Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz Compensation for FY 13  (Read 21673 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Buzz Compensation for FY 13
« on: May 31, 2015, 03:15:36 PM »
As is required by law, Marquette just posted the IRS Form 990 on line for the fiscal year ending 6/30/14.  Here are the total compensation (salary, bonus, Team Buzz, benefits) figures from some key Hiroshima players, now dearly departed (although there are other casualties listed in here as well).

Buzz Williams: $3,287,170
Terri Mitchell: $487,417
Larry Williams: $467,580
Issac Chew: $366,314
Scott Pilarz:  $157,890 (not bad for a vow of poverty)
Bob Wild: $0
Bill Cords: Not listed, guessing $0 as he was also retired and is drawing a pension.

Buzz left for a salary of $2.3 million, when he was making a salary of $3,111,606 in taxable income at Marquette his last year, or $800+k less. The VTech basketball budget he inherited was reported to be half what he left at MU.

None of these particular players were listed to have received a severance package, but that may appear in next year's form depending on the exit agreements.

What a waste of the King's treasure.  Let's get a manager to flush this mess.

http://www.marquette.edu/financeoffice/documents/FY14TY13MU990PUBLIC.pdf

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Buzz Compensation for FY 13
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 03:35:16 PM »
As is required by law, Marquette just posted the IRS Form 990 on line for the fiscal year ending 6/30/14.  Here are the total compensation (salary, bonus, Team Buzz, benefits) figures from some key Hiroshima players, now dearly departed (although there are other casualties listed in here as well).

Buzz Williams: $3,287,170
Terri Mitchell: $487,417
Larry Williams: $467,580
Issac Chew: $366,314
Bob Wild: $0
Bill Cords: Not listed, guessing $0 as he was also retired and is drawing a pension.

Buzz left for a salary of $2.3 million, when he was making a salary of $3,111,606 in taxable income at Marquette his last year, or $800+k less. The VTech basketball budget he inherited was reported to be half what he left at MU.

None of these particular players were listed to have received a severance package, but that may appear in next year's form depending on the exit agreements.

What a waste of the King's treasure.  Let's get a manager to flush this mess.

http://www.marquette.edu/financeoffice/documents/FY14TY13MU990PUBLIC.pdf

$193K per win.
Righteous bucks.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 03:51:11 PM »
It still amazes me (it shouldn't, but it does) that more media hasn't raised questions about his departure.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 04:05:01 PM »
Guess Bumstead just didn't feel wanted here any more, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 04:48:32 PM »
It still amazes me (it shouldn't, but it does) that more media hasn't raised questions about his departure.

If we had done well his last year or if we did well wojos first year then I'd bet more people would be writing about it. But for now it kinda seems like he was jumping off a sinking ship.
Maigh Eo for Sam

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 05:10:14 PM »
What a joke and extremely laughable. About as funny as No Dick still paying Charlie Weiss about 2 million this year. Those crazy catholic institutions forgot about frugality. But it goes full circle to Buzz: "I'll be at MU as long as they want me." Or to paraphrase Jack warden to Paul Newman in the Verdict: "You won. When they offer you the money, you have won." BTW, although it was fiction, that was a Catholic archdiocese offering the money. Oh those crazy Catholics with their money. Father Flanagan is turning in his grave. And so is Saint Peter turning over.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 05:13:46 PM »
My guess is Buzz has a similar Team Buzz fund at Va Tech. Contrary to all reports, I don't think he took near the pay cut he convinced the media he took.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 05:17:15 PM »
If we had done well his last year or if we did well wojos first year then I'd bet more people would be writing about it. But for now it kinda seems like he was jumping off a sinking ship.

I understand what the national perception is, I'm just surprised there isn't a national hoops writer that was willing to poke around. MU has been incredibly tight lipped about the whole thing, which leads me to believe there might be skeletons there too.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 05:18:21 PM »
My guess is Buzz has a similar Team Buzz fund at Va Tech. Contrary to all reports, I don't think he took near the pay cut he convinced the media he took.
Brew, I always believed that Sultan was the King Buzz slurper, but you are definitely moving up during the stretch drive.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

duanewade

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 05:44:41 PM »
I'd be curious if women's basketball even grosses $500,000 annually which is about what they paid the coach.

Title 9 destroyed the Big East as all these schools inspite of making big money off men's football and basketball are still going broke subsidizing sports like volleyball with scholarships and coaches salary for sports that gross less than a sundry in a hotel. Because of this schools like Maryland had to change conferences for more money to pay for their deficits.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 05:46:38 PM »
I understand what the national perception is, I'm just surprised there isn't a national hoops writer that was willing to poke around. MU has been incredibly tight lipped about the whole thing, which leads me to believe there might be skeletons there too.

It was spin. The initial report was that he took a pay cut, but I always found it hard to believe a guy who was so focused on numbers would take less money for a lesser job. My guess is his base salary is less than what he made at Marquette, which allowed his media cronies like Parrish and Goodman to sell the pay cut story. However, I'm sure any national guy that poked around would find incentives and Team Buzz bonuses would show Buzz making more at Va Tech. Something tells me "coach leaves for more pay in ESPN's favorite conference" wouldn't make much of a headline.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2015, 05:55:45 PM »
I'd be curious if women's basketball even grosses $500,000 annually which is about what they paid the coach.

Title 9 destroyed the Big East as all these schools inspite of making big money off men's football and basketball are still going broke subsidizing sports like volleyball with scholarships and coaches salary for sports that gross less than a sundry in a hotel. Because of this schools like Maryland had to change conferences for more money to pay for their deficits.

