collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: One of the weirdest stories out there  (Read 24721 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: One of the weirdest stories out there
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2015, 05:55:10 PM »
Buncha transphobia up in here. You guys are embarrassing sometimes.

I am no more afraid of transgendered people than I am of gays than I am of rabbits.

Bruce Jenner on the cover of Vanity Fair as a woman is odd. That isn't a pejorative. It is relativist perspective on life known as Absurdism.

Everyone wants to start accusing people of bad intent or evil design. Someone known as a man suddenly appears on the cover of a magazine as a woman is odd.

If I were to see a rabbit smoking a cigarette it would strike me as odd.

You either Absurdism or you don't but it seems to me that you are the Absolutist in this case. Now that is actually funny...

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2015, 05:57:51 PM »
Can't all of the above be courageous?

I suppose Jenner's internal struggle could be seen as a personal victory of some sort but I think it a stretch to suggest he has done something courageous.

Courage is like the word education; it means many different things.

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2015, 07:22:45 PM »
Kinda like a "retired number," hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2015, 09:27:37 PM »

Someone known as a man suddenly appears on the cover of a magazine as a woman is odd.

Reality TV, tabloids and TMZ are things i know exist but never entertain (and have distain for).  Yet in my daily daily life at the grocery check out, buying gas, unable to mute the table next to me, it was obvious months ago that she was going to declare her gender.  This was hardly 'suddenly'.

Now a rabbit smoking a cig?  I'm shocked! 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2015, 09:36:11 PM »
Clarification help: This dude didn't get the dils chopped off right? He's still got a dong?

It's a bizarre story to me, especially at age 67 or whatever he is. I don't understand it.

To Jenner, hey do whatever you need to.....but people calling him courageous is nonsense. He knew he would be / is being "embraced" by many for doing this.

You can't even be a sane person who says, "uhhh, this is some weird sh1t. Look at that dude" and not be called insensitive, awful, sexist (?), etc... which is bizarre... because this whole thing is bizarre.

Just like being gay is in 2015 for many - you'll be accepted by many. Courageous? Meh.

Maybe they can put a mural of this weirdo on the wall where Assata was, a'inal?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2015, 09:51:01 PM »
interesting comment from someone who has a Schmidt's gay avatar.

Why's that? That skit doesn't make fun of gay men more than any Coors commercial with straight men drooling over large breasted children. It's a satire of poor 90s Budweiser commercials and a commentary of the public reaction of gay men to that satire.

Besides the point, I'm sure you also defend yourself against gay marriage by declaring children will not be able to understand why another child has two fathers.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2015, 10:03:05 PM »
Clarification help: This dude didn't get the dils chopped off right? He's still got a dong?

Just so you know, that is considered to be basically the rudest question you can ask a transgender person.  It's none of your business.
Have some patience, FFS.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2015, 10:10:57 PM »
1. The word you're looking for is she, not he/she.
2. It takes courage to publicly identify as transgender in a society that is incredibly transphobic, as evidenced by this thread, including your belittling implication that the award is because she posed for Vanity Fair.

So gender is not assigned at birth.  It is whatever I say it is this week.

Can you also self-identify your race too?  Because if you can, can someone born white make decide to self-identify themselves as, say, a black female when applying for a job or college because they believe such identification will increase their chances of acceptance?

Just asking.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2015, 10:14:43 PM »
Here Are All the Different Genders You Can Be on Facebook

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2014/02/13/facebook_custom_gender_options_here_are_all_56_custom_options.html

Facebook on Thursday added more than 50 custom gender options for users who don't identify simply as "male" or "female." While this was welcome news to LGBTQ advocates, the company did not publish a list of all the options, leaving users to begin typing into an empty text field in order to bring up a drop-down menu of autocomplete choices. (The site does not seem to allow users to simply leave the field blank, or to type in a gender identifier that is not among the preset options.)

Facebook told me it has no plans to publish a comprehensive list of the choices it offers. So we took it upon ourselves to reconstruct it by typing each letter of the alphabet into the text field, one at a time, and transcribing the options that appeared. We found 56 custom options, bringing the total number of options to 58 including male and female. Please note that it's possible that the list below is not complete. If you find one that we missed, please feel free to point it out in the comments and we'll update accordingly.

