[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: One of the weirdest stories out there  (Read 24723 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: One of the weirdest stories out there
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2015, 02:19:41 PM »
What's the name of Bruce's new reality series? "How to Go From Hero to Zero," ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2015, 02:20:37 PM »
Bullsh.t. Why the need to pose on the cover of Vanity Fair? Why the need for a reality series? This guy has children! It's pathetic and far from "courageous."

"Pathetic" is much more accurate than "courageous" when describing Jenner.  

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2015, 02:20:52 PM »
The thing that disturbs me most about this are the “celebrities’” gushing about how courageous he is.  What a fooked up sense of values. The men and women in our military who put their ass on the line for these idiots are courageous. How about the kids or people battling cancer, or the single parent or police and firefighters and on and on.  Those people are courageous. Not some attention whore who can afford to have his junk removed and change genders.

No one said "she is the most courageous person ever" or "she is more courageous then a solider or a kid with cancer."  Why are we supposed to have limits on what can be called courageous?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2015, 02:26:08 PM »
Sure, but there are different levels  of courage. When is the last time you heard Rosie O'Donnell gush over our military? The level of praise this guy is getting isn't proportionate to what he did.

So who in your opinion is more deserving of the Arthur Ashe award given at the ESPYs Bruce Jenner or that girl who played in a college basketball game before she died of brain cancer. What a shame ESPN has to be a tool to get ratings by putting this guy on a pedestal.

Your first mistake is caring about who gets an ESPY or what Rosie O'Donnell thinks (note: I have no idea whether or not Rosie has gushed over the military).

Degrees of courage? OK, sure. I'll buy that. But again, who cares? And who made you the arbiter of what other people should praise and what they shouldn't, and which courageous acts deserve acclaim and which don't?

The only thing that confuses me more here than why people care about the Kardashians and this story, is why people care about the fact people care about the Kardashians and this story.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2015, 02:30:49 PM »
Your first mistake is caring about who gets an ESPY or what Rosie O'Donnell thinks (note: I have no idea whether or not Rosie has gushed over the military).

Degrees of courage? OK, sure. I'll buy that. But again, who cares? And who made you the arbiter of what other people should praise and what they shouldn't, and which courageous acts deserve acclaim and which don't?

The only thing that confuses me more here than why people care about the Kardashians and this story, is why people care about the fact people care about the Kardashians and this story.

Your first and last paragraphs are correct.

I am not claiming to be the arbiter of what people should praise. I am just saying it is disturbing to me and a disappointing commentary on our society. Praise away.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2015, 02:31:56 PM »
You guys disgust me.

If all the former Bruce Jenner wanted was attention, there are plenty of ways to get just as much that would be a lot easier to accomplish.  I was just as shocked as anyone else when it appeared that he was going in this direction.  After all, when I was a kid, he was the epitome of manliness.  But that doesn't mean he is not sincere about this.

Do you know anyone who is openly transgender?  I have a friend who has a transgender son. He is in junior high now, and has insisted that he was a boy since he was a toddler, even though he was born with female parts.  He literally has no friends.  The girls shun him and the boys beat the crap out of him.

Walk a mile in his shoes and see if you still think Caitlyn Jenner is just an attention whore.
Have some patience, FFS.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2015, 02:35:51 PM »
You guys disgust me.

If all the former Bruce Jenner wanted was attention, there are plenty of ways to get just as much that would be a lot easier to accomplish.  I was just as shocked as anyone else when it appeared that he was going in this direction.  After all, when I was a kid, he was the epitome of manliness.  But that doesn't mean he is not sincere about this.

Do you know anyone who is openly transgender?  I have a friend who has a transgender son. He is in junior high now, and has insisted that he was a boy since he was a toddler, even though he was born with female parts.  He literally has no friends.  The girls shun him and the boys beat the crap out of him.

Walk a mile in his shoes and see if you still think Caitlyn Jenner is just an attention whore.

So obviously you HAVE walked a mile in his shoes and know his true feelings and intentions and if he is sincere.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 02:44:00 PM by hairy worthen »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2015, 02:36:44 PM »
So obviously you HAVE walked a mile in his shoes and no his true feelings and intentions and if he is sincere.

What is your point?
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2015, 02:38:43 PM »
Photoshop is your friend, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2015, 02:40:26 PM »
You guys disgust me.