Title IX has been around longer than the Big East.
Hard to say Title IX regulations destroyed the conference when the conference has never been without them.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2015, 06:16:03 PM »
Bumstead grabbed the first gig that wanted him and would pay a lotta bread, even if it was less than he was makin' at MU. That's what a desparate putz does when he wants outta a situation, hey?
He swung and whiffed on Auburn first, doe.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 07:59:11 PM »

I appreciate your attempt at snark here, but all Jesuits donate their salaries to the order in exchange for a stipend.
Have some patience, FFS.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 08:00:08 PM »
What a joke and extremely laughable. About as funny as No Dick still paying Charlie Weiss about 2 million this year. Those crazy catholic institutions forgot about frugality. But it goes full circle to Buzz: "I'll be at MU as long as they want me." Or to paraphrase Jack warden to Paul Newman in the Verdict: "You won. When they offer you the money, you have won." BTW, although it was fiction, that was a Catholic archdiocese offering the money. Oh those crazy Catholics with their money. Father Flanagan is turning in his grave. And so is Saint Peter turning over.

I think he was true to his word. I think he knew the administration was no longer happy with him. He left before the lynch mob. Buzz is quirky, but he is not stupid.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2015, 08:55:23 PM »
I appreciate your attempt at snark here, but all Jesuits donate their salaries to the order in exchange for a stipend.

Fr. Wild was never listed on the 990 (such as below) as taking a "stipend", nor had Pilarz in the past. Perhaps a separation stipend or an accounting change?

http://www.marquette.edu/financeoffice/documents/FY11990PUBLIC.pdf
http://www.marquette.edu/financeoffice/documents/TY11FY12MU990PUBLIC.pdf

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2015, 09:10:16 PM »
Buzz was also worried about the future of the reconfigured Big East.  The conference is no longer on ESPN, none of the schools sponsor football (which is the biggest deal in college athletics today, and there was genuine concern the league would be able to keep up the level of success moving forward.  The ACC is the top basketball league in the country, and is a power conference.

As shown in years past, Buzz is betting on himself.  He is betting on himself to turn Virginia Tech into a quality basketball program, he is betting on himself being successful in the tournament and he is betting on himself to be embraced and loved at the school - for however long the school will have him.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2015, 09:23:47 PM »
The pay cut wasn't Bert's false story story.  That's the truth.  The fear of the Big East sinking Marquette's program was the false story.  Bert knew that the Big East would be just fine if you're at or near the top of it every year.  What troubled Bert was that the administration stopped letting him just bring in whoever the heck he wanted to bring in no matter what the background and/or issues with the recruit were.  They finally stopped bending over backwards for him, and when he asked them to do it again they finally called his bluff.  Bert's ego had gotten too big for his own good and he couldn't stick around.  He needed things done his way and if not then he was gone.  So, he gowne.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2015, 09:24:43 PM »
It was spin. The initial report was that he took a pay cut, but I always found it hard to believe a guy who was so focused on numbers would take less money for a lesser job. My guess is his base salary is less than what he made at Marquette, which allowed his media cronies like Parrish and Goodman to sell the pay cut story. However, I'm sure any national guy that poked around would find incentives and Team Buzz bonuses would show Buzz making more at Va Tech. Something tells me "coach leaves for more pay in ESPN's favorite conference" wouldn't make much of a headline.

Paint Touches laid out the bonus incentives (not a ton of cash).  We will have to wait a year for the Virginia Tech Foundation 990 to see if there is a Team Buzz Williams income stream unless JayBee or PT can hunt down his final contract details.

http://painttouches.com/2014/05/14/buzz-williams-virginia-tech-contract-details/

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2015, 09:26:31 PM »
Paint Touches laid out the bonus incentives (not a ton of cash).  We will have to wait a year for the Virginia Tech Foundation 990 to see if there is a Team Buzz Williams income stream unless JayBee or PT can hunt down his final contract details.

http://painttouches.com/2014/05/14/buzz-williams-virginia-tech-contract-details/

I'm sure Chicos just had a beer with VT's AD, he should just be able to ask him what Bert's total income is.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2015, 10:01:18 PM »
Fr. Wild was never listed on the 990 (such as below) as taking a "stipend", nor had Pilarz in the past. Perhaps a separation stipend or an accounting change?

http://www.marquette.edu/financeoffice/documents/FY11990PUBLIC.pdf
http://www.marquette.edu/financeoffice/documents/TY11FY12MU990PUBLIC.pdf
No idea but compensation can be more than salary. Personal travel, considerations of other kinds, or perhaps severance in this case?
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2015, 10:16:51 PM »
No idea but compensation can be more than salary. Personal travel, considerations of other kinds, or perhaps severance in this case?

You don't get a severance package when you quit a job, even if your current job is happy about it. He might've received a few free empty cardboard boxes but that's about it.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2015, 11:00:18 PM »
You don't get a severance package when you quit a job, even if your current job is happy about it. He might've received a few free empty cardboard boxes but that's about it.

Not when you quit, but according to the PT article, Buzz gets a nice severance if he's terminated. Would be paid the full value of the contract through 2021 even if he takes another job. Essentially, Va Tech can't fire him.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2015, 11:07:50 PM »
I think he was true to his word. I think he knew the administration was no longer happy with him. He left before the lynch mob. Buzz is quirky, but he is not stupid.

There was no current administration when he left. They were already dumped.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2015, 11:11:28 PM »
Not when you quit, but according to the PT article, Buzz gets a nice severance if he's terminated. Would be paid the full value of the contract through 2021 even if he takes another job. Essentially, Va Tech can't fire him.
I was referring to Pilarz, who was fired.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

feedback