Agender
    Androgyne
    Androgynous
    Bigender
    Cis
    Cisgender
    Cis Female
    Cis Male
    Cis Man
    Cis Woman
    Cisgender Female
    Cisgender Male
    Cisgender Man
    Cisgender Woman
    Female to Male
    FTM
    Gender Fluid
    Gender Nonconforming
    Gender Questioning
    Gender Variant
    Genderqueer
    Intersex
    Male to Female
    MTF
    Neither
    Neutrois
    Non-binary
    Other
    Pangender
    Trans
    Trans*
    Trans Female
    Trans* Female
    Trans Male
    Trans* Male
    Trans Man
    Trans* Man
    Trans Person
    Trans* Person
    Trans Woman
    Trans* Woman
    Transfeminine
    Transgender
    Transgender Female
    Transgender Male
    Transgender Man
    Transgender Person
    Transgender Woman
    Transmasculine
    Transsexual
    Transsexual Female
    Transsexual Male
    Transsexual Man
    Transsexual Person
    Transsexual Woman
    Two-Spirit

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2015, 12:01:42 AM »
Just so you know, that is considered to be basically the rudest question you can ask a transgender person.  It's none of your business.

Oh, I could probably come up with a few questions that make that not seem too rude. If someone publicly parades that they're transgender, I fail to understand why asking a potentially related question is rude. I guess we're talking the diff of what? How you see yourself and what you are?

I know that some ppl simply choose to be gay. Probably the same with this stuff too
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2015, 12:51:18 AM »

According to whom?

In Washington state, a very liberal place, people sent to jail get locked up according to their birth gender genitalia. If you are Bruce Jenner at lock up, but tell people you are really "Caitlin" Jenner and should be sent to the women's facility, if you are still packing you get housed with the lads.

People saying that Bruce Jenner has courage might not have ever seen genuine heroism. I have seen men risk their lives for others. I am certain men like Tower has too. To compare some self-absorbed identity crisis with authentic courage is an insult to the brave men and women who risk everything while serving others.

I have 14 bros in the ground. Bruce Jenner's struggle with trying to live life as a woman is nothing compared with the extraordinary valor and genuine courage those 14 men demonstrated every day. Frankly, Bruce Jenner isn't worthy to carry the Under Armour base layer of any Air Commando I know. When people declare Bruce Jenner's struggle as valorous or courageous they do nothing but cheapen its meaning for the real heroes of this world.

Death on call

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2015, 02:01:34 AM »
Courage is relative but I think there's some general consensus as to what is deemed truly courageous.

Malala, to me, is more courageous than Jenner.
SS Marquette

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2015, 03:38:42 AM »

Malala, to me, is more courageous than Jenner.

There is no comparison between Malala and Jenner. Hers is a remarkable story. She risks her own life fighting for the rights and dignity of millions of others. Bruce Jenner grandstands what should be a very personal, private identity self-issue that has very little relevance for anyone.

To honor Malala as courageous then characterize Jenner's 'struggle' as having some equivalent nobility is ludicrous. Malala is a champion of human rights and is fighting truth, justice, and the legitimate inherent dignity of every person. Jenner is a self-absorbed, churlish boor cynically capitalizing on his psychological demons.

Death on call

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2015, 06:53:04 AM »
Oh, I could probably come up with a few questions that make that not seem too rude. If someone publicly parades that they're transgender, I fail to understand why asking a potentially related question is rude. I guess we're talking the diff of what? How you see yourself and what you are?

I know that some ppl simply choose to be gay. Probably the same with this stuff too
People don't choose to be gay just like people don't choose to be straight.  If you believe that it's a choice either 1) you met someone who acted as if they were gay (not the same as being gay), 2) you have never actually met a gay person, or 3) you are amazingly ignorant about sexual orientation other than your own.

I'll give you that not so long ago it was a popularly held belief that it could be a choice but understanding and science have shown that to be totally wrong just like white people aren't smarter than black people, women aren't too emotional to serve in the armed forces, having gay service men/women won't destroy moral and gingers aren't unholy soulless demons. 

It's 2015, time to be a bit more enlightened. 

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2015, 07:00:10 AM »
Why's that? That skit doesn't make fun of gay men more than any Coors commercial with straight men drooling over large breasted children. It's a satire of poor 90s Budweiser commercials and a commentary of the public reaction of gay men to that satire.

Besides the point, I'm sure you also defend yourself against gay marriage by declaring children will not be able to understand why another child has two fathers.