If all the former Bruce Jenner wanted was attention, there are plenty of ways to get just as much that would be a lot easier to accomplish.  I was just as shocked as anyone else when it appeared that he was going in this direction.  After all, when I was a kid, he was the epitome of manliness.  But that doesn't mean he is not sincere about this.

Do you know anyone who is openly transgender?  I have a friend who has a transgender son. He is in junior high now, and has insisted that he was a boy since he was a toddler, even though he was born with female parts.  He literally has no friends.  The girls shun him and the boys beat the crap out of him.

The first transgendered person I encountered was a female student at a private, Catholic school run by nuns.  And the nuns were by far the most understanding and accepting group of people at the school.  This was 20+ years ago.

Look, it is obviously easier for Caitlyn Jenner to come out this way in her circles, but it is exceedingly difficult for most people out there.  It is a courageous act.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2015, 02:48:19 PM »
So obviously you HAVE walked a mile in his shoes and no his true feelings and intentions and if he is sincere.

I struggle to find what is "insincere".  You can have an opinion about how he's handling it, and the press coverage, but personal shots at his choice are absurd.  People who think this is just an attention grab absolutely baffle me.

brandx

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2015, 02:54:34 PM »
Him and that entire family.  I was betting on their 15 minutes being up years ago.  Not sure why they all have such staying power among the general public.

Says more about the general public than it does about them.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2015, 02:57:19 PM »
You guys disgust me.

If all the former Bruce Jenner wanted was attention, there are plenty of ways to get just as much that would be a lot easier to accomplish.  I was just as shocked as anyone else when it appeared that he was going in this direction.  After all, when I was a kid, he was the epitome of manliness.  But that doesn't mean he is not sincere about this.

Do you know anyone who is openly transgender?  I have a friend who has a transgender son. He is in junior high now, and has insisted that he was a boy since he was a toddler, even though he was born with female parts.  He literally has no friends.  The girls shun him and the boys beat the crap out of him.

Thank you!  I can't stand the Kardashians and all they represent but that is no excuse for ignorance and intolerance.

If you know anyone who is transgender you know that it can be extremely isolating even in the best environments.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2015, 02:58:22 PM »
happiness comes from within.  there is no guarantee that anything one does to their self, for their self, buys, sells, drinks, eats, snorts, injects will bring happiness.  once the shine wears off-what do you have left?  i honestly hope he/she finds what he/she is looking for because what else is there?  my concern is, that he/she is honest with him/herself and others so we don't have a bunch of people saying-i want what he/she has and then finds out, this isn't what i thought i was getting-buyers remorse?
don't...don't don't don't don't

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2015, 03:01:53 PM »
I struggle to find what is "insincere".  You can have an opinion about how he's handling it, and the press coverage, but personal shots at his choice are absurd.  People who think this is just an attention grab absolutely baffle me.
Find in any of my posts where I say he is insincere. I believe he is.  Why does he have to pose on the cover of Vanity Faire or have a reality show? Looks like he is looking for attention to me.  Being sincere about his choice and being an attention whore are two different things.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2015, 03:05:01 PM »
Waitin' for F*ckin' to chime in on this one. Although he's probably at the shoe repair shop, as we type, gettin' some new soles and heels, ai na?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 03:23:51 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2015, 03:35:55 PM »
Jenner can do what he/she wants but why does posing in Vanity Fair this rise to the level of worthy of a honor like this?

(he/she ... is gender a voluntary thing?  Can one just announce trey changed their gender?)

Caitlyn Jenner to be Honored with the Arthur Ashe Courage Award at The 2015 ESPYS on ABC July 15

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2015/06/caitlyn-jenner-to-be-honored-with-the-arthur-ashe-courage-award-at-the-2015-espys-on-abc-july-15/

Almost 40 years ago, Bruce Jenner’s Olympic success came as a result of strengthening both his mind and body leading to his status as one of the world’s greatest athletes, but the decision to publicly come out as a transgender woman took a different kind of courage and acceptance of one’s self. To celebrate that bravery, ESPN today announced that Jenner will be presented with the Arthur Ashe Courage Award at The 2015 ESPYS Presented by Capital One. Presented annually to individuals whose contributions transcend sports, the Arthur Ashe Courage Award is the pinnacle of the sports celebration, which will be televised Wednesday, July 15, at 8 p.m. ET on ABC from Nokia Theatre L.A. LIVE.

Jenner’s unyielding resolve and hard work enabled him to win a gold medal in the 1976 Olympics and break world records. He then parlayed that success into a variety of roles across different areas including television, film, auto racing and business. Although Jenner first captured the attention of the nation for his athletic prowess and determination, the same strength of character shone through this past April when he sat down with ABC’s Diane Sawyer to come out as a transgender woman.

