukwu is from providence and can't transfer to another big east school. No word on Cunningham.

I dont think any of these three have ever been linked to marquette since they left they're old schools
TAMU

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2015, 11:33:47 PM »
I do not know how Wojo's work. Tom Crean said that the offer was not good until the recruit visited and the players voted on accepting the recruit. Buzz got commitments from a few players before they even visited. I suspect Wojo is more like Crean in that he wants to make sure the player fits in.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2015, 07:27:42 PM »
Olivier commited to Oklahoma state. Chukwu is from providence and can't transfer to another big east school. No word on Cunningham.

I dont think any of these three have ever been linked to marquette since they left they're old schools

Cunningham is down to Dayton and Illinois.......MU was never mentioned with him

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2015, 08:13:53 AM »
Brendan Bailey is coming to Marquette this weekend for an official visit.  Marquette picked up a prediction today on 247...for what that's worth.  If they pull this off, we can thank Stan Johnson. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2015, 08:17:12 AM »
And apparently will be doing a Mormon mission after this season.  So I guess that means he wouldn't be going anywhere until 2018?

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2015, 08:17:38 AM »
Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein  57m57 minutes ago
2016 wing Brendan Bailey will take an official visit to Marquette this weekend, source told @CBSSports. Top-75 player in class.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2015, 08:36:27 AM »
And apparently will be doing a Mormon mission after this season.  So I guess that means he wouldn't be going anywhere until 2018?

Somebody help me with this?  Why would a guy do an 'official' to possibly verbally commit for the Class of '18?  That makes no sense to me.  He was a '16 verbal to ASU, correct?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2015, 08:44:48 AM »
Somebody help me with this?  Why would a guy do an 'official' to possibly verbally commit for the Class of '18?  That makes no sense to me.  He was a '16 verbal to ASU, correct?

My guess is (and that's all it is) he would technically enroll at MU in 2016 but not actually start playing/taking classes for 2 years.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2015, 08:49:27 AM »
My guess is (and that's all it is) he would technically enroll at MU in 2016 but not actually start playing/taking classes for 2 years.

And NOT count against the scholarship limit?  I can't imagine Wojo using his last '16-'17 slot on a guy who won't be here for 2 years.  He'd need to be Michael Jordan.  Somebody here must know how the Mormon mission situation is handled by BYU.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2015, 08:51:20 AM »
I don't think he would enroll if he goes on the mission.  I wonder how set he is on going on his mission after this year too.  That can always change.  Regardless if he commits, there will obviously be no NLI signed nor offered.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2015, 09:22:14 AM »

Mormon players who are on mission do not count towards scholarship limit. But they often commit right out of high school because they won't have a chance to showcase themselves for the next two years.
TAMU

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2015, 09:24:21 AM »
Mormon players who are on mission do not count towards scholarship limit. But they often commit right out of high school because they won't have a chance to showcase themselves for the next two years.

Ding, ding chicken dinner.  Thanks TAMU.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2015, 09:24:50 AM »

This.  Matty V also said that there was no scholly toll until 2018 as well. In case you wanted non-scoop confirmation.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.