Yes I have seen the skit. I guess you get to pick and choose what offends you. Plus the avatar is tired and not funny.

As far as your 2nd paragraph, I’m not sure where the hell you are going with that or how you know what I think. Obviously making assumptions about people’s beliefs’ to make yourself appear self-righteous is ok with you.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2015, 07:40:19 AM »

Asking anyone about their genitals is rude, with the exception of some of the chat rooms that you hang out in.
Have some patience, FFS.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2015, 07:41:27 AM »
A lot of people using a lot of words to defend their bigotry.

I hope I don't become this closed minded as I age.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2015, 07:43:20 AM »
Plus the avatar is tired and not funny.

OOOOOooooo.....BUUUURRRRRNNNN!!!!!!!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2015, 07:44:30 AM »
There is no comparison between Malala and Jenner. Hers is a remarkable story. She risks her own life fighting for the rights and dignity of millions of others. Bruce Jenner grandstands what should be a very personal, private identity self-issue that has very little relevance for anyone.

To honor Malala as courageous then characterize Jenner's 'struggle' as having some equivalent nobility is ludicrous. Malala is a champion of human rights and is fighting truth, justice, and the legitimate inherent dignity of every person. Jenner is a self-absorbed, churlish boor cynically capitalizing on his psychological demons.   

Who said that Jenner was more courageous than Malala?  Why must people create strawmen to make their points?

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2015, 08:12:59 AM »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2015, 08:21:58 AM »
From my perspective, there is plenty of room in this situation for everyone to be "right."  I think Caitlyn Jenner is very sincere and has endured significant pain and struggles for a long time.  I think it takes courage to go public with something like this, but nowhere near as much courage as shown by people who put their lives on the line to serve others.  And, finally, I think that she learned very well from the Kardashians and has orchestrated this entire situation for maximum exposure for her and to increase interest in her forthcoming reality show.  I don't think that means she's not sincere -- although truth be told, it does make me think a bit less of the courage aspect.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2015, 08:24:05 AM »
From my perspective, there is plenty of room in this situation for everyone to be "right."  I think Caitlyn Jenner is very sincere and has endured significant pain and struggles for a long time.  I think it takes courage to go public with something like this, but nowhere near as much courage as shown by people who put their lives on the line to serve others.  And, finally, I think that she learned very well from the Kardashians and has orchestrated this entire situation for maximum exposure for her and to increase interest in her forthcoming reality show.  I don't think that means she's not sincere -- although truth be told, it does make me think a bit less of the courage aspect.

Well said.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2015, 08:34:44 AM »

So if I put on a wig and called myself Susie, you wouldn't care if I walked into the women's locker room when you were changing?

I am not "for" or "against" what Jenner is doing, and happen to think it's a very sincere change.  But the genital question could be VERY relevant in certain situations.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 08:36:50 AM by GooooMarquette »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2015, 09:17:36 AM »
So if I put on a wig and called myself Susie, you wouldn't care if I walked into the women's locker room when you were changing?

I am not "for" or "against" what Jenner is doing, and happen to think it's a very sincere change.  But the genital question could be VERY relevant in certain situations.

Because the question as to whether it's okay for a trans woman is allowed to use women's facilities depends on whether or not her male junk is cut off?

For the record, it is my understanding that presurgery or not, the overwhelming number of trans people bend over backwards to be discreet about this.  It's not like they are all strolling naked into the community shower going, "Check this out, fellow beyotches!"
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2015, 09:41:51 AM »
Because the question as to whether it's okay for a trans woman is allowed to use women's facilities depends on whether or not her male junk is cut off?

For the record, it is my understanding that presurgery or not, the overwhelming number of trans people bend over backwards to be discreet about this.  It's not like they are all strolling naked into the community shower going, "Check this out, fellow beyotches!"

Agreed - the overwhelming majority of legitimately transgender people try to be discreet.  The problem is that if society becomes too afraid to ask difficult questions about a person's status, it could ultimately allow pervs who are not legitimately transgender to stroll into the other locker room to catch a peek...and defend their actions by saying "but I consider myself one of the gals."

Asking these difficult questions would actually help transgender people in the long run, because it would help to weed out people with nefarious motives from those with true transgender identities.

Just my $0.02...and as I said, I am not one of those people who are ridiculing or demeaning people who truly have transgender identities.