“In the past few months, the overwhelming outpouring of support from all over the world for my journey has been incredible,” said Jenner. “However, being honored with this award, which is named after one of my heroes, is truly special. For the first time this July, I will be able to stand as my true self in front of my peers.”

Added executive producer Maura Mandt: “Bruce has received many accolades over the years for being one of the greatest Olympians of our time but The ESPYS are honored to celebrate Bruce becoming Caitlyn. She has shown the courage to embrace a truth that had been hidden for years, and to embark on a journey that may not only give comfort to those facing similar circumstances, but can also help to educate people on the challenges that the transgender community faces.”

The Arthur Ashe Courage Award

The Arthur Ashe Courage Award is presented each year to individuals whose contributions transcend sports.  Past honorees include: Jim Valvano (1993); Steve Palermo (1994); Howard Cosell (1995); Loretta Claiborne (1996); Muhammad Ali (1997); Dean Smith (1998); Billie Jean King (1999); Dave Sanders (2000); Olympian Cathy Freeman (2001); Todd Beamer, Mark Bingham, Tom Burnett and Jeremy Glick, four passengers who lost their lives September 11 on United Flight 93 (2002); Pat and Kevin Tillman (2003); Liberian-born soccer legend George Weah (2004); disabled athletes Emmanuel Ofosu Yeboah and Jim MacLaren (2005); Afghan female athletes (2006); and Trevor Ringland and Dave Cullen for their work with PeacePlayers (2007); U.S. Olympians Tommie Smith and John Carlos (2008); former president Nelson Mandela (2009);  the Thomas family of Parkersburg, IA (2010); boxer Dewey Bozella (2011); women’s basketball coach Pat Summitt (2012); Robin Roberts (2013) and Michael Sam (2014).

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2015, 04:24:51 PM »
Jenner can do what he/she wants but why does posing in Vanity Fair this rise to the level of worthy of a honor like this?

(he/she ... is gender a voluntary thing?  Can one just announce trey changed their gender?)

Caitlyn Jenner to be Honored with the Arthur Ashe Courage Award at The 2015 ESPYS on ABC July 15

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2015/06/caitlyn-jenner-to-be-honored-with-the-arthur-ashe-courage-award-at-the-2015-espys-on-abc-july-15/

Almost 40 years ago, Bruce Jenner’s Olympic success came as a result of strengthening both his mind and body leading to his status as one of the world’s greatest athletes, but the decision to publicly come out as a transgender woman took a different kind of courage and acceptance of one’s self. To celebrate that bravery, ESPN today announced that Jenner will be presented with the Arthur Ashe Courage Award at The 2015 ESPYS Presented by Capital One. Presented annually to individuals whose contributions transcend sports, the Arthur Ashe Courage Award is the pinnacle of the sports celebration, which will be televised Wednesday, July 15, at 8 p.m. ET on ABC from Nokia Theatre L.A. LIVE.

Jenner’s unyielding resolve and hard work enabled him to win a gold medal in the 1976 Olympics and break world records. He then parlayed that success into a variety of roles across different areas including television, film, auto racing and business. Although Jenner first captured the attention of the nation for his athletic prowess and determination, the same strength of character shone through this past April when he sat down with ABC’s Diane Sawyer to come out as a transgender woman.

“In the past few months, the overwhelming outpouring of support from all over the world for my journey has been incredible,” said Jenner. “However, being honored with this award, which is named after one of my heroes, is truly special. For the first time this July, I will be able to stand as my true self in front of my peers.”

Added executive producer Maura Mandt: “Bruce has received many accolades over the years for being one of the greatest Olympians of our time but The ESPYS are honored to celebrate Bruce becoming Caitlyn. She has shown the courage to embrace a truth that had been hidden for years, and to embark on a journey that may not only give comfort to those facing similar circumstances, but can also help to educate people on the challenges that the transgender community faces.”

The Arthur Ashe Courage Award

The Arthur Ashe Courage Award is presented each year to individuals whose contributions transcend sports.  Past honorees include: Jim Valvano (1993); Steve Palermo (1994); Howard Cosell (1995); Loretta Claiborne (1996); Muhammad Ali (1997); Dean Smith (1998); Billie Jean King (1999); Dave Sanders (2000); Olympian Cathy Freeman (2001); Todd Beamer, Mark Bingham, Tom Burnett and Jeremy Glick, four passengers who lost their lives September 11 on United Flight 93 (2002); Pat and Kevin Tillman (2003); Liberian-born soccer legend George Weah (2004); disabled athletes Emmanuel Ofosu Yeboah and Jim MacLaren (2005); Afghan female athletes (2006); and Trevor Ringland and Dave Cullen for their work with PeacePlayers (2007); U.S. Olympians Tommie Smith and John Carlos (2008); former president Nelson Mandela (2009);  the Thomas family of Parkersburg, IA (2010); boxer Dewey Bozella (2011); women’s basketball coach Pat Summitt (2012); Robin Roberts (2013) and Michael Sam (2014).

1. The word you're looking for is she, not he/she.
2. It takes courage to publicly identify as transgender in a society that is incredibly transphobic, as evidenced by this thread, including your belittling implication that the award is because she posed for Vanity Fair.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2015, 04:33:19 PM »
Find in any of my posts where I say he is insincere. I believe he is.  Why does he have to pose on the cover of Vanity Faire or have a reality show? Looks like he is looking for attention to me.  Being sincere about his choice and being an attention whore are two different things.

She had already been celebrity for a decade before she had ever met a Kardashian. By being public about this, she is showing transgender kids and other "misfits" that it is okay to be who you are.  What message would she be sending if she had decided to live in seclusion instead?

Maybe Magic Johnson should have just gone to live on a deserted island when he discovered he was HIV positive.  But instead, he called a press conference that was carried on every network to let everyone know that despite his challenges, he was still the same person.  Was he an attention whore?  Or did he change millions of people's attitudes about HIV?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 04:35:25 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2015, 04:34:06 PM »
Seriously, people? Some really sad commentary from people here, probably because it just makes you uncomfortable.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2015, 04:40:37 PM »
Unfortunately for Caitlyn, my perspective of her story is skewed by the vast level of disdain I have for the Kardashian clan. That her family has a documented "attention whore" dynamic does not go unnoticed. The fact is that I think that her transition would be a *much* smaller story were it not for her family's stature as fame-seekers is not lost on me.

That being said hopefully she can leverage her fame and accomplish something good from the publicity. It is a sad testament to the horrible nature of her family that we even have to discuss the possibility that she is an "attention whore."

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2015, 04:58:34 PM »
She had already been celebrity for a decade before she had ever met a Kardashian. By being public about this, she is showing transgender kids and other "misfits" that it is okay to be who you are.  What message would she be sending if she had decided to live in seclusion instead?

Maybe Magic Johnson should have just gone to live on a deserted island when he discovered he was HIV positive.  But instead, he called a press conference that was carried on every network to let everyone know that despite his challenges, he was still the same person.  Was he an attention whore?  Or did he change millions of people's attitudes about HIV?
That's true she is showing people it is ok to be who you are, but are you sure that is what motivates her to go after publicity? I don't know and you don't either unless like you said you have walked a mile in her shoes. My original point was that she is getting more praise than she deserves. some may feel otherwise that's fine its my opinion.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2015, 05:06:53 PM »
Seriously, people? Some really sad commentary from people here, probably because it just makes you uncomfortable.
interesting comment from someone who has a Schmidt's gay avatar.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:12:44 PM by hairy worthen »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2015, 05:07:24 PM »
That's true she is showing people it is ok to be who you are, but are you sure that is what motivates her to go after publicity? I don't know and you don't either unless like you said you have walked a mile in her shoes. My original point was that she is getting more praise than she deserves. some may feel otherwise that's fine its my opinion.

How do you know she "went after" publicity? Publicity was going after her way, way before she wanted to talk about it.  Have you ever seen the tape of all the paparazzi harassing her as she left a medical clinic?  

There is nothing wrong with wanting to make an announcement on one's own terms.  And what woman wouldn't want to have her picture taken by Annie Leibovitz and have it appear on the cover of Vanity Fair?  I hope she is on Vogue next.  
Have some patience, FFS.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2015, 05:13:43 PM »
How do you know she "went after" publicity? Publicity was going after her way, way before she wanted to talk about it.  Have you ever seen the tape of all the paparazzi harassing her as she left a medical clinic?  

There is nothing wrong with wanting to make an announcement on one's own terms.  And what woman wouldn't want to have her picture taken by Annie Leibovitz and have it appear on the cover of Vanity Fair?  I hope she is on Vogue next.  

Ok believe what you want I will believe what I want